Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 597 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Manga auto cleaning program

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga auto cleaning program

The Zoom function works great. No problems so far with this nice little prog. I'm looking forward to the batch mode

Quote Originally Posted by stringman520
    I was also thinking of offering up the code to anyone who wants to help (I can't do it right now, because the commenting is quite bad at this point), and would be tremendously confusing. I don't know if there are a lot of rogue programmers sitting on mangahelpers though.
    Hm, not so much programmers here, I think. I know rough the basic since I studied computer science for a year, but barely enough to help myself adding a patch manually or something like this^^

@ttx ... could be java. I noticed on a friends PC that vista and java progs don't work very well yet. But it's still beta (both, vista and mangacleaner^^), so I wouldn't pay so much attention for this pairing now xD

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttxdragon
    the program looks fine so far...

only things that i noticed (i'm on windows vista)
    - It isn't aero compatible // doesn't really matter, but w/e i wanted to give you notice xD
    - opening folders is kinda hard... most of the time it changes to edit the folders name...
    - it's really slow in scrolling...

but nonetheless this is great stuff, it will really lessen the workload on cleaners a lot

i'm looking forward to future versions and an executable for windows, to see if it is just java that sucks away the speed or not ^^
    What happens when opening folders? It generally just opens the folder, and will save to the folder. Really slow in scrolling, I don't know if there's much that can be done. But we will see when it becomes an exe later on.

Quote Originally Posted by eni
    The Zoom function works great. No problems so far with this nice little prog. I'm looking forward to the batch mode

Hm, not so much programmers here, I think. I know rough the basic since I studied computer science for a year, but barely enough to help myself adding a patch manually or something like this^^

@ttx ... could be java. I noticed on a friends PC that vista and java progs don't work very well yet. But it's still beta (both, vista and mangacleaner^^), so I wouldn't pay so much attention for this pairing now xD
    Nice to know about the vista and java progs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to drop by and let stringman know that I am still having trouble saving images after I've used the program.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you upgraded your java version? Everyone who is using the most recent version it is working. Sorry for the lack of updates, I've encountered a really annoying problem which I think is a bug in Java which isn't allowing me to set pixels in a greyscale image, which makes it terribly annoying. I'm trying to figure out a workaround, and then the auto rotation, and cleaning outside of frame will be completed, at which point I'll either reupload or do work on panel selection. After that will come the batch mode.

Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

i haven't tried your program 'cause the the link isn't working... can you do other links?.....

i ha ve this question... do you need to have the photoshop software to use your program or does it works on its own by just having java?...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

=/ The file is gone after lack of downloads.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll repost it shortly and update the link on the OP. Sorry about the lack of updates recently, I have been working a lot recently. I have updated it since the last version that was posted, although the rotation aspect of things, I had a really hard time with the math to determine correct rotation amounts based upon a frame. As it turned out, the math turned out to be very simple.

EDIT: It works on its own if you just have Java. The intention of the program is to work independently of Photoshop or any other graphics software, but have the aspects of it that you use for scanlating.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, do you intend to implement redrawing features, or will this just handle the automatic parts, like leveling and curves?
    Devin Lane<br /><br />Strays: How We Learned To Stop Whining And Do Scanlations By Ourselves<br /><br />Read Jackals, Vagabond, Chevalier, and My Balls by Strays. (http://strays.devserver.org/)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

where can we get the source code?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Lane
    Interesting, do you intend to implement redrawing features, or will this just handle the automatic parts, like leveling and curves?
    Some redrawing features, as much as is identifiable programmatically. The general problem with that is a lot of it is subjective. If someone who has a graphics background but has ideas on redrawing algorithms, I would be more than willing to try out different ideas. For what is not possible programmatically, I plan on trying to give user interface tools to try and speed it up. The idea behind this program is to provide a graphic tool for manga scanlators to speed up the process. If there is some tool that would be useful, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by infyquest
    where can we get the source code?
    If you want the source code, I was going to share it out, but as of right now, I haven't sufficiently commented it. I want to get through the batch processing before I really go through and update it, but after that I will share out the code to whomever is interested.

EDIT: OP Updated with updated link

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stringman520
    Some redrawing features, as much as is identifiable programmatically. The general problem with that is a lot of it is subjective. If someone who has a graphics background but has ideas on redrawing algorithms, I would be more than willing to try out different ideas. For what is not possible programmatically, I plan on trying to give user interface tools to try and speed it up. The idea behind this program is to provide a graphic tool for manga scanlators to speed up the process. If there is some tool that would be useful, let me know.
    Well, when I do editing, I use the clone, brush, and primitive drawing tools in Photoshop. These seem pretty hard to implement in the same level of usability that the ones in Photoshop have.
    Devin Lane<br /><br />Strays: How We Learned To Stop Whining And Do Scanlations By Ourselves<br /><br />Read Jackals, Vagabond, Chevalier, and My Balls by Strays. (http://strays.devserver.org/)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Brush will be very easy, there are actually java classes for brush, its just a matter of correctly programming the brush characteristics. As I've said in the opening post, I'm not familiar with graphics programs, so clone and primitive drawing tools I'm not sure about. What are those?

EDIT: I just realized reading through the posts that I hadn't posted since I finished the auto rotation aspects. As of right now, you can view the frame by going to the view menu and show frame. the frame is editable by dragging the corners to wherever the edge of the frame is. Then once that is in a suitable location, you can do 1 of 3 things, clean outside of the frame, rotate the image to make it straight, or reset the image to the frame (this will get rid of all the whitespace, if you cleaned outside the frame).

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I will help with commenting out as i am an expert in voodoo programming and debugging.

誰も知らない 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some suggestions.

1) Ability to select where the Frame is if the Autoclear doesn't get the right things.
    2) Redrawing the frame lines so they're straight lines, (possibly a curve at the corners for smoothness sake)
    3) Auto clear text in bubbles, the easiest way would be to let the user select a bubble, and have the computer find all the edges and white out the inside, I believe.

I think those three might be pretty useful. Other things to consider whenever you get there are allowing users to import grey palettes (like the ones they use in photoshop), the basic tools, (brush, pencil, clone stamp tool (you select a x pixel wide circle, and then when you brush another area it brushes with whatever's in the x pixel wide circle), fill, various selection tools, layers).

Among all those, I think the basic tools and layers are the most important.
    尊皇攘夷
    Ask Zindryr Stuff
    MANga of Taste - Zindryr's Manga Review Blog - last update 07/29/08
    Looking for a professional freelance or permanent position as a JP->EN translator. If you are looking for one, or know a company that is, then please send me an e-mail or PM here.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infyquest
    I will help with commenting out as i am an expert in voodoo programming and debugging.
    Okay, I'll work on getting it out possibly tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by zindryr
    Here are some suggestions.

1) Ability to select where the Frame is if the Autoclear doesn't get the right things.
    2) Redrawing the frame lines so they're straight lines, (possibly a curve at the corners for smoothness sake)
    3) Auto clear text in bubbles, the easiest way would be to let the user select a bubble, and have the computer find all the edges and white out the inside, I believe.

I think those three might be pretty useful. Other things to consider whenever you get there are allowing users to import grey palettes (like the ones they use in photoshop), the basic tools, (brush, pencil, clone stamp tool (you select a x pixel wide circle, and then when you brush another area it brushes with whatever's in the x pixel wide circle), fill, various selection tools, layers).

Among all those, I think the basic tools and layers are the most important.
    1 is already implemented. The program tries to figure out where the frame is based upon where the first non white pixel is from the borders, but then you can modify it. The one change I think I'll need to make to this is in the case of a RAW with complete black edges, it will need to clear out that area and then reevaluate. I've found in the case of really crappy raws, the user will pretty much have to select the frame, as the program never gets it right.

2 will be implemented in the panel selection and redrawing phase of this, which will be after the batch mode. When all the panels are selected, there will be a redraw edges feature, which will basically be an edge traversal algorithm, so if they're curved, or straight, dependent on the manga, it'll redraw everything.

I've actually thought of a way to do the auto clear text, which is exactly the way you suggested.

Now, with the normal Photoshop tools. This has been a debate of mine. Do I want to redo the functionality that already exists in Photoshop? At first I was thinking no, because this program works off of standard image files, and so any work needed to be done in Photoshop, still can be done. Now I've been thinking of reimplementing it. The various tools I don't believe will be that hard to implement, the layers will be quite a task however.

Java has some built in functionality for combining of buffered images given a transparency component, which is what would be necessary, but since I'm working with and saving to standard image formats, it would probably only be possible to have those while working in the program. To create a custom image type would limit the effectiveness of this program.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast