Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 17 of 125 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

After the drama aired first season sales were similar to Air Gear. Maybe book stores are taking it slow with season II, seeing if demand is still there.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oricon Manga Rankings 12/21 - 12/27

1. Fullmetal Alchemist volume 24 (886,135) (Shonen Gangan)
    2. Hunter X Hunter volume 27 (488,446) (Weekly Shonen Jump)
    3. Big Windup! volume 13 (301,130) (Afternoon)
    4. xxxHOLiC volume 16 (281,589) (Young Magazine)
    5. Kekkaishi volume 27 (98,347/211,108) (Shonen Sunday)
    6. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Minagoroshihen volume 4 (87,398) (GFantasy)
    7. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1: Legend of the golden witch volume 4 (85,847) (GanGan Online)
    8. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Minagoroshihen volume 3 (85,259) (GFantasy)
    9. K-ON! volume 3 (81,252/202,559) (Manga Time Kirara Carat)
    10. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi chan volume 4 (79,549) (Shonen Ace)

11. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Raising Project volume 9 (77,615/81,915) (Shonen Ace)
    12. Major volume 74 (76,978/158,757) (Shonen Sunday)
    13. Mei-chan no Shitsuji volume 11 (76,019) (Margaret)
    14. Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 2: Legend of the golden witch volume 2 (69,650) (GanGan Online)
    15. Zipang volume 43 (67,060) (Morning)
    16. Initial D volume 40 (66,168) (Young Magazine)
    17. Sekirei volume 9 (65,732) (Young Gangan)
    18. Bokutachi wa Shitteshimatta volume 8 (64,597) (Cheese!)
    19. Hajime no Ippo volume 90 (61,151/193,744) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)
    20. Air Gear volume 27 (60,554/188,611) (Weekly Shonen Magazine)

21. Nagasarete Airantou volume 16 (59,535) (Shonen Gangan)
    22. One Piece volume 56 (59,339/1,924,398) (Weekly Shonen Jump)
    23. Suki Desu Suzuki-kun!! volume 6 (58,972) (Sho-comi)
    24. Nodame Cantabile volume 23 (58,155/1,042,231) (KISS)
    25. The Enchained Spiritual Beast Ga-Rei volume 11 (56,504/59,116)
    26. HSD Kenichi volume 36 (54,811/130,749) (Shonen Sunday)
    27. Fate/stay night volume 11 (53,651) (Shonen Ace)
    28. Uchuu Kyoudai volume 8 (53,291) (Morning)
    29. GTO: Shonan 14 Days volume 2 (50,862/145,544) (Shonen Magazine)
    30. Higurashi no Naku Koroni Hirukowashi-hen (47,738)

3. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that the top 5 series at the moment are One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Nodame Cantabile and Nana (not sure about the order), but which series belong in the top 10 in terms of sales?

And which are the stronger newcomer series (the newer series basically)?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I know that the top 5 series at the moment are One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Nodame Cantabile and Nana (not sure about the order), but which series belong in the top 10 in terms of sales?

And which are the stronger newcomer series (the newer series basically)?
    well, if we base it on 2009 Japanese Comic Ranking, the next five are Naruto, Bleach, St.Yong-man, Kimi ni Todoke, and Kuroshitsuji. (Hunter x Hunter probably lies somewhere here, but its so irregular)

Nodame's gone, and FMA will probably end sometime in 2010, so I guess Naruto will move its way up to top 5 (since it seems to be the only series other than the current top 5 that can reach 1M) :P

don't know much about newer series, but I'm sure Toriko and Bakuman will get bigger with an anime.
    Never read St.Youngman, and I'm not too familiar with it, but seems like this series has potential for getting much bigger.
    Last edited by ruggia; January 02, 2010 at 07:45 AM.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I expect Kimi ni Todoke to become a million seller soon, assuming the anime gives it the proper boost. HxH and Bleach have almost identical volume sales.

St. Youngmen is an amazing series, very, very funny. Who knows how big it can get. There have only been 3 or 4 volumes so far.

Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    I expect Kimi ni Todoke to become a million seller soon, assuming the anime gives it the proper boost. HxH and Bleach have almost identical volume sales..
    can anime sale boost it that much? (didn't follow the sales enough to see it, so I don't know....)
    the recent volume/chapters of Kimi ni Todoke seems like it could end pretty soon so I wasn't too sure. (of course, it could always drag on....not too familiar with how shoujo does with popular manga)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ruggia View Post
    can anime sale boost it that much? (didn't follow the sales enough to see it, so I don't know....)
    the recent volume/chapters of Kimi ni Todoke seems like it could end pretty soon so I wasn't too sure. (of course, it could always drag on....not too familiar with how shoujo does with popular manga)
    Also Kimi ni Todoke is a late night anime. Nodame Cantabile had a live action dorama to boost its sale, since doramas are aired at prime time. For a shoujo manga as mainstream as Kimi ni Todoke, it probably can't gain alot of new fans from an anime. Kimi ni Todoke is aired at the same time slot as Ouran (or so I heard) and is the 2nd best late night time slot after noitamina (or so I heard), so there is probably some boost...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If an anime does not boost sales of the manga it is a failure in the eyes of the publisher. Late night anime are still popular, maybe more popular: Nana, Nodame Cantabile (anime), Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, Air, Kanon were all late night anime. The only anime that are aired during the day are kids stuff and shonen action anyway.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

What about prime time anime?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

If an anime does not boost sales of the manga it is a failure in the eyes of the publisher. Late night anime are still popular, maybe more popular: Nana, Nodame Cantabile (anime), Haruhi Suzumiya, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, Air, Kanon were all late night anime. The only anime that are aired during the day are kids stuff and shonen action anyway.
    Nana was popular because of its live action movie. Nodame Cantabile is popular because of its dorama, hence more people tuned in for the anime (highest record for late night anime). The others, Haruhi, Clannad, AIR, Kanon and Bake are all targeted at otakus anyway, hence a late night slot is fine (otakus either willing to stay up, or record it or download it off share/PerfectDark). Kimi ni Todoke is a mainstream shoujo series, most of its potential fans probablly would not watch late night anime (since it's mostly otaku orientated stuff). I don't think the anime would give that much more boost to the manga sales. Noitamina is the only only late night time slot I know that 'normal' people actually would watch, hence it is all non-otaku stuff.

I did wonder why didn't they do a dorama series instead, could have been cheaper and gathered a larger fanbase. Just wait for a few months, I'm sure a Taiwan live action series would show up soon enough.

Quote Quote:
    What about prime time anime?
    No anime would go for prime time, other then anime that could have a wide fanbase (such as shounen or family comedy). Because the animation studio/sponsers pays for a time slot, late night time slot is the cheapest slot they can get (anime pretty airs on TV like an extra long advert). Also, prime time is usually variety shows or dorama.

But yes, a prime time anime would be able to gather a fairly large fanbase. But that usually shows up with manga sales and TV ratings, the DVD sales of mainstream is usually quite 'meh'. Otaku niche stuff would always sells better.
    Last edited by LilaChan; January 04, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ratings don't matter for late night anime. KimiTodo's impact will be on DVD.

Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

But when was FMA aired? Was it prime time?, cause I know FMA got a huge boost from it's anime.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Ratings don't matter for late night anime. KimiTodo's impact will be on DVD.
    Let's hope it sells well. But I honestly doubt it'll be a mega-seller. The only shoujo series recently selling more then 10k per volume is Natsume. Toshokan Sensou did about 9k and Ouran did 7k. If KimiTodo does 10k per volume, I'll be really proud of the sales (5k is the average breaking point).

Quote Originally Posted by ruggia
    But when was FMA aired? Was it prime time?, cause I know FMA got a huge boost from it's anime.
    FMA:B has Code Geass R2's time slot right? I heard the ratings were only going downhill with FMA:B, but it's the most recorded anime series (or so I heard). I don't know about the first series, it could be at the same time slot...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    'with a 6.8 percent television viewership rating'
    That rating is for the first series. Sounds like decent rating for me (when prime time dorama usually gets about 9-12%). How much boost boost it gave to the manga sales I have no idea, I barely knew what anime was when the first series was airing .

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Koshi_Inaba's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Anime usually can push a manga into mega-seller territory. Two prime example FMA and Kuroshitsuji. FMA was only selling around 100k during it's early run, but the anime push into 1 million per volume. Kuroshitsuji was only selling around 100k and now sold 600k because of the anime. FMA was aired on prime time while Kuroshitsuji was late night. Sometimes it doesn't really matter what times it aired, both late night or prime time can push the sales of manga

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koshi_Inaba View Post
    Anime usually can push a manga into mega-seller territory. Two prime example FMA and Kuroshitsuji. FMA was only selling around 100k during it's early run, but the anime push into 1 million per volume. Kuroshitsuji was only selling around 100k and now sold 600k because of the anime. FMA was aired on prime time while Kuroshitsuji was late night. Sometimes it doesn't really matter what times it aired, both late night or prime time can push the sales of manga
    That's interesting. Cross Game was selling about 250k before anime and only about 300k after anime, and that's a morning anime. I think it really depends what magazine it runs in too. Nodame and NANA have such high sales possibly because no one bothers with the magazine, hence no one knew about them before the live-action/anime. Cross Game runs in Shounen Sunday, and that is reletively popular magazine, most of its potential fans are already fans.

Actually even a webanime could boost the sales. Before anime, Hetalia (printed edition) sold about 50k in the first week. Now it sold 450k, on par with mainstream manga (despite most of it can be read online since it's a webcomic). I'm looking forward to the 3rd volume to see how well it would sell.

New Reply
Page 17 of 125 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 ... LastLast