Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Thread

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Players sue the NBA

They've already changed the ball, I believe. "You can take anything else from us but don't take our ball away from us," heh. Guess that project backfired on Stern.

Venom65437

Re: Players sue the NBA

Yes they have. Old ball is back Jan. 1.

Venom65437

Re: Allen Iverson wants to be traded!

Yea, I'll go ahead and do it now...

Venom65437

NBA thread

Just making a thread to talk some NBA ball... I'll be here a lot.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NBA thread

Phoenix Suns! man they had nice long 15 game winning streak going but snapped by the Washington Wizards. Steve Nash is just amazing he just is so clutch and it seems for me that he does whats necessary whenever the team needs him to come through whether its a big assist or a clutch shot. His on pace for a third MVP but I'm not sure if that will happen but he certainly deserves it again. Man that high scoring double OT thriller against the New Jersey Nets was an amazing game Jason Kidd Vs Steve Nash, and Nash made that huge clutch three to tie the game and send it to OT then Suns won in double OT. Tonight was also a great game against Dallas but they lost although it was down to the wire and they lost 101-99 because Dirk nailed a jumper with 1.3 seconds left.

I also got to talk about Gilbert Arenas his just playing out of his mind right now probably a lock for player of the month award. He scored 54 points against the Suns to snap their streak and also beat the Kobe and the Lakers in OT when he scored a career high 60 points.

Allen Iverson one of my favorite players have been doing good so far with Denver he got like two double-doubles already i think like 20+ points 10+
    assists. He and Earl Boykins might be the smallest backcourt right now but they are scoring a lot! Love Earl and his determination only 5'5 but still can score a lot like he scored 28 points just the last game. I hope that when Carmelo gets back that he and A.I can get along and share the ball and have a great dynamic scoring duo.
    BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

My first fav team was the Sacramento Kings that made it to the finals and almost beat the Lakers. I'm not sure why, but the fact that the entire team kicked ass impressed me. Even more impressing was the fact that they could play defense, I didn't really watch much basketball before but that really got me hooked since I used to play very defensively myself. Also Webber was the very FIRST captain of a basketball team that actually acted like a captain. He had his eyes all over the court, and honestly stole the ball when the rest of his team had already retreated. If there was ever a captain worthy of the title not based on stats, but on achievement it was him.

Currently I'm a Rockets fan; I've liked Tracy McGrady since he was drafted, and I just personally feel he's the best foward in the NBA regardless of stats. Unfortunately he's never healthy.
    And of course it doesn't hurt that one of my national teams stars is playing for the rockets (Go Spanoulis! Keep that bench warm dude!) even if his stats do NOT reflect his ability.. I have no idea why he crashed and burned so badly in the NBA. I mean this kid was red hot just this summer with solid stats all around and high scoring every game. W/e though.

My current favorite player is Theodoris Papaloukas.. who doesn't play for the NBA, but he easily could since he's the best point gaurd in the game today (screw you Nash) he's also given up offers to play.
    Other favorite players include: Doug Christy, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Tracy McGrady and in last years NCAA Mike Gansy and Kevin Pitsnoggle, both of whom did not get contracts unfortunately..

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite team used to be the Chicago Bulls. But that was back in the Michael Jordan days.

At the time I was watching the Bulls, though, I had a best friend who was an avid fan of Shaq O'Neal, who was at the time playing for the Orlando Magic. So I'd either be watching the Bulls or the Magic - and especially games with both playing against each other.

Eventually of course Michael Jordan retired from the Bulls, and even though he came back to play for the Washington Wizards, I wasn't interested in following him anymore, I guess, because I felt he was too old to win a championship anymore - and especially not without a solid supporting cast like what he had in Chicago. When he left the Bulls I decided to stop watching NBA but when I heard Coach Phil Jackson went to the L.A. Lakers, AND Shaq went there, I couldn't help but be curious and followed the Lakers for quite a few years. They didn't disappoint, even despite Shaq's bickering with Kobe Bryant.

I probably WOULD have stayed a Lakers fan - if it hadn't been for the Kobe Bryant scandal. Hearing so much about that fiasco put me off the Lakers, especially when Shaq left, and Kobe stayed. And if you weren't a Kobe fan, there's no way you can be a Lakers fan, 'cause he's their main man now.

So now I'm kinda without a NBA team and I'm just watching NBA games randomly. :/

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is one of my sport back in highschool and college. While most people are fans of MJ and Chicago Bulls, my team was always Phoenix Suns and their player Sir Charles (Barkley). I even spent all my money that i got from teaching english to get an Air Max. But a pair of shoes can't do nothing about my skill on the court.
    Another player that I like is Hakeem Olajuwon. Not only for his awesome blocks, rebound and tenacity, he also practice fasting during the holy month of Ramadhan.

How many more years do you guys think before another player like Michael Jordan made his mark on the court again?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably never. There was no one like Michael Jordan and I don't think there will ever be again.

Even if somebody gets better statistics than MJ I don't think it would encompass the entire scope of excitement and leadership he brought to the Bulls. If there was ever an ultimate "Mr. Excitement," MJ was the guy.

By the way, ichimaru, I met Barkley, heh. He was cool. He had come to UT (University of Tennessee) for a football game between the Vols and his alma mater (the Auburn Tigers) and I just happened to run into him at a restaurant before the game. He's bigger than he looks on TV even.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Ichimaru Gin n Tonic's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Probably never. There was no one like Michael Jordan and I don't think there will ever be again.

Even if somebody gets better statistics than MJ I don't think it would encompass the entire scope of excitement and leadership he brought to the Bulls. If there was ever an ultimate "Mr. Excitement," MJ was the guy.
    Yeah, guys like that are Godsend. Unless they can clone him and his skill, the chance of seeing another player like that is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    By the way, ichimaru, I met Barkley, heh. He was cool. He had come to UT (University of Tennessee) for a football game between the Vols and his alma mater (the Auburn Tigers) and I just happened to run into him at a restaurant before the game. He's bigger than he looks on TV even.
    That makes you the second person to say that to me. My cousin lives in LA, he met Barkley and Hakeem after their game against the Lakers. Now i'm definitely jealous.

Venom65437

My favorite team is, was, and always will be the Chicago Bulls!

By the way... Except for points per game, MJ isn't number 1 statistically in ANY category.

Anyway, I'm glad the NBA is in full swing, we're looking pretty good now that we've figured out how to play with Big Ben, I'm excited!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lohnt's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Jordan is.. and I apologize because I can only explain this in RPG terms.. he was a warrior, he could take the whole team on his shoulders and lead them all the way through the finals. And I'm not downplaying his achievements, he was the greatest warrior there ever was.

But Kobe isn't a warrior, he's like a rogue; his achievments of 80 points proved just that in my opinion. Kobe is the best player at scoring points when the team needs them I've ever seen. And that is without a team, Jordan on the other hand had a pretty good team when he was winning championships, but his main feature was that he could win games, it wasn't about scoring with him (in my opinion).

Dwayne Wayde is a mix of Kobe and Jordan, but he's leaning more towards Kobe, because I see him as the next Allen Iverson, not the next Jordan (minus ego). Carmelo Anthony is the only player I see as having MJ potential, but he has an ego that will forever block him from such an achievement. And I think Lebron James is going to be something along the liens of Kareem Abdul, but not Jordan, where he will still wow us with his achievements, but he won't win as many championships doing so.

I think the days of Jordan are over, Eastern Basketball has affected the NBA too much, teams focus on defense and team responsibility, instead of star power. So even if someone did have the abilities of Jordan, he will never get to show them off because the game has changed too much.
    On the other hand, centers seem to be making a comeback as the hot commodity, like way back when. With guys like Yao Ming and Nowitzky I can't wait to see how these guys that are incredibly dominant and talented change basketball in the future.

Venom65437

I have to disagree that star power isn't in the mentality of NBA players nowadays. Hell I think most players think they ARE super stars. I agree that working more as a team and working on defense is more of a priority, but when we were winning 6 in 8 years, Da' Bulls were one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. (Michael, Scottie, and Rodman all made All NBA defensive teams several times. Even defensive player of the year!) And Phil Jackson got them to play as a team with the triangle offense.

While all those things are more widespread nowadays, the champions always displayed those attributes, IMO.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Allen Iverson recorded his third consecutive double-double 44 points 10 assists last night against the Sonics!

Just posting the Rankings links.

NBA Power Rankings
    NBA Player Rankings
    NBA Rookies Rankings

Also check out Gilbert Arenas blog one of the hottest scorers now and probably a lock for player of the month award.

"Kobe tried to stick me"
    Gilbert Arenas Blog
    BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Luckas's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious, what does people think about Andrea Bargnani in USA?

Unconsciousness is my destiny, my joy but also my desperation.

New Reply
Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast