Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy Manga to Practice Translating

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner pink_F_L_O_Y_D's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy Manga to Practice Translating

whats an easy enough practice manga or website with text for learning japo? sorry if this has been done 10 00000000000000000 times before, and if it has, link?

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: manga for learning japanese

Moved your thread here. For some websites, you can refer to this post "Help with Learning Japanese"
    As for manga, Kirimi ever suggested that we can always start with those children's manga first, after which, moving to any series in Shonen Jump (Naruto, Bleach) should be easier.

▲Away till end June. ▲

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner pink_F_L_O_Y_D's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: manga for learning japanese

merci

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy/Baby Manga to practise

Hi Im currently learning japanese and was wondering if there are any easy mangas that i could start to practise translating with i do have some raw volumes of One Piece and Dragonball but since they are quite far ahead in the story there is quite a bit of dialogue that i have no clue of and I give up so if anyone knows of a gud simple young manga or 4-koma i would very much appreciate replying or pming me it thanx

Merged ~Nami
    Last edited by Nami; August 06, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Grand Taichou 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity WinterLion's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easy/Baby Manga to practise

OP is relatively heavy on the dialogue (remembering from the few times I transed that). I would suggest you go for something that you already read and know the storyline. Another thing to do is, trans something that a more experienced translator has already done, and compare your transes to theirs and see where you need work on. I don't have any particular series to recommend since I haven't picked up a manga in a long time, and I don't rate the difficulty of the JP, but pick something mainstream. Naruto or Bleach is pretty easy I think. It gives you more access to translations done by others.

Hope that helps some.
    Not on the site anymore, See Forum Leaders Thread for the responsible folks.

Spoiler show

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as WinterLion said the mainstream manga's such as Bleach and Naruto, may be your best bet for learning and improving your japanese. With such manga your resources include official as well as fan translations that you can reference when you are checking your own translations.

For instance with Naruto there have been a number of translators that translate the same weekly chapter. There were also compilations of those translations that allowed for the appreciation of other styles, and interpretations, as well as the catching of the occasional mistakes.

I'll see if any of those compilations still exist for you. However in the meantime I'm sure you will be able to find translations that you can compare your own to by filtering out the english translations by manga.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help Winterlion and 4ghost I will try with the early volumes of Naruto because its easy to get my hands on the official volumes cheap

4ghost if you can find the compilation I would be forever in your debt

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zefur View Post
    Thank you for your help Winterlion and 4ghost I will try with the early volumes of Naruto because its easy to get my hands on the official volumes cheap

4ghost if you can find the compilation I would be forever in your debt
    Unfortunately I can not find all of the compilations if the others still exist, but there are 22 of them that I am able to locate. Since the original thread and section no longer exist the best I can do for you is copy them into this thread I guess.

A few things lost from a direct copy are the color coding of the different translations. So rather than color you will have to go with the order of 1st tora-chan, 2nd HisshouBuraiken, 3rd Carlos Net(cnet), and 4th Gokuro-3

Spoiler show

Right now that is the earliest compilation that I can find. If the others still exist they would also be compilations from part 2 of Naruto perhaps an arc or 2 earlier.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

im thinking of doing the same thing which one would you recommend. doremon or naruto?

Grand Taichou 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity WinterLion's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

For a lack of a better place to put The Compilation Thread, it's sitting in the Translator's Helpline for now. Ghostie, feel free to move it around the boards as you see fit and maybe even clean up some of the comments in it so it's a listing of just compilations. I just grabbed it out of the archive and moved it here.

Quote Originally Posted by boemshiika View Post
    im thinking of doing the same thing which one would you recommend. doremon or naruto?
    I would suggest you start with Naruto since the translations are so easy to come by and there's multiple translations for each chapter.
    Not on the site anymore, See Forum Leaders Thread for the responsible folks.

Spoiler show

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Could anyone sugest me some non battle manga to start translation? I don't wan't to say naruto or Bleach are bad, but i realy dislike them. I like more slice of life types but good ones(recently read X-Day that was great one for me) are moustly seinen or josei, witch means they don't have furigana. So i would have to try to chew through kanji when i remember less than 50 makes pain in the ass to find right one, or chew through series i dislike both options are bad .

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Copacetic's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend something from magazines like Ribon, Nakayoshi, or Ciao. Unfortunately, these are *very* shoujo and you'd probably have to weed through a lot of crap before finding a good one, but they're there, I promise. I personally find stuff like this easier to translate anyways since I don't have to worry about battle-specific terms and can focus on more everyday-style speech and phrases.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AlphaXero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Manga to start translating

Hi there, I am a guy who's attempting to teach myself Japanese. I am starting to recognize many Japanese Hirigana and Katakana symbols. I am looking for a very simple Manga that i could use the raw of to try to translate to further accelerate my learning. It needs to use either only Hirigana and Katakana or have well readable Furigana. I appreciate your assistance in this manner. Thanks a lot in advance.

Merged ~Nami
    Last edited by Nami; November 11, 2009 at 08:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also looking for a children's manga or the equivalent type of thing... I know all the kana (even if I get some confused at times), and around 30 or so kanji. So, are there any recommendations that I could hunt down the RAWs for?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Syphilias's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.starbulletin.com/features...n_inspire.html

Google is your friend. Have fun studying!

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast