Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: What did you think of Ulquiorra' Death Scene?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too short! Should've given him more time to say goodbye to his little Hime.

18 31.03%
  • Too long! Who the hell needs five panels of a guy fading away?

6 10.34%
  • Just right! Tragic but not dragged out like the others.

29 50.00%
  • Who cares? He was barely a character...

5 8.62%
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ulquiorra's Death

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member drakend's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ulquiorra's Death

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't see why orihime will actually bring ulquiorra back from the dead. Would not fit at all and would make about 2 volumes of the story completely useless lol. The only reason for which I could see a purpose in bringing ulquiorra back is so that ichigo can properly defeat him(instead of his hollow form).....
    But now Ulquiorra understands love, so he will side with Ichigo of course...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member axellover2's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Ulquiorra's death suited him.It wasnt too much and I thought it suited his character.Made me wonder if Orihime can bring back ash though.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguen_yomom View Post
    lol That would be the most f***ed up thing ever. Reviving a guy just so you can kill him again "properly" and provide Ichigo with a little extra training?

Ichigo: Hey, Ulquiorra. Welcome back.
    Ulquiorra: WTF? Didn't I just die?
    Ichigo: Yeah I didn't really like how you just sorta faded away. This time I'm gonna go for a more slashy-explosion-WTFPWNage kinda thing.
    Orihime: Go for his throat!!!
    Ichigo: Thanks sweetie! *blows kisses*
    Ulquiorra:...
    O know it would be fucked up which is why I started by saying that I don't think it would happen to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    But now Ulquiorra understands love, so he will side with Ichigo of course...
    He understands what heart means but for all we know emo-boy would fall in love with aizen... Or maybe he would be in a love triangle with orihime and aizen...
    Last edited by kkck; May 24, 2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    He understands what heart means but for all we know emo-boy would fall in love with aizen... Or maybe he would be in a love triangle with orihime and aizen...
    I don't want to think to what Ulquiorra may do to Inoue in his second released state then!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Nnoitora's death was pretty fitting for his character. But aside from Ulquiorra and Nnoitora all of the other Espada's death have been kinda "meh" at least so far. Szayel also had an interesting death, but his was more ironic than anything else. But i will say that Ulquiorra had his character developed the most out of any of the Espada thus far, so his death had more on a "impact". All i can say is that i hope that all of the Espada don't get killed off, because developing their individual character would greatly impact the series.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ozehro's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguen_yomom View Post
    Well...that was quick. Mistake on the very first post. Didn't expect to fail so epically so fast.

Anyway, now I want your opinion on this fairly prevalent character's demise at the hands of our main character Ichigo. I noticed that a lot of people were disappointed in the way he died. Without even getting a flashback like Grimmjow and Nnoitora.

I personally thought that his death was very fitting for his character. To start with, people call his personality dull and uninteresting but that was the point. He was heartless: the tinman of Bleach. His entire character was designed to be one-sided and shallow because it was stated time and time again that he did not believe in that all-important shounen heart. Because of that, I don't think that a flashback would have said much about him. The fact that he didn't have a flashback only showed that none of what had happened to him before mattered, only what he learns in his final moments...you know...love and friendship and all that good stuff.

It also didn't seem like the heart was something he lost some-odd years ago. It was just his personal philosophy; the exact opposite of Ichigo’s "fight for my friends" shpeal (which, by the way, made their fight the most intense one since Ichigo vs Byakuya). Hell, his aspect of death was desolation/nihilism.

And even though his end was somewhat sappy, it wasn’t like he went out like a wuss. The guy still was still fighting after getting his arm and legs ripped and blown off. Now that's a soldier! No wonder Aizen trusted him to defend Las Noches. He only died of exhaustion after a guy he KILLED, not once, not twice, but THREE times gets back up like nothing happened. I’d killed myself, too.

Tell me what you think.
    I agree with you. at first I was disappointed but then I came to like
    the ending. it was out of the blue but the ending developed his character
    in an interesting way. that said I disagree with you and don't think he was shallow. rather as a realist he was correct about the heart.
    emotions are arbitrary parameters of the brain. but in shounen
    you have to establish some sort of pleasantness in the moral I guess.

and I agree with you on the last part. he "killed" Ichigo like three times
    and the guy still wakes up fully healed. I'd kill myself too.lmao.
    and that's my only criticism about the fight.
    I don't care about the crazy power up Ichigo got. it was unsatisfying but
    I don;t care. what I care is that there was very little consequences
    as a result of this battle. Ichigo simply goes back to square 1 in the end.
    he made no progress. that to me was annoying...

*Predictions:*
    |Ulquiorra was the only VL under Aizen|
    |Aizen is not the last villain in Bleach|
    |Use the espada sig and Credit Geoff|

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozehro View Post
    Ichigo simply goes back to square 1 in the end.
    he made no progress. that to me was annoying...
    Oh but this has to be seen... Ichigo wasn't in control of Ichigonator, neither was Shirosaki... anyway that was Shirosaki at a new stage of power. Will this evolution bring a toll with it? Will Shirosaki gain more will power from now on?
    Will he just accept to keep being the horse, or will he try to become the king once again?
    Evreything can happen, but I think an evolution of this magnitude on Ichigo cannot be without consequences. I have the feeling we'll see Shirosaki again very soon because Ichigonator was, for the most part, him!
    Perhaps not for another inner fight (it would get boring and repetitive), but for proposing a deal with Ichigo, like cooperaing at certain conditions and such. If Ichigo is half hollow and half shinigami, then there can't be no king: there are two kings who must cooperate if they want to survive.
    They have good chances to survive if they do that, imho...

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh but this has to be seen... Ichigo wasn't in control of Ichigonator, neither was Shirosaki... anyway that was Shirosaki at a new stage of power. Will this evolution bring a toll with it? Will Shirosaki gain more will power from now on?
    Will he just accept to keep being the horse, or will he try to become the king once again?
    Evreything can happen, but I think an evolution of this magnitude on Ichigo cannot be without consequences. I have the feeling we'll see Shirosaki again very soon because Ichigonator was, for the most part, him!
    Perhaps not for another inner fight (it would get boring and repetitive), but for proposing a deal with Ichigo, like cooperaing at certain conditions and such. If Ichigo is half hollow and half shinigami, then there can't be no king: there are two kings who must cooperate if they want to survive.
    They have good chances to survive if they do that, imho...
    yeah but Ichigo can't stand shirosaki. and I don't blame him.
    losing control of your body and indirecly harming your friends can't
    be fun. so I think another inner battle is about to emerge..
    I just want old man zangetsu to come back. that dude was crazy cool!

Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra's Eyes!

If I understand correctly, Ulquiorra's eyes can be crushed so
    that those who breath it in can experience reality as Ulq experienced it.
    in otherwords you would see what Ulq saw,smelled,touched,tasted, and listened...

That's one pretty useful ability. especially to people like AIzen...
    so do you think those eyes will have some role in the future?
    for example one of those eyes could appear in FKT, and teach the espada
    how to reach segunda etapa? or it could appear next to Aizen teaching him
    about the new stage of our hero Ryoka!

what do you think? do you think there's any chance of Tite using
    this ability to progress the plot?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Aonsaithya's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ulquiorra's Eyes!

Seeing how the eyes seemingly faded away, scattered into the wind like ash, I find it hard to believe they'd appear again.

Though, I'm not so sure Ulquiorra would be on Aizen's side anymore (if somehow brought back), his fight against Ichigo was more of a personal thing, he had to destroy that which he did not understand. Since he gets an idea of what a heart is as he dies, he might again aim for his personal goals, this time drastically different.
    Disbelief, Despair & Hatred.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the ash thing puts a huge dent on the theory...
    but for all we know it could be explained by saying it was a teleportation device...
    and maybe his eyes aren't fully in his control. like it could be that when
    he dies his eyes automatically react by teleporting themselves to a preset destination?
    in this case either next to Aizen or next to the primera...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think any eye that gets separated from him would have to be crushed before the new one grows out.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is Ulquiorra?

Ulquiorra has been killed by Ichigonator for good.
    It's clearly shown in the manga he turns into dust.
    Now my question is: where did he go? What has become of him?!?
    We know that evrey hollow killed by a shinigami is purified and go to SS, unless they have committed capital sins during their human life.
    So Ulquiorra should be somewhere in SS now, perhaps in Rukongai. Maybe he will appear again in the future as a shinigami captain and will be Ichigo's best mate!
    Let's discuss this dudes!

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where is Ulquiorra?

Ulquiorra has been killed by Ichigonator for good.
    It's clearly shown in the manga he turns into dust.
    Now my question is: where did he go? What has become of him?!?
    We know that evrey hollow killed by a shinigami is purified and go to SS, unless they have committed capital sins during their human life.
    So Ulquiorra should be somewhere in SS now, perhaps in Rukongai. Maybe he will appear again in the future as a shinigami captain and will be Ichigo's best mate!
    Let's discuss this dudes!
    Ulquiorra wasn't a hollow per say, he was an arrancar. In that sense he was as much of a shinigami as ichigo as the vizards. I would think ulquiorra just skipped the whole going to SS thing and went to the cycle of birth and rebirth. Also, did ulquiorra actually die by ichigo's zampakuto(which is what purifies hollows)? I thought he was killed by ichigo's cero....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where is Ulquiorra?

There really isn't enough information in canon. I mean really, the purifying thing makes sense for your basic hollows, they are essentially one being. However... Once we get to menos and higher, things get a bit more confusing. I mean do they all get purified, or is it only the 'one in control', and in fact, is said one in control actually one of the hollows in the first place? Not to mention all the other menos it has to eat to keep it's individuality... Add that to them being turned arrancar and it gets more confusing... I mean did Grand fisher get purified himself? He was a single hollow after all before getting turned.

Similarly is their humanoid forms the one that gets purified in the first place? I really have a hard time seeing a real life person that looks like #5 existing for one thing. That's one messed up anatomy.

Hell, you can even make an argument that this is the reason ol' Yama saw fit to spare Harribel's fraccion rather than purging them, there's really nothing gained on the whole soul front, and you're pretty much just killing an individual conscience that never existed without restoring the beings that were destroyed in the process of making it. Boils down to What Measure Is A Non Human, pretty much. Particularly in regards to the 'Nobody' argument that was to be had with this trope.

Suffice to say we need a lot more information before we can make a call. Unfortunately the whole 'purification' thing kinda got pushed to the side ever since the soul society arc.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3