Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

Thread: TEIKOKUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rsatori's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

TEIKOKUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was just thinking of the previous arc and some things I've noticed.

Karin was supposed to take down Hiruma's tricks (so stated during the Teikoku meeting). They also put a Karin vs Hiruma sign before the match started. However, we didn't really see any interaction between the two and it they pretty much just tossed it out after Karin admitted that tactics wasn't her shtick.

The Eyeshield 21 conflict was not as epic as it could be. I mean throughout the series after Poseidon we're given a hint of the real Eyeshield 21. Even a chapter during the Hakushuu match was taken to introduce us to Teikoku in which even Shinryuuji was made to look like a chump. So the build up to the start of the arc was pretty strong until Yamato showed up. Throughout the series they give us this huge mystery surrounding Eyeshield 21 and then Yamato shows up and says "Sup guys." They probably should have extended the mystery a little longer, like introducing other Teikoku characters to be possible Eyeshield 21 candidates. I think keeping Yamato's face and identity a secret longer would have made the build up better. Yamato should have showed up out of nowhere. This, followed by possibly a Hiruma background introduction of the Teikoku team's players to give us a good feel that he's given a really good look at them.

I guess what I wanted was a much more established feel for the characters. They come into this series with the least amount of face-time so naturally you'd think giving them more face-time than usual would get us to care a little more about them. I know Taka in general was overly hated on at first but now we see him as a more understandable character. Yamato carried the strong guy feel much like Shin or Agon, but he had little personality for us to deem him likable. I think that had we been some of the given the information we learned during the America arc before or during the start of the match it'd have been more appropriate because Yamato is a mere background character at this point.

The whole Monta vs Taka conflict had a much better build-up and an even more enjoyable focus than the Eyeshield 21 face-off. Which to me was pretty anticlimactic because the manga is called Eyeshield 21. I mean Sena and Monta had a fist fight over this whole Honjou shit. You'd think Sena vs Yamato would have gotten some serious highlights too. A nice reflection of Sena's training, the people he's faced, and his own thoughts about becoming the real deal. Suzuna could have played a big role in talking to him. I would think a new-comer like Sena would have some kind of deep emotional epiphany before telling Yamato to shove it right before the match started.

And fucking Monta tossing his glove into the ocean? Littering is a good lesson to teach the good Japanese children you market this shit to Inagaki. >:|
    Last edited by Rsatori; May 17, 2009 at 01:58 AM.
    Sometimes I think that anime and manga today is all thanks to the Atomic Bombs.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cHaotix8's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TEIKOKUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I still don't really like Yamato, even with his little bit of character development, if you can call it that. Funny thing is, most of the secondary Teikoku character's are more interesting than their Ace's, and they didn't even get a back story. :P

Things were way too rushed after the Hakushuu match. The game wasn't that bad, but had the series ended at the Christmas Bowl, I would of been a bit disappointed. The final game was nowhere near as epic as it should of been, especially when you compare it to the Ojou and Shinryuuji matches.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

With Yamato if we had seen some more desperation from him during the match I think it would have been a lot more interesting to see him as a character. I mean we saw throughout his flashbacks in America that he had to struggle and push himself to get to the top. His attitude in the match is similar but it isn't the same kind of desperation the Devilbats have shown. I think if Yamato had a less generic friendly competition persona and more of an aggressive spartan persona I'd have found him more enjoyable. It would have been more awesome if he was a complete asshole to Sena.

This kind of expression all the time.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cHaotix8's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, then he'd just be a combination of Ikari and Shin. But yeah, his personality doesn't match with his background. He doesn't really have a shtick that's common amongst the other characters. Taka's at least always seen with a book. When you compare Yamato to the others, his generic personality is prevalent. Just the plain "better than thou" persona. Not to mention people like that usually annoy the hell out of me in person.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member JC123's Avatar
    City of Eternal Darkness, and it ain't Alaska!
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Karin is such a girl. And I don't mean that in a good way. She was an athlete that is the best Teikoku has to offer. Ibarada seemed to have been a decent scrambler type (which we didn't get until Clifford came in) but seriously... KARIN was the best they had. She was perfect at everything but dodging which she got better at. She FLOATED the ball to Taka who basically owned Monta the entire game. And yet they lost because they didn't want an interception and Yamato had the win with his slow power run. They had no coach, only the players deciding plays, and nothing really got them together except that they each had a talent no one else had. Sorry but this has copout written over it as a story.

It kinda makes me mad. I would have loved to see more from them. Yamato wasn't really explained to us, only thrown at us as the REAL ES21. It's as if we couldn't get a better antagonist other than what you all said before.

Taka was great. A guy that was great because of his own training and innate talent. I liked the fact that he didn't really want to do football, but regardless he played.

Hercules, decent. They lost the line battle regardless, so I wasn't interested in him. Hell, Gaou was the better opponent. They should have had him play in Teikoku with Hercules adding the trick plays to Marco's lineup. Would have made Teikoku a HELLUVA lot more enjoyable.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have enjoyed it if they made Karin the Hakushu QB and left Ibarada as the Teikoku QB. I mean with Ibarada we'd at least have one character that has some kind of familiar background and it would have left Bando revenge dynamic intact. Instead they tossed any mention of the Bando aces that joined Teikoku and it kind of just makes you feel like Bando's struggle was for naught.

A lot of Teikoku had potential because they are composed of the top 250 aces (that they could grab) in the country. Now everybody who didn't sell out to Teikoku is in the all-star team but the other 250 aces didn't even get a mention (though their test probably was more impossible than Kanto's tryout). Point is, they should have had more impressive characters get the spotlight other than mainly Taka or Yamato. Even Taka, Heracles, and Karin pretty much only got two chapters total.

Having Gaou in Hakushu is just right, mainly because he was pretty much the whole team. Once he was stopped in his tracks the whole game was mainly defensive. Once Marco got a screwbite in he'd rely on Gaou to open a path for him. Plus they're all about power and wrecking shit up. If they had Heracles his speed and technique (but lack of power to match Kurita) would have been a little misplaced. Plus Gaou is pretty much a dinosaur. Heracles is.. well, just another guy. He fits the whole Greek/roman mythology shtick Teikoku has along with the Emperor Yamato and Achilles, who has one known weak point (women). Karin kind of fits the image, mainly that she is a goddess with many worshippers (though it would have made sense for her to be more snobbish). I think the other characters seem a bit mismatched. I'm not sure about Taka or the Side-lines magician. They really should have gone all out with the themes like the other teams in this manga.

I would have preferred Heracles, Achilles, and Karin to display more impressive abilities. Heracles should have been buffer, Achilles should have been a beast with an Achilles heel, and Karin should have been a helluva lot smarter.
    Last edited by Rsatori; May 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really that, just more a sense that they were fighting an empire.

"You have to prove to us on the battlefield that you are worthy to face the BEST that Teikoku has to offer."

You could have had the first half given to the lowest that Teikoku had to offer. Hell, the 4th string starts but the 6th string doesn't even play on the field. Ibarada would have gotten his chance to prove how he was pwned for real! As you move up, Deimon may be getting tired but the empire is fighting the lowly commoners. Yamato would have been a great A-Hole to employ, deploying strategy to the lowlier RBs while scouting Sena. All the while, he's on the sidelines stalking his prey.

When half time comes, Deimon may have scored a few points. But it's NOTHING compared to the BEST that Teikoku has to offer. Refreshed, we meet Karin, the accurate dodging QB. We see Taka, we see Yamato, and they score three touchdowns back to back. Hiruma looks at the chibi and the rest is history. Through the fight we could see the condensed version of what is already there. You met the best, now you have to beat him. Yamato is ES21 through his sheer will power. Heracles and Achilles have a strength that far surpasses Kurita. Achilles one weakness is the fact that his speed is 4.6, making him a target very close to elimination in the game until Heracles covers for him in some way.

Karin has an intuition to fight Hiruma with Taka's passes. The coach actually makes an appearance.

I swear, there was so much that this could have been. But it all got steamrolled into the final chapter which is what I hated.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything you said, JC123 but the point about Heracles and Achilles have a strength that far surpasses Kurita. We already seen the duel between Kurita and Gaou to obtain the title of the best lineman. It would be anticlimactic to see someone who is even more powerful than Gaou. It would be really hard to develop a character that can match the raw strength of Gaou.
    My hair gives me the power to defy gravity!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree more to make Heracles and Achilles more of an Ootawara type who is strong but his speed makes up it. The Hakushu power battle was fine as it was and making someone more powerful than Kurita and Gaou would make Hakushu look like a joke. Teikoku's speed gimmick was a good one, they just needed to make their lineman more of a challenge to Kurita not necessarily in strength but through technique or speed.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really mean to say that Hercules could take on Kurita in raw strength. If need be, I'm more inclined to say that they should have Achilles as the second one to take on Kurita exclusively, giving more to Ootawara's technique. Bowl him over, sky blue, it would have been both teamwork and power, giving credence to Hercules' emphasis on team plays being stronger than one individual.