Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Dragon Slayers Thread

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsu Dragneel

How come there is no thread for Natsu?

Beside the fact that he is a fire Dragon Slayer and that he has learned that from Igneel we don't know much about him (still waiting for Natsu background/Dragon arc to happen ). There is the question of his age and how he ended up alone in a forest in the first place when Igneel found him.

Also there is the scar he has on his neck, which is probably the reason why he wears a scarf

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

If Mashima bothers to draw a scar everytime he has his scarf off, it has to have some meaning.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Unlucky Boy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natsu Dragneel

About the scar- I think it's common for all the dragon slayers for some reason.

Gazille has similar scars on his arms
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/62/04/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/117/03/

Igneel too has many scars
    http://www.onemanga.com/Fairy_Tail/101/10-11/

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Then Wendy must have one too.

If all of them have similar scars then maybe that's how they get their DS magic, the dragons infuse them with it. Maybe that's why they couldn't pass the age barrier, the thing they are infused is older then 80 years .

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Solfy's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

That's actually a nice theory you got there, sir.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the scars are the result from their training. Dragon slayer magic gives the user the constitution of a dragon. That means dragon scales, dragon claws, teeth and a magical element based on a dragon. That said, for a dragon to teach DS magic it should be capable of using said magic. In that sense, DS magic is more than perfectly capable of causing said injuries to other DS. Basically the DS got the scars from their respective dragons when they were in training.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Maybe the scars are the result from their training. Dragon slayer magic gives the user the constitution of a dragon. That means dragon scales, dragon claws, teeth and a magical element based on a dragon. That said, for a dragon to teach DS magic it should be capable of using said magic. In that sense, DS magic is more than perfectly capable of causing said injuries to other DS. Basically the DS got the scars from their respective dragons when they were in training.
    Then why would Mashima try to hide them like that?
    I believe the scars are the result of the dragons entering their children's bodies in order to hide there.
    Wendy might have no scar because of her healing power or because Grandine has the power to turn into that ball of light or air and walk through her. That's probably how he got into Natsu and talked with Igneel.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Solfy's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Hah, I like this theory a lot too ! It sounds perfect.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unlucky Boy View Post
    Then why would Mashima try to hide them like that?
    I believe the scars are the result of the dragons entering their children's bodies in order to hide there.
    Wendy might have no scar because of her healing power or because Grandine has the power to turn into that ball of light or air and walk through her. That's probably how he got into Natsu and talked with Igneel.
    Grandine and Igneel little chat is after the ToP arc, Wendy was no where near Natsu and the scenery was mountains and caves, so i seriously doubt that the dragons are hiding inside them .

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soulbane_zp View Post
    Grandine and Igneel little chat is after the ToP arc, Wendy was no where near Natsu and the scenery was mountains and caves, so i seriously doubt that the dragons are hiding inside them .
    We dont know how far can Grandine go in that form (I believe the light ball is an astral projection or something of the sort, the real dragon is somewhere else), or even where did the group rest after the TOP exploded, it might be that Wendy was close to that place.

And the magic of DS converts the body of the mage to a dragon's consitution- a fiting place for a dragon to hide. Of course it is magic...the inside of the DS may look like anything...

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I also want to know from where Natsu knew Wendy. When she first appeared he was acting like he knows her from somewhere but couldn't remember.

I hope the next arc will be about Natsu, since he is supposed to be the main character but his story is the least developed so far. We had Grey arc, Lucy arc and two times ErzaxGerard. I think it's finally time for some Natsu story.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to believe that the dragons are hiding at places in their respective element. Igneel = Fire = Volcano, Granadine = Sky = Clouds/Atmosphere, Metalicana = Iron = Somewhere in the ground where iron is found like the mantle of the planet or something. But I do agree that there needs to be a natsu history arc soon besides that he was raised by igneel.....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member sabret00the's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I too subscribe to the theory that the Dragons are within their students. If you read the chapter (101) over, it just seems to make plain sense. You look at the dialogue and Grandine says she felt that Igneel was close by, but it's obvious Igneel isn't wandering. It would seem that for some reason, the Dragons have had to withdraw from the world, though the reason is what? I also think that it has something to do with Zeref? Is it possible that he's a dragon too? I'm also of the opinion that Gérard is a Dragon Slayer.

That said, Natsu is sheerly frustrating. He's been shown to be one of the strongest in Fairy Tail on several occasion, perhaps only bettered by the likes of Makarov. However, all of his power ups are only temporary. How is it that Ganjeel for example is an S-Class level mage and yet Natsu isn't? We're all forgetting that Natsu beat Luxus and has beat many of the enemies that have bettered Fairy Tail but the author seems to keep on coming back to this idea that Natsu only done it via a cheap temporary power up or through his power of friendship and using those same excuses for over 150 chapters is nothing short of boring. I also object to the fact that Natsu's temperament and maturity are being kept at that of a five year old in order to facilitate the gags of the manga.

The fact of the matter is, Gray is a cool character but he should be at least a tier below Natsu now. But it won't happen because it's handy for the gags that they're equal. How the fuck Ice Magic is supposed to be at the same strength as Dragon Slayer magic is beyond me, but whatever. Natsu should be on par with Elza (using the spelling that Mashima romanised in-story) right now at least, though I feel he should've bettered her by now. That said, I do think that Lucy should be keeping pace Natsu. Her strength should be visibly growing as she accumulates gold keys and the strength of her Stellar Spirits should be growing along with her. There should be an arc in the making where she'll be forced to up her own combat skills in order to better support her Spirits but I doubt that will happen because it's not very gag-useful to have her being strong and dependable.

All in all, when you look at this manga, it took the art work of One Piece, the fundamental principles of the story, upped the gag factor and kinda shot itself in the foot at that point. I'm sure that while Mashima is enjoying the merchandising money that he's undoubtedly raking in right now. And yes it's blatantly a motivating factor given the introduction of Charle. He has no intention of turning this into a great manga, merely a fun one for the kids that seems to want to actually not want to go anywhere. Congratulations to him, selling out your own manga is fun!
    Last edited by sabret00the; December 24, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
    *Have you taken a look at Onepunch-Man? You should consider it, it's a great manga!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Given how fond the mangaka is of temporary power-ups for Natsu, I've been wondering if the dragons have split their powers between their children and their cat companions. That way at the end Natsu gets to take power from Happy, then return it to get his friend back.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of the dragon slayer

I somehow seem to think that Natsu killing Igneel is impossible. The theory of Dragon slayers killing the dragons may be true. But it makes no sense that the fire dragon slayer could kill the fire dragon. The magics are equal in their element. They would simply eat each others magic.

I think that the Dragon slayer magic has something to do with the big badass black dragon that gildartz encountered on the 100 year quest. Perhaps he is an evil dragon that is pivotal to the story line and that DS humans need to kill. Maybe the dragons cannot hurt each other, but the DS humans can. So they train their own "Aspects" so to speak, so that they can team up and fight the big black dragon.
    It's also strange that Igneel was concerned about Natsu and Wendy meeting. I cannot remember the chapter number and cant search for it now, but it is odd.
    Maybe even Zeref is the Black DS. His magic does seem to revolve around death magic. Or dark/evil magic. Maybe the dragons cannot interfere with each other directly. Then the black dragon trains Zeref as a Dark DS, so the other dragons in order to maintain a balance train their own elemental DS humans to counter Zeref and his possible resurrection.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sollum's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of the dragon slayer

Well, the general idea of <creature>slayer is that the person possess special magic meant to counter <creature>.

At the moment I dont see how any of current Dragon Slayers are "slayers", apart from the ability to consume specific elements to restore his/her mana pool.

So i strongly assume that magic that Dragon Slayers use is simple Dragon Magic, whereas their true abilities will be shown later...

In some stories/plots, Dragons are spawns of darkness.
    First i thought that Ignell and the other DS teachers are just simple dragon renegades, BUT... i seen somewhere that dragons have a "king", and Grandine said something like "bla bla bla want to meet you at dragon king party bla bla", so i would assume that Dragon King is actually Zeref himself, since they cant meet him now, but will meet him when Zeref is released.

New Reply
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast