Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boys Love Anime

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Boys Love Anime

I'm currently drooling over the trailer for the Ai no Kusabi remake.

Given, I've never read the original novel but the OVA made in 1992 is a real classic and one of my anime favorites (not just of the BL genre). Take out the BL element and you have an awesome dystopian story on it's own already, with a wonderful soundtrack.

Is anyone else into BL anime and wants to join the fangirling?

What's your favorite BL anime? I'd say that mine is Yami no Matsuei for the AAAHs as well as Gravitation for the LULz (both great AMV's, btw). I'm not much into the 'hard stuff' and more than the boy-on-boy part I need story and/or comedy to enjoy it.

I really loved the Mirage of Blaze TV series and OVA but it lacks... smex... I want more! It has great story potential but drags too much, particularly the TV series. Same with Sukisho/Sukisyo which has a great background story. But aside from the beginning and the end it rarely goes into the actual plot and shows way too much boring school games. Seriously, that one could have been awesome if the focus was the psychological mess of the protagonists and not the overdone comedy :/

Adding a list of yaoi/shounen-ai animes (OVAs and TV series).

Spoiler: List in alphabetical order show

Moderator message by: Asclepius
    updating opening post with anime list
    Last edited by Asclepius; September 20, 2011 at 03:06 AM.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boys Love Anime

O.o man i wish i had join here sooner cause i could have made more BL friends.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess my favorite would be Gravitation, but I haven't seen that many BL anime, unforunately. Yami no Matsuei was also good. I watched a bunch way back when I was in college, but can't remember the titles (something about a boy on a swim team?). I do remember Kaze to Ki no Uta, which was wonderful. Recently, all I have watched is Junjou Romantica, which comes on too late at night and Loveless, which was interesting but the ears bother me.

By the way, Ai no Kusabi looks interesting. I don't care for the art style too much, but I'd definitely watch it.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only BL anime that I have ever watched were Gravitation and Mirage of Blaze (OVA and series).

Mirage of Blaze had an interesting concept, although I found the basis of the plot to be rather confusing. (This is perhaps because I only watched the English dub. ) I had to go online to find out what the background was to make any sense of what the characters' motivations were. The love scenes in it seemed rushed and did not flow very well. (I assumed this was because of the dubbing, but given eni's critique, I think it may have actually been just the way it was originally written. )

Of the two, I much preferred Gravitation. I like the pop music, and the characters were all endearing in their own ways. Some were cute (e.g., Shuuichi and Ryuuichi); some funny (e.g., Mr. K and the other manager guy); some just cool (e.g., Yuki and Hiroshi); but pretty much all of them were likeable. (I didn't care much for Tohma though. ) All in all, it was a fun experience to watch. The love scenes were cute but not too explicit (just the way I prefer it ).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not into bl but I do watched this 3 series. One day while I was watching Antique Bakery ( I thought its a normal shoujo or just drama kinda anime) my dad walked in when the guys were flirting or something like that and he goes, "What the heck are you watching?" OMG. I was so embarrassed but then I managed to chase him out of the room. Anyways, I actually like that series and the other one that I like is Junjou Romantica. BUT my ultimate favorite is CLOSE THE LAST DOOR. There's just something in that series that makes me feel like I am not watching/reading same sex bl story but a love story.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ulrica's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a pity there is not much BL anime
    L'harmonie la plus douce
    est le son de la voix de celle que l'on aime

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Used to watch the Shounen-ai, but now watched more harder stuff as well. BL anime released in OVA are usually the harder stuff, M18 animes. The most recent I watched is Hundred Days Rozen. As for TV version I like Junjou Romantica the most, hopefully there will be more of such BL animes.

I wish Togainu no Chi or Lamento can be animated too. The manga seralised in B's Log magazine is totally clean, one of the few possible candidates for TV anime.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 3loooy's Avatar
    Country
    Madagascar
    Post Thanks / Like

man where do i start. I'm an addicted person when it comes to BL. I watched every BL anime in the web i read manga.
    Gravitation loved it but it was to hard for me.
    Mirage of Blaze TV series and OVA wished for more romance.
    Ai no Kusabi saw it loved it, too hard , but want to see the new one.
    Junjou Romantica want to see season 3. loved it big time.
    Loveless lost in the middle of the season.
    bokono sexulahrasment loved the story line but hated the harassment.
    i cant remeber them all but i'm welling to see more.

hope you like it

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest news, Togainu no Chi is being animated!!! TV anime, no hardcore stuff. Have not announce when it will be aired, likely this year!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

*fangirlscreams*

REALLY???!!! o_______________O

Oh wow, oh wow, oh woooow....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ally-announced
    ohohoho~

Oooooooooh, there's a teaser already:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwy7kzH2TDM

This is aaaaawesome!
    Last edited by eni; April 03, 2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

WAIT?! Did I see characters actually MOVING?

You never get this sort of budget for a shoujo anime, let alone a BL one. Since Aniplex's logo is at the corner, A-1 Pictures might be working on this. I mean, a few series that has a large fangirl following sold pretty well. Junjou Romantica managed to break 10k despite its non-existant animation, Hetalia which is practically just an animated 4-koma series reached 28k, Kuroshitsuji breaking 20k with a good budget. (All sales number based on first volume of the DVD).

I'm going to look out for this. The animation looks too good to be ignored. Sure it's just the trailer, meaning the animation quality would be better then the usual episode.

I wanted a totally girly sigature...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see based on WHAT they actually animate it.

Aside from the game, there are two manga interpretations and one of them has not a single trace of Boys Love in it. It's like reading a action Seinen with pretty boys. If they wanted to, they could easily try to grab more people than just the yaoi fans

Though, I don't know how successful that particular manga is.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

From the trailer, looks like it'll have some shounen-ai elements. You know... some of the images are rather "suggestive"... xD

When will it be released?

this is the only thread where i can display my sig without worry...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

But isn't this a TV series? The TV run would probably be censored, similar to Junjou Romantica.

Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru anime is airing this season. I heard strictly speaking, it's not a BL series (I'm going to watch it once the raw is out). Despite Uragiri isn't strictly BL, non-BL fans are calling it BL and asking why is Seki in voicing in a BL series. Honestly, even if they made Togainu no Chi 'BL-less', it wouldn't increase the amount of people watching it by much. They probably would just tone down the hardcore BL like Junjou Romantica to let it air on TV.

Talking about Junjou Romantica, I just found out Mizuki Nana actually voiced a minor character (only appeared in one episode). Why the HECK did the queen of seiyuu voiced a minor character in a BL anime...it really boggles the mind.
    Last edited by saladesu; May 09, 2011 at 08:57 AM.

I wanted a totally girly sigature...

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends also on the time they'd air it. What daytime was JR aired?

TnC has a different target group as JR, imho. The content is already a lot more violent and explicit in the original media. Sure it won't be as hardcore as the game but there's a good change of it being in the upper area of what's allowed on TV (at night) - which is enough for me. I don't need the explicit stuff

And then there's also a high possibility of a uncensored version on DVD. Although, it was merely removing shadows with JR but it does make a different on the whole viewing experience, fufu~

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast