Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Saijou no Meii

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Saijou no Meii

Title: Saijou no Meii
    Genres: Shounen, Drama, Comedy, Medical
    Author: Hashiguchi Takashi, Irie Kenzou
    Artist: Hashiguchi Takashi
    Publication: Shogakukan
    Start Date:2008
    End Date: Ongoing
    Number of chapters at review: 19
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 19

General Overview:
    Dr. Shindou Mamoru operated on the heart of a baby, Saijou Mikoto. Having been saved by Dr. Shindou Mamoru, young Saijou Mikoto aspired to become the best pediatric surgeon Japan has yet to see.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8
    The art was great. The characters are nicely drawn. Likewise with the buildings and scenery. The art is just fantastic. I do have to say that the weak-stomached might want to take this manga slow.

My only complaint was how Mikoto's adult face was drawn. The difference from his adult face and his child face are extremely similar. I suppose Mikoto has a baby face. The face, I thought, should've been longer.

Plot: 7
    A young Mikoto was introduced to the readers and then a time skip. The reason for this explained why did Mikoto pursued what he did and why he's level is high. After a long time skip, Mikoto now has to establish himself in Japan. This won't be an easy feat but it's interesting none-the-less.

Characters: 7
    There isn't much depth to the characters that's presented. Certainly, there is interest in conflict such as self versus others. Because of this, the environment in the manga has become perplexing.

I think that as the story progress, the characters will become more flushed as each on matures.

Theme: 8
    Finding a way to help other people would be a suitable theme for this manga. There are countless ways to help people. Just as a pediatric surgeon saved Mikoto's life, Mikoto's way is to repay society back is by becoming a pediatric surgeon.

Originality: 9
    I'm not too sure of any other shounen type pediatric manga out there. This might actually be my first though the manga does get gruesome.

Overall: 10

I think that Saijou no Meii is a good read. I picked up some medical terms. Well, I suppose I forgot them almost as fast as I learned them. There are other venues for people to get their fill of medical drama such as ER and others but Saijou no Meii is the manga venue.

For those that want to read something different with battles being fought against tumor or other medical aliments, a different setting, Saijou no Meii is sure an interesting pick.

Spoiler: Scenes from Chapter 1 show
    Last edited by segua; March 04, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner T3Z0N's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saijou no Meii

I totally agree. However the characters deserve a 7. Its ingenius to
    make it simple and yet make the characters seem interesting. At least
    thats my opinion. Tho I can see how you graded it 5.

Also the plot can't be rated yet, at least not in my opinion, due to the
    fact that only 9 chapters has been released so far. It is most possible
    that we will get more depth of Saijou Mikoto and therefor learn more
    about his past, such as how he studied and all that.

I do apoligize if it sounds like bad critism, I find it very hard to rate the
    manga myself, but you did a terrific job man. Reps to you.

I also want to say, by the first chapter I was captured by it! I've read a
    veterinary manga, which also is good, however, this is on a whole new
    level. It really grabbed me and it pulled me in. When I was done reading
    chapter 9, I found myself wanting to read more. I tried looking for raw
    releases, but I guess the raw chapter releases arent further ahead.

I also give it a 10 tho. Everyone should at least read the first chapter.

Also, sorry if Im not allowed to post here. Haha, its my first post on this
    forum! So again, my deepest apoligizes if Ive overstepped a rule or so.

Yours, T.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your feedback. You're right that it's hard to grade the plot because nine chapters just came out. Actually, I wasn't quite finished with my review when it was placed here. It needs more polishing and a little more thought not to mention the spoiler pictures.

Also, welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by segua; April 26, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I totaly agree with your feedback.

But the scanlation team SnoopyCool seems to be dead...I've the raw of the 11th chapter, i'll post it at MH maybe a japanese translator could help us?

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, with all due respect to the reviewer, I gotta heavily disagree. I found this on the first page of a google search and felt the need to give a different input.

I would give every section a score of 10. Saying that as an artist experienced in the field of manga. It's one of the most sensational reads I'm come across and I'm aching for more.

I'll reply the points that I don't agree on, sorry if I seem rather blunt. I don't have an editor at my disposal to make the tone sound more pleasing.

Art:
    Did you notice that the way he drew American adults were with way extra long faces than in real life? Asians tend to keep a baby face. I'm asian and had a baby face all my life while watching my caucasian friends go through significant metamorphisis in that area. Asians tend to keep androgyny and petite features. Yes it's similar but even with all my scrutiny I'd say the artist still did a perfect job in the transition.

Plot:
    There are plenty of other series with main character growth to satisfy your taste. But I'm happy with the direction this is taking even if it's the same as Yakitate Japan. Instead of the main character growing, the people around him grow, watching and learning the innate genius thought processes. And most importantly, the reader grows. I learn from the main character's decisions and draw so much inspiration from him.
    The author does a superb job in maintaining a medical theme with just enough technical stuff while making it interesting from any ordinary person.

Characters:
    Perfect for their purpose. If they were more ornamental for Naruto or magical girl type tastes, it would throw the comic off balance. If they were any more realistic it'd be a boring visual monotone read. As it is now, it's perfectly balanced to be interesting to shounen audience and keeping true to doctor field.
    Even as someone who has no clue about hospital works at all, I feel totally captivated by Mikoto's courage and work ethic.
    Maybe you guys grade it as 5 or 7 to reflect your tastes, but the characters couldn't get better really. Why don't you give it a try and try to make grade of 10 characters while having to progress the story and have them on task and have them entertain at the same time? Then you'll learn to appreciate.

I read Yakitate Japan so I know while the two mangas have similar themes, the content is totally fresh and didn't disappoint me! At all! Japanese top mangakas are out of this world.

MORE SCANLATION CHAPTERS PLEASE!
    Last edited by Godot; November 01, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good input. I still, however, think he should of a least lengthen it a bit more.

I think that since you have gone that far with your "statement," you should make it a full-fledge review Godot. It's much more than a comment.

Thanks again for the input.

New Reply