Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The dissappointment of Devil Fruit

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

The dissappointment of Devil Fruit

I don't know if there is a thread with similar meaning of the discussion topic i wanted to make, because i sought it before but i haven't found it. So i made this thread.

I know Devil Fruit is a great trademark of One Piece, but i apologize if i will rant a little about this. Not its specifications of power, not its categorization (Logia, Paramecia, Zoan), not the Fruit itself. But it eventually comes to me as a little bit of disappointment, because of the method a Devil Fruit is gained by a character.

Luffy found it inside a chest and just ate it because he just likes to eat anything. Blackbeard gained it by killing his nakama because he previously saw the fruit in the hands of Thatch. The others, if they were explained, i don't remember.

But the point is, it's by chance. Coincidence. Fate. Someone doesn't have to train his physical strength rigorously, for example, to get this fruit. Someone doesn't have to struggle in his/her studies and knowledge to be a genius before he/she can get a Devil Fruit. Someone doesn't have to achieve a certain level of maturity, or compassion, or bravery, in his/her heart to be able to get it.

"Hey, what's this strange fruit i picked up in this forest while i was hanging out with my friends? Wow! It's the God God Fruit! I become God!"

You can blame me for whining too much, but i really expect a genius like Oda can invent a great method for achieving a Devil Fruit, so that someone who will get it actually deserves it.

For a puny example (a bit long):

Spoiler show

Cheesy, i know. I just created that story as i began to type. But i think i've made my point across. I just hoped, from a man as great in plot making as Oda, that the way to get a powerful Devil Fruit can be more deserving to a character, instead of putting a coincidence. Again, i'm sorry for the rant. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Antares; August 06, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The uncoolness of Devil Fruit (???)

its random and that is good

we have seen real strong devilfruits on weak characters, like the bomb bomb fruit on mr. 5 and also we have a seen a giraffezoan by a sworduser and a soapfruit by his comrade...

i like that shit

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member lan2cp's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

You could say that even if you do get Devil's fruit by chance, if you don't have the dedication, will or creativity, you won't be able to use it's full potential. That's one of the things I like from One Piece. Take Luffy for example, he's a rubberman. That isn't exactly the strongest devil fruit but we've seen how he's been able to defeat oponents with "stronger" devil's fruit than him. So even if it is luck or however you want to put it, the hard work comes after getting the fruit, so I guess it evens out. I dunno, just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by lan2cp; August 06, 2009 at 08:18 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raysen_ht's Avatar
    Sky... if u look carefully u will find me
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that its random!! Its different than what we are used to.
    And having a strong devil fruit doesnt necessaraly means you´re strong... You have to perfect the use of your power!! Do you really think that if a regular man ate the gura gura fruit (WB fruit) he would have the power to "destroy the world"?
    Imagine if WB had eaten Buggy´s fruit... he would probably make it so good the he could split to celular level... maybe he could become like a virus and infect people from the inside.. stuf like that!!
    Eating a "strong" devil fruit doesnt, necessarely, make you strong...
    A melhor thread, com as melhores pessoas, os melhores assuntos na melhor língua
    ___________Portuguese thread v.14 Entre e conheça!!__________

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

A devil fruit in itself won't make you insanely storng instantly though. A fruit merely provides you with an ability but how strong you become depends strictly on how the power in developed. The manga has also proven that not matter what fruit you have, you are never invulnerable. The manga has repeatedly proven there are ways to get past the physical properties of a DF user and hurt him like if he was normal. The gorgon sisters were able to hurt luffy like he was normal, WB could hurt ace easily, raileight could hurt kizaru and so on... A DF needs a strong physical body to back it up otherwise you will be easily beaten.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Devil Fruits may make someone stronger than before, but they have to train with their abilities and find new ways of using them to truely become strong with the powers. Otherwise they just become a liablity.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Logias are a little broken in that respect, Usopp with a logia could take on most of the world. So far though only powerful people have had logia fruits so I imagine they're hard enough to find that you have to be a complete badass to do so.

That said, there are two places I disagree with you. First, by your description, how would a bad guy ever get a devil fruit?

More importantly, you're implying that devil fruits are the only thing to happen by fate or chance. It drives me nuts when people say characters aren't badass just because they get their badass from a DF. Should we not consider Garp a badass because he was lucky enough to be born a D? Is Hancock not a badass because she was lucky enough to get the King's haki? Do you think there is any amount of physical training that would turn Usopp into Sentoumaru or Shanks, or were Sentoumaru and Shanks just lucky enough to be born that strong? Hell, is Sanji not a badass because he only got lucky in meeting Zeff?
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but the idea of fate choosing the wielder is quite romantic, which is why I find it worthwhile.

Still, that said: most devil fruits are only granted to those that are powerful, though some are found simply by chance.

E.g. Blackbeard got his through a contest of power by killing Thatch, the finder of the DF.
    On the other hand, Chopper was just an reindeer runt who found the human fruit by chance alone.

Fate plays a big part in One Piece, though hard work always counts for something also, you could see fate and chance as the defining factors between characters.

But yeah, even though someone like Ussop could technically get a logia and power up beyond someone who has trained their whole life, getting the logia fruit would be part of his fate and the sudden jump in power would ensure he is remembered as strong rather than weak. (Just an example, Ussop will never be strong =P )

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    You could say that even if you do get Devil's fruit by chance, if you don't have the dedication, will or creativity, you won't be able to use it's full potential
    Yes, i know this, but what if, like bittman mentioned also about Usopp's case, what if someone weak, plain, lazy etc got a God God fruit? Isn't it a little off?

Quote Quote:
    First, by your description, how would a bad guy ever get a devil fruit?
    No, no, the "good boy Shiro fascinating the Gura Gura Fruit by his will to protect" It's just an example. Blackbeard, while being "a bad guy", has a great determination to fulfill his dreams, and he obviously had cope his obstacles and gone through difficult parts of his life to achieve his mental and physical strength. Because the various nature of Devil Fruits, isn't it possible for a "Darkness" Devil Fruit to be attracted by a "Dark" nature of Teach? You know, something along that line.

Quote Quote:
    More importantly, you're implying that devil fruits are the only thing to happen by fate or chance. It drives me nuts when people say characters aren't badass just because they get their badass from a DF. Should we not consider Garp a badass because he was lucky enough to be born a D? Is Hancock not a badass because she was lucky enough to get the King's haki? Do you think there is any amount of physical training that would turn Usopp into Sentoumaru or Shanks, or were Sentoumaru and Shanks just lucky enough to be born that strong? Hell, is Sanji not a badass because he only got lucky in meeting Zeff?
    Well, i don't know about "born a D", but to get a King's Haki, for example, it's been mentioned that you must have the "King's disposition to stand above the others", so i wouldn't complain about it because there obviously were "efforts" made by Hancock, or Luffy, though unconsciously and unknowingly about the Haki itself. Efforts in order to become worthy enough to be able to use it.

About Sentoumaru and Shanks being born that strong, i guess there is nobody "born that strong". One must train physically, and so on, etc. I mean, to achieve physical strength, whether you are trained by Zeff or not, you yourself must have the will to be stronger, right?

I don't mean to say that the plot about Devil Fruits - BB killing Thatch, causing Ace to pursue, causing WB vs WG etc - i just don't like the randomness that is, in extreme situation, would and could cause an unworthy person to become crazy strong, feared, and respected just because he/she found something in his/her backyard while there is no effort required from him/her at all.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The dissappointment of Devil Fruit

The thing about Blackbeard is that he was very strong even before eating the fruit. He supposedly gave the scar on Shanks' face more than 10 years ago. That's a lot before even eating the Yami Yami no Mi.
    And all the strong villains (Eneru,Crocodile,Moria) Luffy has beaten have to be strong, otherwise it wouldn't be exciting, it's just that having a DF ability makes it more enjoyable - to see how Luffy's rubber can cope with their different abilities.

People who eat a DF also need to master their moves and who knows how they come up with stuff like that, that's what makes it exciting to me.

There can be no hard way of gaining a Devil Fruit. You either find it from a tree(if they actually grow on trees, that is), get it from a treasure box, steal it from someone or just eat it. I don't think the story of finding a certain DF is as interesting as the powers and appearances the characters get. It makes their personality work better.

And in the future Oda will probably tell us the real story about Devil Fruits as Vegapunk. Maybe they're not so magical after all ? Who knows what they really are meant for or what they actually are. Oda can make up a grand story with a lot of conspiracies and theories and things that go together all along, thatswhy he is a genius.

Sure, maybe I'm not understanding you completely, but the accessibility of Devil Fruits and the sheer number and diversity of them is what makes OP One Piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

you want df's to turn one piece into an rpg? like a quest for a power up? no thank you.
    click to join mangahelpers facebook group

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Fruit can be found anywhere. It's not something that you have to work or train hard to obtain. By chance, Chopper could have found his Devil Fruit by chance while in the snow forest.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

The only point I don't like is when BlackBeard can know exactly which fruit is the yami yami no fruit

I mean, basically people shouldn't know what kinds of DF it is until they eat it. Lucci also mentioned it during CP9 arc.

Speaking of most powerful characters have Logia ability, you can say it in another way that Logia ability make people powerful.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D.King View Post
    The only point I don't like is when BlackBeard can know exactly which fruit is the yami yami no fruit

I mean, basically people shouldn't know what kinds of DF it is until they eat it. Lucci also mentioned it during CP9 arc.

Speaking of most powerful characters have Logia ability, you can say it in another way that Logia ability make people powerful.
    I agree- BlackBeard exactly knowing what powers can come out of a fruit and not something that comes off chance is a bit off. Better yet, he knew about the fruit's power for years. Perhaps he was informed by somebody on WB's ship who knew of the fruit's powers...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raysen_ht's Avatar
    Sky... if u look carefully u will find me
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

He just saw the fruit in the DF's book... the same one that shanks had and thats how he knew that the fruit Luffi ate was the gomu gomu one
    here...
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/1/20/
    A melhor thread, com as melhores pessoas, os melhores assuntos na melhor língua
    ___________Portuguese thread v.14 Entre e conheça!!__________

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast