Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Who would win in a match?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tachibana

4 17.39%
  • Tezuka

19 82.61%
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tachibana vs Tezuka

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tachibana vs Tezuka

Quote Originally Posted by Atobe the king View Post
    I disagree, Tezuka ate Kabajis shots and Eishiro's big bangs...leads me to believe he could handle Tachibanas aggression

He's a perfect match up for Tezuka, Aggressive Baseliner VS Counterpuncher

I don't think he has the Sanada fire power it would take to break tezuka zone so far no one has beaten that thing but Sanada
    You bring up the Kabaji match. Remember, Tezuka was in danger of losing that match because he couldn't handle Kabaji's superior power once he copied Hyakuren. Yeah, he won, but I think Tachibana should be able to over power Hyakuren.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hinata Fan View Post
    You bring up the Kabaji match. Remember, Tezuka was in danger of losing that match because he couldn't handle Kabaji's superior power once he copied Hyakuren. Yeah, he won, but I think Tachibana should be able to over power Hyakuren.
    I meant before Kabaji copied Hyakuren of course he was going to have problems

Okay...Kabaji is huge he's obviously a power player so if Tezuka could handle that raw power i think he can handle tachibana

that said for Kabaji

his raw power X 2 (from Tezuka) X2 from Kabaji's own Hyakuren

Meaning he was dealing with 4 times the spin and power of the original shot O_O

He may be able to overpower Hyakuren but only Sanada and Yukimura seem to have the tools to compete with the doors of Muga
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Kabaji with Hyakuren was amplified to a crazy degree.

But Tachibana has skill in addition to that power. He could probably specifically target overwhelming Tezuka's Hyakuren, unlike Kabaji, who was just using raw power.

Personally, I think Tachibana is on the same level as those other guys. There's a reason he was feared as one of the strongest players in Japan.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Kabaji with Hyakuren was amplified to a crazy degree.

But Tachibana has skill in addition to that power. He could probably specifically target overwhelming Tezuka's Hyakuren, unlike Kabaji, who was just using raw power.

Personally, I think Tachibana is on the same level as those other guys. There's a reason he was feared as one of the strongest players in Japan.
    It's true...when they mention the national level players, the list was Atobe, Tezuka, Sengoku and all of Rikkai

I see what you mean...but judging from what we've seen Tezuka would win the match, not a bagel or breadstick but he would edge out the victory

From what i've noticed there are two tachibanas...the conservative one..who lost to Kirihara and te Agressive one, who scrimmaged with Fuji and played Chitose

The agressive one has no patience, he screwed up with Tsubamae Gaeshi which Kirihara had managed to returned, and he got impatient at KamiKakushi and dumped it into the net

All of Tezukas opponents in the Nationals sans Chitose had dangerous fire power and he handled most of them thoroughly

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From what i've noticed there are two tachibanas...the conservative one..who lost to Kirihara and te Agressive one, who scrimmaged with Fuji and played Chitose

The agressive one has no patience, he screwed up with Tsubamae Gaeshi which Kirihara had managed to returned, and he got impatient at KamiKakushi and dumped it into the net
    The agressive Tachibana who played Fuji is not the agressive Tachibana who owned Chitose's eyeball. Tachibana was worse than Kirihara back then, which is why everyone was afraid of him. Ever since then, he has never aimed a ball at the body, even in his agressive "Wild Lion" state.

Also, "Phantom" would not work on Tachibana, or any other player in my opinion. You see, without a shot as strong as Rai, Tezuka has to use about triple the force to bring the shot to go out. Which is impossible. Tezuka wouldn't be able to do that. Which is why I believe Phantom is only used against shots that are so powerful, you cannot return.

IE: Sanada's Rai, Gin's Hadoukyuus

I think Tachibana should have PHW. That would be crazy with his wild lion.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tachibana has his own Aura, and why did Nio get to use Phantom on Fuji then? who's anything but a power player
    Last edited by Atobe the king; April 23, 2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: mispelled power XP

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tachibana has his own Aura, and why did Nio get to use Phantom on Fuji then? who's anything but a ower player
    That match was so stupid I completely forgot Niou did that.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I believe that everything we saw at the NiouFuji match was from Fujis pov. Didnt re-read the chapters though. Niou was, for me, just a great actor who could, like really good hollywood actors, mimic every other person he wants to. Not just expression or playstyle but voice wise too. So the one and only time we wittnessed Niou using Phantom I believe that Fuji just thought that Niou could really pull it off and hit the ball out. Same with the Tezuka zone maybe. Fuji gets so irritated that he hits every ball to Niou becuase he moves the same way Tezuka does when using his Zone.

Uh, somehow, no matter how I want to understand it, it would be still a shitty match .

on topic: where has it been stated that Phantom is just good against unreturnable shots?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No it wasn't that...multiple people saw the illusion, Yukimura,Sanada and Atobe come to mind
    http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/361/02/

Also i believe Inui commented on the phantom
    http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/361/03/

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Niou doesn't really copy the techniques, it is just an illusion. Niou makes Fuji think he is playing against Tezuka.

"You couldn't even hold a candle to the real Tezuka" - Fuji

Remember, Niou couldn't hit a zero-shiki serve.

Quote Quote:
    where has it been stated that Phantom is just good against unreturnable shots?
    It is my theory. Not "unreturnable" shots, just powerful shots with a lot of spin. Using the logic of the PoT world, Tezuka shouldn't be able to use Phantom against a flat shot with hardly any power.
    Last edited by Fayte; April 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Niou clearly does copy techniques, he just isn't quite as good as the original. Remember when the real Yagyuu hit his Laser Beam and it was 3x faster than Niou's?

Niou can't copy someone perfectly, but he can copy their skills to an extent. He couldn't copy the Zero-Shiki serve, but he could copy Tezuka's other skills. Probably not quite on the same level as Tezuka, but that doesn't make it an illusion.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Niou clearly does copy techniques, he just isn't quite as good as the original. Remember when the real Yagyuu hit his Laser Beam and it was 3x faster than Niou's?

Niou can't copy someone perfectly, but he can copy their skills to an extent. He couldn't copy the Zero-Shiki serve, but he could copy Tezuka's other skills. Probably not quite on the same level as Tezuka, but that doesn't make it an illusion.
    Even Sanada and Yukimura said they were fooled by his "illusion."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    Even Sanada and Yukimura said they were fooled by his "illusion."
    That doesn't explain him actually hitting the shots.

What I think they mean by illusion is that he is making it seem like he is on the same level as Tezuka, when he really isn't. That doesn't change the fact that he's copying his techniques. But Niou is no Kabaji. His copies aren't perfect, which was the whole point of that match.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think....

The illusion part refers to the fact that Niou through various means; using their techniques, mimicking their smallest mannerisms and speech patterns, he convinces the opponent he actually is someone else or makes them see that person.

Kabaji was still clearly Kabaji, but was using Tezuka's techniques. Niou was using the techniques but going a step further in totally copying everything about him to make it seem that you were playing him.

He does actually use the moves. He is simply inferior to Tezuka, and hence was unable to hit the Zero-Shiki serve, he just didn't have the ability to do that one.

At least that's how I interpret the manga.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dansan1 View Post
    I think....

The illusion part refers to the fact that Niou through various means; using their techniques, mimicking their smallest mannerisms and speech patterns, he convinces the opponent he actually is someone else or makes them see that person.

Kabaji was still clearly Kabaji, but was using Tezuka's techniques. Niou was using the techniques but going a step further in totally copying everything about him to make it seem that you were playing him.

He does actually use the moves. He is simply inferior to Tezuka, and hence was unable to hit the Zero-Shiki serve, he just didn't have the ability to do that one.

At least that's how I interpret the manga.
    Yeah, I think that's right. Of course, when he was playing with Yagyuu he was actually cosplaying, which helped him a lot.

But I think the whole 'mimicking the mannerisms' deal is what they meant by 'illusion'.

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast