Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: What did you think of Ulquiorra' Death Scene?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short! Should've given him more time to say goodbye to his little Hime.

18 31.03%
  • Too long! Who the hell needs five panels of a guy fading away?

6 10.34%
  • Just right! Tragic but not dragged out like the others.

29 50.00%
  • Who cares? He was barely a character...

5 8.62%
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ulquiorra's Death

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Chaoswind's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ulquiorra's Death

As Urahara says, If you die in Spirit form, there is NOTHING beyond that... so when a Shinigami/Plus dies, they truly die, would be a good reason why Quincys had to be put down.

I need to say that If a Hollow eats a Shinigami, they don't disappear, their Reiki becomes a part of the hollow, but their soul (their entity) is lost forever... or that is what I remember.
    http://www.frikipedia.es/friki/Oliver_y_benji
    Give me a GOOD plot progression KUBO!!!

Taking a rest and limiting online time to a few minutes a day

-Firm Supporter of Pistolas, the New group of Arrancars that will replace the Espada <--That is sarcasm.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

if i may ask; what are plus/pluses?? and what is this soul burial on pluses thing?

Ulquiorras death for me was pretty good. the way you (tonguen_yomom) put it, since there was no flashback meant that nothing mattered in the past about him. i liked that part a lot.

and now that u mention the hollow go back to SS if they didn't commit a crime in real life, makes me think ulquiorra joins the gotei 13 and becomes a new captain. and later he fights aizen who made it to SS to get his key.
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Only hollows who hvae their head/mask cut by a Zanpakuto can have their sins cleansed and therefore their soul may enter SS to be reborn(if they lead a decent life that is).

The mechanics of arrancars in respect to this aren't really clear as some arrancars have dissolved when they died and some haven't.

Ulquiorra however did not receive any blow to the head with a Zanpakuto IIRC so his soul was not cleansed and just dissolved I suppose.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Melody View Post
    Only hollows who hvae their head/mask cut by a Zanpakuto can have their sins cleansed and therefore their soul may enter SS to be reborn(if they lead a decent life that is).

The mechanics of arrancars in respect to this aren't really clear as some arrancars have dissolved when they died and some haven't.

Ulquiorra however did not receive any blow to the head with a Zanpakuto IIRC so his soul was not cleansed and just dissolved I suppose.
    I don't recall the mask or head part being a requirement though. I thought that was simply for efficiency reasons and to avoid seeing the real face of the hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoswind View Post
    As Urahara says, If you die in Spirit form, there is NOTHING beyond that... so when a Shinigami/Plus dies, they truly die, would be a good reason why Quincys had to be put down.

I need to say that If a Hollow eats a Shinigami, they don't disappear, their Reiki becomes a part of the hollow, but their soul (their entity) is lost forever... or that is what I remember.
    When did urahara said that? I thought that when people in SS they returned to the human world to be born humans. That was said when rukia explained the reasons for annihilating the quincy. She mentioned a flow of souls between SS and the HW.
    Last edited by kkck; May 23, 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

No you're right the mask is never really mentioned. It has to be a slash of some kind(assuming fatal though as Ichigo had slashed up many hollows prior to "cleansing" them). However, all hollows possess a mask versus all the other morphological differences so yes, pragmatically speaking it's the best place to aim.

Symbolically speaking however, the mask is the physical manifestation that the person's soul is clouded by instinct/despair so IMO it'd make sense symbolically speaking that it was THAT exact part which needed to be shattered in order for the hollow's soul to be released. Orihime's brother even slashes his own hollow mask away and he becomes cleansed.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hossice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha plot-kai! lol idk just had to.

I wish ulquiorra did some other technique other than the lanza del relampago. would've been cool to see what else he had. or maybe he didn't have anything. or maybe, he will be back as a captain in SS with new found abilities. =P lol j/k but maybe i'm not
    twitter.com/mahossice - follow back!

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that lance thingy was pretty darn powerful Wonder if he was able to create other shapes out of his reiatsu than lances.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hossice View Post
    hahaha plot-kai! lol idk just had to.

I wish ulquiorra did some other technique other than the lanza del relampago. would've been cool to see what else he had. or maybe he didn't have anything. or maybe, he will be back as a captain in SS with new found abilities. =P lol j/k but maybe i'm not
    If you count what ulquiorra did plus his implied abilities, ulquiorra did quite more than he would appear though. Ulquiorra had at least 3 kinds of cero(normal cero, cero oscuras and implied gran rey cero), he had the lightsaber he used in resurreccion, lanza del relampago(improved lightsaber lol) and the ability to regenerate. All in all, ulquiorra is the arrancar who has showed the most abilities. I would say it is very unlikely he had anything else to show.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Chaoswind's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

a Plus is a normal spirit... a Menos is a Hollow

Plus +
    Menos -

Soul burial is the seal of approval shinigami give to pluses, and to save me time, just check the early chapters...

Oh, and Urahara says it when Ichigo is training to regain his powers, or so I believe
    Last edited by Chaoswind; May 23, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
    http://www.frikipedia.es/friki/Oliver_y_benji
    Give me a GOOD plot progression KUBO!!!

Taking a rest and limiting online time to a few minutes a day

-Firm Supporter of Pistolas, the New group of Arrancars that will replace the Espada <--That is sarcasm.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoswind View Post

a Plus is a normal spirit... a Menos is a Hollow

Plus +
    Menos -

Soul burial is the seal of approval shinigami give to pluses, and to save me time, just check the early chapters...

Oh, and Urahara says it when Ichigo is training to regain his powers, or so I believe
    I can't believe we had to explain this. It was the main point of the manga for a while.

Kind of depressing when you think about it.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I've been thinking about something for a while. If a Soul Reaper kills an Arrancar by stabbing it does that mean all the Pluses and Menoses get sent to SS or not?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tonguen_yomom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Actually I've been thinking about something for a while. If a Soul Reaper kills an Arrancar by stabbing it does that mean all the Pluses and Menoses get sent to SS or not?
    It wouldn't really be right if the ONLY way to cleanse a hollow would be to slash it with a zanpakuto. I mean, think about all the other techniques used: kido, poison, fire, ice, Yumichika's draining thing. Why would a shinigami ever use those on a hollow if it would just dissolve them into nothingness?

What's worse, remember the way Mayuri tortured Szayel? Since he was technically made up of a whole bunch of souls, does that mean all the other souls were tortured as well? They shared the same body so even if one soul dominates they would all feel the effects right?

That brings me to yet another point: when the souls that were in a holow are sent to the Soul Society, would they still remember being a hollow? I don't know...maybe I'm over-complicating things.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguen_yomom View Post
    It wouldn't really be right if the ONLY way to cleanse a hollow would be to slash it with a zanpakuto. I mean, think about all the other techniques used: kido, poison, fire, ice, Yumichika's draining thing. Why would a shinigami ever use those on a hollow if it would just dissolve them into nothingness?
    Well it's the only confirmed way the manga has told us. The reason Quincies never caught on is because when Quincies kill hollows, they dissolve them.

IMO anything that kills a hollow and has to do with a Zanpakutou will suffice as cleansing, not necessarily a clean regular slash so Zanpakutou abilities should work as that is the one tool Rukia specifically states is needed. Kidou most likely just dissolves hollows so it wouldn't be the appropriate method to finish one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguen_yomom View Post
    What's worse, remember the way Mayuri tortured Szayel? Since he was technically made up of a whole bunch of souls, does that mean all the other souls were tortured as well? They shared the same body so even if one soul dominates they would all feel the effects right?

That brings me to yet another point: when the souls that were in a holow are sent to the Soul Society, would they still remember being a hollow? I don't know...maybe I'm over-complicating things.
    Well for one thing, Gillian Menos have no consciousness. So they don't know anything other than their primal instincts. Therefore, all the souls/hollows which make up a Gillian have also forsaken any consciousness in the process.

At one point however, sometimes through some unknown factor, a Gillian does develop a personality and it starts devouring other hollows to start the chain.

So really, most of the souls composing of a hollow don't know much except that one "combined" persona that is the Menos.

The mechanics are really not said as to what happens when hollows devour souls/other hollows. Do they literally incorporate other souls in their being or only the spirit energy? If that was the case, when a hollow "dies", wouldn't you see loads of souls escaping from its tummy or something?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member drakend's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted Ulquiorra's death was properly done, but it won't last too much. Ichigo will summon Sheronoue, using the Bleach Balls, to resurrect Ulquiorra.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    I voted Ulquiorra's death was properly done, but it won't last too much. Ichigo will summon Sheronoue, using the Bleach Balls, to resurrect Ulquiorra.
    I don't see why orihime will actually bring ulquiorra back from the dead. Would not fit at all and would make about 2 volumes of the story completely useless lol. The only reason for which I could see a purpose in bringing ulquiorra back is so that ichigo can properly defeat him(instead of his hollow form).....

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Tonguen_yomom's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I don't see why orihime will actually bring ulquiorra back from the dead. Would not fit at all and would make about 2 volumes of the story completely useless lol. The only reason for which I could see a purpose in bringing ulquiorra back is so that ichigo can properly defeat him(instead of his hollow form).....
    lol That would be the most f***ed up thing ever. Reviving a guy just so you can kill him again "properly" and provide Ichigo with a little extra training?

Ichigo: Hey, Ulquiorra. Welcome back.
    Ulquiorra: WTF? Didn't I just die?
    Ichigo: Yeah I didn't really like how you just sorta faded away. This time I'm gonna go for a more slashy-explosion-WTFPWNage kinda thing.
    Orihime: Go for his throat!!!
    Ichigo: Thanks sweetie! *blows kisses*
    Ulquiorra:...

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast