Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

Liar Game fans, be sure to check out the mangahelpers yearbook posted on the front page.

---------- Post added January 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was January 01, 2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

Info on the manga releases from TDX scans:

Young Jump's taking a break this week. Next issue (with chapter 145 of Liar Game) will be out only on January 19.

---------- Post added February 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was January 12, 2012 at 12:59 PM ----------

Please visit some of the new Discussion threads around this forum and jump in the fun!

---------- Post added February 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was February 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM ----------

It seems we are getting volume 14 this week with the new chapter right after, volume on 24th and chapter on the 25th, ithe volume will have chapters 139 to 148. Thanks to TDX for the info.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else interested in getting an estimate in to how many players are remaining in Liar Game? I'll be attempting to approximate the numbers in the next few days and will post a thread with my methodology/results if anyone is interested.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been curious about this too. The thing is that it seems like a relatively small number of players are kicked out every round due to the revival rounds. In this regard, the game could easily keep going for quite a while. The game initially said that only 1 in 100000 people were lucky enough to get a chance to play. If we assume there is a shred of truth to that and that there are 130000000 then 1300 would be playing the game at the start. If there were that many people it means that half of them were cut of through the stealing game which leaves around 750 players. From then we would have progressively less and less although I dont remember enough details to actually determine this.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If the translations of the 1st chapter are accurate, there are 100,000 people playing the 1st game. (http://www.mangareader.net/164-10819...chapter-1.html)

I'm almost done with my math. I just need to figure out the percentage of players from the Musical Chairs game playing in the current revival game. When I'm done, I'll post a thread with the details of my math and the very terrible assumptions I was forced to make.

For a sneak peak, as things currently stand, there will be approximately 9452 players remaining going into game 5. That'll probably drop a thousand or two after I take into account additional attrition, but there will still be a lot of players left.

Incidentally, if your 13k initial number is correct, there would still be approximately 2.5k players remaining.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Liar Game Re: Ponder in the Liar Game Lobby

We have our own Liar Game thread icon you guys.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That seems more useful in a forum that lacks specific subforums for individual series, but I guess it is nice.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    That seems more useful in a forum that lacks specific subforums for individual series, but I guess it is nice.
    With the new restart of the series I hope the section gets traffic. So it is a celebration of the restart.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I suppose that would be nice, but I'm not sure the narrative style of Liar Game lends itself to much discussion. Kaitani is way too heavy handed in how he controls how we receive information and there is way too much going back and explaining what happened (just in the current arc, there are things we should have seen, even if at a distance where we don't really know what is happening, that we were denied until he decided to go back and show us)

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Yeah, I suppose that would be nice, but I'm not sure the narrative style of Liar Game lends itself to much discussion. Kaitani is way too heavy handed in how he controls how we receive information and there is way too much going back and explaining what happened (just in the current arc, there are things we should have seen, even if at a distance where we don't really know what is happening, that we were denied until he decided to go back and show us)
    I find myself repeating the same stuff when discussing indeed, simply because I feel we are in a circle, that is how the story is set up. Assumptions everywhere, so not only do we have to wait for the next chapter in order to give a full opinion on something we have to wait until the arc is over, and the game is concluded or explained. Though character development, game rules, character relationships are all out there when discussing, they are not as "fogged" as the plot itself.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been awhile since I did a full readthrough, but I don't remember the early games being nearly as bad in that regard. The reader might have been kept in the dark in regard to certain pieces of information during each game (generally Akiyama's plan) but it wasn't done in an overly convoluted fashion which almost necessitates long explanations to things that should have been shown during the game.

Take the current game for example: if we were just shown the game from the start from Nao's perspective, we wouldn't need ANY of the observer's explanations as to what people were doing.

Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started reading (and finished) this series a few days ago. It's really good! (Some of it is a little hokey and repetitive yes, but seriously what manga isn't?)

It reads like a series of mystery novels. Except, you get more info than a mystery novel usually gives away. This is nice because it gives you the opportunity to try and come up with your own strategies and see if the characters use them, or sometimes surprise you with something you didn't think of. For example, I anticipated quite a large number of the things that the characters did, but one that really got me was during the "Pandemic" game, when Nao's team occupied the stalls to trap Yokoya's team. That was a "zomg why didn't I think of that???" moment.

It's a really entertaining series, I wish there was more!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I just reread the entire musical chairs game. Definitely the best arc in the series so far... I felt that even though we saw a lot happen during the game there were still 1000 strategies possible that we didn't see. I always got the impression gaya could have easily been far more than what it was. Had they had a better leader it is truly possible they would have extorted a lot of coins from one of the main players. Of course perhaps that is where they would have had issues due to all the people that advanced from the earlier virus outbreak round, there would have been no way for everyone to end up with at least 1 coin. Wish I could actually play the game but I guess finding a place to do it and people motivated to run that much would be extremely hard. I also get the impression the actual odds of stealing a chair would be much higher than the game suggested

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I just reread the entire musical chairs game. Definitely the best arc in the series so far... I felt that even though we saw a lot happen during the game there were still 1000 strategies possible that we didn't see. I always got the impression gaya could have easily been far more than what it was. Had they had a better leader it is truly possible they would have extorted a lot of coins from one of the main players. Of course perhaps that is where they would have had issues due to all the people that advanced from the earlier virus outbreak round, there would have been no way for everyone to end up with at least 1 coin. Wish I could actually play the game but I guess finding a place to do it and people motivated to run that much would be extremely hard. I also get the impression the actual odds of stealing a chair would be much higher than the game suggested
    Seeing as the eliminated players have nothing better to do than to follow players to their chair hiding spots, you are right.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't really taking the extras in consideration (one square km is large but not huge either) but that is a great point. Why didn't the extras just follow people around? Granted, when they were followed they made a point out of losing however was doing it but how plausible would that be in real life? Realistically speaking they had some 10 or 20 minutes to get to their chairs and then get back to the base however while it is not a large enough space for the chairs unfound by other players it is definitely too large for normal people to have the sheer stamina to go to the chairs and return several times while also hiding. Perhaps there wasn't even enough time...

I guess the more important detail is that gaya did not bother actually tailing people to their chairs. Even 1 chair could be sold for a few coins. Gaya just acted stupid here on the notion that they couldn't do anything. I guess that if gaya had been smart there wouldn't have been a game though. Perhaps this was the reason they didn't intent on having that many people to the game originally, with a large group screwing the actual players would have been remarkably easy.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Kaitani cannot manage to write all of the characters as being simultaneous thinking individuals. As such, we get 3-4 characters out of 20 who are acting at a time and people blindly following them. I don't fault him for having trouble managing that many characters, but the solution to the problem is obvious: stop writing massive scale games.

New Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast