Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Nana by Ai Yazawa

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nana Discussion

Well for those looking for a light read of course you wouldn't choose NANA.
    It's all about the two characters and their world, and you read them because you relate to them, unlike unreal settings where half the reason you read is because of an interesting new world perspective given you.

NANA is considered josei manga, and its target readers are the young female adults. If you were such a young female adult, you can definitely empathize with the characters because their situations are so real some of them might have happened to you.

That's what I love about NANA. That things are so real, they are so exactly how women behave. Mind you, it's just one of the three manga to make me cry like a girl (although I am a girl). If it's an emotional rollercoaster like you say it is, hell definitely it was written that way.

I suggest you give it another chance. Volume 2 is only about Nana Komatsu's first boyfriend and that's not even half the story. Remember there are two main characters involved and by that time, the other Nana hasn't been introduced yet. I tell you, when the other Nana is revealed you'll love it. She's the clincher, if you ask me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member sojiroseta98's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miso
    I just realized that it has already reached volume 15 in Japan! Never expected that. In Germany it has four volumes so far and I thought that was it.

Nana is surely unique. I can say that although I don't intend to read it further. Either you like the emotional rollercoaster or you don't.
    But nevertheless it's something special and not a stereotype manga..
    17 actually jus came out a few weeks ago i love nana its like a drug i swear
    "You can tame a dog with food, you can tame a person with money, but nothing can tame a miburo"
    "A man who can't uphold his beliefs is pathetic dead or alive."

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on volume 4 right now, waiting on volume 5 to come out I think this month, but since it takes so long for them to come out in America (it's been a year and a half since volume 1!) my enthusiasm for it isn't as high as it was. It's still the only shoujo title I really read, though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Siedhr's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

GK, there are scanlations for Nana up to the current chapter and the scanlation group dows a very good job with them.

I really like this one as well, though I'm a bit confused by the latest chapters. So does it jump from the present to the future (where Nana sings in a Londonese bar), or am I mistaken?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member sojiroseta98's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    I'm on volume 4 right now, waiting on volume 5 to come out I think this month, but since it takes so long for them to come out in America (it's been a year and a half since volume 1!) my enthusiasm for it isn't as high as it was. It's still the only shoujo title I really read, though.
    yeah actually if u go to any torrent downloading site like torrentspy.com u can actually find them all the way till 15 in a package so do it up ur missing out...although since ur only that far i suggest u just watch the episodes subbed since they're at like 33 (i'm not sure cuz i quit watching back at episode 17 when i found out that the manga was WAY further (i'm impatient) so i suggest you watch as much of the anime as you can cuz if u read those mangas it'll ruin it for you...and if you don't wanna d/l em or can't they're on youtube ight

since i'm such a nice guy here's a link to the manga

http://mangatracker.kicks-ass.net:69...38d843a781f765

and here's the best site for nana related things including the live action movie 1 and the upcoming second one
    (i hope u knew there's a live action movie)

http://lovenana4ever.cjb.net/

as u can see

i trully (and maybe saddly) am nana obssessed lol
    "You can tame a dog with food, you can tame a person with money, but nothing can tame a miburo"
    "A man who can't uphold his beliefs is pathetic dead or alive."

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

This manga was pretty cool at the very beginning but by around volume 10 or so it started going in circles. While I don't mind the whole roller coaster thing that people talk about, by the 5200th hill it got really boring. I got as far as the
    Spoiler show
    and then I gave up. It was all of the chapters that were out at the time and I was actually pretty glad that's all that there was since that manga was just painful to read. It should've wrapped up somehow in 12~14 volumes but now it's so ridiculously open ended that I just don't see myself following it.

The Nana movie was pretty good, but only if you've read the manga and know what's going on -- I don't see anyone who hasn't read the manga watching the movie and knowing what's really going on .

Also, the song Tracking Treasure Down by Gabriel and Dresden (I... think?) for some reason always makes me think of the Nana manga. I don't know why ~_~

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well for someone who's been reading the manga up to the current release, the movie for me was definitely a very exact adaptation, up to the finest details of their clothes. It's nice to hear that point of view though.

@Siedhr, yes, the story kind of jumps from past to present, that actually, the one we're reading is the past that slowly explains the surprise jumps of the present. (did i make sense?)

Even for online reading though (or reading off scanlations), the progress is quite slow. It's about one chapter per month and that really bums me because the latest chapters (of Vol 17) are really cliff hangers and I can't sleep thinking about the character developments, especially now that the present is unravelling.

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I share the same sentiments! Nana is truely a roller coaster ride - very drama like.
    It is so good that it affects your emotions without realising it, and I kind of went into minor depression for a while. The relationships depicted here is just too realistic, that sometimes when you read manga, you don't want to see such things. But I guess we can also choose what we want to read.

Anyway, the current scanlations for this is up to Chapter 64 (which is around Vol 16). Check this website <a href="http://destined.to/takoyakis"> takoyakis </a> for more info.

▲Away till end June. ▲

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nana is up to chapter 65. Just released. ^_^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bakashijinsan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to agree with some of the people here saying that Nana's been going on in circles. True, it's quite good but then, after I've read the late volumes (10 and up), I got tired of Hachi's character. I love following Blast's success. I believe that's one of the main reasons, I got up to Volume 12. I wanted to see what happens to the band.

Is it a guy thing that makes me annoyed at how Hachi led her life? Coming to Tokyo and all and then ending up like that? Coz this made me stop reading. I just finished it up to Volume 12 just for the sake of finishing the Volumes that I downloaded.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, Hachi was a very stupid character at the start of the story. And it's not just you who got annoyed with her, even the characters in the story (Junko, for one) got annoyed with her whimsical attitude. But in the later volumes, (later than vol.12 I think) she does develop a sense of self.

Spoiler show

Put the spoiler tag for you. I'll PM you on how to do it ~ Ayah

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree too. I thought the character development was quite well done.
    Hachi can even accept Takumi's womanising ways...i really 'surrender' to that kind of mentality protrayed there. But then, this also happens to some of us..
    I'm just waiting to see how the story will end, super curious as to who she'll end up with.

▲Away till end June. ▲

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bakashijinsan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying she won't be sticking out with Takumi? I thought she had already made her decision firm? If that's how it goes

I'm thinking

Spoiler show

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah. I think it's decided.

Spoiler show

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll have to settle with the Nana scanlations eventually. It's really ridiculous how long we have to wait for the next Nana volumes om America ( but I guess it's because they're serializing it in Shojo Beat. )

I don't mind if it's going in circles, just as long as the dialogue and situations are still realistic. I mean, it's to be expected with a manga like this anyway, if it wants to keep going, they have to keep the characters from finishing their stories and wait 'til they're just tired of writing/drawing it any further and decide to end it with satisfying endings.

New Reply
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast