Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Niichans Chapter Review: D.Gray-man 184

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Niichans Chapter Review: D.Gray-man 184

Good morning everybody May I introduce myself? I’m Naruto-niichan XD (Kevin in RL). I’ve been reading mangas for two years now and I've started with Naruto (no surprise ^^). After two years of reading my list got a bit longer (I‘m currently reading 9 mangas) and I was thinking about reviewing some mangas. At the end I‘ve decided to make regular reviews about (the manga) D.Gray-man, because Naruto already has quite a lot of reviewers and D.Gray-man deserves a reviewer aswell.
    But enough of the talking, let’s start the review and have fun reading

D.Gray-man Chapter 184: Neogyps

The bloody angel Allen Walker

The chapter starts with a „dream“ of Allen, where he’s stabbed by his own sword. This reminds me of the scene with the Level 4, but who is talking to him?
    Is it the 14th , Allen’s Innocence or his own inner doubts? I’m not quite sure, after we have seen Timothy it could be his Innocence but why should it talk to him now (with such an unfriendly manner)? I will come back to this later, but let’s go further for the moment.

Noah or Innocence?

The voice talks to him when Allen asks himself where he is. We can see a holy symbol in the sky, it could be the mark on Allens left hand or the mark on the Noah’s skin.
    Looking at the surroundings it seems more like a confused and shattered mind – the mind of the 14th.
    „Stupid child... your soul needs to be saved“. Would an Innocence say anything like this? I doubt that, for me it’s the 14th who want to take control over Allen’s useless (from his point of view) soul. Feel free to discuss this point

Yeah, the Noah have been waiting for a long time

After this short conversation Mana Walker appears. Now Allen isn't sure anymore if this is a bad dream or rather not and I'm not sure, too. We see that Allen’s name is fading as Mana speaks to him. That’s a clear sign for Allen’s slow change to the 14th.
    Is it possible that a piece of Mana’s mind is inside him and tries to help his brother the 14th?
    (Okay that might be a bit farfetched but it isn’t impossible >D )
    Maybe the 14th uses the illusion of Mana to take control over Allen’s body as we can see in the next panel. Again, feel free to discuss this point ;D

Don’t fu** with me ^^

And there he shows up again... A face that does not look very friendly >D Looking at his face, I don't believe that he was trying to kill the Earl only with positiv purpose. He seems very grey for me (white = good and black = bad) and his motives are totally unclear. I’m desperatly waiting for his backstory but back to topic.
    The thing that matters me here is how easy the 14th took control over Allen’s body. It seems like he can do it every time he want to or was this only because of Allen’s fever? Speculating again, I'm left with a lot (unanswered) questions?

The Beauty and the Beast

Kudos to Hoshino, what a great pose of Lenalee ** She shines brightly in this „dark“ chapter >D
    Some fanservice from time to time is a nice thing, Lenalee x Allen would be awsome XD
    Back to topic: The 14th notices her and gives Allen the upper hand over his body. (Or maybe Allen gains control over his body, I’m not sure).
    Luckily Link stays out off the room because of Lenalee’s sleeping pose xD
    It might be bad if Link has noticed something but for now only his friends have seen the 14th. That’s the next question: Does Allen remember that his mind was repressed by the 14th twice? Sadly it does'nt seem so but we will see...

Who is this thing?

Even the Noahs have noticed the awakening of the 14th or at least they felt something. While Tyki goes wild wondering what this feeling could be, Road looks like she clearly knows what’s going on (Take a look at her gaze).It might be that the Earl will try to kill Allen very soon if you aks me....
    But what is with this cullet? Who is this man/thing? Let’s look back to chapter 97:

http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/96/11/

As Skin had fully woken up he appears for the first time and now again. Does that mean the 14th awakening will be coming soon? There’s a high probability but again, that’s only speculation. Back to the first question: Who is this guy?
    The only answer I can imagine is Noah himself and that would also explain Tyki’s reaction. He represents Noah’s pleasure, of course to say that Noah is happy about the resurrection of the 14th, one piece of his own mind. So happy, that his pleasure is going wild... (that's only a theory) Let’s look back:

http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/98/05/

After reading the text I was wondering if the real devil could be Noah and not the Earl, but for the moment enough speculating, my head has started to burn >D

Central’s Plans

Allen is back on his feets and together with Kanda and some science guy ( I forgot his name XD). They discuss about the Crow Member from their last fight. Who is this person called Madarao? Allen and Kanda don’t think that he’s a simple guard (do they know Crow? A cookie for the person who has an answer XDD), while Link knows that Madarao is a Member of Crow. He thinks about a much more important question: Why is Central using Crow Member to defeat Akuma? Is it simply the lack of Excorcists or is there a deeper purpose? I prefer the second because it seems as if strange things are going on at Central...

Stay Calm, Hero Bak is on his way!

The Scene jumps to Komui who looks really stressed and gets a call from his old friend Bak-chan. He warns him that the American Branch Chief will appear and that he should not do anything until he arrives. Before Komui can say anything, the next new Person, Renee Epstein, arrives. Do you all remember she was mentioned some chapters ago? Take a look: http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/171/017/

She has done something with this fragment and I’m nearly 100% sure that her appearence in this place has something to do with the Egg. I will stop here but what are your thoughts?

Rating: B

Chapter was good and a lot has happened, although it was nothing spectacular. I hope Hoshino will answer some questions soon, speculating is really exhausting sometimes >D

Predictions:

Difficult to say, I have no plan what Renee Epstein wants from Komui, although it must be something with the fragment. I can see a big revealment coming and I’m sure it will be quite surprising ;D And I would not wonder if her purpose includs Allen somehow, we will see <____<

This was it for this week, I hope you liked my first D.Gray-man Review. I’m a bit on a rush today, so you can expect (or hope for XD) a better review next time.
    See ya
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; April 12, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ameya730's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Niichans Chapter Review: D.Gray-man 184

nice review i am glad someone started to review D GrayMan cause it deserves it simply because of its complex storyline and amazing artwork hope you continue in the future

the only thing that i like to point out is the smiling face in the mirrors beside tyki and roade is not the 14th noah but rather the noah of pleasure

essentially i think we are seeing tyki and allen awakening at the same time roade seems calm about this cause she has awakened completely and she knows how the process is
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member andrewsungchehau's Avatar
    Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice review.
    The science guy is called Didi,1st appearance is at Asia Branch HQ,http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/85/16/, http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/85/17/, and introduced in chapter 170, http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/170/12/.
    About Renee Epstein,her 1st appearance is at the meeting after the Noah Ark arc. Chapter 136. http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/136/Image00005/. She's also one of the branch head that involved in the HQ under siege arc.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hopeandlight's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

great review
    thank you very much

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siberia's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

a nice post, Im waiting for ur next comment ~
    but Im still wondering what the meaning of 184th's title?

And I think Allen can still notice something happened when he is 14th, coz in 182, Kanda called Allen "Mo Ya Shi" when he was 14th and Allen can still remember that
    Last edited by Siberia; April 13, 2009 at 06:57 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Asmoden's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, we should make this an habitude

Why Skin and Tiky does have a white reflection and allen a black and much detailed one?
    Is it because the 14th is the strongest or somewhat different?

Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asmoden View Post

Why Skin and Tiky does have a white reflection and allen a black and much detailed one?
    Yeah,it would be great.xD
    It's hard to compare who's the strongest Noah for the meantime as we still know them little only. But the 14th is somehow special cause there should have been 13 Noah originally only.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ying_su's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! XD

TIMCANPY FOR THE WIN!!!

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ameya730 View Post
    nice review i am glad someone started to review D GrayMan cause it deserves it simply because of its complex storyline and amazing artwork hope you continue in the future

the only thing that i like to point out is the smiling face in the mirrors beside tyki and roade is not the 14th noah but rather the noah of pleasure

essentially i think we are seeing tyki and allen awakening at the same time roade seems calm about this cause she has awakened completely and she knows how the process is
    thanks and yeah, I totally agree. I will try to make a weekly release
    that's one nice theory but look here: http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/130/16/

the Earl said that Tyki is fully-fledged awakened.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewsungchehau
    Nice review.
    The science guy is called Didi,1st appearance is at Asia Branch HQ,http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/85/16/, http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/85/17/, and introduced in chapter 170, http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/170/12/.
    About Renee Epstein,her 1st appearance is at the meeting after the Noah Ark arc. Chapter 136. http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/136/Image00005/. She's also one of the branch head that involved in the HQ under siege arc.
    Ahhh Didi was his name, thanks for the help ;D
    about Renee: you're right, I did not remember that. Glad that you have such a good memory

Quote Originally Posted by yvonnelsw
    a nice post, Im waiting for ur next comment ~
    but Im still wondering what the meaning of 184th's title?

And I think Allen can still notice something happened when he is 14th, coz in 182, Kanda called Allen "Mo Ya Shi" when he was 14th and Allen can still remember that
    thanks I'm also wondering about the title but I could not found anything about the meaning of neogyps :/
    About the Moyashi: Maybe Allen heard it in his subconscious but it could be a hint =)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmoden

yes, that's a good idea
    Are you reffering to this? http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/167/07/
    I think this shadow is the 14th and has nothing do to with the white face in the cullet. Or do you mean something other?

I'm really happy about all the positive comments, thank you very much I will try my best to make a good review every week

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review! I also agreed with you that the 14th was using Allen's memories of Mana to gain control of his body.

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    thanks I'm also wondering about the title but I could not found anything about the meaning of neogyps :/
    cnet128's translation states that neogyps is an obsure, extinct bird of prey. I did a little research and found out that neogyps is under the hawk classification (just CTRL F the word "neogyps") while in this blog, it was defined as this: "Hertel 1995 notes that Neogyps, 'the "Errant eagle" was originally considered an eagle with vulturine habits'..."

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siberia's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    Thanks for the review! I also agreed with you that the 14th was using Allen's memories of Mana to gain control of his body.

cnet128's translation states that neogyps is an obsure, extinct bird of prey. I did a little research and found out that neogyps is under the hawk classification (just CTRL F the word "neogyps") while in this blog, it was defined as this: "Hertel 1995 notes that Neogyps, 'the "Errant eagle" was originally considered an eagle with vulturine habits'..."
    so how does it relate to 184???? Sounds fun coz there are heaps of opinions on that title

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the title is describing the 14th? He seems fierce and tough like a bird of prey; likewise, he is using another person's body, which is almost like a vulture waiting for another animal to do the dirty work of getting food for it. This is just a guess though.

Country
    Brunei
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    Maybe the title is describing the 14th? He seems fierce and tough like a bird of prey; likewise, he is using another person's body, which is almost like a vulture waiting for another animal to do the dirty work of getting food for it. This is just a guess though.
    . Sounds like it. Hoshino sensei really came out great names for D Gray Man chapters. That's 1 of the reason why I love this series so much.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Snowolf's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely review. you've inspired me.

As for the whole thing on Noah, I'm not sure if that was the Noah's voice. Maybe it was just one of those "darkness" voices (the ones that tell you that you can't do it, that you suck, and your life sucks, etc) reminiscent of the Lvl 4 Akuma. I don't think it was really the Noah's voice.

But Mana coming and almost appearing to forget Allen's name definitely means a transition to the awakening of the 14th is coming (hopefully, soon). And the environment of the dream looks somewhat similar to the place Tyki and Road were at, y/n?

I personally don't think the 14th "minds" Allen, it's more of a "i really don't care who's body I'm in, I'm going to kick the Earl's ass" kind of thing in my point of view. So far, as we have seen the 14 really seems like a double edged sword- he helps Allen play the music and save everyone's butt, but in this chapter, he looks like a real shady person. I think he has his own motivations to do what he wants to do, and we won't find those motivations (though I'm pretty sure they have to do with teh "other side of the war" thing) until Allen dives further into the 14th's existence and perhaps, his memories.

As for Tyki and Road showing up randomly in this chapter- if Tyki is still having problems with the sword attack, I'm pretty sure Allen's going to experience some severe pain with stabbing himself....and where were they? What was up with the broken glass/ pictures of smiling faces? And why did Road look all cut up? *scratches head*

On Komui/HQ: looks like treason, speculation, and secrecy is all swirling even further into this big mass of OMGWHUT? kind of thing. What's her connection with the Egg? What was she required to do with it? She doesn't seem like the friendly type, that's for sure. Almost like Leverrier. (We can't deal with TWO of them!) And what's up with the Cross betrayal event? Is she connected to it?

One last note- it seems that Hoshimura-san is delving into the Central HQ mystery/Crow Existence first, and then the 14th (though it looks like she's kinda doing both). So we just might have to wait. *cries*

Looks like Hoshimura-san has a LOT of questions to answer...in good time, of course. XD

I'm giving this an A, because we saw 14th!Allen (that's all, and he made me drool lulz) and Tyki and Road, but in terms of content, another B+/A-
    lj fan. doctor who/fringe/house/bones/chuck/etc obsessor. tv geek.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner rukiah's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

you review is amazing, I waiting next! thanks ^^
    **Signature thanks for Vado Esteban^^**

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast