Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Thread

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yoniekai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NBA thread

yo i agree. that team was like the kyuubi, the one piece, the king of bleach

lakers are going down. there goes another season... what a breakaway season this was for kobe i must say tho. five 50 point performances in 6 games where the four is a streak and the other game was a 40+? this guy is really the best scorer in history, more than michael. but he cant carry on a team, hence get the mvp
    `(•.°)~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't bashing on Nash, and I'm not faulting him for having good teammates. I'm just saying it's not fair that he always gets the attention when there are other great point guards, such as Kidd, Baron Davis, and Chauncey Billups. I am pointing out what Kidd has accomplished in the playoffs this series just to show how awesome he is, in case nobody ever noticed. My mistake for saying Nash is overrated, he is slightly overrated, but not quite. Although kissing his biceps was a little too cocky for my taste.

I agree with Mavs luckily staving off elimination. If anything, GS let it slip away. Honestly I think GS is playing the best playoff basketball right now, hopefully this isn't just a fluke and I hope they go deep in this playoffs.

I'm honestly disappointed with Dirk, and I feel somewhat embarassed because all this time I've been in support of Dirk getting that MVP, but so far, he hasn't lived up to that hype.

Lakers lost, I'm not surprised. The suns are just too good, they might go all the way. The funny thing is, they haven't played their best basketball yet. Too many screw-ups.

About Magic and Bird, I was a big fan of Magic. I'd have to say Nash is the closest comparison to Magic. The only difference between the showtime Lakers and this phoenix suns, is that the Lakers played defense, plus Amare isn't quite as good as Kareem. A few tweaks here and there, i.e. improvement in defense, this phoenix suns team has potential to be just as good. Having said that, there are also so many teams on the rise, as of late. Golden State and Chicago are two of those examples, so watch out for these teams in the future. If Baron stays healthy, they'd be a dominant force in the West within a few years.

The Spurs has been a staple Championship caliber team in the past 5-6 years, although I'm starting to doubt if they have enough gas in them. Duncan is getting old, and Parker may never improve drastically than what he already is. But this isn't yet an issue, and Spurs is still good. I'm excited about the Spurs-Suns matchup, which might extend to game 7.

Oh, sidenote:

Kobe received the All NBA defensive first team selection, his seventh time in his career. So in case anyone ever doubted his defense, this is proof that he's a great defensive player.

Other players who made it:
    Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Marcus Camby, and Raja Bell.
    Last edited by miyi; May 03, 2007 at 01:09 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but kobe should focus on one thing, being defensive and offensive at the same time is a tiring effort. what a waste. you know the lakers win if kobe gets hot. but maybe the suns did their all to shut down the ultimate scorer.

spurs and suns. my god. the spurs are the WORST matchup for the suns. no more fastbreaks, no more hyper moves no more fast tempo. this is too one sided, wonder what the suns will do to counter the spurs. the spurs beat the suns all season didnt they?
    `(•.°)~

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Ginobli gets injured or something so that Suns advance. Spurs, Bowen and Duncan in particular play waaaaaaay too much D on the Suns for the Suns to be successful.

I really would prefer to see the Suns (despite not being the biggest fan) over the Spurs.
    For one thing, it'll be more interesting to see the Suns vs GS/Rockets/Jazz than Spurs and for another, I somehow doubt Spurs even stand a chance against Bulls/Detroit who are younger and faster than them despite being MORE defensive and thus better.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHAHA!!!! BIGGEST UPSET!!! oh man that must feel really bad, winning 67 games and yet losing badly in the first round of the playoffs. what a HUGE upset. baron davis is the MVP! dude...

the rockets-jazz are annoying. cmon winning at homecourt that's kinda weak... it's like homecourt advantages determine the winner... ill be really dissapointed if the rockets lose than the jazz lose tho. i want the rockets and the warriors, either team wins fine with me, against the suns in the finals!
    `(•.°)~

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oh wow, what a blowout! I forgot who it was who made an analysis about the modern nba teams:

defense < suns-paced offense < GS organized chaos fast paced offense

or something to that effect.

I agree, it seems like old school defensive type basketball is no longer effective, and between Golden State type of offense vs. Suns type of offense, GS has the edge right now. What it boils down to is, which team consists of better players? So I'm hyped for GS to advance to the conference Finals (hoping they defeat either the Jazz or Rockets). But with more experience, I think the Suns will hold out against Golden State, because it's unlikely they will choke in the same way as the Mavs.

Assuming it's Suns vs. GS, Suns has the edge on offense, whereas GS has the edge on defense. My gut instinct tells me that the Suns will play absolutely no defense, and rely only on their offense. Amare will defer to his teammates as a scorer, and instead will become a rebounder for his teammates. It will be a slash and dish, perimeter type of Suns offense. Meanwhile, GS will do the same thing they've been doing, except Baron Davis won't be as effective as in the Mavs series, due to his hamstring injury, and Stephen Jackson won't be as hot as before. As a domino effect, the whole GS team won't shoot as high a percentage as they did in the Mavs series.

Suns has more depth, and D'Antonni will play every guy on his roster to keep fresh legs on the court, and GS aren't as deep on the bench, and it will be a close series, but I think Suns wins in 6 games.

I honestly can't imagine GS losing to the Rockets or Jazz.

And as good as the Spurs are, I think the Suns are better. Amare can match up well against old Duncan. Just three seasons ago in the playoffs, I remember when Amare blocked Duncan in a critical moment that cost Spurs the game. And Raja Bell and Bruce Bowen will likely cancel each other out. This will be a test, to see whether the Suns is not just a full court offense, but also a half court offense. With Amare and Marion working inside the paint, they won't have a problem adjusting to the Spurs slowing-down tempo. Overall, the Spurs will be unable to slow down the game, and instead switch to a Suns-type of offense, where Ginobli and Parker will try desperately to keep up with the fast guys on Phoenix. Barbosa will exploit Spurs' defense. I think Suns will win in 6 games.

oh, and about Dirk getting that MVP nod, that will be too awkward. I think Nash ought to win it by default. Dirk, you've had a phenomenal regular season, but your playoff performance sucked. And I'm a big fan. GS, unfortunately, made you obsolete.
    Last edited by miyi; May 04, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yup. in just two hours of basketball the mvp trophy went down dirk's drain... into nash! haha omg i never thought that after jordan the nba records would be closed.... but it's one record after the other! one historic phenomenon after another historic phenomenon! and next season, the suns are most likely to be playing the same rhythm and so is nash's mvp streak!

i cant blame dallas. if they didnt meet GS. yes. if they just didnt meet GS oh man none of this would happen. they'd easily cruise through the other teams but not GS.
    `(•.°)~

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind seeing Ben Wallace or Chauncey Billups getting the MVP this year to be honest.. I love Nash but the west doesn't really... I don't want to say deserve it but, that's the how I feel.

Venom65437

Well, Golden State just kicked Dallas ass. I didn't see much of the game since I was watching Spidey, but I didn't miss much. Looks like Dirk is a joke in the playoffs.

History will look on this as perhaps the biggest upset in NBA history, but Charles Barkley mentioned this and I agree. If you saw this, you know the better team won. Think about it, Golden State went 8-2 against Dallas this year. They completely own them.

And by the way, MVP voting was done a while ago. Dirk will probably win it... but what's it matter now.

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

This sucks, this really really sucks.

The suspense of the Houston/Jazz game is killing me I don't know what will happen. All I know is that I want Van Gundy to get fired which I guess won't happen if they advance to the west's finals (I don't know if Rockets can beat GS but I don't doubt they can if they finally defeat Jazz.

What pisses me off is that Tracy has to be every f@#%# player on the court.
    Last game he was center/foward with 10 rebounds and 26 points, Yao had 6 rebounds
    Game before that he had 16 assists and 20 some odd points
    and so on.

The team is not working well together, and this team has not really changed this whole time. Why did they trade away Rudy Gay from the draft? He's had a great season, they could have used him. Why is the bench expected to perform when they barely get any minutes anyway. Van Gundy can't freaking coach and it pisses me off.

Worst thing is I can't even say Jazz isn't playing, because Kirilenko is making Tracy's job a lot harder the way he gaurds him. But Tracy still manages to get 20+ points and the top assists/rebounds per game which just goes to show how incredible he is.

AARG I really hate this. And the sad thing is, I can see Nets losing to Cavaliers because the Cavs haven't played since April and are rested up while Nets have had to play so many games in May already, not that I expect Cavs to really beat Detroit/Bulls but still it's gonna piss me off if they fluke into the finals.
    And I can imagine the same thing happening with GS which is gonna be rested up and taking on a tired Jazz/Rockets team. Not that GS isn't a great team for eliminating the Mav's but hey, the Mavs apparently had one weakness this season and it was them.

Lastly.. I really hope Ginobli/Duncan gets injured and they don't beat Suns..
    These playoffs piss me off now =/ It was fine up to this point, but I have a feeling a LOT of teams I don't feel deserve to, will make it to their conference finals because the other team will be tired: Namely Cavs and Spurs.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eaballer10's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by refii View Post
    I really hope Ginobli gets injured or something so that Suns advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by refii View Post
    Lastly.. I really hope Ginobli/Duncan gets injured and they don't beat Suns..
    These playoffs piss me off now =/ It was fine up to this point, but I have a feeling a LOT of teams I don't feel deserve to, will make it to their conference finals because the other team will be tired: Namely Cavs and Spurs.
    That's so unsportsman like. No offense, but you MUST not play basketball. Or at least not organized ball.

That's just like the first game of Lakers/Suns (@Suns) when Kobe fell and hurt his ankle. Everyone started to cheer. That's like, evil. Why don't you just hope your team outplays the other team? The best players hope their opponents are at their best and full strength. Nothing feels as good as good competition, and winning when your opponents could not do anything to stop you.

But I guess I can kinda understand why you think that way.. (you are probably from Phoenix, j/k ). For way too many reasons to list, the Suns have no chance at beating the Spurs. Or should I say, they have about as much of a chance as the Lakers had at beating the Suns. I mean, I'm a huge Lakers fan, but we have to face reality sometimes.

The Spurs are going to destroy the Suns.
    Last edited by eaballer10; May 04, 2007 at 05:32 PM.

Check out Urakai.com now! Kekkaishi is one of the best Shōnen manga out there!!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

eaballer10, I agree with you on the sportsmanship stuff. As a competitor, I'd prefer my opponent to be at his/her best, otherwise it would be meaningless. And to "wish" that someone is "injured" is not very nice at all.

I disagree about Suns vs. Spurs. I actually think the Suns is overall a better team than the Spurs. They have more depth, they have Amare and Marion in the paint to neutralize Duncan, Raja Bell to neutralize Bruce Bowen or Ginobli (whichever is the matchup, it doesn't matter), Nash has an edge over Parker, and Barbossa (who I think will be paired up against Ginobli), has the slight edge because he's quicker. In sum, every starting player is pretty even against each other, but with the Suns' depth and speed, it will be unlikely for the Spurs to force a slow tempo kind of game. The Suns are a younger, more energetic team, whereas the Spurs are slower and older.

Now, I'm not saying that the Spurs lack depth, because they are one of the deepest team in the league. However, I think the Suns are somewhat deeper than the Spurs this year, and this will be critical.

I do think the Suns has a shot at winning against the Spurs. They have almost identical records, and are both in the same West Conference.

I pick the Suns in game 6.

And this is coming from a guy who despises the Suns, and is a big loyal Lakers fan.

P.S. Whoever said Baron Davis for MVP...I agree. That guy is a monster. Steve Nash with an attitude (actually, I think he's better than Nash if he's completely healthy).

Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to play basketball in high school, in NY not on my schools team, but during tournaments against my schools team during PE.

I was a foward, defensive genius (I'd always play the top scorer) and 3pt impossible behind the line shot maker. It was never enough.

What sucked when I used to play basketball was that I was never a captain so I couldn't choose my team, but I was still expected to make sure my team won.
    I sympathize with Suns/Tracy Mcgrady. Both teams are expected to win despite not having all the resources the team could possibly provide them.

Nash could have a much MUCH better team after the past 2 seasons of being voted MVP. All the suns had to do was trade either Stoudamire or Bell and they could have gotten a great trade like Kidd or Garnett, but no they were greedy.

Tracy likewise has a SHITFU@#^$#@$^#$ coach that refuses to let the team help Tracy out. It is a 3 man show with Yao (most of the time) and Alston (sometimes) yet regardless of who is at fault, Tracy gets the blame as the most passionate player.

This is why I hope the others get injured.
    Now, honestly, when you get to my age (which isn't that old, 21) and have put sports behind you and are an avid fan at this point you realize, people should take every advantage they can get. And injuries are part of that advantage, this is especially true in soccer where you'll see ASSHOLE PAYED OFF ENVELOPE CHECK REF's not give red cards to fucking murderers that put players out of commision for 5 weeks.

So I don't mind what you call "cheating" so much anymore, as long as i get a better show. And quite honestly, it will be a better show if Cavs don't make it to the finals and if Spurs let the Suns win. It's all part of the game, if it wasn't they wouldn't make a rule for it. Gotta think strategically, not "morally" this isn't King Arthur's court (and let's not start on why that's ironic in itself)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

nope, in NBA, they have rules specifically against purposely injuring players for strategy. That is not only punishable by fine, but can likely lead to either a mild suspension, depending on the seriousness of the offense, or a possible ban from the league.

Ok, don't quote me on that, because I'm too lazy to look up the NBA rules, but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed. NBA isn't the same thing as street ball, where that type of thing occurs on a normal basis.

About Nash not having good players around him...are you kidding me? With no disrespect, I advise you to look at the Suns roster, and refer to their individual stats.

Marion, Amare, Barbossa (who is a bench player, btw), Bell and Nash are all averaging double digits in scoring. Out of that squad, Marion, Amare and Nash participated in this year's All Stars. I'm not sure about Barbossa or Bell, although I doubt it.

Nash doesn't need any improvements on his team, because he already has good teammates. Making unnecessary trades for players, such as Garnett or Kidd, would in fact be considered "greedy".

And besides, Garnett has already expressed adamantly that he intends to honor and complete his multimillion dollar contract with Minnesota.

And I don't understand why the Suns would need another point guard, when they already have Nash. Why would you want to acquire Kidd, and replace your 2-time MVP?
    Last edited by miyi; May 04, 2007 at 07:01 PM.

Venom65437

First of all, wishing for someone else's players to get hurt is a good way to see your team go down with rolled ankles.

And I don't agree that teams who could make the finals don't "deserve" it. If they win, they earned it, they deserved it. The other team had a longer series and couldn't get as much rest? Boo hoo. The reward for taking care of buisness is days off.

New Reply
Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast