Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why we love TRC

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Tsubasaholic's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Why we love TRC

Our mutual love of TRC is the single most important thing about this community and transcends any disagreements or differences of opinion we may have. I've started this thread because it's nice to know where other people come from and, ultimately, to appreciate something good in our lives

I love the art. The style is so splendidly dramatic. The costumes alone make the story and the chance to gaze upon any one of Fai, Kurogane, Kamui, Subaru, or C!Syaoran would be a reason to read the story in and of itself Sakura's beautiful too! The fight scenes are spectacular, the worlds so beautifully portrayed, and the expressions on people's faces so perfect that I could spend hours gazing at them alone. Clamp are good. They are very, very good.

I love the story. It's so epic, so complelling, and SO unpredictable. The worlds they visit are all so awesome and so different and so much (untill Acid Tokyo) fun! I love how the tone shifts so perfctly from hilarious, to cute, to exhilarating, to tragic, to suspenceful, to everything else you could possibly mention. This story really does have everything. It never gets dull and it never gets old. All hail Nanase Ohkawa!

I love the intelligence. TRC can be mind bendingly confusing sometimes or so subtle that I know I'm missing things but that's OK. I love storis that make me think and TRC does that. Clamp aren't afraid to challenge their readers and tell the story they want to tell without dumbing it down or changing it from what it's meant to be. The way they have an entire second manga you have to read to really get TRC is fantastically creatively bold and gives the story so much more depth. TRC is complex enough to support some really great discussions and to be interpreted in many ways. I also love the refrences to their other manga. Intertextuality is fun!

I love the people. All the other things I've mentioned, any many besides that I've not currently thought of, are crucially important (they are! I don't like stories that have character and nothing else. They need plot to give them shape), but ultimately I'm character driven. The characters in TRC are brilliant. Their personalities are really well developed and their relationships are so interesting. Out of all the fictional characters in any story I've ever read th gang of five from the beginning are the ones I'd want to meet the most. I really care about what happens them, they are a part of my life, and to me, in a strange, not-the-literal-meaning way, they are real.
    Last edited by Tsubasaholic; March 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Welcome to the NEW WORLD

God save you if
    it is right
    that he should do so

*tcha*

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why we love TRC

Hmm... everything about it. Though, what caught my interest at first, was the story. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters, I love every fibre of their being, from their likes, to their dislikes, but what really compelled me to keep reading was the whole different worlds paradox.

I started reading Xxxholic and enjoyed the whole surreal fealing to it, I remember the first crossover to TRC, which is when I decided to start reading it, and from then on I was hooked.

I just love how every tiny detail is somehow connected to something greater, if it's references to CCS or something which might have catastrofic ramifications on another world. The fact that every decision you make will shape your future, even if it's a decision of stopping to pick up a coin, or opening the door for an old lady, will shape your future. Also, it's refreshing for once, to have an antagonist who isn't evil just for the sake of it. I'm so tired of generic antagonists who are evil for no other reason than their unsatiable hunger for power or some other lame last minute shallow ideal.

So, all in all, it's how the time/world paradox along with the meetings of people and feelings shape the future for all the characters that I love so much.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ShirubiaLamperouge's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

It's quite funny to think of how I started reading tsubasa... There was an ad-thing in the back of another manga I bought, and I thought "Hey they're like the ones from CCS, that could be interesting" and then I bought vol. 1. And became completely obsessed, and dragged all my friends into it (although only 3 of them have actually reached the latest chapter). It's hard to remember exactly what I liked about it so much when I first read it... After I bought vol. 1 I went through the other 193 chapters that were out at the time in like 2 days. I always adored the art (mokona PWNS), and the characters, of course =). The plot was and is a huge part of what I love about it. The way it manages to be so brilliantly complex is so unlike anything else.

I feel like this doesn't even begin to sum up why I adore tsubasa so much. It's amazing in so many ways... Also the way that it isn't confined to the typical manga genres. CLAMP is quite big on doing that, it seems. It seems some people don't like how it starts getting darker (tokyo...), while others think that the start is too fuzzy and it's boring *shakes head despairingly*. They don't know what they're missing, now.

RIP Mopsy, my adorable, psychotic, half blind and overall quite epically seishirou-esque rabbit.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the complexity of the story eh. . . It is brilliant. Clamp are geniuses. It really doesn't get any simpler than that. I also started reading xxxHolic because of TRC though I kept reading it because I liked the atmosphere, the events, and, of course, the chatracters.

Flipper, I agree FWR is a really great villian. 2D bad guys really get on my nerves and he is anything but. He actually gets more interesting the more you think about him I've found.

The genre-bending nature of the story is brilliant as well. Suits me to a tee. I love character and plot AND action no other manga I've looked at has come close to balancing them all as wll as TRC/xxxHolic (because leaving xxxHolic out of a TRC discussion is meaningless).

I started to read TRC almost by accident (no, hitsuzen). I'd been gently mocking this manga with these absurdly hilarious plot twists (they're amusing out of context. Oh, my former ignorance) for a wee while and once or twice had flipped through it and thought "Meh, this is confusing and backwards anyway". Then, one lunchtime, when I saw that she had volume 1 in her bag I began to read it in a spirit of idle curiosity while my friend was in choir. I kept reading because Sakura and Syaoran were really sweet, I felt gutted for them when Sakura lost her memories, I really wanted to see what came next, and I wanted (and STILL want!) them to be OK in the end.
    Welcome to the NEW WORLD

God save you if
    it is right
    that he should do so

*tcha*

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DontWakeMeUp's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started reading TRC (and xxxHolic) when I couldn't find anything else to do last summer (yes, recent, I know). I had just re-discovered my love for CCS! and other earlier CLAMP works, and when I was re-reading them, I saw an ad on one of the manga websites about it. It looked interesting, so I decided to try it... and now, I'm pretty much hooked.

What first captured my attention was the art (then again, all of CLAMP's works do that). They make their drawings so simple, yet they're very complex at the same time. It's cool to see how their art has progressed over the years.

The characters are amazing as well, especially the few new characters. They're all very different and fit wonderfully into the story. I like how the story... connects all of the characters of the CLAMP universe.

The biggest thing would have to be the endless plot twists. CLAMP never fails to surprise their readers; they always keep you alert and wanting more. And just when you think you get to the end of something, it's made into something even bigger.

And I absolutely love how the story isn't limited to just one genre. The story can satisfy all different kinds of readers.

There's more, but I don't feel like typing everything at the moment. xD

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lady Sakura-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of feel criminal for not commenting on this thread. I don`t actually know why I read TRC. It could be the characters, the art, the fact that it is Clamp, the plot or anything else. I love it. The fact that it leaves you with the feeling that you wants more and more and more..... I love it.
    Last edited by Lady Sakura-chan; April 01, 2009 at 12:12 PM.
    Tsubasa-supporters of the world unite!!!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it.

Good answer

What is with all the Swedes on this forum? Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Sweden or its people. In fact, I rather like the place even though I've never been there (maybe I'll mangae to drag myself across the Baltic while I'm here. . .) and know less about it than is polite. There just seem to be more Swedes than I'd expect here all of a sudden.

Same goes for New Zealanders. . . Shirubia, Zenakumk, and. . . oh, never mind.

Don'tWakeMeUp - you're not alone. I only started TRC last August!
    Last edited by Tsubasaholic; March 31, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Welcome to the NEW WORLD

God save you if
    it is right
    that he should do so

*tcha*

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh. Yay for not being alone! xD
    Better late than never, at least. =)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel kind of embarrased admitting it. . .
    Welcome to the NEW WORLD

God save you if
    it is right
    that he should do so

*tcha*

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member kurofaikitty's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

dattebayo! i love TRC cause i first heard of it when the first book came out in america. (whenever the heck that was...) and i read it shortly after finishing cardcaptors, so i was excited to see more of the cute little syaoran. adn i love the xxxholic crossovers. watanuki and doumeki r awsum. they keep the funny going when tsubasa got all emo on us... 'if your series is happy happy suger coated faires and gay, you'll all be killed at the hands of a phsycaotic clone". (from the rules of life from clamp)
    but the real reason i love it is.... *thumbs up* kurogane and fai!!!!! (srry, but that's the best pairing evah...)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ShirubiaLamperouge's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Gah. Kurofai *hiss*. Kurotomo 4eva. Although there's an entire separate thread for that debate, so I'll shut up now.

RIP Mopsy, my adorable, psychotic, half blind and overall quite epically seishirou-esque rabbit.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsubasaholic:
    I know, me too. >.>

I'm glad that I'm reading it now, at least. -shrugs-

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member PirateFiend's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: Why we love TRC

I'm so glad you started this thread, Tsubaholic.

I started reading Tsubasa when the first volume was translated and released in the US. My brother was going through Bleach or Deathnote or something and I didn't have a manga I was reading.... I think I saw Sakura and Syaoran on the cover, and I love CCS so I was kinda like O.o And I thought two things at once: either someone had dared to copy the character design of two of my alltime favorite manga/anime characters, OR they were actually the characters in question. So I picked up the manga and was THRILLED when it was a CLAMP project and even more thrilled when it really WAS Syaoran and Sakura.

I didn't really get hooked until I was a few books in. I'm rather picky and thought that the beginning was a wee bit OVERLY sugary sweet. When she lost her memories and how he had to sacrifice his relationship, though, was the main hook, plotwise that kept me going until I really started liking the story. From then on, I gave it a solid chance. And I'm glad I did. Now that we're all the way in chapter 217, I see that there was a reason for that really sugary sweet atmosphere and it's brilliant.

So, yes, now I'll agree that I love the plot as well--despite as utterly mad as it seems at the moment, hahaha.

However, two solids that have remained absolutes for me: the characters are... marvelous, and the artwork is beautiful. These two things I shall go into more detail about.

In manga, there are stock-type characters, just like almost any genre of any medium of any storytelling in virtually any nation. You could take Kurogane as an example. That butch, snarky dude that takes "no crap from nobody" and excels at the fine art of battery isn't an original character. I can think of a few from other places, myself, that fit the same cookie cutter outline as Kurogane. However. Those characters are, for me, usually boring or even downright annoying. And this can apply for many of the stock-types we see in Tsubasa.

And this is where and why CLAMP excels and I love them for it. They take character personalities that are so easily butchered, so easily stupid, so easily obnoxious, and turn them into three-dimensional, relate-able, buyable, enjoyable persons. Kurogane is... way cool. His attitude isn't overly abrasive or blunt, and neither is it lacking in all the wrong places. They achieve this fine balance with him, and a stock-type that normally bugs me becomes an individual that stands out from his stock. Not only does he stand out, but I really, really, really like him when I normally wouldn't.

Anyway, the same rule applies across the board. Mokona doesn't peeve--Mokona is genuinely sweet, adorable and funny. Fai is charming, awesome, serious and silly in all the right places. Syaoran--of any "flavor"--is worth rooting for. He's incredibly connectable, admirable and shoulders the role of protagonist in his side of the project admirably. Sakura is endearing, lovely and THE soulmate of our hero without doubts or reservations. And of course the surrounding cast is no less stunning: Yuuko, and the xxxHolic cast also in consideration.

In addition to that, the way the characters interact is top notch. They take some class-act individuals and pair them up in class-act happenings, and it is just plain FUN.

Now, of course, the art style. It basically speaks for itself--it's beautiful. I think the battle sequences really represent the manga as a whole: edge with elegance. Even when a character is totally getting nailed in the face, you can't help but stop and just ADMIRE. While the tones of the scenes change from suspenseful to fluffy to dark to sad, they all retain that core of beauty typical of CLAMP.

I had written a bigger post with a lot more said on the visuals, in a much better fashion that the paragraph above. Buuuuut I accidentally deleted it and I don't remember all I said. It had to do with the use of lines, rhythms, contrast etc etc etc. Anyway, this will have to do for now. Sorry it wasn't great. :-P
    "No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it."
    "The heart may be weak. And sometimes, it may even give in.
    But... deep down, there's a light that never goes out
    ."

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Silversakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. This may end up being long.

When I first saw CCS all those years ago, it was...love at first sight. I quickly fell in love with Syaoran, because as a child, I was gobsmacked. He was cheeky, a bit rude, but it was very obvious that he cared about Sakura. Later on, I grew up, bought the manga, and then proceeded to be a huge huge huge CLAMP fan, reading anything I could get my hands on.

Then I started getting anime insider. They were advertising like crazy Funi's release of TRC. I bought it, because, I remembered how the characters looked from CCS and knew something was up. I bought the first anime volume, then proceeded to find out about the manga.

I still have no idea how the heck I let TRC pass me by for so long. I read volumes 1-12 at a library, and started foruming. People started talking of this clone of some kind, and I knew I couldn't wait any longer.

I began reading it in onemanga and obviously, I'm current with all the characters.

I read and love TRC, because first off, its beautiful to see how improved CLAMP got from CCS. I mean, their art is stunning. I don't care if people say that Kurogane and Fay are too tall or skinny. That doesn't matter. The art is gorgeous no matter what anyone says.

I love how CLAMP always did the crossovers from their other series. Its great to see all the characters again, y'know?

The battle scenes, as said, are fricken amazing. I swear, i stare at the details for a long time. Same with the chapter pictures. They always make the characters look so great, I'm instantly envious.

All the characters speak to you in a way that makes you genuinley worried about their well-being. I cry a lot in this manga, because of all the things that happen to our travelers. As dumb as it seems, I really feel like this manga is one I have a bond with as a whole. I mean, they all have so many problems that should make a regular person drop dead, and they all just continue on, because its what needs to be done.

To see characters that I fell in love with when I was young, now back again, its a wonderful feeling. I love seeing all the relationships CLAMP manages to throw in, and it really works.

Atm, CCS is my favorite by CLAMP, but it is rapidly changing because of all they're doing with TRC.

I also love how no matter what we theorize, or what we say, it always ends up wrong in some points, because at every turn, CLAMP is surprising us. Over and over. Keeping us on our toes is a amazing thing.

Two more things: I really really love how when Kurogane, Syaoran, Mokona, Sakura and Fay first came together, they weren't anything to each other. Just travelers with different goals. I love how in the end, they come together as a group of friends, all ready to risk life and limb for each other, and save Sakura.

Last thing: As said in the chapter discussion, I was crying when I saw grown up CCSakura. To see that wonderful magical girl who I strived to be like my whole life, kind, sweet, and caring...to see her grown up and all of those things...it is so beautiful. To see the cocky boy Syaoran who I loved when I was little -and still do XD- now also grown up and trying to protect those around him...its wonderful.

CLAMP truly cares about what they create, and I think its the feelings that they put into their manga that makes us all love TRC so much. I truly be depressed when this is over, because CLAMP has made every chapter worthwhile.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Silversakura:
    I love your post. I was pretty much like you with everything from CCS to TRC.
    Seeing grown up CCS!Sakura made me rather emotional as well. :'D It really is wonderful to see how much work CLAMP puts in to all of their works; there are a number of other groups that release new things for... well, the sake of releasing things. =|
    Their art is definitely amazing, some of the best I've seen, and my absolute favorite. I can't wait for more of their future works.

I just also love how deep the meanings are in their works. They throw out such complex things that really make you think, but at the same time, it's still easy for the readers to relate.
    Last edited by DontWakeMeUp; April 04, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast