Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yonkou Discussion Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yonkou Discussion Thread

Name says it all. Discuss anything and everything Yonkou here, fighting styles, future roles in the story, relationships with other pirates, etc. I created this thread while I was getting ready to respond to another topic, which would have been off-topic for that discussion, so I just decided to go ahead and create an all purpose thread for the Yonkou since they are becoming more prominent in the story.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I also firmly believe that Shanks's strength isn't totally down to his swordsmanship, but to the way he infuses Haki with his fighting style.
    I think there's more to Shanks's strength than just sword fighting.
    I'm the opposite, I think Shanks' strength could be solely based on swordsmanship. In fact, I would love it if that were the case. While I'm sure he is a boss in the application of Haki, I don't see how that'd change his fighting style. What would make his Haki equipment different from everyone else's? Haki is supposed to supplement the users strength, the ability itself isn't really a fighting technique. Unless of course he found a way to make a phantom limb with Haki and fight with "two" arms.

We've seen plenty of sword styles in this series, Shanks most likely has his own and it's most likely just as strong as Mihawks.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yonkou Discussion Thread

I just opened this thread by chance, and... Well its me lol.

I mean, the way he stopped Akainu's magma punch was frighteningly cool, since for a magma punch, Shanks's sword was completely unaffected.

His strength is the real deal,

Remember this moment?
    Spoiler show

Or

So Shanks is really strong.
    In terms of Swordsmanship, due to his lack of a DF, his abilities are probably based on Swordsmanship I guess.

It depends on how you view the term "Strongest Swordsman".
    Mihawk is the worlds strongest Swordsmen.
    But how LONG has he had this rank?
    Rayleigh is a Swordsman. Is Mihawk stronger than Rayleigh? I'll tell you hell no. Well certainly not Rayleigh in his prime.

I think there needs to be many methods in which to see how they judge the "Strongest Swordsman" in the One Piece universe.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because oda didnt show us enough from mihawk towards the readers, doesnt take away that oda himself stated in both sbs manga that mihawk is the strongest swordsman in the world.

Sure both Rayleigh and shanks have been hyped quite abit, and yes they are both swordsman.
    But also both of them are less powerfull then mihawk in 1 vs 1.
    if that wasnt the case, Mihawk wouldnt be the strongest swordsman lol.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    if that wasnt the case, Mihawk wouldnt be the strongest swordsman lol.
    That's why I think its not as simple as that.

While its clear as day Mihawk has to be Yonkou level with Shanks, is it really easy to say Mihawk is stronger than Rayleigh?
    The right-hand man of the strongest man ever?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

While its clear as day Mihawk has to be Yonkou level with Shanks, is it really easy to say Mihawk is stronger than Rayleigh?
    an very aged man who hadn't touched his sword in years right hand man of the strongest man of his era.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was putzing about in the anime thread when I see 7pac, Razh, and llaubacher discussing the mysterious man that showed up in this photo and lately in the anime when Law gave his gears speech.

Anyway, I was looking at both the pic and the still from the episode and I noticed something. The anime depicts him as wearing a type of metal mask or something similar, which I also thought he was wearing when I first viewed it. But upon closer inspection of the above image...I don't think it's a metal mask. It looks like he's wearing some type of skin over his face. You can see the change in color when it goes from a dark tanned color to the lighter skin tone around his mouth. At first I thought the dark, thick curve was the just the underside of the metal mask, but seeing how it goes thin when it reaches where his nose should be made me think other wise. Now I'm sure what it is. It might be hair or something.

If I'm late on this sorry, but hey, props to any and everyone who noticed this.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member 7pac's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if this is offtopic.

But oda himself Stated Mihawk is the strongest swordsman in the world.
    Rayleigh and Shanks are both Swordsman. So according to the author of the manga Mihawk is the strongest swordsman so above both shanks and Ryleigh.
    Why are you still in denial?confusedconfused

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7pac View Post
    Sorry if this is offtopic.

But oda himself Stated Mihawk is the strongest swordsman in the world.
    Rayleigh and Shanks are both Swordsman. So according to the author of the manga Mihawk is the strongest swordsman so above both shanks and Ryleigh.
    Why are you still in denial?confusedconfused
    Mihawk doesn't even want to fight with Shanks because he lost his arm. Shanks could still potentially be as strong as Mihawk, but since Mihawk probably sees fighting a one armed man as dishonorable, we will never see them fight. As for Rayleigh, that dude is trying to live his life without trouble. He isn't going around looking for fights. He doesn't have anything to prove. He could probably match Mihawk in fight to if the need arose though. However, if the crack theory that he was the former World's Greatest Swordsman is true and Mihawk beat him in a sword fight then you have something.

Also it looks like Airgrimes was talking about strength in general. He could still be a better swordsman than Rayleigh, but still be weaker overall. I'm sure Zoro is a better swordsman than Garp, but it doesn't make him stronger overall.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Well because Zoro and Garp have completely different fighting styles?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7pac View Post
    Well because Zoro and Garp have completely different fighting styles?
    It was just an example(maybe a poor one), but I'm talking about strength in general. Mihawk could be the better swordsman than Rayleigh when it comes to skill, but overall Rayleigh is most likely stronger.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I don't mean to offend you, but you, Airgrimes, and a lot of one piece fans tend to assume things out out of hype.
    What makes you think that Rayleigh is most likely stronger? Don't get me confused I love Shanks as much as Rayleigh, they are both extremely powerful individuals. But let's be honest it's just hype.
    Furthermore, In a battle, Shanks vs Mihawk or Rayleigh vs Mihawk, how would this "stronger" attribute come into play?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right. It's all hype and titles. But you are doing the same, assuming Mihawk is stronger than Rayleigh or Shanks. We've seen no evidence of the matter. All we know is that Mihawk refuses to fight Shanks. Is it because Mihawk believes Shanks lost power? We don't know. He just doesn't want to fight him. And Rayleigh and Mihawk haven't said one word about the other so they have nothing in common except teaching a Strawhat, being a swordsman, and knowing Shanks. We only have the manga to go off of and that is where the assumption come from. And we make these assumptions because of what other people say about them and the reputation they've gained in the seas. We get hyped, because people in the manga hype them up. Unless we see them in action, that is all we get to go by.

Mihawk is called the Strongest Swordsman in the World by everyone who talks about him. Hype.

Rayleigh was the former right hand man to the Late Pirate King, whose known rivals were Garp and Whitebeard "The Strongest Man in the World". Hype.

Shanks is a Yonkou, one of the four most powerful pirates on the sea. Hype.

We've seen these people do a couple of things, but in the end we still don't know their full capabilities. So we fill in the blanks ourselves until a point comes where we can see it in the manga.

As for the last question, I don't know. Rayleigh could be a better haki user. He could be physically stronger. It could be any number of things. The key word here being could. We just don't know how they compare. I just personally think that Rayleigh is stronger.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy's dream is harder then Zoro's so just put two and two together. Doesn't mean Mihawk is a pushover I doubt overall he's stronger than Shanks period. To be honest I wonder when the last time Mihawk even fought a decent opponent.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayleigh didn't fight really vigorously against Borsalino who striked me as weaker than Kuzan and Sakazuki. So to assume that Rayleigh has become significantly weaker is possible. In addition, WB was also describe as weaker than in his best times if I remember it right. Rayleigh also doesn't carry his sword at all times which isn't particularly showy so he isn't necessarily a pure swordsman. Then again, Rayleigh's fight didn't take that long and when Kuma stepped in, he warned him first and Garp called him a legend on a similar scale to WB, though partly the reason he said it was to not shift the focus from the actual threat.

Shanks usually carries his sword and it doesn't seem notably outstanding, it is still recognizable. Although announcing Mihawk as the strongest swordsman may imply that Shanks wasn't a pure swordsman, why would the former be interested in him otherwise, aside from maybe sharing a long history. Although Mihawk lost interest in his former rival implying either his superiority after Shanks' incident it doesn't make much sense as 10 years have already past and it could be just simple mocking since he visited for another reason anyway. Furthermore, Shanks also changed quite a bit when we saw him at the end of the war again so we know even less about his current state. We also don't know how often Mihawk and Shanks met during those years, during WB's and Shanks' meeting at least it seemed as if they've almost never met, just as Vista apparently fought Mihawk the first time. That said, how the did he actually get that title then?!

So we know just that the strongest pirate is dead, now it's chaotic and we can only hope that in a few yearssomeone else is able to drill Sakazuki's face into the ground like WB did.

As I mentioned in the "admiral thread" I can imagine Kaidou having a tree DF, if Green Bull has something unrelated to plants, simply because the part face we saw fits the look of an angry tree very well. Notwithstanding, the name and epitaph only occasionally corresponds with the actual DF type. For instance, the reason he's calld a creature might be because he similarly to Bepo looks like an animal. "Kaidou of the beasts" doesn't tell us much about him either, it may be related to his crew rather than him personally.
    It is pretty far fetched but I still note that there are Kaido crab apple trees which are a bit popular as Bonsais as well.
    Aside from that, I guess there are already a lot of Zoan theories around, like typhon, hydra, etc.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ish3 View Post
    Luffy's dream is harder then Zoro's so just put two and two together. Doesn't mean Mihawk is a pushover I doubt overall he's stronger than Shanks period. To be honest I wonder when the last time Mihawk even fought a decent opponent.
    Please elaborate again what stronger means, Shanks Is a swordsman, Mihawak is a swordman, Mihawk is the world strongest swordsman. Just tell me where you see shanks the strongest swordsman in the world?

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast