Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Cleaning Style Frenzy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New Cleaning Style Frenzy

'Sup everybody! Everything okay? Hope so

Good thing MH is such a big and wide spread community, cause that way i can put some order in my train of thoughts.

I think we all noticed this new wave of cleans that are somehow blurred, well more the gray ares, not the entire image.

Some examples (but not the only ones):

http://mangahelpers.com/s/neoscantra...3?t=1246558261
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/scantradmk...2?t=1246558295
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/kurozakuro/readonline/37782/1
    http://mangahelpers.com/s/i-eat-mang...online/35700/1

I for one can't stand such...such... i don't even know what to call them. What do you guys think? Would be nice to hear the opinion of some more experienced cleaners, but of course each mind counts.

Thanks go out in advance.
    Last edited by kyuubi654; July 02, 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chiresakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Cleaning Style Frenzy

This isn't really "new" anymore. People have been misusing denoise programs and plugins for a couple years now. It goes through phases, though. A lot of new groups and scanlators will appear out of nowhere (let's just say they're bored over summer break) and denoise the hell out of their speedscans. The people who stick around for several months actually start to get good at denoising, and speedscan quality increases. Then you hit winter-break-boredom and it all goes to hell again.

There are many groups and scanlators out there who disdain lousy quality scanlations, but after hours spent ranting about quality in our M7 staff channel, we've finally run out of steam. There's nothing anyone can do. If you find a group who does work you like you should take the time to tell them how much you appreciate their quality

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner illiteracy's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyuubi654 View Post
    I for one can't stand such...such... i don't even know what to call them.
    Don't read them then. With the exception of HSDK, all of your other links have many, many groups scanlating them. If you can't stand the awful denoising, wait for a "quality" group to release.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There are series, or have been, with only one group doing lousy quality. Some people seem to have a fetish for using de - noising software to fill the blacks at the expense of the grays. Others seem to love gausian (sic) blur, turning it up as high as they can. I don't know why, there's nothing wrong with setting it to 2 or 3 to keep scans from looking to crispy. But never, ever set it high enough to ruin quality.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chiresakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend the Diffuse Filter (under the Stylize menu) set to anisotropic rather than Gaussian Blur.

If you insist on using blur to ink the blacks, at least use the Magic Wand to select the area and constrain the blur within the selection. Try not to blur line art and edges too much

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

@illiteracy: well i don't read them never said i do. just bugs the hell out of me when i see that the first scanlation out is a crappy one which i don't want to read.

Um...i'm not really talking about the blur effect available in PS or gimp or whatever program you're using, those used in small amounts don't damage anything.

But instead they use denoisers like NeatImage or Topaz for that. So they over-level a bit and then they apply a ton of noise threshold with no sharpness (my guess, seeing as how i've stumbled upon such results). And the sucky part to this whole thing is that the background, be it a pattern or some very neatly drawn buildings, landscapes or whatever, have to suffer the consequences. And then there's some lines in the drawing that also fade, if the grays spread to much and let's not forget the scan lines, which nobody cleans anymore, that also spread all over the place, etc. etc.
    Last edited by kyuubi654; July 03, 2009 at 01:39 AM.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member fxu's Avatar
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

Recently there has been a mention of the topaz filter and everybody is going crazy with it...

It's fine to experiment on some pages to see what works... but I've seen quite a few scans like if somebody poured water on that sh-t.
    B I N K T O P I A

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Doragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the groups you just mentioned are shitty speed scanlators, no wonder the scanlations were bad.
    Spoiler show

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really bad when they do it for no reason, like when the blacks could be fixed just by leveling and a couple seconds of brushing/burning. because the point of it is to make the blacks only need normal leveling, right?

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member L0ki's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyuubi654 View Post
    Um...i'm not really talking about the blur effect available in PS or gimp or whatever program you're using, those used in small amounts don't damage anything.

But instead they use denoisers like NeatImage or Topaz for that. So they over-level a bit and then they apply a ton of noise threshold with no sharpness (my guess, seeing as how i've stumbled upon such results). And the sucky part to this whole thing is that the background, be it a pattern or some very neatly drawn buildings, landscapes or whatever, have to suffer the consequences. And then there's some lines in the drawing that also fade, if the grays spread to much and let's not forget the scan lines, which nobody cleans anymore, that also spread all over the place, etc. etc.
    Most of those things shouldn't be affected when denoising correctly. They'll probably even look better. The problem comes when you try to make the filters do all your work for you. Then you'll get those... things you posted avobe.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Yemen
    Post Thanks / Like

thanx, it's v.usefull

I'm new to this site

but I'm a good translator and scanlator >> from English 2 Arabic

bye >> C U later

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner PitylessEnvy's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this really that much of a problem with the last example you gave? I mean, sure it's blurry, but it also looks really clean. I honestly don't see that much of a problem.
    http://theprojectscans.21.forumer.com/
    ^The Project Scanlations

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fxu View Post
    Recently there has been a mention of the topaz filter and everybody is going crazy with it...
    Quoted for the truth. I enjoyed using the filter myself in moderation, but I'm starting to see that some groups are relying too heavily on Topaz, and not using it correctly.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    Quoted for the truth. I enjoyed using the filter myself in moderation, but I'm starting to see that some groups are relying too heavily on Topaz, and not using it correctly.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just don't see the need for ANY filters whatsoever. People may complain about the "hard way", but you can't automate every aspect of cleaning. Denoising filters pale in quality comparison to just zooming in and getting your hands dirty with the brush tool.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast