Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Thread

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I'm guessing he'll stick to the Heat or go with whichever team has the best players.
    This is pretty much what I see he'll do after next season where his contract expires. Either Pat Riley surrounds him with talented players with championship caliber or he'll find himself losing again and search for a team that could afford him and make him a champion with existing great players. It's a smart move, especially if you're being heralded as the best baller in the planet where teams would die just to get you on their team but not ideal in the eyes of majority of sports fans. Heck, he might even go back to Cleveland with Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters and other talented young guns out there. Though I doubt it while Dan Gilbert is still the owner.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope he goes to a team where he can actually show how good he still is without all-stars. I don't think LeBron would have won as many games without the likes of Wade, Bosh, Miller, and Andersen, to name a few, but he'd still be dangerous.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

You're talking as if Jordan or Kobe played alone when they won their titles, as if Lebron didn't get to the finals with the cavs in 2007, as if his stats didn't say that he actually scores more and has a better FG% now than in Cleveland, and as if this wasn't a team sport and he has to score every single basket to be considered a beast...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Lebron is without a doubt the best player in the game today, and has been for awhile. However there are good reasons why he has drawn the hate of the general public, and gone from a heralded hero to a despised villain.

1. The Decision-One of the most arrogant moves in all of sports, to have an hour long special about which team you are going to sign with. Really?
    2. The Pep Rally-A big party, sayin' not one, not two, not three, etc. Also didn't fly well, as it shows a huge ego.
    3. Leaving his home state, his home team, the state where he was born and raised.
    4. Lebron on the Cavs was a feel good story, a guy playing for his home team, a hero for the city of cleveland. Cleveland, a city that hasn't had much success in sports since Jim Brown on the Cleveland Browns.
    5. Joining Dwayne Wade, a top 5 player in the league at the time as well as the best SG in the game in addition to joining Chris Bosh, an all star who was the #1 player on the Raptors. Instead of joining a team with strong role players, joining other top stars as an easy way to get rings. Now the Celtics did this also, however of note that big 3 were in their 30s and were desperately trying to get one ring before retirement. The Miami big 3 were in their mid 20s and in their primes, this made it more distasteful than what Boston had done earlier.
    6. Miami is not a sports city, a bunch of bandwagon fans, as game 6 showed.
    7. Lebron started flopping more than ever before. Flopping even when there is no contact at times. People are universally disgusted by flops and it is a big reason many don't watch the nba anymore.
    8. Heat are well over the cap, in general this is frowned upon. Why the Lakers are considered the Yankees of the NBA.

Just a few of the reasons.

6. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
    You're talking as if Jordan or Kobe played alone when they won their titles, as if Lebron didn't get to the finals with the cavs in 2007, as if his stats didn't say that he actually scores more and has a better FG% now than in Cleveland, and as if this wasn't a team sport and he has to score every single basket to be considered a beast...
    Apparently pau gasol, shaq, rodman, pippen, ... are not all stars. Or at least not at the same level of a kneeless wade and a 0point game7 bosh...

Apparently, leading the cavs to the finals by singlehandly destroying the pistons doesn t prove anything. It was maybe the worst team to ever reach the finals but of course it isn t proving that lbj is able to bring a shitty team to playoffs.

And of course, lbj didn t lead the heat at all. Of course he is the best scorer, rebounder, stealer and passer in the finals for his team but those are just stats ...

Jakensama -- first intelligent critic towards lebron that i read here. But still, when you compare this to jordan hitting his teamates or morally harrassing them , when you compare this to being an absolute ass who managed to put pregnant a teenager and abandonning her like malone did, ... so when you see the amount of bad deeds done by jordan or malone for examplr, I find people very hard towards lebron
    Last edited by zelllogan; June 23, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Jaken and I mentioned a lot of the same things, so I don't know how it's the first intelligent critique, but whatever.

And the comparison still continues. I'm not holding LeBron to his standard, or not meaning to. You keep bringing MJ into this for some reason, I don't get it.

Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow this not-so-old video got into my Facebook newsfeed many times.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Jaken and I mentioned a lot of the same things, so I don't know how it's the first intelligent critique, but whatever.

And the comparison still continues. I'm not holding LeBron to his standard, or not meaning to. You keep bringing MJ into this for some reason, I don't get it.
    I'll explain the "first intelligent post" part.
    I'll do partial quotes:

Your first answer: Jordan kept his mouth shut ---> Just false and it's a fact
    2nd answer: Everyone trash-talks on the court, that's a fact. Jordan never had a reason to address his "haters" because there was never any doubt about his place in history. --> Just false and it's a fact. There are players who play without trashtalking like K. Leonard who is almost speechless (It was stated by Tim Duncan). Jordan adressed his haters & there was doubt.

(remark that you named Jordan twice yourself)

answer number 3: They put a mic in his face after they won and it was all about him rebuking his haters instead of giving props to his teammates. And I don't care if he was asked about it, show some common sense and not even address it. ---> Saying that LBJ is not thankfull towards his teammates & then criticizing him because he answered a question. That's pure hater material

There were good things in your answers but jaken didn't put anything where I screamed to myself: "that's just wrong".

Then there are M3J answers ... A guy asking if LBJ had put any buzzerbeaters clearly doesn't know much about the NBA. Everyone following NBA should remember his buzzer beater vs Orlando in playoffs for example (talking about orlando, he did a buzzer beater against them this season as well ...). I mean come on now ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrwlpM5dQ4w

But I have to apologize to raDar because his posts didn't content pure nonsense.
    Last edited by zelllogan; June 23, 2013 at 05:48 AM.

Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Then there are M3J answers ... A guy asking if LBJ had put any buzzerbeaters clearly doesn't know much about the NBA. Everyone following NBA should remember his buzzer beater vs Orlando in playoffs for example (talking about orlando, he did a buzzer beater against them this season as well ...). I mean come on now ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrwlpM5dQ4w
    THAT BUZZER BEATER AGAINST ORLANDO IS ONE OF THE THINGS I WON'T FORGET IN MY TIME AS A HUGE LBJ FAN. I watched that game live and it was really epic. Though not that epic a series as a whole since they lost in the end but yeah, one of my favorite LBJ moments.

Quote Quote:
    But I have to apologize to raDar because his posts didn't content pure nonsense.
    Did you mean my posts were just pure nonsense?

MH's Most Passionate Member 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member scav's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

this thread turned into comedy

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

da hell you talkin about

MH's Most Passionate Member 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member scav's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

where dem red noses at, u'll all make a great show with it

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raDar View Post
    THAT BUZZER BEATER AGAINST ORLANDO IS ONE OF THE THINGS I WON'T FORGET IN MY TIME AS A HUGE LBJ FAN. I watched that game live and it was really epic. Though not that epic a series as a whole since they lost in the end but yeah, one of my favorite LBJ moments.

Did you mean my posts were just pure nonsense?
    No, the opposite .
    But scav is right. The thread turned into comedy and I'm partly responsible for it.

MH Senpai 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Jakensama -- first intelligent critic towards lebron that i read here. But still, when you compare this to jordan hitting his teamates or morally harrassing them , when you compare this to being an absolute ass who managed to put pregnant a teenager and abandonning her like malone did, ... so when you see the amount of bad deeds done by jordan or malone for examplr, I find people very hard towards lebron
    I didn't bring up other players, and indeed if you looked at the entire history of the nba/aba and at every superstar you could probably find a good deal more. However a big difference in your specific examples, is what Jordan did mostly happened behind closed doors, his public image when with the Bulls was almost spotless. The most persistent rumor was his gambling addiction. With Malone what came out was way after his career was done, and doesn't involve basketball. It does change many peoples' perception of him as an individual morally, but won't effect his basketball legacy.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jakensama View Post
    I didn't bring up other players, and indeed if you looked at the entire history of the nba/aba and at every superstar you could probably find a good deal more. However a big difference in your specific examples, is what Jordan did mostly happened behind closed doors, his public image when with the Bulls was almost spotless. The most persistent rumor was his gambling addiction. With Malone what came out was way after his career was done, and doesn't involve basketball. It does change many peoples' perception of him as an individual morally, but won't effect his basketball legacy.
    True but their luck before was to live in an era without internet. There was something unreal about them. When there was the dream team, they were more than players. They were unreachable half gods. It was easier for them to maintain a good & distant image. Nowadays players are observed in their daily activities. They no longer have a clear public and a clear private personality due to twitter, facebook, youtube ... And the worst is of course for the two players who represent the nba for years: LBJ & Kobe. They use the media & the media use them for the best & also for the worst. In the current era, I think that a lot of past stars would have been hated way more.

New Reply
Page 57 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast