Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Evolution of Oda's Artstyle

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

The Evolution of Oda's Artstyle

As One Piece Fans, we couldn't help to feel amazed by his works..for that i want to ask..

i agree if mangaka will improve their skills along drawing each chapter every week, example:
    Dragon Ball (from kinda chubby character into a sturdy character, i think its after Freeza Saga)

so my question is

Could anyone find the chapter/arc where Oda drastically change the way he drew One Piece, or he just slightly gets better and better

because if u see older chapter, u can see his drawings are quite..clean, and to be compared with Oda nowadays, it's sure faraway messier than that, but somehow more dramatical and emotional.

THX

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Answer My Curiosity

oh oda had some dates where you can say it, an example from the german wiki:

http://de.opwiki.org/wiki/Kategorie:...r%C3%A4nderung

in begins in alabaste to change ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohh I always thought of something like that and didn't know that it existed. I even thought of making such a change-over-time thing myself but I was to lazy, nice to see that it already exists^^
    I think that compared to older chapters there are more details nowadays.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Ohh I always thought of something like that and didn't know that it existed. I even thought of making such a change-over-time thing myself but I was to lazy, nice to see that it already exists^^
    I think that compared to older chapters there are more details nowadays.
    Thx Sachsenhesse, but i cant understand GERMAN!!! =D

yes, its getting more detail, but if u see his drawing lines, it gets more...how can u say, thick and thin, and somewhat more rough..the biggest difference is in older chapter, Oda RARELY drew backgrounds and such, but after some chapter (yes, probably arabasta, it's the first One Piece longest and biggest yet somehow boring arc for some people =p) his background suddenly turns up crazy, sometimes until we cant notice where is the character, hahaha...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Thx Sachsenhesse, but i cant understand GERMAN!!! =D
    Thats your fault not mine.

Thats the only site i know where such a thing exists. :/

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is no line separating. It gets better and better. Chopper body form completely changed. It often influencies the anime.

In Dragonball, look at the young Goku shadow over Uub to see how the drawing style changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

well all drawing peoples have their style which evolves. Look at the first Tintin or Asterix for the most known western BD
    Plus in the case of Manga, the drawing is generally done by a team. Maybe the details increased when Oda was more famous and could hire more people :-)
    By the way do we know how many people are in charge of drawing one piece ? and what does Oda do ?

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

In the latest SBS (volume 52 sbs4):
    Quote Originally Posted by http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1003664&postcount=213
    Someone asks if Oda uses assistants or not since his art style is so consistant. Oda replies that he draws all moving things in the comic. Any mangaka that leaves moving things to assistants comes away looking somewhat 'different'. He specifies: crowd scenes, animals, smoke, clouds and the sea.

dunno how many assistants he has though, sry.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most manga-ka use assistants only to draw backgrounds and stuff. I think Oda did mention it in an SBS somewhere, but I really don't know which one it was, and I don't feel like searching through about 40 of them to check. And the kid Goku that appears next to Uub in the redone last 3 pages of Dragon Ball was drawn in 2005 (or 2004, one or the other), so it is a far cry from Toriyama's style in 1985, around when the series started.

EDIT: And it seems that Akainu found it. Thanks alot. I thought it was an older one, though, but apparently not...

As for me, I don't notice a "progression" of Oda's artwork as much as I notice that each arc seems to have its own style. Skypiea, for instance, was one of Oda's more stylized phases, with long necks and pointy chins, but it's one of my favorite artstyles of his. In the original East Blue style, the characters were a bit stubbier, less lanky, Luffy sometimes looked much younger than he is because he was drawn as shorter. Alabasta was probably when Oda's style was at it's most realistic, things like the breast proportions, the lankiness of the characters, and Chopper didn't look as stylized or exaggerated as they did in other arcs. The CP9 Saga artstyle had the characters drawn as too clear cut shape, too square, or too circular, sort of knobby, it's hard to explain. Then the Thriller Bark style made the character's faces too round, almost circles. I really didn't like the Thriller Bark style, but then around Sabaody Oda's style became far more realistic, more like the Alabasta style, but with a clear amount of the loopy stylization that defines his style. The Sabaody, Skypiea, and East Blue artstyles are probably my favorites.

Chopper, by the way, is a mess. Oda never wanted him to become the "cutesy animal mascot", and as such did not draw him in any way resembling cutesy. Toei, however, had other plans, and has been marketing Chopper as the cutesy mascot of the series since he was introduced, even going so far as to get Ikue Otani (known for doing the voice of Pikachu) to voice Chopper. So to go with how he's marketed, Oda had been drawing Chopper in a more an more cutesy and less and less animalistic manner as time has passed. Chopper was drawn very clumsily in the Drum Island arc, he looked plain ugly, much like Usopp did when he was first introduced (I think it took the rest of East Blue until Oda was okay at drawing Usopp) but he looked like a realistic "chibi-racoon" by the end of the Alabasta. I personally think that Chopper was drawn best during Skypiea. But after Skypiea, his muzzle slowly grew less prominent, there was less fur drawn on him, and his body became a bit more childlike. The way Oda draws Chopper these days bothers me, to be honest, but I just blame Toei. I do hope that he eventually starts drawing Chopper more like a chibi-reindeer and less like a furry child with a blue nose at sometime in the future.

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Most manga-ka use assistants only to draw backgrounds and stuff. I think Oda did mention it in an SBS somewhere, but I really don't know which one it was, and I don't feel like searching through about 40 of them to check. And the kid Goku that appears next to Uub in the redone last 3 pages of Dragon Ball was drawn in 2005 (or 2004, one or the other), so it is a far cry from Toriyama's style in 1985, around when the series started.

EDIT: And it seems that Akainu found it. Thanks alot. I thought it was an older one, though, but apparently not...

As for me, I don't notice a "progression" of Oda's artwork as much as I notice that each arc seems to have its own style. Skypiea, for instance, was one of Oda's more stylized phases, with long necks and pointy chins, but it's one of my favorite artstyles of his. In the original East Blue style, the characters were a bit stubbier, less lanky, Luffy sometimes looked much younger than he is because he was drawn as shorter. Alabasta was probably when Oda's style was at it's most realistic, things like the breast proportions, the lankiness of the characters, and Chopper didn't look as stylized or exaggerated as they did in other arcs. The CP9 Saga artstyle had the characters drawn as too clear cut shape, too square, or too circular, sort of knobby, it's hard to explain. Then the Thriller Bark style made the character's faces too round, almost circles. I really didn't like the Thriller Bark style, but then around Sabaody Oda's style became far more realistic, more like the Alabasta style, but with a clear amount of the loopy stylization that defines his style. The Sabaody, Skypiea, and East Blue artstyles are probably my favorites.

Chopper, by the way, is a mess. Oda never wanted him to become the "cutesy animal mascot", and as such did not draw him in any way resembling cutesy. Toei, however, had other plans, and has been marketing Chopper as the cutesy mascot of the series since he was introduced, even going so far as to get Ikue Otani (known for doing the voice of Pikachu) to voice Chopper. So to go with how he's marketed, Oda had been drawing Chopper in a more an more cutesy and less and less animalistic manner as time has passed. Chopper was drawn very clumsily in the Drum Island arc, he looked plain ugly, much like Usopp did when he was first introduced (I think it took the rest of East Blue until Oda was okay at drawing Usopp) but he looked like a realistic "chibi-racoon" by the end of the Alabasta. I personally think that Chopper was drawn best during Skypiea. But after Skypiea, his muzzle slowly grew less prominent, there was less fur drawn on him, and his body became a bit more childlike. The way Oda draws Chopper these days bothers me, to be honest, but I just blame Toei. I do hope that he eventually starts drawing Chopper more like a chibi-reindeer and less like a furry child with a blue nose at sometime in the future.
    whew now i really want to look at the previous OnePiece chapter to find the difference =p you certainly are a huge fan of One Piece. I never thought that his style changed in every arc. THX imitorar =D

i just seen his changes in a point where i could divide it in the "used to be" Oda and "the new Oda", and yes people often realize the differences when Arabasta Arc started, and turns out that you like Arabasta the most (personally hate it, to much politics and long). For Skypiea, the reason u like it, personally i think it's because it's the first time when Oda really drew something "imposibble" in terms of the whole scene. Before Skypiea, it always happen on ground, but in Skypiea, it happens on the cloud, so he really use his imagination a lot, and if u notice, before Skypiea, the island is not too weird, but after Skypiea, the island is always "far beyond our imagination", like Thriller Bark, and the best one is Shabondy Archipelago. its just so interesting the fact that mangrove is a true in our world and he exaggerated it until the point that the mangrove can turn into a group of island, and secrets BUBBLE OIL!! COOOOLLL..... =D

from what i have here,yes i think Oda have some assistants who'd help him doing backgrounds etc, while he's occupied in drawing "moving things" (as stated by Akainu), as for older chapter (probably from book 1 to 10??) its kinda empty maybe because his assistant is only one or two teeheehee

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Evolution of Oda's Artstyle

Actually, my favorite arc is the Arlong Arc, closely followed by the Skypiea saga (the whole thing, including Jaya). I'm not that fond of Alabasta storywise either, and I'm perplexed by the standing it's achieved in the fandom. I mean, it was still a great story, but I don't think that it's the best that One Piece has to offer. However, Oda's style was certainly at its most realistic then, regardless of the story. And for those who like that sort of thing, the Alabasta artstyle would probably be the most pleasing.

I tend to put FAR more weight on the story of a comic than I do on the art, because in my opinion, the art is there to convey the story, as opposed to the story being there to elaborate on the art. So I wouldn't drop a manga because of an unsatisfying artstyle, and I don't usually analyze a series's art so much. But I obsess over One Piece more than I do over nearly any series except Dragon Ball, so I've made some observations about the artstyle. Besides, I may not focus on it much, but I can still notice differences and progressions. It's just that those aren't dealbreakers, or even significant factors to me.
    Last edited by Imitorar; February 23, 2009 at 10:46 PM.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

if thats the case, just imagine u read One Piece in the style of "Crayon Shinchan", will it bother you? for me, a great story comes with a great style of art (or at least, decent art)

for arabasta, i myself hated this arc, for all the politics and stuffs, its kinda hard and somewhat boring..for me..from this arc i left One Piece...and u know what, i read it again from book 31-34 (flashback of shandora, enel's epic fight, and the best..FOXY BATTLE!! i read it 10x and I still laugh!! ahahaha XD)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't think I'd have minded if One Piece was originally draw in a style resembling that of Crayon Shin-chan, but I must admit, the style DOES fit Oda's storytelling style very well, and it's become a bit iconic as "the One Piece style". The story and the style are tied, kind of like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3, or Kinnikuman, all classic Jump serieses with distinctive artstyles that they've become known for.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

u can say that because u've already addicted to One Piece =) and yeah i agree..IT FITS ODA =) and a lil out of topic..i dunno why, but i get annoyed when i saw "RAVE", coz i always think that he's kinda imitate Oda, in some sort of way..hummm...

but well...One Piece indeed are the one and only manga i loved so far (along with Tetsuwan Atom, Dragon Ball & Rurouni Kenshin, and last but not least, Naruto)

this thread is closed, unless you people want to throw in some more debates, your welcome =)

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Compare to bleach, which I read now only for the drawing, I would say that I read One piece mostly for the story. When I read a Bande Dessinée, the drawing is usually quite important to me and if the author as an original style that is a very good plus.
    In case of Oda, I would not say he is original, but his storytelling and his imagination are so damn good that I forget about it.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast