Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game by Kaitani Shinobu

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member hibar90's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how many more games there will be... We really have no way of knowing how many people actually were in the game from the start, we were just told nao was 1 in 100000 who get chosen for the game. Anyways, basically a ridiculous amount of people get disqualified from the game each round so I really do not see how exactly the game can go on for much longer. Seriously, the very first game should have disqualified 50% of the players or more (depending on what they did). The minority rule game should have disqualified 23 out of 24 players. There was an upsizing game too... Then there was the contraband game which disqualified yet again half the players in the game. The there was another revival round and then the virus game which could have eliminated a random number of players. Then there is the chair game which eliminates basically all the players but one. Now, even with revival rounds the game should have basically gotten rid of the vast majority of players even taking into consideration how many revival rounds there have been unless of course the initial number of players actually bordered in the hundreds of thousands or millions in which case the number of players would increase by the hundreds of thousands each revival round.

Seriously, how long can the LGT keep this up? What is the point of the game? Can it really be said they are making a profit here? The game starts with 23 billion each round and 100 is given to each player. The money generally is kept within the game and won by players. In that sense, lets say a player makes money in a game. This player would give back 100 mil to the LGT and keep his winnings. On the other hand, a player who lost money would end up having to give back 100 mil. That would mean the LGT lends to the players 23 billion and in turn it can only get back 23 bil which means the corporation is not really making money out of the game, they are merely breaking even. Only way I could see the LGT profiting from this is to actually do something absolutely horrible to people in debt and actually make more money than what that person owned. The revival round did implied a profit for the LGT but all the other games basically don't provide a profit for the LGT. In other words, the ultimate purpose of the game is not to profit. Perhaps the purpose in the entertainment of rich excentric people who love watching measly puny small ants squirming in agony? Or perhaps it is merely sheer curiosity about finding the king of liars(which was implied once)?

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

LGT makes money/profit from people dropping the game. Otherwise worst case scenario is they break even. At this stage including extras + people from revival games keep coming in there should be around 1000+. It could be just below 1000 if we count those removed from winner's mercy. The game could still last 2 or 3 more round depending on how many people came from revival rounds. After musical chair which could have 2 possible winners, around 40-80 people should last for next round. Just a thought, do you think this organization is a multinational cooperation? Right now, they are selecting candidates from japan to be matched with swindler from all over the world? Give your thoughts. I hardly believe that such company would be only established and making profit in Japan.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

True, people dropping the game would indeed turn a profit for the LGT, I forgot to consider that scenario. Still, that would only be the case assuming they can get the hundred mil back from people who don't have any money otherwise even breaking even is a fair stretch unless of course the manga takes a rather mordid turn and the people in debt are sold as slaves or have their organs removed in which case 100 mil would not be unrealistic (at least IMHO opinion, don't really know how the slave and organ black market would work in a fictional manga).

Seeing the game hosts, it really does not seem like the actual purpose of the game is to make a profit, rather they seem to be looking for the "king of liars" or something along the lines while at the same time they enjoy watching puny insignificant ants struggling against the big dude with the magnifying glass. Impossible to say whether the liar game goes beyond the borders of japan though. On one hand, the LGT would indeed have a greater chance of finding whatever they are looking for if they run a bigger game but also they getting profits becomes more complicated if the game turns out to be too large. For simplicity's sake, I'd guess the game does not go beyond the borders of Japan though. BTW, where did you get the numbers about the number of players right now? The manga has not revealed much about that so I can't really say how many players remain. Perhaps the author is not bothering with that and just adds players for plot convenience rather than having a logic about it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hard Core Rikki's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Perhaps the author is not bothering with that and just adds players for plot convenience rather than having a logic about it.
    The addition of powerful players has to have had a purpose.
    Even involving Akiyama into the game was suggested by the manipulative agent of the LGT (as well as Nao's seemingly related selection).

Think about something. None of those seems to have played the first round themselves, or gotten selected. The LGT had apparently direct contact with Yokoya (phone call notifying Yokoya of their win in the second revival round).
    - Akyiama came in the second round as replacement for a (suspicious) woman.
    - Fukunaga (second round) as replacement for his female roommate.
    - Yokoya (revival round, after stage 2) as replacement for a supposed friend.
    - ...samue as well? The cultists don't seem to have what it takes to win the first round, and had he won the earlier rounds, he shouldnt be worried about taking as much money out of the game.

Quote Quote:
    What is the point of the game?
    Other than the profit-side from having people drop out sooner or later (with money, rather than without -so that they dont have to pay half of zero yen)?

Pitting manipulators against each others. For all we know, some of them could actually be sent by the LGT, to make sure they win and crush other players into debt. This way, even the fee (half all winnings) to drop out would just stay within the office, thereby costing it nothing if its agents win.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

@kkck: LGT claimed that Nao is one of 100000 players. The first game should kill half of them. Thus in the second round it's only 50000. In the second round you can have at most 2 winners. But taking worst case scenario we multiply 50000 with 1 winner from 24 people. That should leave almost 2100 players at least. Round 3 should eliminate half this number. Therefore in the current event it should be at least 1000 players around including extras. Of course I'm not counting people who drop out. But we may also have people like akiyama who try to pay their debt from revival round.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a site that hosts chinese scans of Liar Game. So you can at least match the spoiler along with the pictures of chapter 137. Even though the english scan will be out soon if the release pattern continues. ^_^

9. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that there are only two reasons for the existence of the Revival Rounds

1. It allows for a lighter atmosphere and simpler game concepts than the complicated and cutthroat competition in the main event (as evident by Revival Round post-Round 3 compared to Round 3 and 4), while at the same time keeping the "game on" atmosphere rather than use coffee scenes (such as the one immediately before Round 3) to send out simpler messages.

2. It allows space for character development, which is essential to the structure of a story. I think that a Liar Game tournament (or any tournament) in real life would immediately cut losers and not let them back into the fray, but Kaitani-sensei can't do this from a fictional writing perspective.

If there were no Revival Rounds, then the main event games would have to allow more than one winner in order for both Akiyama and Nao to move on. This would spoil a lot of game concepts and would be impossible for the Minority Rule Game and the Musical Chairs Game to happen. Or we would only see Akiyama and no more Nao after Round 2. And everyone else would be a one-shot, much like the cameo appearances of most of the players in Round 2. This pretty much makes only one player a recurring character (the other recurring characters being LGT officers), and would be pretty boring to watch because you know he is going to win, or that you are going to have to follow a different person

I would expect that, by Round 4, the competition would be extremely cutthroat since only the best of the best remain, but that would create a lack of balance as softer characters like Nao will never be able to make it that far. Also, continuously introducing large amounts (read: 5 or more) of new players is very confusing. Using nicknames for the players in Round 4 was the only way that I could keep track of who each individual is, and I am glad that Kaitani-sensei used nicknames. I had trouble keeping track of everyone in Round 3, and I'm sure my head would be spinning if most of the players in Round 2 were more than just quick cameo appearances.

Revival Rounds are a good way of bringing back the weaker players so that there is a balance between characters, as well as allowing a focal point on the main strategists (compare keeping track of 3 strategists to 24). It also allows more characters to stay in the game rather than continuously introducing new players. It may screw up the money math a bit, but making sense of a story and characters is why I think Revival Rounds exist.

That said, I fully expect a Revival Round to exist after Musical Chairs. Let's just hope Kaitani-sensei doesn't take another long break like he did after Round 3.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

How long are breaks for this manga? Should I expect something like hunter hunter or perhaps a bit more or less?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he doesn't take such long breaks.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Akiyama's solution on stopping Yokoya was so obvious that is was genious. Though I wonder how such a big group could circle him, without him suspecting anything. I guess it's possible.

But doesn't this imply another revival round? I wonder if Yokoya admits defeat or also continues...

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    Akiyama's solution on stopping Yokoya was so obvious that is was genious. Though I wonder how such a big group could circle him, without him suspecting anything. I guess it's possible.

But doesn't this imply another revival round? I wonder if Yokoya admits defeat or also continues...
    I really feel both Akiyama and Yokoya never taste complete victory over one another. The scenario could also be used against Akiyama; a role reversal. Though I personally feel helping people is a big handicap for akiyama. The real winner here doesn't exist IMHO.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has been worrying me is how exactly akiyama intends to take out the LGT. Certainly his current goal is to help as many people as he can but isn't that a shallow solution? His ability to help people is limited to the amount of people in each game and their willingness to be helped. In that sense, akiyama is not solving the problem, at most he is somewhat succeeding in minimizing damage done by the game. Just going by the games, advancing through the rounds, none of that is actually gonna help him defeat the LGT nor it is gonna necessarily help him get close to the ones that have made the game.

On another note, right now akiyama did lose and is out of the game. He succeeded in making helping a lot of people but in theory the only one that can advance is fatso. I guess there will be a revival round soon enough....

New Reply
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast