Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

Anyone else reading it? I love this manga.
    It's beyond amazing.
    For those who haven't here's a short summary.

Imagine Death Note, minus the psychopathic tendencies of the main character, and with con artists instead of shinigamis.

That's Liar Game.
    Last edited by Josef K.; August 27, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Imitorar's Avatar
    A world of my own creation located within the depths of my mind.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game

Except that Death Note was a suspense thriller about ridding the world of evil, and Liar Game is about fighting a seemingly evil and greedy organization with Game Theory. Just because two manga are both psychological and involve one genius trying to overthrow the establishment doesn't make the same. There's nothing about the two that is similar, except perhaps for the surface impression. Besides, Death Note never had anybody like Nao. I think that she's vastly under-appreciated, people tend to focus on Akiyama.

Also, Liar Game is a seinen. Would a moderator please move this?

Sigpic gotten from Impel Down

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they are similar in that they are great psychological mangas(though Death Note is a bit worse, in my opinion)

Huh, it's a seinen? I didn't know that. Living and learning I guess.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LegACy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I read it to the latest chapter.

And honestly, I don't get how people could say that Liar Game follows Death Note (My translator don't want to translate it because it's too much like DN he said <_<) the only same part is the psychological warfare and tricks. Though, I think Liar Game's plot too repetitive, like, first time they're beaten up, then they seems to be going to lose while in reality they already came up with some tricks (especially in the third round, the one where they're up against Yokoya)

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegACy View Post
    I read it to the latest chapter.

And honestly, I don't get how people could say that Liar Game follows Death Note (My translator don't want to translate it because it's too much like DN he said <_<) the only same part is the psychological warfare and tricks. Though, I think Liar Game's plot too repetitive, like, first time they're beaten up, then they seems to be going to lose while in reality they already came up with some tricks (especially in the third round, the one where they're up against Yokoya)
    Small reference pool.

There are not many famous psychological mangas, so people go with the closest thing to compare it with.
    I am guilty of doing that as well.

I agree it's very formulaic. But it's like reading a murder mystery.
    It's not about IF the detective is going to solve the crime. It's the how, and if YOU can solve it before he does.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this manga too, but the 2nd revival round arc is not really good, the best part was the explanations and my favourite arc by far was the one with yokoya, and nao is a really bad character, I never liked her, although I wonder how she is going to do against the western armies general.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member fizban's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When the scans of this were still in the 2nd round I decided to watch the live-action version of this. It ends early and changes a few things around, but is still pretty great. I think watching it made me appreciate Nao a bit more

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    ... nao is a really bad character, I never liked her, although I wonder how she is going to do against the western armies general.
    No, she's not. That's what I mean, she's under-appreciated. Nao is so vital to the series BECAUSE she's so very innocent (not completely, though, she DID lie to Yokoya). She is the force of purity that can uplift people like Akiyama, who can inspire people like her team in the Revival Round so that everyone will unite. She can't lie, but she can inspire, and that's why she's so needed. That's why this is told from her vantage point. And she's growing. While she's preserved her overall naivete, she's beginning to adjust to how to play the Liar Game, while still remaining the same trusting character that she was before. Nao's characterization has been managed very well.

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After Death Note I thought another psychological manga would be hard to find then I found liar game. I couldn't stop reading it and spent hours trying to catch up. What amazes me about this manga is these rounds are filled with these brain teasers with twists and turns that i love. Liar game makes you think as you read and you can see if you have the brains to figure the rounds before it's revealed. Null puts out around two chapters every week right now from volume 8.

News to Know---liar-game-manga-made-into-2nd-tv-drama-season-film
    Last edited by Akiyama; June 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't bare the main character crying every chapter so I quit partway during the second game.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
    I couldn't bare the main character crying every chapter so I quit partway during the second game.
    Actually I'm curious what you guys think, is it Akiyama or Nao that is the main character? Personally I see it as Akiyama but I'm curious what you guys think.

I personally love this manga somewhere in my top ten(and I consider it quite a bit better then DN).

Nao's characterization has actually been impressively well done and while I fully understand why people dislike her character she's certainly one of(if not) the most developed and dynamic. This is only helped by the fact that Akiyama is a great foil to her character.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Nao is the main character, that seems certain. Remember, Kaitani introduced the story with her, and Akiyama was originally recruited to help her. He is also a main character, but he's not the protagonist. Even the narration is done from Nao's perspective, a clear sign that Kaitani is writing this with her as the main character in mind.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liar Game by Kaitani Shinobu

Nao is getting less naive, if only a little. I've been liking her more since round three. I guess when everyone else are grifters, gamblers, hustlers, and con men/women/okama the only honest person in the room can look like a bit dumb. Her theory about the Liar Game being about honesty was dead on, that's when I started respecting the character.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Onomatopoeia's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

At first stationary roulette sounded lame. Then, after they explained it, it seems like the most devious game I've ever heard of. I wonder what Fukanaga is up to. She has something planned and I doubt the consequences will be nice.

New Reply
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast