Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do The MS Even Deserve to Be 1st Stringers?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Do The MS Even Deserve to Be 1st Stringers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Kawamura/Kabaji lost horribly and "won" because Date acknowledged their will power or something. Oishi/Niou lost the Synchro duel and only won because of a specific counter that works against no other move. Inui won because of Renji playing first and because Mitsuya was arrogant. Momoshiro/Kenya won because Momoshiro got BJK, which is a far stronger move than anything Fuji has (maybe not Hoshi Hanabi, but that's far more difficult to set up). Yukimura's and Kintarou's wins were legit, but not easy, and both of them are far superior to Fuji in the first place.
    Seeing this post made me realize, most of their wins were flukes!

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do The MS Even Deserve to Be 1st Stringers?

Inui win is fair. It's not like he won't be studying up his future opponents when he's playing oversea.

Momoshiro win is fair too, he can use BJK and thus is now stronger than 18-19 1st stringer combine.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Yukimura too, and so does Kintarou. there you have 5/9. Niou does deserve it, no question (although, his spot is free but wtv, you get what I'm saying). So... there are 3 spots left (taka, Oishi and whoever takes Kaba's spot).

Just now I realise that Atobe is the only MSer confirmed in the top 10.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As it stands Inui won't be playing any international matches because Renji is the one who took the No. 17 badge (EDIT: And even if you argue that he'll have data on future opponents, he still didn't have Mitsuya's prior to Renji playing which made it a 2v1 in this situation). Also, Mutsu/Mutsu is probably stronger than Oishi/Niou against any non-Synchro pair (/anyone who can't be beaten by a very specific counter that Niou is capable of using).

Anyway, if you were to just list the 20 strongest players in the camp, there would probably be five or so MSers among them, but except Kintarou (if he even still has his badge...) it wouldn't be the members of the BJB that played in the revolution matches. How you answer the topic question kinda comes down to what you mean by "deserved" I think.
    Last edited by Kaoz; March 20, 2014 at 02:27 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I like these discussions whether MS "deserve" being a 1st stringer. I'm going to have to say no to Momo and Kenya. Kenya has nothing special up his sleeve. All he has to do is verse an opponenet who is faster than him and he's out. Momo is far too arrogant for my liking. I've noticed that when he underestimates his opponents, he loses.
    I'm still iffy with Renji though. If anything Inui should have it but Inui gave it to him for allowing him to collect data. Iffy with Oishi too. He's a pure doubles player. Without Eiji, he's pathetic.
    I do agree that Yukimura and Kintaro's wins were legit. So are Atobe/Niou, even though Atobe played all by himself in the 2nd half. Niou probably can Synchro with anyone, making him a formidable doubles player.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    Momo is far too arrogant for my liking. I've noticed that when he underestimates his opponents, he loses.
    There was a chapter dedicated to this after the second intra-school ranking tournament, wasn't there. I'm pretty sure that it's not an issue any more.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all, a bunch of MSers are strong enough to make No.7 and above.
    From about Ryoma through to about Niou/Fuji/Shiraishi tier and no lower.

Atobe deserves to be 1st String, but NOT No.9.
    That wasn't a fair win even by PoT Logic.
    The boost that Synchro provides is massive that much is true, but how Atobe by himself took out Mouri/Ochi is absurd.
    Especially when Ochi is an opponent who is about Atobe's level in Singles. Let alone Mouri who could give Atobe a seriously good match.

Niou deserves a badge, but somewhere from 12-20.
    Yukimura's No.11 is deserved since if they played again, Yukimura would very likely still beat Fuwa.
    It seems Kintaro's No.14 badge is open? But Kintaro earned his fairly well.
    Kawamura & Kabaji were effectively 6-0'd. Kawamura needs to hand over the No.12 badge and go back to 2ndCourt.
    Oishi is currently useless w/out Niou in Doubles.
    Yanagi is a joke at 1st String level. He might be able to play Akiba in Singles? At best?
    Kenya is just out of the equation for 1st String too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    As it stands Inui won't be playing any international matches because Renji is the one who took the No. 17 badge
    This alone, is quite nuts.
    Yanagi & Kenya both share the same base stats.
    Quite frankly, only 2 guys with 18 in stat totals can get 1st Stringer badges at this current moment and that's Niou & Fuji.

Momoshiro and BJK confuses me, but otherwise he deserves his spot.
    It makes me sad that Taira/Hara had the badge in the first place when they could just get solo'd by Momoshiro.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was going to comment on the exact same thing. He certainly didn't look overconfident against Yuushi in the Nationals or Rikkai's S1 in Kanto.

Edit: Dammit Airgrimes.
    Last edited by Hardy; March 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChinkyCandie View Post
    So are Atobe/Niou, even though Atobe played all by himself in the 2nd half. Niou probably can Synchro with anyone, making him a formidable doubles player.
    Actually, Atobe/Niou would have lost had Ochi not been arrogant and let them have that point back in the first set.
    Otherwise the set would have more than likely gone in Ochi/Mouri's favour since Niou was unable to do anything similar to a dead toad.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

About Yanagi being a joke... I dunno. I always say the same, the dude lost in a data tennis match, against someone with far more data (and well, more skilled). But I wonder what would happen if Yanagi had played against someone else.

The fact that Konomi didn't give the Data Pair a chance to get in the team is ridiculous btw (and I'm not saying this just because I dunno wtf is Kenya doing in the top 20 >_> ).

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Atobe deserves to be 1st String, but NOT No.9.
    Tbh, had he been paired with someone around his tier that isn't Niou, he would had won easier (I mean, with some plot help -nothing absurd like his match with Niou- playing with someone like Fuji...).
    Last edited by Hardy; March 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: failed before

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Prince Of Tennis Re: Do The MS Even Deserve to Be 1st Stringers?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    Tbh, had he been paired with someone around his tier that isn't Niou, he would had won easier (I mean, with some plot help -nothing absurd like his match with Niou- playing with someone like Fuji...).
    Agreed here.
    Had Atobe got to play with any of the 3 guys on his tier being Yukimura/Tezuka/Sanada, then they would have won convincingly against Ochi/Mouri.
    I was being hard on Atobe.
    He deserves his badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    About Yanagi being a joke... I dunno. I always say the same, the dude lost in a data tennis match, against someone with far more data (and well, more skilled). But I wonder what would happen if Yanagi had played against someone else.
    Yeah, its why I'm annoyed Konomi suddenly decided to speed up the pace of his story. He didn't have to go straight into the G10.
    He could have given things time by letting us see a few things we just haven't seen.
    Like Speed Play VS Power Play, Data Tennis VS Perfect Tennis, and Data Tennis just against someone without a Sub Style in an official Singles match, I can think of so many useful scenarios we could have had.

I'm still extremely certain fans would have been extremely happy if we got some actual matches of some forgotten bros amongst the MSers and less Mountain training for instance. All in return that this G10 arc would have started I dunno, 2-3months later than it did.
    Because this G10 arc has been spectacular especially Oni VS Kintaro and the current match, so I don't think it would even matter so much if it was delayed by 2-3 months.

With Akiba being only 1 point higher than Yanagi, I can see Yanagi edging out Akiba 7-5.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Agreed here.
    Had Atobe got to play with any of the 3 guys on his tier being Yukimura/Tezuka/Sanada, then they would have won convincingly against Ochi/Mouri.
    I was being hard on Atobe.
    He deserves his badge.
    Let's not fall into the other extreme so quickly. Tezuka has TnK, so a real Atobe/Tezuka would've won no matter what, but I'm not convinced on the other two as far as winning convincingly is concerned. Sanada can't deal with Mach and it's unsure whether Yukimura can or not.

Furthermore we don't know how Yips works in doubles, Sanada probably still can't overuse Rai, and KnA's effectiveness isn't exactly assured either - both Ochi and Mouri are super tall, and have great coverage. Not only that, they have much better Mental than Ohmagari, which should mean they're more likely to be able to see through the direction change, and lastly they'll actually be playing doubles, so one of them can go for the first shot while the other one can cover for the second swing.

And maybe the most important point, neither Yukimura nor Sanada has the means to snap Atobe out of Ochi's mental pressure like Niou did (or vice-verse), even with Rai Sanada can't intercept a volley that Atobe is about to hit (without giving him a bloody nose in the process at least); in other words, whoever gets affected by the mental pressure would probably have to deal with it for much longer than two games.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Ohmagari (or wtv) used 2 rackets so height is out of question. He also has a better tech stat than any of those 2, so I doubt that mental is enough to counter Black Aura. What's left? Both of them grouping? They are gonna leave an entire side of the court open if they do that...

Yukimura should be able to return any shot. so I don't think that Mach is going to be a trouble (even less if Ochi can't hit it for 3 sets).

I don't know enough about mental pressure to actually discuss it, lol. I dunno how much it should last, if it affects all people equally... etc

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanada and Yukimura are probably around #6-11. Putting them in doesn't make it a sure fire win against Ochi and Mouri. Yukimura was given a pretty good match against a mere #11. And it's the result is debatable because #11 pretty much handicapped his way until he got hit by Yips. And even after he got hit by Yips he manage to make Yukimura a match as shown by Yukimura getting more sweat. Ohmagari is given a fair bit of trouble against Black Aura, but remember that unlike Yukimura he manage to hit the Black Aura on his first time seeing it, although it didn't cross the net And given the set of 3 set match I wouldn't be surprise if he can return it perfectly at the end of 3 set match, like how Shiraishi took a while to return 5th counter. Ohmagari is strong enough of a player that crush Sanada and Akutsu combined after all.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

On Sanada's Rai, on the amount of counting I did, it's not enough to win him 2 set match. At least from what we've seen.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ChinkyCandie's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Airgrimes: I know about Ochi's "kindness" in allowing the one point to go thorugh. Still, you can't deny Atobe not being beast, taking both Ochi and Mouri all by himself. Even though he thought he was going to lose, he miraculously won.

Don't you think its odd how Niou is the only one who gave up his badge to aim for a higher number, and he isn't even one of the 3 demons? That's something no other MS have done. Kintaro doesn't count since he only wanted a re-match with Oni.

@ Kaoz: I think it was episode 52-ish. But even then in the Nationals. He underestimated Yushi and got pwned 6 games straight. Same with Rikkaidai in the Kanto Regionals. He got arrogant and lost to Marui/Jackal. In the Regional Selections Camp, he underestimated Sengoku's comeback and lost.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast