Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Kewl0210 Thread - Oh, the world's gone mad, now...

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Kewl0210 Thread - Oh, the world's gone mad, now...

Sorry this turned into a wall of text... I hope somebody reads it.

I think at this point maybe it's close to not overdoing it to make a translator thread at this point. It's like I'm comparing myself to these guys with 300+ translations and like 10 series. Really I've only done like 100 so far, not all posted here... I'm especially respectful to those guys who continue huge series for a long time, like Strangerataru, Bomber D. Luffy and Cnet and all those guys...

General Info
    Ok, about me... my hobbies include not talking about myself, which I hate... I can never think of what to say and it always sounds dull. I do plenty besides anime and manga stuff but it all seems so dull to talk about. I've had formal Japanese training for 3 years and at the time of this writing I'm in my sophomore year in college and I'm in my 4th year learning (some people seem to be surprised by this for some reason). My major's compsci, by the way, I don't major in Japanese in anyway, this is a hobby more than anything. Though most of my learning in Japanese is done auto-didactically, though. The only thing is I tend to spoil myself with dictionaries and not try to memorize things a lot, otherwise I'd be so much better. Recently I'm really trying to improve that and start memorizing meanings and readings and such, which is maybe why I've tried taking different projects, an I'm getting better with it. Mostly I know grammar the best because you can't do that through a dictionary program or site, most of the time, though I use a few sources to help me if I need help on something. Japanese can sometimes get tricky and have more than one possible meaning depending on context, especially with which person is the subject and the use of negative affirmatives that could also just be negative... And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Manga Projects
    In terms of manga series... I'm doing Konjiki no Gash!!, Toriko, Inumaru Dashi, Doubutsu no Kuni, HXH. I also did a few chapters of Bakuman for AkAtSuKi (which I quit... Had to forfeit sleep to do those chapters, they're more words than pictures. Now there are more groups doing this and some are doing them well enough that there's no reason for me to spend hours doing it anyway when I could translate something else.) (Now a bunch of other stuff, too) and tend to translate spoilers a lot, usually because it doesn't matter much if you get them wrong, since you can't really be too sure of what's going on nor if they're real. I've done some spoiler translations, some for HXH and some for D.Gray-man and One Piece. Also back in 2006-2007 when Konjiki no Gash!! chapters were coming out I used to translate those spoilers/chapters, but they were when I was really inexperienced and always were just for "giving the fans the jist of it, because nobody did full translations." I'm working on Raiku Makoto's (mangaka of Konjiki no Gash!!) new series Doubutsu no Kuni with my fansub/scanlation group Anime-Destiny. I also did the one shots that were released around the start of the series. I'm helping Bomber D. Luffy translate Gintama by editing his translations, too. And now I'm working with Mangastream on some stuff, too. Which seems to go on and off...

Anime Projects
    In terms of anime, I've translated a bunch in Konjiki no Gash Bell!!, but not whole episodes. Just parts that our original translator didn't get/know, or editing. Though I've been the head of Anime-Destiny doing the anime from episode 60~ to the end. I also am sort of trying to translate Yu-Gi-Oh! if the group I'm working with ever gets their act together. The first episode I did was in March 2009 and it still isn't done yet. But it's definitely being worked on... I that series sporadically depending on if there's any reason to think it'll finish getting fansubbed. I'm doing Bakuman for my group Anime-Destiny jointing with Tomodashi Subs, too.

Specific Projects (Series)
    ---Konjiki no Gash!!---

Really, my philosophy for what to translate is that if there's something that should be translated and no one else will, I have to for the sake of the fact that it should be. Isn't that a good enough reason, really? (Course I can't read or don't like everything, so I do need to take into account it having some popularity, some cultish following.) Like Konjiki no Gash Bell, originally, no group was doing it so I started to work in the group as a timer. Then later I slowly learned translating until I could get really rough ideas, then learned more about grammar and a lot more vocabulary, but I don't know a ton still. If you want to know more about that, it's on the FAQ at www.anime-destiny.org
    Konjiki no Gash Ball was the first thing that really got me into working on anime and manga, and I've always been amazed my the story, it's got everything and does it all so well.
    I finished this series in Fall '09, getting about 10 volumes out in just a few months, after we overcame some problems and got checking done quickly. So far it's the only series I've finished. Though now I'm working on the author's next work (see Doubutsu no Kuni below).

---Toriko---
    Toriko I started in the beginning because it was just ranked high in Shonen Jump and for some reason no one was able to actively translate it, so I thought "If I translated it, I'd be one of those guys that translates the Jump big 3. Except I wouldn't be 50 people." Also it was a manga I thought really should be done, it had an original stroy that created its own world and was intelligent and logical enough to be really interesting. So I started that at chapter 16 and have continued to the current chapters, I'm trying to do the early chapters and like a couple I missed, then do the omakes in the volumes so HQ versions of the beginnings can be done. Hopefully the later parts will be, too. Now it's getting and OVA, which generally leads to an anime, we'll see where that goes. I could just use my old translations for a fansub... Plus extra stuff in anime.
    Finished all the early chapters... now's the long process of trying to scanlate the early volumes on top of doing the current chapters weekly.

---Inumaru Dashi---
    Inumaru Dashi I was doing basically for fun. It's 44 chapters long but they're all 10 pages. So it's not too long, but has lots of references. I THINK it gets better later on... seeing as it's been in Jump's top 5 every week, despite weak tankoubon sales... But it has some good jokes, as a gag manga. And I know it has tons of Jump references later on. Like Gintama, except less late-edo-period Samurais and a lot more kindergartners not wearing anything below the waist.

---Doubutsu no Kuni---
    I started this when the series started, purely because of my dedication to Konjiki no Gash!!. I'm gonna try to keep up with this series since it's monthly, and we'll be scanlating it at Anime-Destiny. It is a good series and well involves Raiku's style which made his other series great.
    I'm scanlating this with my manga group, Hi Wa Mata Noboru now.

---Gintama---
    I work on this every week with Bomber D Rufi. Originally I edited his scripts and organized the scanlations. Now I'm basically translating them myself then checking over his for parts I can use, due to time constraints. It takes more time to check and edit someone else's work. This manga's gonna keep going forever. Just how I like it.

---Hunter X Hunter---
    So I'm doing this now, too, it seems. Hunter X Hunter is known for having really long hiatuses so Togashi can do it at his own pace for whatever reason he may have. Even so, when chapters do come out they're often really complex, especially in this arc, getting philosophical or theoretical rather than just talking about what happens clearly in the pictures or anything. I've been doing the spoilers for this series since 2007 after the long 1.8 year hiatus, though they were rough and I didn't bother to look things up or know enough to translate things well at the time, excluding the later ones from late 2008. I've really gotten into the series and now that I've started doing translating seriously I started translating this in December 2009.
    I'm going on and off with this as it goes on hiatus, though. I don't think I'm gonna do it anymore due to the pressure of having to do weekly manga.

---Kokou no Hito---
    This series I picked up because I thought the art style on the covers looked cool, and I really liked it. Very psychological and extremely unique even for a Seinen manga, I think. So I decided to scan it and translate it myself and try to catch up to the current manga despite being behind by over 100 chapters. I'm getting there though, because this series generally doesn't have much speaking.
    Finally caught up with volumes. Now I'm doing the issues in Young Jump.

---Enigma---
    A new Jump series I'm doing. It seems to be doing well and getting popular. It's logical and mystery, kind of a suspense series. It's really interesting in my opinion. So this ended. That was fun.

---Omoni Naitemasu---
    A series by the author of Karagehime. I'm doing this with Be With You Scans at the moment, but they seem to be too busy to do it so I might move to another group.

---3-Gatsu no Lion---
    A series by the author of Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey & Clover). I'm doing this with Be With You Scans when I have time.

---81 Diver---
    An awesome series about Shogi. I'm doing this with Mangatopia when I have time.

---Billy Bat---
    I started this after Molokidan stopped. So everything from 54 onward. I've done more than half of it now. It's a great series. I do it when it's not on hiatus.

---Hito Hitori Futari---
    A series by Takahashi Tsutomu, who did Skyhigh, Sidooh, Blue Heaven and Jiraishin. It's a fairly easy series to translate I'm doing with Illuminati-Scans.

---Jojo's Bizarre Adventure---
    I've done everything from Steel Ball Run (Part 7) onward. I worked with Jojo Project for Part 7 and I'm working with a few other people in the community to do Part 8.

---Innocent---
    A series by Sakamoto Shinichi, author of Kokou no Hito. It's about revolutionary France and the executioner Henry-Charles Sanson. I'm doing it as the tankoubons come out.

Translating Philosophy
    My philosophy in terms of translating, I try to be as close to the original Japanese as I can while still being vernacular. I try to keep the flow of the sentence, though you need to change that to be vernacular a lot of the time. And I'm trying to be a bit less literal and find more vernacular ways to write some kinds of sentences without losing connotation or meaning. I've got a lot of experience in fansubbing, so I know what to look for to make things sound in character and grammatically vernacular. I'm really opposed to losing meaning for the sake of being vernacular, if you need to put a note, then put one. It honestly makes no sense to me that people find that annoying... I'd only leave something untranslated if it loses connotation in English, like a name or a distinct proper noun . Occasionally other things if it's central to the plot and has no English equivalent, but more often than not you can just translate those sorts of things and it won't make a difference, so it's a case by case thing. I try to keep things that transition to English well translated. And I use American spellings. Really I'm fairly sure the differences have to do with accent, so they were changed when America was settled. But it still seems more natural the American way, though it doesn't come up much. Also the American spellings are used more internationally. English is the language known by the most people in the world, anyway, if you count non-native speakers. So forgive me if you use/like British spellings.
    In terms of what projects I do, I generally only pick stuff up if I really like it and it's not getting translated at all, or translated well/consistently at the moment. I do make sure I know where I'm being too ambitious and limit myself from trying to do something so complex or difficult it's out of my league. Which at this point usually just means too many projects... And I don't try to beat out people who have more experience and better knowledge at something than me. It's more logical and efficient to leave those jobs to people who are already qualified and willing, which is what you need to be to be a good translator.
    I've always made it part of my philosophy to help do something that I think should be done, if no one else will, someone should do what they think deserves to be done.

Ok, so I've probably wrote a ton of stuff now. I just felt like making one of these, probably nobody's gonna read it. And I wrote it as it came into my head, (but I've since edited it a bit) so you know it has tons of run-on sentences and sentences that begin with "just" and "but" and "probably" unnecessary commas and things like that where it doesn't make sense, it's just for the sake of softening things... But I figured since I've got a lot done on MH at this point I could make one and it wouldn't be too presumptuous. Eh... I'll check this once and a while, I'll answer things if you wanna ask them.

I updated it a bit, tried to make it less rambling and more organized, too. Woo...
    Last edited by kewl0210; August 25, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lingwe's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Kewl0210 Thread - Oh, the world's gone mad, now...

Hey you got a bit on the end of your title and wrote an even longer wall of text than I did!

Big thanks for doing Toriko, it'll be cool in a few years time if it gets as big as what the series like One Piece and Naruto in the international audience, that way you can look back and say 'hey I was translating this since nearly the beginning of the manga and before it was all popular and stuff'.

Quote Quote:
    And I use American spellings. Really I'm fairly sure the differences have to do with accent, so they were changed when America was settled.
    Well actually...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_We...and_dictionary

Quote Quote:
    Slowly, he changed the spelling of words, such that they became "Americanized." He chose s over c in words like defense, he changed the re to er in words like center, he dropped one of the Ls in traveler, and at first he kept the u in words like colour or favour but dropped it in later editions. He also changed "tongue" to "tung."

...so his dictionary introduced American English spellings, replacing "colour" with "color", substituting "wagon" for "waggon", and printing "center" instead of "centre". He also added American words, like "skunk" and "squash", that did not appear in British dictionaries.
    The differences in American and British English arise because of this man, Mr Webster (as in the Webster dictionary). Basically he believed that people should 'own' the language, and that the english aristocracy had taken control of english in britian. So changing the spelling of American words was basically more in the 'anti-british' mindset from the time.

Quote Quote:
    But it still seems more natural the American way, though it doesn't come up much. Also the American spellings are used more internationally.
    Suuuuure. Nah, I'm just having you on .

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey kewl. I remember you from nexgear where you often (used to) post translations and spoilers. I was always greatly appreciate of your stuff as you did it and still do it with dedication.

Nice to see you enjoying yourself. Keep up the good work!

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread you got kewl. Thanks for all the help on the Gintama, I don't know what I'd do without you some weeks. (Especially when my sleep deprived brain makes stupid, stupid mistakes.) Honestly I look up to you more than you probably look up to me.

Thanks for the Toriko, and yeah I can understand walls of text. *Sighs and stares at Gintama backlog.*
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

K. I'll try to look through your translations a bit more, then... Glad to see Gintama's getting some of its holes filled in, finally. And it seems Maximum 7 is getting back into it, continuing from Volume 8 or whatever they were up to.

I should organize that first post a bit better...
    I put stuff in bold to keep people aware of what subject I was at.
    Last edited by kewl0210; August 25, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Sorry this turned into a wall of text... I hope somebody reads it.
    I've read it! Although it is several months later. Also I had to look up the word "vernacular". First time hearing it. XD

First of all, very big thanks for what you do. You have translated one of my favorite Shounen Sunday Series of all time in Gash. Just read the last chapter today and I'll really miss it.

Are you translating all of Makoto Raiku's one shots as well or just his new series in Bessatsu?

I also must thank you for translating Toriko which is one of my favorite series running in WSJ currently. I'd love for it to get more attention from the online community but I always had the feeling it may not appeal to certain others. Mainly a large portion of those that read Naruto and Bleach but eh. I've already seen the "art" excuse that people often use against One Piece.

The beginning scans really aren't exactly of the best quality so if you manage to release HQ versions of those in the future it would do a world of good.

I admire those that manage to get the Japanese language under their belt. I have enough reference material to learn it but sitting down and doing so on a consistent basis has been an issue for me. At best, I've got the Katakana and Hiragana down. While recognizing some Kanji. How did you motivate yourself in the beginning?
    Last edited by Rejuvenation; October 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Will you be dropping Bakuman from you weekly translations now that MS has stopped editing this series? You have chapter 100 reserved for MS but it's not going to happen so will you be changing that to free public scan use?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner max mahito's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    I can never think of what to say and it always sounds dull. I do plenty besides anime and manga stuff but it all seems so dull to talk about.
    So, that's the reason you're always reserved while talking, then?
    Anyways, Nice thread.Took sometime to read it though xD

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

As an anime/manga fan myself, i was wondering if you would consider doing a reasonably well known japan only manga called Magical Taruuto-kun. I have already found raw files of the manga, but i desperately need a translator (i haven't learned japanese yet XD). if you do decide to translate the series, the manga raw files are here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?f=2MTG2TQ1

if you are able to translate this manga thank you very much!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner shades7000's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey I can scanlate Inumaru Dashi for you if you want, I just need some volume RAWS. I've tried looking EVERYWHERE but the best I can come up with is random chapters, not a full volume of this to be found which is a shame. So if you do have the volume raws for this, give them to me as I would love to work on this series. Even more so considering this is getting a anime very soon.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lunacat's Avatar
    Country
    Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

kewl-sama
    arigato for translating Toriko, it's a tough one,
    gambate kudasai^^

New Reply