Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)

View Poll Results: What did you think of Ulquiorra' Death Scene?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short! Should've given him more time to say goodbye to his little Hime.

18 31.03%
  • Too long! Who the hell needs five panels of a guy fading away?

6 10.34%
  • Just right! Tragic but not dragged out like the others.

29 50.00%
  • Who cares? He was barely a character...

5 8.62%
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ulquiorra's Death

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tonguen_yomom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra's Death

Well...that was quick. Mistake on the very first post. Didn't expect to fail so epically so fast.

Anyway, now I want your opinion on this fairly prevalent character's demise at the hands of our main character Ichigo. I noticed that a lot of people were disappointed in the way he died. Without even getting a flashback like Grimmjow and Nnoitora.

I personally thought that his death was very fitting for his character. To start with, people call his personality dull and uninteresting but that was the point. He was heartless: the tinman of Bleach. His entire character was designed to be one-sided and shallow because it was stated time and time again that he did not believe in that all-important shounen heart. Because of that, I don't think that a flashback would have said much about him. The fact that he didn't have a flashback only showed that none of what had happened to him before mattered, only what he learns in his final moments...you know...love and friendship and all that good stuff.

It also didn't seem like the heart was something he lost some-odd years ago. It was just his personal philosophy; the exact opposite of Ichigo’s "fight for my friends" shpeal (which, by the way, made their fight the most intense one since Ichigo vs Byakuya). Hell, his aspect of death was desolation/nihilism.

And even though his end was somewhat sappy, it wasn’t like he went out like a wuss. The guy still was still fighting after getting his arm and legs ripped and blown off. Now that's a soldier! No wonder Aizen trusted him to defend Las Noches. He only died of exhaustion after a guy he KILLED, not once, not twice, but THREE times gets back up like nothing happened. I’d killed myself, too.

Tell me what you think.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Chaoswind's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ulquiorra's Death

I agree, his dead was fitting for his character, I am not saying it was perfectly done, but it was fine.

A flash back of Ulquiorra could have confirmed to us if he was truly a vastro or not, but besides that there wasn't much else to expect from a flash back...

So yeah, I am not brooding about his dead and the lack of a flash back, because in the end it would had felt out of place...

Nevertheless confirmation about the Vastros is something that some of us want and demand, so not getting a flash back to explain this particular situation, well kind of sucks.

Voted for:

Too long! Who the hell needs five panels of a guy fading away?

Because is true... who the hell wants to see 5 WASTED panels of a guy fading away -_-
    Last edited by Chaoswind; May 23, 2009 at 03:30 AM.
    http://www.frikipedia.es/friki/Oliver_y_benji
    Give me a GOOD plot progression KUBO!!!

Taking a rest and limiting online time to a few minutes a day

-Firm Supporter of Pistolas, the New group of Arrancars that will replace the Espada <--That is sarcasm.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but now that they're planning to show most if not all of the battles in the real world before they go back to HM, the likelihood of Ulquiorra being a Vasto Lorde is pretty low.
    I mean if he were a Vasto Lorde, how anti-climatic would it be, after all the battling was done, to say "Oh by the way, Ichigo, that hollow guy that you killed: he was a Vasto Lorde. Good Job"? Nah. And I'm pretty sure Ulquiorra would have announced that he was a Vasto Lorde if he could, just to add another layer of despair for Ichigo.
    Still, I'm gonna be pissed if Aizen just summons up a bunch of new Vasto Lord Arrancar out of now where. I'd just be a big "screw you" to all of us who started to like some of the Espada, if we found out that their only purpose was to lull everybody into a false sense of security so that the "real enemies" could make an grand entrance.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

but that way...we might actually see some of the Captains get beaten around and have the Vizards step in.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra's death was a great moment in this manga.
    It was kind of poetic.

And, it's also the first time that Kobo show some balls and actually kill one of the favorite character in the manga, even if he was a "bad guy".

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel his death was appropriate for him but at the same time kubo could have made more out of it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh don't worry, you didn't fail lol It was just a tiny slip which really doesn't matter. Lots of people make that mistake after being here for years >.> I made it a few times lol I think it's great you're posting ideas so don't stop

As for the current topic...

Well I feel his death was appropriate and for the reasons you've stated, it was indeed as symbolic as it could get for Ulquiorra's character. In the end, he did learn athing or two about humans interestingly.

I wonder if he had lived though, what would've happened. I had predicted a change of heart for Ulquiorra(most characters in series who question human emotions usually have a change of heart concerning those emotions), but I odn't know how far that would've brought him. People always discounted the idea that Ulquiorra would be the one to change sides because he was so loyal to Aizen.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Ulqui's death was all wrong. Not because it was to short or to long, simply because it was badly done.

The last few pages were basicly Orihime and Ichigo having a hissy fit while Ulqui died. The same guy who captured Orihime, attemped to kill 2 soul repears(only saved by Orhime), played with Orihime's mind, pretty much beat down and should have killed Ichigo, and has in all likelyhood eaten many Pluses as a hollow.

And then...WHAT?? Orihime is trying to hold on to Ulqui as he dies?? Shouldn't she be happy that her captor is dead? Kubo tried to lay stockholm syndrome on WAY to thickly. Yeah...it's not like at the same time someone, say ISHIDA a good friend of theirs, is bleeding to death right now and could really use a good healing, eh Orihime.

I'm all for him realizing that mayhaps humans are an interesting group and that love is a cool thing, and for a while now it has been hinted that he might feel that way but come on. Let him redeem himself first and then you can lay on some sort of sadness from Ichigo and Orihime.

I retrospect I didn't really mind how he died I minded the reaction to him dying. It was ridiculous how they felt about him.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
    I think Ulqui's death was all wrong. Not because it was to short or to long, simply because it was badly done.

The last few pages were basicly Orihime and Ichigo having a hissy fit while Ulqui died. The same guy who captured Orihime, attemped to kill 2 soul repears(only saved by Orhime), played with Orihime's mind, pretty much beat down and should have killed Ichigo, and has in all likelyhood eaten many Pluses as a hollow.

And then...WHAT?? Orihime is trying to hold on to Ulqui as he dies?? Shouldn't she be happy that her captor is dead? Kubo tried to lay stockholm syndrome on WAY to thickly. Yeah...it's not like at the same time someone, say ISHIDA a good friend of theirs, is bleeding to death right now and could really use a good healing, eh Orihime.

I'm all for him realizing that mayhaps humans are an interesting group and that love is a cool thing, and for a while now it has been hinted that he might feel that way but come on. Let him redeem himself first and then you can lay on some sort of sadness from Ichigo and Orihime.

I retrospect I didn't really mind how he died I minded the reaction to him dying. It was ridiculous how they felt about him.
    Orihime would never be happy about an enemies death. hell, she'p probably cry when aizen died(she also brought back to life those two arrancar whores). Orihime has been portrayed to be THAT kind and soft since chapter 2 lol.

The only thing that I think ulquiorras death lacked was a bigger flash when he died. Just disolving away was kinda... empty perhaps?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Orihime would never be happy about an enemies death. hell, she'p probably cry when aizen died(she also brought back to life those two arrancar whores). Orihime has been portrayed to be THAT kind and soft since chapter 2 lol.

The only thing that I think ulquiorras death lacked was a bigger flash when he died. Just disolving away was kinda... empty perhaps?
    Ichigo was the exact same way too. It's also serious problem I find in Orhime's character, and I admit disliking her for it. I'm just pointing out the problem in it.

Not only that but what about Ishida, he's bleeding on the floor. Who does she care more about Ulqui or Ishida??
    Last edited by Onomatopoeia; May 23, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I wonder if he had lived though, what would've happened. I had predicted a change of heart for Ulquiorra(most characters in series who question human emotions usually have a change of heart concerning those emotions), but I odn't know how far that would've brought him. People always discounted the idea that Ulquiorra would be the one to change sides because he was so loyal to Aizen.
    I really don't think he would have changed sides though. He knew what his objectives were and was resolved to achieve them no matter what. Granted he may have found his heart at the end thanks to Orihime and Ichigo but that doesn't mean he would've automatically switch sides.

My guess is, had he had the strength to go on, he would have still tried to kill Ichigo. In the end, even though realized his humanity, it doesn't change that fact that he was a hollow and Ichigo was a shinigami.

Quote Quote:

All good points but throughout the manga, it's been stated again and again that hollows are not inherently bad, just lost.

The way I see it, their reaction to him was more pity and sadness for the circumstances he was born in.

Quote Quote:
    You mean he died a HOLLOW death just as Ichigo won a HOLLOW victory? Oh yeah...I went there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguen_yomom View Post
    All good points but throughout the manga, it's been stated again and again that hollows are not inherently bad, just lost.

The way I see it, their reaction to him was more pity and sadness for the circumstances he was born in.
    That doesn't mean that he can be forgiven for everything he's done just because he's unlucky in life.

Also aren't some hollows just plain old bad? Like that one guy at the beginning of the manga who was a murderer in his past life. didn't he go to hell? Wasn't his name Shriker?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are hollows that are just plain evil. Just as there are shinigami that are just plain d*cks: (Gin and Mayuri come to mind *edit* and Aizen...don't know why I left him out).

That also makes me wonder; can a shinigami be sent to hell when he dies? I mean that "do anything as long as you're a hollow" thing shouldn't really apply to shinigami who can actually discern right from wrong...Actually, now that I think about it, I guess that should apply to Arrancar as well...there goes my argument
    Last edited by Tonguen_yomom; May 23, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Chaoswind's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

O.O

When a Shinigami dies... they truly die, not reincarnation or anything, Hollows souls are purified and go to SS (like the soul Burial on pluses), once you spend some time in SS (yet to be defined) those souls can reincarnate.

If a Shinigami is killed their soul is lost forever and their body turns into SP, the same would happen to Pluses that are murdered... and I guess the same happens to the Hollows that are killed and not purified (Quincy anyone?)

But who gives a damn really?
    http://www.frikipedia.es/friki/Oliver_y_benji
    Give me a GOOD plot progression KUBO!!!

Taking a rest and limiting online time to a few minutes a day

-Firm Supporter of Pistolas, the New group of Arrancars that will replace the Espada <--That is sarcasm.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Re: Ulquiorra's Death

Wait...is a shinigami getting killed off that different from any other soul just spending some time in the Soul Society until they get reincarnated? I mean, shinigami were once just pluses too. Shouldn't they go to the same pace once they die or whatever? Do souls in the Soul Society even die naturally? Ukitake's been sick for god knows how long and Yama can't possibly live another 2000 years...right?

Anyway I never really understood that whole death system of Bleach all that much...You're right. None of it really matters. I was just interested. Maybe Aizen'll shed some light on this matter once he's "standing in heaven."

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast