Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SkullKnight.net Interviews Miura!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SparkHunter13's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

SkullKnight.net Interviews Miura!

... Well, kind of... For those who don't know, SkullKnight.net is a Berserk fansite. The community over there recently mailed a short set of questions regarding Berserk to Kentarou Miura via Hakusensha. And against all hope and expectation, he actually replied!

For the Q&A, see below. For the original thread itself, click here: (HERE).

Quote Originally Posted by SkullKnight.net
    Q1: To the readers, Guts as a character has grown tremendously in the past few years, but how much time has elapsed in the Berserk world since the end of the Golden Age arc in Volume 14? (i.e. Lost Children - Millennium Falcon)

I’d say it’s been 3-4 years, though it’s not been clearly decided.

Q2: Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

“Falcon” or “Hawk”, both mean [鷹] in Japanese. In some dictionaries, “Falcon ” is translated as [隼(はやぶさ)] but there’s almost no difference. I used "Falcon" from the great name of the “Millennium Falcon" ship in Star Wars.

Q3: Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon arc, you were quoted as saying now you felt you were truly on the starting line of the series. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story at this point?

I think we are at about 60-70%. However, I myself don’t know anything for sure when it comes to the future.

Q4: It's been years since the last art book release. There may now be enough content for 2-3 additional books. Do you plan to release any more based on your sketches and paintings?

No, I don’t.

Q5: What portion of the story was the most difficult in terms of making hard decisions about where to take the direction of the series? Any regrets?

No specific part was especially difficult or regrettable to me.

Q6: You've talked of post-Berserk projects in the past. Do you still expect to do it, or will you be enjoying retirement after having spent so long working on Berserk?

I don’t remember when I talked about my future plans after Berserk, but there's no doubt I’ll work on something else once it's over.

Q7: Do you feel a sense of achievement at what you've accomplished over all those years? Was it worth the sacrifices to your life and health it has required?

Yes, I feel a sense of achievement, since my work has been appreciated more and more over time in society.

Besides, I can’t think of living any other life.

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

Q9: Can we have some more details on why Episode 83 was left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil again before the end of the series?

It’s because I wanted Berserk's world to be revealed just that far, not any more than that. The appearance of god in the manga conclusively determines its range. I thought that might limit the freedom of the story development.

I myself don’t know if the Idea of Evil will show up again in the manga or not.

Q10: Rumors of a second season, or new animation of Berserk have been persistent since the first animation's conclusion. These have all been proven false, in time. But to be perfectly sure, are there plans for a continuation of the animation?

It’s possible.

You know, It's a rare occasion indeed when Miura responds to fan mail. I guess I should say, "Congratulations, SkullKnight.net!". Too bad about the artbooks, though. At least there's another season of the anime to look forward to... possibly... =)

2. Thanks 23 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SkullKnight.net Interviews Miura!

thank you spark, this is good medecine.
    yay new anime woooo, i want the english voice actors from the first. the outtakes they did were awesome.
    i grew to love their voices so i be pissed if different voice.
    no more ichigo english voice!!! his everywhere lol
    spark can this be considered a omen!
    15 hours a day wow >.> i understand why he wants breaks to make up for things in life

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 102jayday View Post
    yay new anime woooo, i want the english voice actors from the first. the outtakes they did were awesome. i grew to love their voices so i be pissed if different voice. no more ichigo english voice!!! his everywhere lol spark can this be considered a omen!
    Nah, can't be. The "omens" are a byproduct of sudden withdrawal from an extreme addiction. However, they're unique to Berserk fans. What you have here is something entirely different. My consultant, Dr. Nick, believes you're suffering from "Crappy Dub Attachment Syndrome". The solution: Watch subs, not dubs. Simple. =)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm as surprised as you at Miura's daily schedule. I mean, I knew of his heavy workload, but a 15-16 hour day from 14:00 to 07:00? I can barely cope with a 9 to 5! It just goes to show that Miura is still dedicated to Berserk and its many fans, even after all these years.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still interesting to me at how averse Miura is to assistants, especially since he requires long breaks to just publish chapters.

And this isn't a confirmation of a new anime perse, but the difference in his answer to new artbook versus new anime is one to take note of.
    Last edited by xi0; February 26, 2011 at 11:37 PM.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update. SkullKnight.net recently replied to Miura's... reply with another... reply... and... Well, the point is that they included a little gift as a "thank you" to Miura for his response. Take a look:

Spoiler show

It's a bookmark that was cross-stitched by a community member's daughter. Cute, eh?

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

bump wish miura was working his 16 hour shift right about now.

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Why isn't this thread pinned?

Decent point > xi0
    Last edited by xi0; February 26, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner masasakia's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

read this ageeeeeees ago...
    this interview is ooooooold
    people should have read this ages ago
    Last edited by masasakia; February 27, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot something

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by masasakia View Post
    read this ageeeeeees ago...
    this interview is ooooooold
    people should have read this ages ago
    You realize this post was made over 2 years ago. :P Look at the dates.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 100

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

While the interview is old I am guessing it was pinned due to continued relevance. I doubt there is much left to discuss but I would assume new members and new berserk fans will still find the information relevant. Pinning it makes sure it's not lost in among other threads.

13. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, thank you very much for this, I found this early on when I was browsing through the Berserk board, thought it was really cool, but yes it felt sort of forgotten. I found it interesting that Miura does not seem to share much information, and his answers perhaps are not what fans were expecting. Also to this adds that he does not even respond to fan mail at all.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Also to this adds that he does not even respond to fan mail at all.
    And now we know why - there's no time to do so, because he's working on Berserk all day
    Honestly, 2:00pm to 7:00am? This man is crazy. The fear that Miura won't live until the end of Berserk sound very justified with this piece of information!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

if he works that much why is it taking so long for chapters to get released?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shouryuujo View Post
    if he works that much why is it taking so long for chapters to get released?
    Just have a look at the awesome artworks, shouldn't that be enough of a reply?
    Also, as Kaiten said, the chapters always appear in a bunch rather than spread out all over the year, that's why there's nothing coming right now - instead there will be a time when they'll be published very frequently.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

but there is a difference between quality and quantiy (this case time). If you go eat at restaurant you want the cook to spend hours to garnish your food, pick the best of the best ingredients and recook your meal to "perfection" or you want a pretty good meal within decent amount of time?

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast