Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Licensing Announcements.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Licensing Announcements.

I don't like it when companies release onibuse releases as the only choice when buying a series. It makes my shelf look weird when I have 14 volumes of the regular size Air Gear next to a giant version with 3 volumes it in....0_o

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

VIZ omnibus editions have been very good, of the highest quality. Better paper, better print, usually restored color pages. The upcoming Del Ray ones worry me a bit. They're only doing them because they're licensing agreement runs out after 2010 and they want to crank certain series out before Kodansha takes direct control of there catalog. I don't trust them to do a particularly good job. The bigger size doesn't bother me. I own a lot of VIZ Signature series which are not standard tankobon size.

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

So is Del Ray losing all rights to publish Kodansha manga in '10 or are they jsut renewing their license? I know Tokyopop lost the right to release them or at least that's what I've heard.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing official to speak of yet. But, Kodansha launched their own U.S. imprint with the re - release of Akira and Ghost in the Shell a few months ago. They claim Kodansha U.S. will be for archival releases but I doubt they will renew their contract with Del Ray in 2011. I expect they want there own equivilent of VIZ, if they renew that would be impossible.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Horsee's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Chuang Yi (english, Singapore):
    After School Charisma
    MiXiM 11

Btw, Chuang Yi uses dust jacket, and you can get them on ebay (they also publish in Australia).

Két dolog végtelen: a Világegyetem és az emberi hülyeség, de az előbbi nem biztos.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman, volume 1: August, 2010
    Hyde + Closer, volume 1: July, 2010
    Toriko, volume 1: June, 2010

Moderator message by: Akiyama
    we have dates now
    Last edited by Akiyama; December 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

8. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Color Bleach+: The Bleach Official Bootleg - July 20, 2010

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    There is nothing official to speak of yet. But, Kodansha launched their own U.S. imprint with the re - release of Akira and Ghost in the Shell a few months ago. They claim Kodansha U.S. will be for archival releases but I doubt they will renew their contract with Del Ray in 2011. I expect they want there own equivilent of VIZ, if they renew that would be impossible.
    Kodanasha are most definetly going to go againset viz head on. del rey hasnt been a big enough company to do that. del rey will have the titles for another year. ( for people that dont know series that have been recently intruduced into english publication dont do very well and almost no money is made from them in the first 12 months) kodanasha will use del rey to get the series exposed. then once del rey has made kodanashas series popular they wont renew there contract and kodansha will cash in on all the popularity del rey made. and del rey will be left with a few titles they cant sell . kinda cruel thing to do but only way to go up againset viz. they got quite a head start.

What im looking forward to when kodanasha takes over. super competitive prices. because its a bigger company then del rey they can afford to be a bit cheaper like viz. = the result supply increases price goes down and demand stays the same. More manga for our doller

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    I don't like it when companies release onibuse releases as the only choice when buying a series. It makes my shelf look weird when I have 14 volumes of the regular size Air Gear next to a giant version with 3 volumes it in....0_o
    although i agree with you i don't like it when omnibuses are the only choice. i am extremy happy with the Vizbig issues as kaiten said. good quality paper. colour pages that were not included in the tankabons. (im thinking of Rken). and slightly cheaper. although the bigger size doesnt bother me what so ever. they are spacing them to far apart. so im like you i dont like things looking different on my shelf. so i bought the vizbigs. for vagabond up to 5. then i bought the signiture issues 1-30, and bought the jap tankabon for 31. but from the rumours ive heard the del rey omnibusses arent going to be to great. no bigger offcut page apparently regular quality paper and its going to be 40 australian, (30) US. but as i said above kodanasha will take over in the next few years. and del rey will likely die unless they pull something out of the bag.
    Last edited by Mushashi; December 18, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I like VIZbig because they are basically Bunko editions, as Mushashi said, there are a lot of extras. Check out Del Ray's first Samurai Deeper ominbus, it's just a two volume tank. It's obvious there just trying to churn them out before the clock strikes midnight.

I have not been impressed by Del Ray's choice of series over the years. To many good series get overlooked (Bloody Monday) or delayed (SZS) while to many crap, second tier series get licensed (not gonna name, look through a book store to see what I'm saying). Kodansha will probably have better taste in their own series.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

i just got back from cheacking out samuair deeper. it sucks regular paper at a more expensive price. they are just trying to get fast releases. and yeh whoever is incharge of publication there is an idiot. air gear > bloody monday pssh

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don't want to admit it, Air Gear was a series that needed to be licensed. It's one of the more popular manga in ShoMag. Bloody Monday....... Really should have been. Ever since the drama ended it's become one of Magazines flagships as well. Maybe Kodansha is with holding it, hoping it becomes one of their U.S. branches early hits.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

i had not thought of that kaiten. someone just coming into the U.S market they will want to get recognized the fastest way they can. yes i agree that air gear needed to be licensed. i think bloody monday would have been better. if only theyd done both thanks for the idea. im actuely really looking forward to kodanasha taking over. im fed up with del rey.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Air Gear is older, licensed a few years before Bloody Monday even started. What I do understand is Del Ray's reluctance to license sports series; virtually every one licensed has done terrible. PoT is an exception, maybe ES21. Don't think so though. Unfortunately not licensing sports means ignoring some of Kodansha's most famous titles, new and old.

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Horsee's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Kirby (by Hirokazu Hikawa): September 7, 2010

More Del Rey omnibus:
    Suzuka 13/14/15: August 31, 2010
    Hell Girl 7/8/9: October 26, 2010

Chuang Yi publisher (Singapore):
    Twinkle Stars (by Natsuki Takaya) (in english)

Some new english covers:
    Spoiler show

Két dolog végtelen: a Világegyetem és az emberi hülyeség, de az előbbi nem biztos.

21. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how VIZ has started trying to keep their Shonen Jump line covers looking like the originals.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.

Thread Closed
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast