Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Nana by Ai Yazawa

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nana Hangout Thread

I agree. It's very close.

Even the first movie was very close to the manga, up to the costume designs and vivienne westwood hehe. I loved Mishka adams as Nana O.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished reading all the way to chapter 84. I'm seriously hooked on the story. I also watched all 47 episodes of the anime, but I haven't watched the movies yet. At first I only was interested because I loved Kagen no Tsuki, and the only reason I read that was because I saw the movie, and the only reason I saw the movie was because of Hyde being in it. But I'm glad I got into reading Nana. I can't wait for the next chapter to come out.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Fujihara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nana 84 Discussion/85 Predictions Threads

@baboysai-- I still think present Hachi is much more growed up than past Hachi, so the further back you go, the "weaker" you could call her. Right now, I likes Hachi lots.

As for mental stability, no issues there as Hachi is the normal one. Normal people grow up over time, unlike Nana. :/

If Shin doesn't go to Reira, I will shoot him. Oh wait, I like the kid. I will hug his head and squeeze until it explodes. Anyway, he better get off his ass and go to her or I will be annoyed.
    Last edited by Fujihara; June 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
    藤原利男や。よろしく

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Quote Quote:
    The August issue of Shueisha's Cookie magazine has announced on Friday that manga creator Ai Yazawa is putting her NANA series on hold due to a sudden illness. As a result, this issue did not run its scheduled installment of NANA. Since Yazawa will need several months of treatment and rest, NANA will also not appear in the September issue (which will ship on July 25) or later issues until further notice.

Cookie's editorial department offered its apologies to NANA's readers, and added that NANA's return has not been scheduled yet. Once the editors can confirm Yazawa's recovery, they will notify their readers of the manga's return through the magazine itself, the magazine's homepage, the official NANA website, and other means.

Viz Media will publish the 17th of NANA's 21 current volumes in North America next month, and it is also releasing both the television anime adaptation and the two live-action film adaptations. Yazawa was scheduled to appear at the Japan Expo convention in France next week, but Japan Expo announced on June 12 that she had to cancel due to health problems. NANA was on hiatus from June to November of 2007 while Yazawa recuperated from another illness and the resulting operation.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...due-to-illness

"Hiatus expected to last several months, starting with current Cookie issue"
    Spoiler show

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Himemo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nana's Ai Yazawa Puts Manga on Hold Due to Illness

Noooooo! *cries*

Get well soon, Yazawa-sensei! So sad. Hope she's okay.
    Icon by Cheese Tart

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

NOOOOOO
    This is not a great way to start my weekend.... i was so looking forward to the ending.. What is she down with?

▲Away till end June. ▲

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting us know, Phoenix Wright. But this is terrible news!

I haven't been able to find what the illness is yet, but anything that would cause her to go on hiatus for "several months" must be pretty serious. I hope she recovers as quickly as possible!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww, I was really looking forward to chapter 85 coming out soon. I guess I need to find another manga to start reading.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Jabberwocky's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

She could just be overworked and needs a vacation.
    Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MissYuki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no!>< I was wondering why Chapter 85 hadn't been released yet! Get well Miss Yazawa...

To your blessed destruction

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Geehhhh... well, if she's sick, she's sick. If she spends the time recuperating and comes back better than ever then it's all good. I just hope she leaves some notes behind in case of Author Existence Failure. Just saying

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Fujihara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Cookie fan site, because there's a section where you can write fan-mail to the authors. In other words, it's possible to send "get-well" e-mails. It's these kinds of times we must show our emotional support as fans, and let the artist know that we're behind her 100% and that we wish for their health.

Quote Quote:
    矢沢先生へ、

こっちはナナのファンで、ハワイ主ですので、詳しく分からないが矢沢先生が病気してしまって、ネットで聞いています。病気は大変ですね。よく身体を休んでくださいませ。世界中ファンの俺達は大人しくお待ちして、応援します。いつたってもナナの続きを待ちますので、無理せずに楽にしてください。

矢沢先生は早くよくなりますように祈っています。

To Aizawa-sensei,

I am a fan of Nana and being a Hawaii resident, I cannot know in detail but through the net I've heard you have come down sick. That is very worrisome. Please take good care of your body. Us fans from around the world will wait patiently and cheer you on. No matter how long it takes, we'll be waiting for Nana's continuation so please be at ease without forcing yourself.

I am praying for Aizawa-sensei's speedy recovery.

藤原利男や。よろしく

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Phoenix946's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd see what this Nana was seeing as how amazingly popular it apparently is and I had never read any Shoujo. Read the first few chapters and found it pretty ok, but real life in fiction isn't my thing, enough of that in real life already.

Reason for this post though, is it me or are their legs freakishly thin? That seriously freaked me out, reminded me of Nagato in Naruto, who is supposed to be the living embodiment of pain and suffering. And in this manga it's apparently normal?

And why do all the 'cool' and 'adult' people smoke? Only exception as far as I read was Junko.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Himemo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phoenix946! Thanks for trying Nana! (Hmm, I sound like a salesperson.)

I think the legs are just Ai Yazawa's style. A lot of stylized shoujo does that, makes their characters insanely tall and thin (see: CLAMP). IMO it's a reflection of the thin-obsessed fashion world. Want to make your characters look cool? Make them look like they've never eaten. Yay. I think Ai Yazawa's characters tend to look a lot like fashion sketches. I'd be curious to see if she ever studied fashion design, actually.

As for why all the characters smoke, I think it's a fairly realistic representation of rock band culture. All of my friends who are in bands smoke, I think. I'm not sure if the timeline of the manga has ever been established, I know the anime put it in 2001, but I'm not positive of the dates in the manga. But I've always that of Nana and Hachi as born in the early 80s like me, and the rest of the characters born in the late 70s. While I'm not sure if it's the same in Japan, the late 70s/early 80s born generation tends to be much heavier smokers than most, I think. Most people I know around my age either smoke or have smoked, while the people I know younger and older tend to have a much lower rate of smoking. It's not healthy or a great example, but I personally would have found it very unrealistic if those characters didn't smoke. Also, although it is certainly starting, I don't think smoking has been as vilified in Japan as it is in other countries. So that might make a difference.
    Icon by Cheese Tart

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Phoenix946's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you don't try to sell me anything

Hmm, sounds rather plausible on the legs, but wouldn't that mean only the girls are like that? Since cool looking guys are certainly supposed to have some body to show.

The rock band sounds fair enough, not sure why but it does seem 'normal' to smoke in such a life (although there too, the nervous guy band member didn't smoke iirc?). But if we're talking a simple cause by generation, it doesn't make sense that Nana, Junko and Shouji don't smoke imo. Again I only read the first few chapters so I don't know if later introduced characters oppose this.

I don't know, might be me but it comes across as giving pretty wrong examples of what is supposed to be cool. Easily influenced people could start thinking you're cool if you're an anorectic chain smoker.

New Reply
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast