Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Dragon Slayers Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of the dragon slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sollum View Post
    Well, the general idea of <creature>slayer is that the person possess special magic meant to counter <creature>.

At the moment I dont see how any of current Dragon Slayers are "slayers", apart from the ability to consume specific elements to restore his/her mana pool.

So i strongly assume that magic that Dragon Slayers use is simple Dragon Magic, whereas their true abilities will be shown later...

In some stories/plots, Dragons are spawns of darkness.
    First i thought that Ignell and the other DS teachers are just simple dragon renegades, BUT... i seen somewhere that dragons have a "king", and Grandine said something like "bla bla bla want to meet you at dragon king party bla bla", so i would assume that Dragon King is actually Zeref himself, since they cant meet him now, but will meet him when Zeref is released.
    Well, it hasn't been seen but it has been repeatedly stated DS magic is specially effective against dragons. Also, the bodies of the DS makes it so that the body of the user turns into something like that of a real dragon. We have even seen scales, claws and whatnot from several DS.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sollum's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, it hasn't been seen but it has been repeatedly stated DS magic is specially effective against dragons. Also, the bodies of the DS makes it so that the body of the user turns into something like that of a real dragon. We have even seen scales, claws and whatnot from several DS.
    I agree on this, but...

I play lots of games and there's particularly one class that really amazes me - Anti-Mage. They also use magic to kill enemies, and specific magic against casters.

What i mean is that, lets take Natsu for example

"Dragon Slayer" Skills: Fists on fire, fireballs out of mouth, fire nova. Basic Fire Magic, but enchanted with some nasty stuff, like turning your lungs into the dragon lungs, for more fire power.

REAL Dragon Slayer techniques: Consume fire to replenish mana pool, "scales" that make you immune to fire and lots of stuff we dont know yet

In other words - What we see now is not full potential of Dragonslayer, because slayers need to have special skills to SLAY <creature>, what we see now is just Fire+Draconic Enchanted magic ramping all over the place and i really dont think that Ignell or <insert random fire dragon> will die from a fireball

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    In other words - What we see now is not full potential of Dragonslayer, because slayers need to have special skills to SLAY <creature>, what we see now is just Fire+Draconic Enchanted magic ramping all over the place and i really dont think that Ignell or <insert random fire dragon> will die from a fireball
    This is kinda what I was getting at as well. But even with their "True DS powers not being unlocked yet" I don't see Igneel dying to a fireball of any kind, regardless of how much Natsu grows. Both Natsu and Igneel can consume their element, regardless of the source and use it to power up. Now I would imagine that this ability has its limitations.
    As in natsu in his current growth state could not take a 100% power fireball from Igneel and still live. Because I would assume there is a limit to the amount of magic that they can consume.
    I also dont see a human growing in power to exceed an ancient dragon by that same power gap, that would make igneel overload from consuming Natsu's fireball.
    The scales make them immune to their element to a certain degree, based on their power as well. So the DS users would be in a stale mate with their teachers, but perhaps not quite a stale mate with a different dragon.
    I am also not convinced that the dragons have trained dragon slayers to eventually come and kill their masters (The whole self sacrificial martyr just does not make much sense) .

I think that there are good and bad factions within the dragons ranks, in some way. The dragon magic is ancient and only ancient magic can defeat a dragon, but there is some limitation on the dragon's themselves, that they cannot fight the evil dragon(s) directly. SO they train the DS users and give them the ability to wield the ancient magic that has the capability to kill a dragon.... The bad one(s).

Zeref being the dragon king? Plausible.
    Perhaps Zeref has somehow crippled the dragons against him many years ago. Then the dragons foresaw his return and made adequate preparations to battle him, the DS users.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of Natsu/ Dragon Slayers

It seems dragon slayers have some significance in edoras at this point. Wasn't it said they actually hold the power of dragons? I think the edoras people might be trying to gather the DS magic to harness dragon force. Perhaps we will see a few interesting things in the future. It also seems like the exceed do fear the DS though since they specifically wanted to kill them. Perhaps the queen is a dragon lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Zeref a Dragon Slayer?

Is Zeref a Dragon Slayer? Specifically, one of the Old Style like Natsu.

Dragons (even though they haven't really shown up) and their Dragon Slayers have been hinted at having a very important, even crucial role in the Fairy Tail plot. We still don't know exactly what his is, but since Zeref, the most evil and powerful mage in all of history is still alive (and has recently been formally introduced into the story), it's a very good bet the plot's going to be about stopping him.

A bit of direct evidence, in Chapter 208, when Zeref yells at Elfman and Evergreen to stay away, he has pointed teeth. This is a distinct feature of all 5 of the known Dragon Slayers we've seen.

Second, he seems to have a dragon counterpart as well. He was known as the "Black Mage", and before the Edolas arc we found out that Gildartz ran into (and got totally trashed by) a "Black Dragon". The Black Dragon doesn't seem quite so friendly to people as Igneel, Metalicana, and whatever Wendy's dragon was, and is obviously very, very powerful. A fitting partner/mentor for someone of Zeref's caliber.

All in all, seems probable.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purpose of Dragon Slayers

Igneel was not exactly friendly when we saw him/her though. Igneel was actually quite aggressive towards grandine. Who is to say igneel won't rip to shreds a puny human who dares to annoy him? At the moment it seems very likely zeref is indeed a DS and the purpose of natsu and the others is to indeed exterminate him. Zeref being a DS means a DS would be the ideal enemy for him.

I have been thinking about the fake DS too. What if the DS lachrima was also created for the purpose of fighting zeref?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fairy Tail 207 - 209 Discussion/ 210 Predictions

I've been meaning to post this since Sunday but I completely forgot.

Ok, so here are my theories about Zeref, Natsu and the Dragons and Dragon Slayers.

We know that Zeref gave birth to countless demons. We know that he knows Natsu. We know from what we've seen, that something doesn't add up to the tale of him being evil. We also know that he knows what Fairy Tail is (Oh this island is administrated by the guild?). We also know that Natsu has no recollection of him. We also know that Natsu kinda knew of Wendy's name. He was stunned to hear her name, like he was trying to remember something. We also know that Poliuska made a prophecy about 3 Dragon Slayers and Fairy Tail. More contents of that we don't know.

Now, what we don't know is how has all this happened.

Looking back, Zeref's, Wendy's, Gajeel and Natsu's clothing style is similar. They have older looking clothes. A style that probably comes from another kingdom or something. It's not normal to wear those clothes.

Now, we also know that the Dragons disappeared 7 years ago, on 7/7/777. What could it be that triggered their disappearance? Zeref awakening.

Now, Zeref mentions something about Natsu still not being able to break him. We know that Natsu wasn't able to pass the barrier, so this can only mean 1 of 3 things:
    Natsu has been shrunk into baby form because of extreme magical power use from before the current timeline. Probably centuries (400 years I think that it was mentioned during the Oracion Seis arc that the world was constantly @ war 400 years ago) Natsu, Gajeel, Wendy, other Dragon Slayers were fighting against the same person, Zeref, who was being controlled by someone.

Now where do the dragons fit in to all of this? Simple. They were the ones that had been raised by Natsu and co, and when they used all their power to either seal Zeref or destroy whoever it was who was controlling him, they reverted to their child form, with no memories @ the time (probably going to be awakened soon) and they were frozen in time, being monitored by the Dragons, and Zeref, now free from his controller.

Then when the time came, Natsu and the others woke up, an Igneel took care of him as a son, giving him back all the love that Natsu had given him when he was his master.

Natsu also doesn't have any recollection of what happened to him before Igneel.

Remember that Grandine said something about believing in the humans and... Zeref. So the guy can't be bad @ all.

Further on, we see that in Edoras, Natsu seems younger and Wendy seems older (well she is older). But here, Natsu seems older and Wendy seems younger, she is way too young looking for a 12 year old.

Basically, I'm saying what other people have said before, that Natsu, Wendy, Gajeel are actually centuries old and that they have a connection with Zeref.

Now another thing could've happened.

Natsu and the other Dragon Slayers belonged to a cult or tribe or something. Zeref was the leader of the group and started going mad. Natsu was the only one that could stand up to him and could fight him one on one, opening Zeref's eyes but not being able to save him, thus he ended up using all his power to send him to another land, unable to move to near people again.

One thing's for sure, I'm probably going to be wrong on both of them, but I'm sure it'll be epic.

8. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member meepers4982's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarutobi_sensei View Post

Ok, so here are my theories about Zeref, Natsu and the Dragons and Dragon Slayers.

We know that Zeref gave birth to countless demons. We know that he knows Natsu. We know from what we've seen, that something doesn't add up to the tale of him being evil. We also know that he knows what Fairy Tail is (Oh this island is administrated by the guild?). We also know that Natsu has no recollection of him. We also know that Natsu kinda knew of Wendy's name. He was stunned to hear her name, like he was trying to remember something. We also know that Poliuska made a prophecy about 3 Dragon Slayers and Fairy Tail. More contents of that we don't know.

Looking back, Zeref's, Wendy's, Gajeel and Natsu's clothing style is similar. They have older looking clothes. A style that probably comes from another kingdom or something. It's not normal to wear those clothes.

Now, we also know that the Dragons disappeared 7 years ago, on 7/7/777. What could it be that triggered their disappearance? Zeref awakening.

Now, Zeref mentions something about Natsu still not being able to break him. We know that Natsu wasn't able to pass the barrier, so this can only mean 1 of 3 things:
    Natsu has been shrunk into baby form because of extreme magical power use from before the current timeline. Probably centuries (400 years I think that it was mentioned during the Oracion Seis arc that the world was constantly @ war 400 years ago) Natsu, Gajeel, Wendy, other Dragon Slayers were fighting against the same person, Zeref, who was being controlled by someone.

Now where do the dragons fit in to all of this? Simple. They were the ones that had been raised by Natsu and co, and when they used all their power to either seal Zeref or destroy whoever it was who was controlling him, they reverted to their child form, with no memories @ the time (probably going to be awakened soon) and they were frozen in time, being monitored by the Dragons, and Zeref, now free from his controller.

Then when the time came, Natsu and the others woke up, an Igneel took care of him as a son, giving him back all the love that Natsu had given him when he was his master.

Remember that Grandine said something about believing in the humans and... Zeref. So the guy can't be bad @ all.

Further on, we see that in Edoras, Natsu seems younger and Wendy seems older (well she is older). But here, Natsu seems older and Wendy seems younger, she is way too young looking for a 12 year old.

Basically, I'm saying what other people have said before, that Natsu, Wendy, Gajeel are actually centuries old and that they have a connection with Zeref.

Natsu and the other Dragon Slayers belonged to a cult or tribe or something. Zeref was the leader of the group and started going mad. Natsu was the only one that could stand up to him and could fight him one on one, opening Zeref's eyes but not being able to save him, thus he ended up using all his power to send him to another land, unable to move to near people again.

One thing's for sure, I'm probably going to be wrong on both of them, but I'm sure it'll be epic.
    thats a really good analysis i was skimming through previous chapters and in almost every major arc we have some characters past revealed like with grey in the galuna arc, erza in the tower of heaven arc, lucys past was also mentioned somewhere too, and wendy with the oracion seis (somewhat). With natsu we only know a little bit and its not even that much and gajeel we dont know anything.
    I think along that with poliuskas predicton and the presence of gajeel, natsu, and wendy on the island is coincidence... and of course zeref . I hope we get an explaination as to why zeref is acting the way he is or why what we heard about him so far doesnt really reflect the character that we were presented with.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Igtenes's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty twisted that dragons would adopt kids and teach them magic that is specifically harmful to them, unless the purpose of the dragon slayers is to slay an actual dragon.
    Why is DS essential to stopping Zeref? Are all Dragon Slayers actually dragons themselves? Maybe Igneel is Natsu's real father and Natsu will one day take Igneel's place as the fire dragon.
    Gildartz did hint that Natsu is not human when he was talking to Happy, saying that no human could stop the black dragon but maybe Natsu could one day.
    There are so many ways this could go, but there are some very interesting theories in this thread.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

DS have been stated to have the power of dragons and to have bodies with characteristics of that of a dragon. They might never actually become giant lizards but I do think they are by all intents and purposes dragons. In that sense if there is a reason they were taught DS magic is that they are to slay either dragons or DS or perhaps both. I wrote something similar years ago in this thread if I recall.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarutobi_sensei View Post

ITS LONG BUT BEAR WITH ME PLEASE

couple of things to add. she didnt mention 3 dragon slayers, she was talking about drgon slayers in general.

also. remember the laxus arc, when natsu tried to get outside the barrier, it wouldn let anyone above the age of 80 leave the building, hinting at that natsu is over that age.

also dragon slaying magic is only learned from dragons and is a very anceint magic.

the biggest question is, why would dragons teach humans how to beat them? and why would they leave the children, when they raised them like their own?

my theory is that the dragons knew that they were going to do something terrible one day, so they trained the children how to beat them, and the reason they left them was because they wouldnt want their emotional ties get in the way of fighting.

i dont think zeref is the ultimate bad guy, i think he is the scapegoat for a much bigger threat. i think he was being controlled by someone or something. i also think he is the black dragon slayer, and the same thing that happened to natsu and the others happended to him.

this kinda reminds of the PS1 game legend of dragoon,, for all those who have played it. where the character rose, who wore the blaCK dragon armor and commanded the black dragon took the burden of doing terrible things to preserve the world by prevented a much worse enemy form coming and was branded the black monster by the very world she was protecting she did so until it was time for the rest of the dragoons anad the rest of the dragons were ready, whe the prophecy started to reveal itself. i said all that to say that zeref took the fall for omething more senester in the works.

like you said that natsu when natsu heard wendy, it was like he heard the name before. i think zeref just got more of his memory back than the others and tht how he remembers natsu. the reason he is crying is because he remembers natsu from the past and what good friend they were.

he said natsu was the only one who could stop him hinting at the natsu has done it before. the mystery surrounding the dragons and the slayers, im will to bet the guild tattorus(spelling?) has something to do with it.
    Last edited by chess4; November 04, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Igtenes's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I still don't think that Natsu and the other Slayers are human. Cobra mentioned in chapter 150 that dragon slaying magic was restricted to dragon's themselves, and that there was no conventional way for a human to simply be taught that magic.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

my prediction of zeref is that he is the dark dragon slayer and was once a good guy. i think he fought beside natsu, wendy, and gajeel long ago vs and even bigger threat and he took the fall to save the world.

what we know is that zeref is old but he doesnt like it. remember during the laxus arc, when natsu was trying to leave the and help fight, he couldnt because he was over 80 years old.

also when wendy was 1st introduced that natsu said wendy to himself like he had heard of her before. i think zeref just got more of his memory back.

i think long ago all the dragon slayers had to do something exteme to save the world, but zeref had to make the biggest sacrifice.

i also thought it funny why would the dragons teach people how to beat them?

my theory is that were involved in something a long time ago and that they would do something terrible again, so somehow the current slayers were reverted to children and had an anti aging spell placed on them. when the time was right the dragons took the children to train them. the reason they left them was because they knew they would have to face them in battle, so they didnt want any emotional ties holding them back.

I Think that tatorus is involved in the mystery behind the slayer

why does markorov have to survive. Laxus knows hi grandfather loves him and his his son is a lost cause.

its like in naruto when jaraiya was killed, he didnt have a chance to talk to naruto or make ammends with him or when the 3rd hokage was killed in orachimaru's raid.

most of the great manga's have a great death in them. remeber the cats vision of natsu and the other girls crying. someone dies and i cant see mishima killing off someone really important to the story like the one of the slayers or grey.
    Last edited by chess4; November 04, 2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member subaru daemon's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

am I the only one who thinks that Natsu, Wendy and Gajeel are actually Dragons instead of Dragon Slayers?

I mean, when Natsu fought with Cobra he said something about he, as a "new style" dragon slayer (with Lacryma), was an original dragon slayer, and someone being teached by dragon was "quite unbelieveble".

So, we also know that Natsu and the other DS have more then 80 years old by the Fairy Tail Tournament arc, when Natsu and Gajeel couldn't get pass by the enchantment on the guild. And Zeref seems to mean Natsu for long time. Considering Zeref a very "old" mage, old enough to be a legend to be told, Natsu could be as old as him. And like @sarutobi_sensei said, their clothes (except for wendy) ressembles something really old if you compare with their companions.

So why do I think Natsu, Gajeel and Wendy are dragons? Well, the manga left some clues to us. First, they ultimate attacks (mainly when in Edoras, when the three of them unite they ultimate powers) make real dragons appear "as spirits" or something like that. Natsu talk about Igneel being his father (we know it as an adoption, but why cant he is actually his father?). The three of them can morph dragon-like parts on their bodies (like scales). They can eat their respective element (I mean, how can someone teach a kid to eat fire? I think that someone have this power since his birth, it isnt something to be teached). And they have more then an ordinary people's age (deducing that Natsu have more then 80 years).
    Last edited by subaru daemon; November 11, 2010 at 07:01 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member swordsaintscoot's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Little idea I had about Mest and Dragon Slayers.

So I had this idea about Mest's possible connection to the Dragon Slayers and Zeref.

One thing I always think about when I read or watch Fairy Tail is "I wonder how old Natsu is?" Obviously because of that time in the Fighting Festival Arc where Dragon Slayers could not pass through Fried's runes.

A lot of people think that it could just be because Dragon Slayer magic changes a persons body composition that prevented them from passing through the rune. I have a different idea though.

What if Dragon Slayers are just really old? What if living with Dragons and learning their magic increases your lifespan? If they were this old you'd think they'd know that, but what if Mest's magic (which so far seems to be a memory manipulation) was used on them to create a sense that the time they spent with their foster 'parents' was on scale with normal time during the time they spent with dragons?

It would somewhat make sense to me. We've never had the pleasure of encountering the families of any Dragon Slayer, but as we all know, there's been no lacking in family development of other characters like Gray, Lucy and even Makarov/Laxus/Ivan. To say family isn't important in this story would be a grave ignorance in my opinion.

What if the Dragon Slayers obvious lack of family is because they've outlived them?

Another piece I've been thinking about is how people are assuming Zeref is also a very old Dragon Slayer who's prolonged his own life by the death of others. What if he was the Dragon Slayer of death/darkness, and he feeds on death. If it truly was this that prolonged his life, then maybe Natsu eating fire, Gajeel eating metal and Wendy eating air has increased their life? Though this bit is unlikely due to the fact we've seen a younger Natsu. However I still think the time they spent with their respective dragon is on a much bigger scale than what we've been led to believe.
    Last edited by swordsaintscoot; November 16, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

New Reply
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast