Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NBA thread

wtf!!? this playoffs is turning into a March Madness cinderella season! so many upsets, and potential upsets! Arrgghh, it's too bad I can't enjoy the playoffs since I'm having a shitload of midterms this week, so I only hear the scores and see the highlights.

Hopefully Mavs fight back, this can't be happening. Baron is my boy, but damn, don't ruin Dirk's illustrious season!

And the Heats? speechless. I disagree, if Wade and Shaq were healthy (especially Wade), this couldn't have happened. As good as the Bulls are, this isn't the same Heats team from a season ago. But, meh, too bad. Go get your surgery Wade, and get better soon!

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yoniekai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miyi View Post
    And the Heats? speechless. I disagree, if Wade and Shaq were healthy (especially Wade), this couldn't have happened. As good as the Bulls are, this isn't the same Heats team from a season ago. But, meh, too bad. Go get your surgery Wade, and get better soon!
    no way man, opening night? remember that, 40 point deficit? wade and shaq and all of them were in champion mode and still got blown! it's not that the heat is a bad team, they beat out a lot of great teams, but the bulls "just had their number", quote shaq.
    `(•.°)~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually didn't see the game, so I have no basis for analysis. Although after hearing about the 40 point deficit, I'm not gonna make any excuses. Injury or no injury, that is simply unacceptable. Props to the Bulls, I hope they do well. I really like Heinrick, Gordon and Chandler. Chandler went to a school in Compton (I went to school in that neighborhood, btw). And Wallace is a veteran, so they're not totally lacking in experience. So the Bulls will only get better from here on, this isn't a fluke by any means.

Oh yeah, did anyone notice Jason Kidd is averaging a triple double in the playoffs?

Again, all we ever notice is Nash Nash Nash.
    Last edited by miyi; April 30, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Nonono, if you want in-game analysis what you need to understand that the playoffs are no longer about defense, they are now about speed, fastbreaks and outrunning your opponent throughout the whole game.

This is why sports analysts are giving GS the win over Dallas, I mean dallas had SO MANY F$#^$ rebounds last night, it is IMPOSSIBLE with that many ball possessions to lose, and yet when you are outrun and outscored you are.

What's happening now is Slow Offense < Defense < Speed
    And we'll find out if Speed beats out slow and strong offense or not when GS faces the rest of the west (although Rockets and Nuggets are fairly balanced defensively/offensively, and Pheonix is relatively fast offensively, at least faster than lakers/heat) and Bulls take on the rest of the east (Nets and Cavs both being fairly slow offensively, yet super strong offenses). Because if it does, Barbossa, GS and the Bulls roster will be high ball trades next season.

Quote Quote:
    Oh yeah, did anyone notice Jason Kidd is averaging a triple double in the playoffs?

Again, all we ever notice is Nash Nash Nash.
    Lies, I noticed but Nash as far as i can tell purposely did not beat Magics record while he was watching. He had 23 assists with 6 minutes to play, all he needed was 3 more. Either he didn't know or he didn't want to do it in front of magic who holds the record for 25.

So you can say Triple Doubles and compare the guy to Bird, but Nash is pulling Magic numbers =p

Congrats to the Cavs who didn't really even try (or have to I suppose with half a team =/).

Anyway, I've figured out how Rockets work.
    If Tracy plays PG and Yao gets rebounds, they win, if Tracy has a low amount of assists they lose. 7 games Rockets, call it the home court playoffs.
    However this means they'll prob be tired for the next round. We'll see who wins between spurs/nuggets and we'll see if it'll be enough.
    Last edited by Lohnt; April 30, 2007 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yes you're right, tmac should play point guard AND go to the hoop a lot. he draws so many fouls that way, kinda slows down the pace for the jazz, as the jazz can be deadly fast if given the chance! afterwards the rockets have a good bout against the nuggets or spurs.

im looking forward to lebron's game. shit im still mesmerized at how sensational the 2003 class was. lebron, wade, carmelo, bosh, hinrich, tj ford, boris diaw, josh howard, and korver, kaman, ridnour, david west! this class has got to be the linchpin of the new generation
    `(•.°)~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

about Nash and Kidd, the difference is that Nash has so many guys on his team that can shoot, and when you have a big guy like Amare that controlls the paint, this translates to more Suns offense, more chance for Nash to distribute, etc. etc.

You have to admit, Nash's job is relatively easier compared to other point guards because his guys are easy to work with, can put the ball in the basket, and overall, each player knows how to pass the ball. You have at least 5 - 6 point guards on that team if you think about it.

Kidd is the quintissential all around basketball player, and he is posting up triple doubles in a playoff series, in which his players aren't anywhere as good as Nash's teammates are.

It's more lika a comparison with Oscar Robertson = Kidd, and Nash = Magic.

I'm not suggesting Nash doesn't deserve the spotlight, but damn does anyone notice Kidd at all?

About incoming freshmen class:

this year, it will be strong as well: Oden and Kevin Durant.

Next season it will also be good: O.J. Mayo and Kevin Love

This new generation is loaded with talent, and not only happening in the U.S., but all over the world.

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Say wha wha wha what????

Vince Carter, Jefferson, Kristic and House not as good if not BETTER than the suns supporting cast??

Like I've said before, Kidd is great, he's the guy that gets triple doubles, he's an OVERALL allstar, but in terms of PG's, Nash is the one specializing and succeeding better than everyone else in the position in the NBA right now. Did you not see those passes he made during the last Lakers game? He made the ball bounce in weird angles, he'd pass it an inch from the opponents head, and he'd do it all without looking.

Kidd or Vince need to be traded though, I don't think they work as well together as the numbers say. I think even if one of them is missing from the equation, the other one picks up the slack, whereas Jefferson seems to be the winning factor (when he plays great, they can beat any team, when he doesn't they tend to lose even if they've played great).

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

the nets could've been hell lot stronger if kristic was here. i mean the guy was headed for all stardom until he got injured. what a terrible waste.

kevin durant is cool. a pretty cocky and ambitious kid, fiercely competitive, im looking forward to his nba days

and yeah, nash and kidd are the two best point guards currently in the game now. remember the phoenix-new jersey that lasted three OTs, where the total score was about 300 pts?? it was kidd and nash's battles, with kidd 30+ pts and 15 assists and nash 40+ and the same assists. that and the dallas-phoenix game that lasted two OTs is the greatest games this season

oh you have got to be kidding me, at first it was a 20 point dallas lead and now it's done to THREE! omg this is my favorite series this year! im on my feet, i cant believe what an awesome team GS is!
    Last edited by yoniekai; May 01, 2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    `(•.°)~

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea that triple OT game is one for the replay books like they continually show Jordan vs Bird matches on sports channels.

I'm dissapointed by GS, although if my original picks for west turn out right I'll be happy. I'd still love for Dallas, Suns, Rockets and Nuggets but realistically I'm seeing suns, GS, Spurs and still undecided on R/J we'll see how no1 does next game.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeow the GS-DAL series is the most unpredictable game i've seen. i mean GS down by 20 then led by 9, and then DAL went back to get the lead, oh man, go warriors go!!!

and man, tmac is the most important player in the houston series now. yao is still consistent, and still dominating, but if mcgrady cant, houston cant
    `(•.°)~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by refii View Post
    Say wha wha wha what????

Vince Carter, Jefferson, Kristic and House not as good if not BETTER than the suns supporting cast??

Like I've said before, Kidd is great, he's the guy that gets triple doubles, he's an OVERALL allstar, but in terms of PG's, Nash is the one specializing and succeeding better than everyone else in the position in the NBA right now. Did you not see those passes he made during the last Lakers game? He made the ball bounce in weird angles, he'd pass it an inch from the opponents head, and he'd do it all without looking.
    [1] Please don't tell me the Nets are "as good if not BETTER than the suns supporting cast".

First, a comparison between the teams:

the Phoenix is a 61-21 team, whereas the Nets is a 41-41 team. The Suns play in a tougher West Conference, the Nets in a less tougher East Conference.

Phoenix is about 7-8 man deep, whereas NJ is a 6-man-deep, at best.

Eddie House? He's not even nearly as good as Phoenix bench player, Leandro Barbossa.

[2]"Did you not see those passes [Nash] made during the last Lakers game? He made the ball bounce in weird angles, he'd pass it an inch from the opponents head, and he'd do it all without looking."

Nash can throw "fancy passes"? Yes.
    Kidd can throw "fancy passes"? Yes.

Kidd has been doing "fancy passes" long before Nash became popular.

You are missing the point I am making here: Kidd is underrated, and Nash is overrated. They're both great point guards, no question about it.

Oh, and let's not forget about Baron Davis, this guy has been under the radar as far as point guards go, due to his injuries. There was a season while he was playing for Charlotte, and he was projected to be the MVP. However, after the All Star break he suffered a season-ending injury. So it's no surprise that he's playing so well.

Venom65437

I have to say this... first I think Dallas only earned a stay of execution last night. GS lost that game more than Dallas won it, IMO.

Second, Nash is not overrated. It isn't his fault he plays with overall better players, but the Suns just don't play as well when he isn't there.

I mean, if Nash is overrated and has an inflated performance because of his supporting cast, how overrated is Magic and Bird? Half of their teams are in the hall!

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I really did want Nuggets to win.. guess the only surprise will be GS this year...

Cmon Kobe, don't let the night be a total waste, extend the series a bit longer =(

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

me too. i was looking for AI and melo versus the warriors or rockets. oh man the spurs are so boring i see the same lineup the same plays the same old team every year... and they're still strong. yeow

obviously lakers cant beat the suns' teamwork with their own teamwork so yeah, if i were the coach leave the offense to kobe and the defense to the rest of the guys. put on a 50 or 60 performance, no team in the nba has ever relaxed with kobe playing that way

@nash magic and bird: just goes to show why these guys get the MVP. not only they make their teammates better, they make them A HELL lot better
    `(•.°)~

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's not joke about Magic or Bird though. I can understand bashing/hating on Nash, but Bird and Magic were part of the dream team.

And that in itself is no joke, every single member of the 92 dream team was a godly basketball player that graced the earth in their own time. So aside for what they did for their teams, let's also consider that they deserve MVP's just for playing the damn sport.

New Reply
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast