Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The NBA Thread

Sheed has been playing at around the level he played for the Cs a couple of seasons ago before he retired. Perhaps even higher. His rebounding rates were great at some point. Didn't track him afterwards and he got injured.

So, this game against the Suns was a good practice to rest KG, start Jeff Green, warm up Crawford and Terrence Williams to the team. I'm excited to see Williams as a Celtic. Not so high about Crawford, but regardless, he came cheap for Collins and injured Barbosa.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tenacious Weezy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

With K-mart the Knicks now have 3 of the 5 players who were on the nuggets team that lost to the lakers in the western conf finals from 2010 (lakers won title) so the Knicks have a lot of experience and leadership. Still heat is the team to beat.

Any thoughts on the spurs and their chances? Seems like every year their tops but this year they look almost as good as anytime they've won.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Weezy View Post
    With K-mart the Knicks now have 3 of the 5 players who were on the nuggets team that lost to the lakers in the western conf finals from 2010 (lakers won title) so the Knicks have a lot of experience and leadership. Still heat is the team to beat.

Any thoughts on the spurs and their chances? Seems like every year their tops but this year they look almost as good as anytime they've won.
    For a team filled with veteran stars, the Spurs are doing a marvelous job in the regular season each year. It will come down to whether they have enough fire power to outlast the Clippers and the Thunder or so it seems right now.
    I think, provided they make it to the Finals, they have a more than decent chance to knock out the Heat.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree the spurs are heads and shoulders above practically everyone else when everyone is healthy. It's funny you mention OKC. Harden would have made the thunder unbeatable but they didn't want to lose him for nothing. Currently he is top ten in PER and he's easily the top SG under 30 although I think Paul George is closer than his stats appear. Imagine him with westbrook and durant still. They screwed themselves out of a ship this year but with jones and lamb they have a better long term projection. Miami really can't win more than 3 in a row before it all falls apart.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Harden was there the last season, too, and they were defeated. The problem is you can't expect Harden to be a 25 ppg scorer in a sixth man role, where Westbrook & Durant are the primary ball handlers. For me, I'd let go of Westbrook instead of giving him an overrated max contract and resign Harden and Ibaka.
    George is more versatile, but he isn't as good as a pure scorer. He has his own strengths, though. Still, lacking consistency when it comes to scoring. Partially because Indiana's offensive system this season went pretty much into a mess when Granger got injured. Hard to deny that the team has been doing a great job without him, anyway.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Harden was JUST coming into his own last season. The Olympic experience and his play in the first few games with Houston (and the season) has shown his tremendous growth from then til now. I remember that it was implied that Harden not playing well in the Finals was the reason Miami was able to sweep them after they dropped the first. I don't think they'd be Guaranteed to win it all this year but they would be able to hold on to the top seed in the west with more consistency. Westbrook didn't take the full max contract (Look-up Rose rule) so that it would be possible to sign Harden (and Ibaka). Obviously Harden wanted money over championships. I like Westbrook and Durant they are essentially a younger, less experienced version of James and Wade. Harden and Durant doesn't work as well because they both need room to operate. Westbrook shoots gaps and is a beast on breaks so that way the Thunder can attack you in multiple ways. Thats my take though.

On Indiana: Well they came out of left field. With Granger back they could be very scary for the Heat. George is one of like 3 players that can actually stick LeBron and still do his thing on Offense. Very rare and very necessary when the Play-offs come.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Harden was there the last season, too, and they were defeated. The problem is you can't expect Harden to be a 25 ppg scorer in a sixth man role, where Westbrook & Durant are the primary ball handlers. For me, I'd let go of Westbrook instead of giving him an overrated max contract and resign Harden and Ibaka.
    George is more versatile, but he isn't as good as a pure scorer. He has his own strengths, though. Still, lacking consistency when it comes to scoring. Partially because Indiana's offensive system this season went pretty much into a mess when Granger got injured. Hard to deny that the team has been doing a great job without him, anyway.
    I would have traded Westbrook and resigned Harden too. Harden is a better ball handler, but still Wesbrook's equal as a scorer. His on court decision making is typically better too. As a more willing passer, and superior play maker, Harden better complements Durant. Instead, they have two players who need the ball to excel. I liked OKC most when they let Harden initiate plays, and Westbrook played off the ball. He is devastating coming off screens, or slashing to the basket without the ball. Since John Wall came back they have turned into a really fun team to watch.

On that note, I'm pissed I had to miss Houston vs. Washington yesterday. The Wizards came back from a 17 point deficit to win. Don't sleep on DC. The Wizards aren't there yet, but we have a really nice core of players. One more lottery pick should be enough to put this team over the top.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 24, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said Westbrook took a pay cut and Harden wasn't going to. I'd rather have the self less player than the greedy one. Also Westbrook can still improve a lot more because he relies on his athleticism whereas Harden is very skill based (he is athletic though just not as explosive). Westbrook has been more consistent as a good player, he trains with D-Rose annually and has a competitive edge on par with Kobe and Wade. I like Harden but I think people put down Westbrook way too much. He has been all nba second team two years in a row. That means he's been the second best PG for the last two years. That's a really hard thing to do in this current PG crazy league.

John Wall lol, I think his draft position and his presumed potential came from PGs like Westbrook and Rose. He's a great athlete with great court vision but if you can't shoot it really brings his potential down. That's why Kyrie Irving has already leapfrogged him and why he'll never catch up Paul,Rose,etc. I do like Beal though he's really coming around right now but the Wizards are going to really hope they get good draft picks these next two years. I say two cause that's the wiggins/Parker sweepstakes lol

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheMoa's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

That's BS man. Harden will get in Houstoun the same aumont of money that Westbrook is getting in OKC.
    The Thunder wanted him to accept less than Westbrook and less than max money. Why should he accept that?
    Owners who want championships must be willing to pay the price for price for it, or at least be smart.
    I prefer Harden as a player than Westbrook and I think that calling him greedy is unfair.
    anyway.. here are their salaries

http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...es/rockets.jsp
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...es/thunder.jsp

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I would have traded Westbrook and resigned Harden too. Harden is a better ball handler, but still Wesbrook's equal as a scorer. His on court decision making is typically better too. As a more willing passer, and superior play maker, Harden better complements Durant. Instead, they have two players who need the ball to excel. I liked OKC most when they let Harden initiate plays, and Westbrook played off the ball. He is devastating coming off screens, or slashing to the basket without the ball. Since John Wall came back they have turned into a really fun team to watch.

On that note, I'm pissed I had to miss Houston vs. Washington yesterday. The Wizards came back from a 17 point deficit to win. Don't sleep on DC. The Wizards aren't there yet, but we have a really nice core of players. One more lottery pick should be enough to put this team over the top.
    That's right. As good as Kevin Martin has been as a filler for bench scoring, he is a lot more prone to getting shut down come play-off time. They will miss Harden in long term, no matter what happens, I'd say.

The Wizards have been a solid team on home court as of late. Their overall home record also is respectable for a lottery team right now. They can't really play out in the road yet, though.
    The Real Deal Bradley Beal has been living up to his nickname, but still, they could get something meaningful for Crawford, at least more than what Boston gave them, which is practically nothing.
    Tenacious is right. The Wizards need some good luck especially with the upcoming draft. Though, there isn't much for them out there to go for. They could hope to land Cody Zeller, a native, to bolster the frontcourt. He will be a hardly a rim protector, though, so, the Wizards are one of those teams that could roll the dice with the injured Noel. Regardless, this franchise needs to play it patient. Rebuilding from scratch isn't going to give the results right away.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoa View Post
    That's BS man. Harden will get in Houstoun the same aumont of money that Westbrook is getting in OKC.
    The Thunder wanted him to accept less than Westbrook and less than max money. Why should he accept that?
    Owners who want championships must be willing to pay the price for price for it, or at least be smart.
    I prefer Harden as a player than Westbrook and I think that calling him greedy is unfair.
    anyway.. here are their salaries

http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...es/rockets.jsp
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...es/thunder.jsp
    http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/1/19/2719871/russell-westbrook-signs-for-80m
    I made a comment about the "rose rule" before. Harden is a great player and all but until this year he hadn't proved he could be a focal point. He's doing great now but he could be the next T-Mac or the next Michael Redd. With the new CBA rules the league is changing. Next year it will be obvious if the trade deadline didn't give hints already (no major trades occurred).

Quick thought on wizards, it stinks to tank on purpose but if they drafted Noel and breezed through then the next year were able to get a top 3 pick that would be golden. Early predictions say that the 2014 draft will be somewhat like in '03 with lebron, wade, Anthony, and bosh.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the Wizards will be tanking the next season, as much as that could make sense. They will still try to get the best possible end record and get up a few rungs in the ladder.
    Besides, as you said, 2014 draft is really deep. Even if they ended up in a relatively disappointing lottery spot, they could still be getting a building block for the future.

---------- Post added February 28, 2013 at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was February 26, 2013 at 03:17 PM ----------

Meanwhile, Stephen Curry scored 54 points in MSG in a losing effort. He has scored 92 points in his last two games now, on 32-48 shooting (18-23 from behind the arc ).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I saw the game last night. I've never watched him play in the NBA just in college. I was very impressed he reminds me of a young Ray Allen but not so much dunking. I can definetly understand why people were mad he didn't make the All Star team.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

He is like him, but Ray was a lot more explosive in his youth. But his perimeter stroke is unbelievably soft. I don't doubt he is the best pure shooter in the league at this point.
    If Jeremy Lin is getting more votes than Steph Curry, those fans are high. Or biased.
    Or both

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blame China and Yao Ming for the Lin thing. I think Durant is a better shooter though, his game just isn't predicated on pulling up from 25 feet as much. I could say the same for Irving as well but obviously if Curry is hot he's as good as you'll see, he needs to stay healthy though and not fight 7'2 centers....geese that could have been so much worse.

New Reply
Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 ... LastLast