Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Naruto Databooks - R/T/S & Index

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naruto Databooks - First Info on DB3!

Quote Originally Posted by tora-chan View Post
    Well, first of all, if you paraphrased it you have to write "the translation is based on tora-chan's translation, but I paraphrased it", because otherwise it looks like it was done by me.

Secondly, I don't know if you possess any Japanese knowledge at all, but if you're not sure about the original meaning you shouldn't paraphrase another person's translation. Your work ended up containing countless mistakes, both in meaning and in English grammar.. ^^; I don't understand how that may sound smooth to your ears, but really, it became a whole different thing compared to what's actually written in the book. I wouldn't call that "translation" **;

This is one of the worst examples, but not by all means the only one:
    (from page 44)
    With his eyes set on victory is the reason behind his power to win!

It doesn't make sense in English.. What does it mean? ^^;;
    The same line as in my translation:
    His gaze is fixed upon the word "victory". That is why he can also see the way that leads to it.

I don't know, maybe it doesn't sound as smooth to you, but I think it makes sense ^^;

Anyway, sorry if I sounded too harsh, but really, I think that if one doesn't know Japanese s/he should be very careful editing other people's translations.. For all that you know, you might be changing the meaning to something completely different... Also, I may not be a native speaker of the English language, but I can tell that your grammar and syntax are far from perfect... ^^; I appreciate anyone that wants to help in bringing translations/scanlations to the world, but one should ask oneself whether s/he has the necessary skills to do it or not.. If you can't translate you can still scanlate, but in that case you'd better stick to the translations already provided by others, without modifying them. If you think that a translation contains a mistake or might be improved, you're free to (moreover, I encourage you to) contact the translator to discuss about it ^^

EDIT: I didn't notice that Naruto's profile received the same treatment as Sasuke's... As I said, please change the credit to "based on tora-chan's translation but paraphrased by me", both in Sasuke's and Naruto's profiles, wherever you wrote it. I don't like to be credited for something that is not 100% mine, especially if the quality is way lower ^^;
    1) i edited my posts to include the paraphrasing
    2) i didn't notice that i wrote that. i was watching family guy while typing and wasn't paying attention. i meant to write in something like "his victory is ensured by the fact that his eyes are always looking on towards it." or something in that regard.
    3) it's not that your translation isn't good or smooth, i just have a bad habit of paraphrasing things. besides, sometimes i need to shorten it so that it fits within the allotted space.
    4) thank you for the advice. and you only sounded it bit harsh. otherwise, thank you for your open criticism
    5) i corrected some of the spelling errors and grammatical mistakes and i'll try to re-post them by tomorrow.
    6) and if u could mail me some of the errors to my account, that could help. you don't have to, but...
    Last edited by slmcknett; September 17, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eagle's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to start the scanlation of some pages, and my advices for it will be :

1. Credits the translator & raw provider on the pages, not only in your posts.
    2. Just copy/paste the translation, do not paraphrase. If you can't, then don't scanlate. And if the text is too long, then choose another font or ask the translator to make a sentence shorter.
    3. Don't be distracted when you're typesetting, that's not a good excuse for your own mistakes.

Keep it up!

3. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rene_01's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

i wana say thx to slmcknett and to tora-chan, the reason is simple because of your work i can do this:
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

As you can see is in spanish and thx to your work i can translate the databook to this languaje so ALOT of ppl can read the databook in their own languaje and well thats something really good.... anywayl thx again for your work and keep going.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rene_01 View Post
    i wana say thx to slmcknett and to tora-chan, the reason is simple because of your work i can do this:
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

As you can see is in spanish and thx to your work i can translate the databook to this languaje so ALOT of ppl can read the databook in their own languaje and well thats something really good.... anywayl thx again for your work and keep going.
    ur welcome. but lets not forget about eagle, who provided the raw scans

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all...

This is my attempt on editing a manga page here.. any comment would appreciated..

Spoiler show
    Last edited by syazx; September 19, 2008 at 12:13 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tora-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syazx View Post
    Hi all...

This is my attempt on editing a manga page here.. any comment would appreciated..

Spoiler show

The picture is displayed as a thumbnail Although if you remove "th." it works (I did and I could see the full pic XD)

I like how you edited the page!
    The only thing I don't like is your choice of fonts

The bold ones you used for the catchphrases are fine, ditto for the balloons. But this is a guidebook that is meant to be read, much like a normal book (not manga), thus I personally think that we should use a font that is not comic-style. This is why I don't really like the font you used for the main text (WildWords) and the captions (the lines under the pics)
    I think you could try and use a "normal" font (like what you would use to write an essay in Word, for example XD), or better, two "normal" fonts, one for the main text and another one for the captions. Comic-style fonts don't distinguish between upper and lower-case, thus they aren't really suited for books that contain long texts (at least IMO).

Anyway, this was my two cents Apart from that, the editing looks fine ^^
    Thank you very much for taking the time to try and scanlate the pages, it's really appreciated! Keep up the work~

Wanna read my databook translations? Click here!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nahkampfbiber's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all...

Spoiler show
    Good work.
    The stats have Ninjutsu twice, though. You forgot to change it to Genjutsu the second time.

Also, I'm fine with the fonts. Most scanlations of the old Databooks used WildWorlds, too... so I'm used to it.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, I didn't notice the "genjutsu" thing! XD

By the way, I noticed just now that the title "Uzumaki Naruto" isn't changed either! XD;

Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx tora-chan and nahkampfbiber for the comment...

this is the corrected scanlated page... change the character line and caption to "common" font and edit the "twice ninjutsu" problem.

Spoiler show

btw, I purposely do not change the title as the name in English already provided.

Edit: add the next page for Naruto (26-27)
    Spoiler show

The rest of my scanlating attempt will be post here
    Last edited by syazx; September 20, 2008 at 04:10 AM.

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx tora-chan and nahkampfbiber for the comment...

this is the corrected scanlated page... change the character line and caption to "common" font and edit the "twice ninjutsu" problem.

Oohh, that looks VERY good! You did a good job with the font choosing! ^^

When you're finished with the whole profile, if you want, you can post your work in this thread and/or also link it here. I'll put a link to it in my translation post too ^^

Thank you for your efforts!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

In case noone noticed XD I have finished Naruto's profile too

24-25: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1...naruto2ew6.jpg
    26-27: http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9...inarutoai6.jpg
    28-29:http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/670...inarutoxq9.jpg
    30-31:http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/294...inarutobn7.jpg
    32:http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/3...inarutokc7.jpg

Also there is a section for the Databook scanlations,so it will be better if we dont flood this thread with the same pages,that way we will keep reading the news easier. It just my opinion though.

16. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

i've already finish scanlating Sasuke page 40-43

Have a look Here

and do not forget to comment...

Edited: btw, i would like to share my cleaned, untexted page from the databook... Should i put it here in this thread or create a new thread?
    Last edited by syazx; September 21, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm back home (kinda) and I finally finished translating Itachi's profile. You can find it here

i've already finish scanlating Sasuke page 40-43

Have a look Here

and do not forget to comment...

Edited: btw, i would like to share my cleaned, untexted page from the databook... Should i put it here in this thread or create a new thread?

Sorry for the late reply x_X

I like how you edited The only thing I'd change is this: I'd remove the horizontal dotty lines within a same text area. For example, in the "Reunion" part in page 42-43 I'd remove the dotty line between "heart in the least" and "Bonds might". This is because in my opinion that line makes it look like the two texts are separated, though they're actually a single one ("Reunion" indeed). English is not written vertically like Japanese, so those lines aren't really needed (at least IMHO)

As for where to post, I'm not very sure :/ I mean, I don't know if that thread was created for eaballer10's scanlations or if it's open to any scanlation.. I guess if you plan to do many of them you could open your own thread and update it from time to time..

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Toboe LoneWolf's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, as a heads up for everyone, Pazuzu's also doing Databook 3 translations.

Thus far he's got:
    Tenten
    Neji
    Rock Lee
    Maito Gai
    Suigetsu
    Juugo
    Danzo
    and he's currently working on Sai and others (he has a updated thread in his section)

Also, with the new HQ update scan by JapFlap, I made a scanlation for Tenten, pg 112-113.

I don't have that many fonts on my computer, and I'm really bad at finding what kind of fonts other scanlators have already used, but I did my best.
    ...And so he howled, long and plaintive, woebegone and heartsore, yearning for what was and what would never come again.

21. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

My PC died few weeks ago :P But know i have a new one,so expect to catch up with the latest scanlations... :P

New Reply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast