Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The true role of Eustass Kidd

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

The true role of Eustass Kidd

It seems a lot of people see Kidd as an ally to Luffy. However, I don't see how such an argument could be made. While the two did happen to find themselves fighting a common enemy, I do not think this indicates any sort of alliance. Kidd is an insidious character. He kills innocent people. Luffy doesn't even kill evil people.

I think Kidd will be a major antagonist in the future. I could even see him using his powers to manipulate Franky or to remove Zoro's swords. What do you guys think his role will be in the future?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member St Michael's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The true role of Eustass Kidd

I personally don't (want to) see him as a future main antagonist. He seems quite weak to me.

But obviously , Strawhats will have to fight him. I mean he's the biggest bounty among the rookies (haha not for long dude) and Killer is totally meant to fight Zoro.

I just hope he'll die quickly.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he will be a rival of the Luffy. Kidd will be a more aggressive rival than Law will be and maybe Kidd will cross the line between being a rival and being a villain (while I'm writing this I thought that I need to post again in the "is BB a villain"-thread...I'll do that in the next days ).
    I think it's pretty obvious that there will be a relationship between Law, Kidd and Luffy. While Law showed that he has some respect for his rival I don't think that Kidd would go as far as saving a rival (not to speak of the risk Law had to and the distance he haw had to travel). A clear evidence of the rivalry of the three crews is the perfomance they presented in front of the auction house.

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see Killer Vs. Zoro (that's destined to happen imo :d) but Kidd Vs. Luffy....hmmm not just yet. Maybe, in the near future but I can't see a full arc devoted to Kidd as a main antagonist. Will they meet again? YES!

Based on no evidence whatsoever, I ultimately see the Kidd Pirates as an important ally (in the latter stages of the NW) for the SH's.

Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno... His nature seems to provide counter-evidence to an alliance between the Kidd Pirates and the SHs. Just LOOK at him and tell me he doesn't look crazy and evil.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member frontaLobotomy's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

He wants to be Pirate King, so his crew are destined to fight the Straw Hat Pirates at some point. What he does in the build up to that battle is anybody's guess.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Kidd and Luffy hold similar goals and dreams in mind, but complete opposite methodologies IMHO. Why idk but I'd expect Kidd to enjoy causing bloodshed and fear. While that's the antithesis of the SH Philosophy. Both Kidd and Luffy are clearly destined to meet. But to what extent or in what capacity is almost impossible to imagine. They could indeed again find themselves allied in the name of mutual benefit.... But otherwise there's no way they don't face off...
    I'd imagine Killer and Zoro would probably be more than ready to face off....

It's on. Like Donkey Kong

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if Luffy is the new Roger.
    And Smoker is the new Garp to Luffy's Roger.
    Then ______ is the new Whitebeard to Luffy's Roger.

Kidd could fit this role, but then again he doesn't seem near hyped enough to look like he'll be good for any more than a single challenge. Maybe there'll be a crew merger between himself and another Supernova to make him appear more impressive. Or maybe another Supernova or pirate will be the WB equivalent.

Blackbeard is not the WB equivalent, he's too evil for Luffy to ever share a drink of sake with.

Oh, and I don't see the Kidd / Luffy alliance thing at all. Luffy already has enough allies, he needs some rivals already.
    Last edited by bittman; April 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno.... You seem to be assuming some pretty absolute parallelism, which is kind of a stretch. I don't think Luffy's journey needs to be so analogous to Roger's.

If you want to see it that way, though, Buggy could easily be Luffy's Whitebeard...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I am as well critical about the parallelism but if you go that way you should also find a Shanks to drink sake with WB. In fact I think to little is known about the Gol D. Roger age to make such comparisons

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Rivals that respects each other may end in some weird alliance. I don't see him as a huge enemy, but yes as rival. With that I think they will cross sometime and fight, but not for final fights or anything.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Before the Rescue Ace arc I'd predicted that Luffy would have to fight Kidd before going into the New World so as to prove himself the best of the Supernovae, but now... who knows?

Still, wouldn't be surprised if Kidd's crew ambushes the Straw Hats just as they're crossing the Red Line. They might all take different routes and never meet until the end of the Grand Line, otherwise, so if they want to beat the Straw Hats they'd have to do it there.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ~Buggy*Fly~ View Post
    Maybe, in the near future but I can't see a full arc devoted to Kidd as a main antagonist.
    Wouldn't you have said the same of Foxy, though? Straw Hats vs. Pirate Crew was really common back in the day with Krieg, Arlong, Kuro, etc. but now most arcs have been pretty long. I don't think that means we can't have another short one though. I don't think they'll just meet up ship to ship, but I could see it on an island somewhere. Islanders give Luffy meat, Kidd tries to steal from them, violence ensues.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Wouldn't you have said the same of Foxy, though? Straw Hats vs. Pirate Crew was really common back in the day with Krieg, Arlong, Kuro, etc. but now most arcs have been pretty long. I don't think that means we can't have another short one though. I don't think they'll just meet up ship to ship, but I could see it on an island somewhere. Islanders give Luffy meat, Kidd tries to steal from them, violence ensues.
    Kidd was given a lot of screen time... I can't see him filling such a small role. Maybe Urouge or Apoo or any of the other Supernovas, but Kidd and Law were presented with a high level of significance relative to the others. Oda has larger plans for them. I have a feeling we'll see some of the other Supernovas simply swallowed by the strength of the NW.

New Reply