Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Easy Manga to Practice Translating

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ayumu's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Rica
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Easy/Baby Manga to practise

hey dude,here is what you're loking for:
    http://www.taringa.net/posts/ebooks-...ana---Pdf.html
    i hope this may help

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Syphilias's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easy/Baby Manga to practise

http://jpplaza.com/download/Start-do...oushi.zip.html

There are about 9 books by the same author there. This is a short series of children's tales. Issunboushi is "Inch High Samurai"

Enjoy!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't know much 'easy' manga out there. I've been translating (or trying my best) using the internet as my guide.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

First things first, before you start translating, is to read it on its own terms.

How can you expect to understand anything when you're beginning to learn a language, AND beginning to learn how to translate?

Step 1: Learn the language

Step 2: Learn to translate

Translating requires a solid understanding of the initial language and the target language.

I saw on Yahoo! Answers when I googled "Japanese gba game list" so I could figure out which ones I wanted to play, and this is what it was:

"What is a good game on Gameboy Advance to practice reading my hiragana? I know Pokemon is in hiragana but I would like to play something with more story."

My answer would be that since you are just starting to learn how to read, so-called "simple" games such as pokemon are actually ideal for practice. Most, (but not all!) games that have a huge storyline usually assume that you have firm reading skills in Japanese. Pokemon is easier to read, and has lots of explanations of game terms. If you make connections between game terms and language, eventually you can understand the more advanced games.

Games with heavy storyline usually don't talk about the gameplay mechanics. Sometimes there are tutorial modes but if you don't know a lot of kanji, these games are going to be hard to read. I just remember about 2 years ago when I tried to read Xenogears... total disaster! I tried playing it again after 2 years of studying, having MANY "AH-HAH!" moments about kanji and general language usage, and just plain READING a TON of manga (Matantei Loki!) to see the kanji more often, and I was actually able to follow along with the text!

Just start out with the beginning reading and work your way up. You'll never learn anything if you just try to read stuff that you don't understand. You'll probably just give up like I did. Luckily I didn't give up on the language, and just "lowered my standards"

I say that in quotations because once you actually get into the so-called "kid's stuff" it's actually more interesting than the "REAL stuff" that you enjoyed IN ENGLISH!!!!!!!

Remember that what you enjoyed in English was only enjoyable because you actually UNDERSTOOD IT!!!

Anyway back to the Yahoo! Answers page, it ended up not having a single response with a game title!!! The "Best" answer was someone telling the original poster to "do some flash cards and study out of a textbook."

Which is good, but that's not what the OP was asking, and also, they are limiting themselves, since anything with writing is good for learning, because you learn the most in ANY language from reading.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    "What is a good game on Gameboy Advance to practice reading my hiragana? I know Pokemon is in hiragana but I would like to play something with more story."
    This is not an answer to the question, but I personally think the person should save up money to purchase a DS and DS games instead. DS games are not regional coded unlike DSi games, and Japanese DS games run just fine on international DS machines. (A DS machine also runs Gameboy Advantage games unlike DSi. I have a Japanese Gameboy Adv software running on a US DS.) There are many Japanese DS software available for Japanese children to learn the written language. For advance Japanese learners, Professor Layton series have great story lines. Be careful however when you chose a title. "Akuma no Hako" (The Diabolical Box) was actually released before "Layton Kyoju to Fushigi na Machi" (Prof. Layton and the Curious Village) in Japan, so that the written Japanese does not have furigana/yomigana (ruby). I would recommend newer Prof. Layton series. Check to see if the software has furigana before making a purchase. (Btw, I have a couple of Reborn and Bleach Japanese DS games. They are not good titles to learn Japanese. Avoid action games.)
    Last edited by mikkih; June 09, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my point was that the person wanted a game which he/she enjoyed to practice reading. He/she probably has used learning software, and while they are great for learning, are not as fun as playing the games you love.

Just like reading manga, playing video games to practice your reading is a great thing to do. I've been playing dragon quest 1, 3, and 4, and various pokemon titles. These games are GREAT for reading practice because they offer REPEATED SCROLLING TEXT, especially in dragon quest.

I actually think that dragon quest was a secret ploy by Japan's government to improve literacy. Why else do you think you need to fight so many battles? It's a reading software, not a game, LMAO!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Manga to Translate :)

Hello
    i'm new here and i'm looking for some manga to translate. I have been learning japanese for a few years but my vocabulary and kanji need improving via practice!

Does anyone have any suggestions of an easy-ish manga to start on?

Thanks

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member aegon-rokudo's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga to Translate :)

Pick a manga that you like. If you like it, you will be more willing to translate it. Obviously don't pick wall of text such as bakuman, but a manga with a certain amount of action

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2