Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Otaku Cafe Hangout

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otaku Cafe Hangout

I wanted to invite you to join us in the collective reading of
    Quote Quote:
    EDEN, IT'S AN ENDLESS WORLD, by Endo Hiroki
    We will begin in May 30th/13. Here the thread for the collective reading: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...by-ENDO-Hiroki

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner trunkschan90's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Jack Fans Unite!

I'm sure everybody knows about the series Black Jack by the god of manga Osamu Tezuka. At Anime Sols they're streaming Black Jack anime episodes along with other series. Anime Sols is also a crowdfunding site, just like Kickstarter, where the person can pledge a certain amount to get the DVD boxset and other goodies. http://animesols.com/

Right now Black Jack has hit the 50% and is at $11,155 so we need $10,845 more to reach the goal to get a DVD set. Pledge any amount you can afford and get lots of neat goodies. Where are all those 200+ Black Jack fans hiding! If the series Creamy Mami can make it’s goal in record time, then so can Black Jack. We have 3 days to reach that goal!

Keep spreading the word!

Black Jack TV Set 1 (Eps 0-12): $11,155 of $22,000 ( less than 3 days left)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner endlessabyss's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but what is the difference(s) between a tankoban and a kanketshuhen volume? If the tankoban is an incomplete series (let's say only one volume is out) and a later released version is released as a kanketshen volume, is the latter a second volume of the incomplete manga? A sequel?
    Last edited by endlessabyss; August 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Palau
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Inu Yasha Kanketsu hen?

Kanketshu hen means Final Act.
    Final Act - the last story arc of the series.

I'm not 100% sure though.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Pirulito's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

There were a thread in Otaku Shoten forum about number of circulations of various series. What happened to it?

Se entendeu essa frase, entre nessa bagaça

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...Comic-Rankings

Sales figures are sometimes posted to the appropriate magazine thread too.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Pirulito's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

It is not Oricon thread. I think Heiji created a thread two years ago and posted numbers of circulation of many series. We talked about numbers of circulation in Oricon and after that a thread about it was created.

Maybe it was lost due to the server crash a while ago.

Se entendeu essa frase, entre nessa bagaça

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a list of manga and anime that prohibits the production of fanworks (i.e. fan fiction, fan art, doujinshi).

Spoiler: Let me know if the translation is off or if there's a better title to call these works by. show

What I find interesting is that Shueisha -arguably one of the most influential publishers in Japan- is absent. A lot of its published works are popular so there's a huge fanbase creating things based on them; therefore, I wonder why Shueisha doesn't have a list like the other publishers. Is it because they don't care? Is it because everything is out of bounds? Or did they give up trying to enforce a ban because of the large number of fans?

Although since some well-known manga and anime are absent (e.g. Magi is absent in Shogakukan's list), I assume it's the creators/copyright owners who ask not to have fanworks derived from their work rather than the publisher.

EDIT: It makes me wonder if there's a clause in Shueisha's contract where it says, "People will write fan fic and draw fan art/doujinshi from your manga. Deal with it ".

EDIT EDIT: Some of them are companies rather than publishers.
    Last edited by Asarii; September 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe it depends on the mangaka? if he/she is alright with Doujinshi.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    maybe it depends on the mangaka? if he/she is alright with Doujinshi.
    I think so too. If the publishers don't want any of their series to be made into fanworks, they wouldn't have to be so specific with which ones are prohibited.

On the other hand, Shueisha is probably more lax about it. Although some mangaka wouldn't like doujinshi and fan fics to be made from their work, they probably know it's beneficial in terms of popularity.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Fairy Tail being on that list just makes me laugh. Mashima has an official twitter and converses with his fans a lot. He also retweets fanart people send him. It must be his publisher, because he really doesn't seem like the guy who would flat out prohibit fanwork.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the source again, and the prohibition seems to be on the lines of "creating fanworks without permission". Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has a fan art submission section in its tankobon, and it was published from the same magazine as Fairy Tail.

Since Mashima is re-tweeting fan art that are sent to him, obviously he's given the fans permission to do so and is not entirely against the idea about fanworks being made. It's probably the things that are NOT sent to him such as anything rated R18 or non-canon pairings (LOL) that he's not too keen on. On the other hand, I also agree that publishers play a role too. Kodansha makes up the largest category so they're obviously very strict; looking down the list, a lot of what's prohibited are well-known series. (I don't see Aku no Hana or Bloody Monday on there.)

Obviously things aren't black & white, and I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into which series are listed. I just find this all interesting! A few weeks ago there was a heated online discussion I came across that was debating whether artists who create fan art have copyright to their work and whether fanworks fall into a grey area or not. Creating models based on manga/anime characters on Miku Miku Dance is also becoming popular so here's another type of fan work that publishers might need to consider.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm questioning what are the factors being taken into consideration when a particular work is prohibited to be reproduced, though. Like Asarii said, I think the decision is not merely based on economic benefits, I'm thinking one of the possible reasons is request from the author (just like George R.R. Martin in the west) to prohibit any fan made, but I'm still not sure for any other reason besides that.

The effectiveness of prohibiting fan made works are questionable either, just because it's "officially" prohibited, that doesn't mean people couldn't get away with it. Unless Japanese copyright laws are very strict in defining protection of creative works, I cannot see such prohibition is achieving what it wants to.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There might be a whole range of factors as to which works are prohibited or not; as far as I'm aware, GRRM is against fan fiction but is okay with fan art.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    The effectiveness of prohibiting fan made works are questionable either, just because it's "officially" prohibited, that doesn't mean people couldn't get away with it. Unless Japanese copyright laws are very strict in defining protection of creative works, I cannot see such prohibition is achieving what it wants to.
    I agree since Comiket is thriving every year without any serious repercussions.

Even though Japanese fans are continuing to do what they want to do, they are fully aware that what they're doing is frowned upon from the publishers. For that reason they are very strict about anyone redistributing their fan art, fan fic and doujin without permission (無断転成). Fan works are supposed to be enjoyed in private and so it becomes a problem if it somehow makes it way over to the public.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Even though Japanese fans are continuing to do what they want to do, they are fully aware that what they're doing is frowned upon from the publishers. For that reason they are very strict about anyone redistributing their fan art, fan fic and doujin without permission (無断転成). Fan works are supposed to be enjoyed in private and so it becomes a problem if it somehow makes it way over to the public.
    The bolded part is kind of.. perplexing for me, I mean isn't comicket can be classified as a public event? Or does that mean that Doujinka are not allowed to gain profits for themselves by mass producing it?

New Reply
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast