Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Denizens of Fantasia

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SparkHunter13's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Denizens of Fantasia

Okay, I think we can all agree here, volume 34 has seen the world of Berserk turned completely on its head. With the layers of existence merging together, strange occurrences are taking place across the globe and people have been thrown into disarray. Amongst the chaos and upheaval, we have witnessed the advent of a great multitude of spiritual beings, many of them being directly related to real-world mythological creatures.

The purpose of this thread will be to categorise these spiritual beings as they are progressively introduced in the world of Berserk. An image of each creature will be included, as well as a link to the corresponding Monstropedia article detailing its nature and appearance.

Note: This is restricted to creatures with real-world mythological counterparts. Those purely of Miura's creation are to be omitted.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by SparkHunter13; August 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Additions/Corrections

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Umbra Wolf's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Denizens of Fantasia

Great Topic.

I suggest the second last creatures are some kind of house elves; with the broom anything; but that is just pure speculation.

To add at least one thing: These guys qualify as the classic Golem; don't you think?
    Add this if you feel that it's appropriate.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SparkHunter13's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Wolf View Post
    I suggest the second last creatures are some kind of house elves; with the broom anything; but that is just pure speculation.
    My best guess is that they're Brownies, benevolent elf-type creatures that help around the house. In fact, I don't know of anything else it could be, so "Brownie" it is (unless proven otherwise).

As for the lake/swamp-dwelling creature, I've still no idea. Any help with this one would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Wolf View Post
    To add at least one thing: These guys qualify as the classic Golem; don't you think?
    Add this if you feel that it's appropriate.
    Golems! Completely forgot about them, thanks.

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts about the "imp" creature. The reason being that imps were often regarded as servants of The Devil (Christianity) and there is almost certainly no Devil in Berserk. I think a goblin would be more fitting for this context, but I'm not entirely sure. Any thoughts on this?

Edit: No thoughts on the "imp"?

By the way, I've decided to switch the links from Wikipedia to Monstropedia, a site dedicated to mythological creatures, which offers much more comprehensive documentation.

Edit 2: Okay, I went ahead and changed the "imp" to a goblin. I'm still unsure about it, to be honest, but I think it's less likely to be the former than the latter.
    Last edited by SparkHunter13; July 07, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member L0ki's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that comes to mind with the name imp are the brown creatures that shoot fireballs in Doom. So I guess goblin is ok.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

i believe u forgot the incubus, from ch1i think

New Reply