Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The HipHop Thread

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The HipHop Thread

Let's be clear about one thing, first and foremost, just to clarify. Hip Hop is the culture of which rap is a piece of. Rap is the actual act of spittin rhymes on a beat.

Having been born and raised in the home of Hip Hop (the Bronx, all be it the northwest bronx), I was constantly bombarded by rap. It wasnt until seventh grade (i am a freshman in college now) that i started listening. The first, and to be honest only, album i bought was sisqo's unleash the dragon... Luckily for me, my tastes have since improved. Let me list some of the artists on my top rated list on itunes:
    2Pac (of course)
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kweli make a good team. They need to get another album out!)
    Dr. Dre (The Chronic being one of the best rap albums ever along side with Straight Outta Compton)
    Nas (Hip Hop is Dead is pure fire, basically)
    Notorious Big (nuff said)
    NWA (only with Ice Cube. Their follow up to Straight outta compton, without Ice Cube was garbage, imo)
    Mac Dre (straight out of the bay (San Fransisco and Oakland in cali. He is some good stuff if you like your rap with some out of the norm beats and not too serious lyrics. The bay sound is way different than anything in La or in the east, which is why i like it so much)
    Snoop Dogg (he still can spit with the best of them)
    Mos Def
    Talib Kweli (gotta list these guys individually)
    Too $hort (a real OG. He was in GTA: San Andreas, to give you guys some perspective, with the song 'The Ghetto')

Some stuff i dont like is Dip Set because they all are trash. Most stuff from the south especially Lil' Wayne. I like my music to be mostly about storytelling and lyrics with a strong beat which most of the above are about in some way or another, with their own twist. My favorite kind of club rap has to be hyphy music. (look on urbandictionary.com for the best definition)

Anyone else a fan of any kind of rap or hip hop?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member manu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hip Hop/Rap fans here?

I listen to it, I haven't bought any music but I download songs I like. All time favorite that I love would probably be Afroman's Colt 45. A nice link to the song here

http://profile.imeem.com/XXwZu/music/qAdTF7wE/colt_45/

Well I live in Seattle Washington, so no great rappers from here. Current faves though would have to be Lil' Jon and Akon. About your south comment Neo I think you shouldn't forget thats where Ludacris comes from.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

to be honest, there are SOME good rappers out of the south, but not as much as from the east or the west. Most of the southern music is too club oriented with nothing to say for my tastes.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member blasta's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been listening to the new stuff from rap/hip hop for awhile now just think its going downhill but I still listen to new songs and albums by my favorites like Eminem, Nasty Nas etc. I only really listen to old stuff like most people you have on your list especially 2pac, Nasty Nas, Dre, and Biggie. I also really like Eminem, Jay-Z, Xzibit, Rakim, KRS-One, Naughty by Nature, Wu-Tang Clan, and some others I can't remember right now.
    BoH!
    Thank you to yFANTgirl.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, hell yea i love hip hop. but "kinda" a fan of rap. yes, im black, but rap just doesnt appeal to me. as in no real good meaning to its songs. i also love R&B. but thats getting off topic. but no matter wat other artist come out, none of them can beat 2pac or Biggie IMO
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuck, how did i forget the Wu-tang clan. They are always good. 36 chambers is also one of the legendary albums. I liked eninem, until his last album because of how bad it was. Jay-z should have stayed retired because his newest album is pretty bad. However, ill give him his due, he made it pretty big from brooklyn.

The rap game has gotten worse and worse which is why the majority of my stuff is from the 90s. I still have so much to check out though, you named some of the artists i have been meaning to listen to in depth to like KRS-One and Rakim.

Quote Originally Posted by 九尾写輪眼
    lol, hell yea i love hip hop. but "kinda" a fan of rap. yes, im black, but rap just doesnt appeal to me. as in no real good meaning to its songs. i also love R&B. but thats getting off topic. but no matter wat other artist come out, none of them can beat 2pac or Biggie IMO
    You need to listen to some of the more substantial artists then. A Tribe called Quest, The Roots, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and a bunch of others because they say something in their lyrics. I hate rap that doesnt have something to say or that doesnt tell a good story, most of the time at least. Biggie and 2pac where at their best when they have something to (Big Poppa, Dear Mama, Juicy, Changes, etc. are some good examples)

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only words I have to say: Jim Jones "We Fly High"

Pure Love <3

XD That's about the only rap song I like, and it's only because the Ballin' part is so cool XD Though I do like "Shake" by the Ying Yang Twins. I don't always understand/like the words, but the beats are great

Though, on my ipod I do have 50 Cent, Chris Brow, Jim Jones, Jules Santana, Kanye West, Nelly, and Ying Yang Twins ^^

Rap's not really my thing though; I prefer rock/etc like Panic at the Disco, Ok Go, Motion City Soundtrack, Emery, Anberlin, Armor for Sleep, Amber Pacific, etc. Mostly the more "little known" bands >.>

notalwaysright.com = story of my life.
    Personal Blog

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! you have no idea how obsessed my bro is with "we fly high". BALLIN'!!

Rap isnt for everyone though. I guess i wouldnt be as big a fan if it wasnt for the fact that i am surrounded by it and hip hop culture as well.

Aristocratic Assassin MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted LadyHatake's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeoShweaty
    LOL! you have no idea how obsessed my bro is with "we fly high". BALLIN'!!

Rap isnt for everyone though. I guess i wouldnt be as big a fan if it wasnt for the fact that i am surrounded by it and hip hop culture as well.
    XD Everyone in my school loves "We Fly High" Even in my calculus we have guys who randomly yell "BALLIN!" I love it ^^

I come from a really diverse area, so I;ve kind of been influenced by everything. I just like rap and hip hop because they have alot of great beats that really get me pumped up (especially when I'm at the gym) I love turning up my radio when I'm driving and listening to the high energy stuff.

notalwaysright.com = story of my life.
    Personal Blog

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity iThePirate's Avatar
    Country
    British Antarctic Territory
    Post Thanks / Like

American:
    Jedi Mind Tricks, Canibus, Apathy, Celph Titled, Army of the Pharaohs, Ill Bill, Immortal Technique, Styles of Beyond, Necro, Diabolic, Tonedeff, GZA/Genius, Fort Minor 'n The Circle of Tyrants.
    Swedish:
    Pst/Q, Organism12 aka Ågren, Gubb, Peshi, Chords, Obnoxiuz Afasi, Leo 'n Mobbade Barn Med Automatvapen.

Think that covers my favourites pretty well...
    I got the medal!

Siggeh By Foxxxer, Rest In Peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurel View Post
    lookie wad we have here.. it's the swearing i-can't-spell-for-nuts drunk j/k

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i have only heard of three of those artists in america and none abroad. Its great to see how diverse the community can be.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like

which three?

from the swedish ones there's only three that raps in english, peshi, obnoxiuz and chords. thinks obnoxiuz put some songs up on his site, gon' check it.

EDIT:
    http://www.obnoxiuz.com/default.asp?show=MEDIA
    http://www.peshi.com/
    I got the medal!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard a song from Jedi Mind Tricks, Cannibus and, of course, i have heard of the GZA (Wu-Tang!)

Country
    Post Thanks / Like

well i think almost all of the above have myspaces (even though myspace sucks) with various songs on 'em.

I got the medal!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [sfc
    ]
    well i think almost all of the above have myspaces (even though myspace sucks) with various songs on 'em.

Ill check them out sometime. I am always open to new stuff.

New Reply
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast