Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sidonia no Kishi by Nihei Tsutomu

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Sidonia no Kishi by Nihei Tsutomu

Sidonia no Kishi
    By: NIHEI Tsutomu
    Genre: Sci-Fi, Mecha, Action
    Serialized In: Afternoon
    Mangaupdates

Risking his life to ensure humanity's survival, Taniakze Nagate rides out in his silver armour, the Tsugumori!

Thousands of years have passed since the Gauna destroyed the Solar System.

The enormous seed ship, Sidonia, travels through space while propagating and producing humans.

Brought up in the lowest decks of Sidonia, a young man, Tanikaze Nagate, becomes a Guardian trainee, and is authorized to pilot the outdated but historically renowned Tsugumori.

The battle with Nagate's life at stake begins now!

By the Mangaka of Blame and Biomega

Seems to be a sequel (or prequel?) to Tsutomu's previous work "Abara". I noticed he seems to have a thing now for takling bears and his art style has changed for a more shonen look.
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 16, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sidonia no Kishi by Tsutomu Nihei

Knight(s) of Cydonia huh? Can anyone say plagiarism:P?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zarion View Post
    LOL. He must be a big fan.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter one was intriguing. I'll stick with it for a while ^^

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Revilenigma View Post
    Seems to be a sequel (or prequel?) to Tsutomu's previous work "Abara". I noticed he seems to have a thing now for takling bears and his art style has changed for a more shonen look.
    His art style hasn't changed, really.

It's still gritty as hell.

The idea of a talking bear came from Biomega.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Both the bears have artificial hands too. lol

old style:
    Spoiler show

new style:
    Spoiler show

It started to change about halfway through Biomega. The faces of his old style were a bit more detailed than his current shonenesque style and his art isn't as sketchy as in Abara and the later volumes of BLAME!

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Luco's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The art change has left me a bit sad. He must think it's an improvement, but at least his old style had character.

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner illiteracy's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact that it seems like a decent amount of the story is going to be spent in a school is fairly depressing. It looks like it'll follow the generic shonen mecha formula. Although his style should at least make it interesting. I hope.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Laika's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have to say, I'm curious where this will end up. A lot of the reason why his other series were so interesting were just because he wouldn't let himself be tied down to normal narrative conventions. But perhaps since most of his stories have been so narratively loose he wants to experiment more with more conventional types of stories, IE: what we've seen so far with Sidonia no Kishi & Blame Gakuen.

Anyways, I don't think his art has moved in a negative direction. His earlier style may have been more, "unique," but in terms of his art now, a lot of it just feels better because of better proportions. It's true that some of his character designs seem more generic, but his style is still instantly recognizable for me. I wouldn't say that it's to sell it as more shounen at all, you can see his character style evolve through Blame and it's seems to me more polished now than it did back then. The change has been a lot more fluid than just what you see when you put those two images side by side. But his character design has never really been the focus of his works. With the exception of the silicon creatures and other things that he's created, a lot of his basic characters have pretty much always looked the same. It's always been the worlds that he's created that are the most interesting and I hope that he'll be able to continue to create such interesting spaces as he did in biomega/abara/blame etc even if he's focusing more on characters with Sidonia. So far it seems that way, the attention to details and mechanics are really great, but there hasn't been much that really hammered in the scope or range of size of things that was constantly used in Blame and Biomega to produce an illusion of physical space.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ¬Bol's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zarion View Post
    20th Century Boy is a song too.
    °__°

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Sensei 12's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this manga^^

Nihei is still the best

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Cio Koba's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuts Re: Sidonia no Kishi by Tsutomu Nihei

Finally another series by Nihei! ive been waiting since i ended reading zeb-noid, after finishing Abara i needed more of his stories so i read all his one-shots. Seems the release of ''knights'' was around may or so but realy i havent found out until today, so it makes a great new years gift. the bad thing is i just founded 3 issues, are there more?
    The story seems pretty cool, and yea the drawing is different frome Blame!'s but its still true Nihei, main character is another version of killy and the crazy structures are still there. I think he wanted to give his aproach to a typical Mecha storie and im sure hell make it great, u might not understand it but ull surelly enjoy it!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really want somebody to discuss this manga with me.

I'll be posting some spoilers up to chapter 19. (I haven't seen 17, but there's very detailed spoiler in Japanese posted on some blog). If any of you want to know more just ask.

Spoiler show

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Xenos3421's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking for a place that even has the chapters!!

i dont know where i left off tho...

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Illuminati manga is the only group that has ever scanlated it. Head over to their site

Might have to get it off their channel for now but they are building an online reader, Sidonia isn't up yet though.

After rereading chapter 1, I really think this is an underrated series. The art has definitely softened, but is still recognizably Nihei. There is nothing resembling generic shounen. I'm going to reread the first eleven chapters, before reading the newly scanlated one.

---------- Post added June 16, 2011 at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was June 15, 2011 at 04:35 PM ----------

After re-reading, Sidonia is definitely better than I was giving it credit for. The art is every bit as good as his older series, the softer edges are better for suggesting the openness of deep space. The switch to a more character driven, ensemble story is interesting too. Nihei does not exactly have Adachi's touch for writing sharp characters, but all things considered, the principles are worth caring about.

The genre change is definitely a big success. I love his new hard sci-fi, mecha style. The lonely warrior lost in an uncaring world, fighting technology run amuck premise was awesome, but something new is definitely welcome. And Nihei does sci-fi almost as well as he does cyberpunk.

Spoiler: chapter 12 discussion show
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 22, 2011 at 04:34 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast