Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Otaku Cafe Hangout

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Weapon_X's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otaku Cafe Hangout

Well since Naruto is my favourite manga and I love it , but does it have any chance of ever being number 1 in history? I think it deserves it, after some years obviously.

Because at volume 44 it has reached 90 million sales. And currently is Naruto volume 46, and by the way since One Piece is still going, how long will Naruto go?
    Last edited by Weapon_X; May 09, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
    ..: Greatest Doujutsu Prodigies :..

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    North Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Even as a Naruto fan I see no chance of it surpassing One Piece or Dragon Ball, that's the truth, in Japan One Piece and Dragonball are regarded as classics. Naruto is never going to be as long as One Piece. 1st in history is an unrealistic target, getting into the top 10 would still be a great achievement.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Weapon_X's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

But it's already gotten into the top 10 . It's in 5th place with nearly 90 million sales. Even when the manga ends, there are people who still will be buying the manga if they are beginners or whatever. I'm just saying as the time goes but would it reach 1 or 2?

Also have to think about worldwide sales as well, not just Japan, as we know manga is getting more popular throughout UK, America and other countries. Man it would be nice to see Kishimoto's series be #1. ^___^
    ..: Greatest Doujutsu Prodigies :..

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Naruto could outsell Slam Dunk if it continues selling at it's current pace. Maybe two more years worth of volumes to join the 100,000,000 club.
    At the rate it's going, Naruto will only last for another 5-10 volumes. It has about 40 million volumes between it and Slam Dunk. I don't think that it will make it before the series ends. It just doesn't seem likely. It will probably sell over 100 million sooner or later, MAYBE before the series ends, but that would take A LOT of sales of old volumes, because it has about 20 million volumes to go, and then ANOTHER 20 million to catch up to where Slam Dunk is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_X View Post
    But it's already gotten into the top 10 . It's in 5th place with nearly 90 million sales. Even when the manga ends, there are people who still will be buying the manga if they are beginners or whatever. I'm just saying as the time goes but would it reach 1 or 2?
    Impossible. Naruto would have to be twice as long as it is now to outsell Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Kochikame. It just isn't as popular (or in Kochikame's case, as long) as the others. It's still QUITE popular, but not exactly "eternal pop culture icon" popular, which Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Kochikame are. And long, they're also long. Kochikame is already the longest manga in history, and One Piece will probably be about 100 volumes long itself, hopefully. Naruto will be about 50, do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_X View Post
    Also have to think about worldwide sales as well, not just Japan, as we know manga is getting more popular throughout UK, America and other countries. Man it would be nice to see Kishimoto's series be #1. ^___^
    Oh, we're talking Japan here. Foreign sales are a completely different story. Speaking for America, Naruto is the most popular manga here. By a large margin. You see, Bleach is the second most popular manga, and it's roughly HALF as popular as Naruto. One Piece is 27th most popular (%$^& you, 4Kids), and it's about 14% as popular as Naruto. But ultimately, it's Japan's artform, so its THEIR accounting that matters. At least, that's what the One Piece fandom consoles itself with.
    Last edited by Imitorar; May 10, 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Most Beautiful Male 2013 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just looked at Kochi Kame on Wikipedia they've got 163 volumes???? wow!!! no ones gonna catch up to that...

It's interesting to know that Naruto and Bleach are way popular than OP in America, not that it really matters, all that matters to me is how it fairs out in Japan. I'll have a heart attack the day I hear it's more popular than OP in Japan.

I think OP does have quite a while yet, they still ain't even reached Fishman Island let alone The New World, my guess is we've got AT THE VERY LEAST 4 Volumes before the New World, cos if you think about it, we've been inside Impel Down for nearly 2 Volumes now and we don't know how long Oda plans to show us the war and the strawhat reunion( I'm guessing they'll each tell a story about where they were) and what's gonna happen in the Fishman Island.

Now the whole idea of how Oda wanted to finish this within 6 years seems ridiculous

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Elyon A. Luna's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hallo. I pondered for a while where should this go, and since I couldn't decide, will just ask here, sorry if it's wrong.

Have been looking around in the net for light novel translated releases, but I all can get is RAWs, which I'll by happy to get, but I'd still want to know if there's somewhere you can get something of it....

More precisely, can someone give me a "To aru majutsu no Index" pointers?

Now I'm not sure if this was right to ask, but well.... Thanks!

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, I only know this source for novel translations but the one you look for seems to be not completely translated:
    http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...jutsu_no_Index

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The scanner who provided the entire Dengeki Daioh last month (2009-06) just uploaded this month's as well.... OMG...

I just hope he/she wouldn't burnout soon... whole magazine scanners usually quit after a few issues, with the longest running (that I know of) being the Ultra Jump scanner in 2007/2008, who did about 14 or 15 issues (and UJ is actually the easier of Monthly magazines... Dengeki Daioh's got 600+ pages, that's at least 10 hours of non-stop scanning/minor cleaning!!!)

Anyway, time for me to get busy uploading as well!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gcat88's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a question about Black Cat the anime?!?! i wont do any spoilers but who here has seen the entire series??? i have a question about the last scene. my friends and i discussed it the other day and there was a variety of views on it.

P.S. i agree with everyone above me. OP is no longer just a manga, its a classic and something that has changed so many people. naruto, sorry to say this, will never reach that. the reason OP is so amazing is more than just its story or its artwork. in terms of something that almost all of us can understand, Kochi Kame is like Gone with the Wind not everyone's favorite movie but by far the most popular one ever made. Dragonball is like Star Wars, a series that influenced mangkas for the next couple of decades. im not going to say what movie i believe OP or Naruto is like because then i might become a little biased.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member VASSiLi's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles Loves You View Post
    Death Note did awful in the rankings really. But a high amount of colour whoring and massive tank sales kept it going
    Bha, I don't understand those rankings. Btw, That's probably cuz DN and Bakuman are more Seinen then Shounen.

Moved here due to the demographics topic ~eni
    Last edited by eni; June 04, 2009 at 02:19 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VASSiLi View Post
    Bha, I don't understand those rankings. Btw, That's probably cuz DN and Bakuman are more Seinen then Shounen.
    Bull. Just because a series isn't full of battles and corny friendship speeches doesn't mean that it's a seinen. And just because a series is full of lighthearted fun doesn't mean that it's a shonen. Yotsubato is seinen. Fist of the North Star is shonen (though Japan was lighter on gore 25 years ago). Death Note and Bakuman are certainly more introspective and low-key than a typical Jump series (although Death Note had some thrills, they were "police drama thriller" sort of thrills, not "dramatic fantasy battle" thrills), but they are certainly shonen material. Because if they weren't, then the editors of Weekly Shonen Jump would have told Ohba and Obata to take their work to Weekly Young Jump. But they didn't. So atypical or not, they're shonen. It's what magazine they're in that determines what demographic they're marketed towards, not the content.

Although you are right that it was that introspective, atypical-ness that makes Death Note and Bakuman different than most Jump series that put them lower in the rankings, but that had nothing to do with being marketed toward the wrong demographic, they just weren't what their demographic usually saw. But they were still certainly aimed at that demographic. Now MPD Psycho, THERE'S a manga that was being marketed towards the wrong demographic.
    Last edited by Imitorar; June 03, 2009 at 03:44 PM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese demographics is such a tiresome topic :3

Quote Originally Posted by Imitorar View Post
    Now MPD Psycho, THERE'S a manga that was being marketed towards the wrong demographic.
    Btw, MPD Psycho gets moved to a new young adult magazine. Together with the Evangelion manga which also moves from a shounen mag to an older demographic.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eni View Post
    Btw, MPD Psycho gets moved to a new young adult magazine. Together with the Evangelion manga which also moves from a shounen mag to an older demographic.
    I know. In fact, I think that that fact very clearly supports my point.

RAW Providers 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Finestela's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Which is why some magazines (various Dengeki mags and Dragon Age) stopped trying to label themselves with certain demographics

I mean even Jump SQ is pretty ambivalent with series like Tista and Matsuri Special...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Demographics are blurry in many cases already. Look at a bunch of GFantasy series which are supposed to be shounen but attract girls just as well (or even more? xD) due to the bishie character design and clear shounen-ai behavior. DGM and Reborn certainly can thank their female fanbase just as much to hold their sellings up this high...

I loved how they describe the demographic for the new magazine

Quote Originally Posted by ANN
    As a reflection of its target audience of young adults, Young Ace's English tagline describes the publication as a "magazine for people who never give up reading Comic!"
    Last edited by eni; June 03, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast