Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: Draft Page (WIP)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Draft Page (WIP)

***(If this isn't suitable as a 'workshop' thread, please let me know)***

While working on my comic, I thought it'd be neat to share part of the process with you.

http://yukishirow.deviantart.com/art...-WIP-129957250

Before actually drawing a comic, I generally run out a draft. It helps me figure out panel layout, backgrounds, character position, etc. It also helps me get my pacing down...all of which are important. As I lay it out, I'll make notes which help when the pages are finalized. No actual text (dialogue/thought/narration), That's stuff that I've already gone through and keep in a 'script'.

I think this saves a buttload of aggravation, and makes a valuable reference... (especially when you're going 20-32pages per chapter/installment). What do you think?
    |Live Journal|Deviant Art|

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft Page (WIP)

These are just comments/questions... don't need to take them seriously

It looks pretty nice for a draft (shows you how dedicated you are as well as how to attack the problem of drawing and it's pretty rare to see processes that people take to ensure that it comes out alright), and I guess I can't wait to see how the finished work will look like. I really don't know what's going on here, but I'm guessing it's just one of those panels where you focus on specific parts of a character that makes him(?) recognizable from here forth.

Question 1
    - Is this manga left to right or right to left? If it's right to left, I think the usual way it goes it focuses on specifics before getting into the general picture, but if it's the other way, then it looks pretty good.

Question 2
    - Being this is just a draft are you going to separate the frames a bit from each other so it doesn't look too cluttered?

---

Comment 1
    - If this is really page 1 and 2, I would like to see a scenario where this is taken place. Is this on earth someplace we can recognize or is the scenery just out of a fictitious world. I know there are some manga out there where it just starts with the characters before it begins with the scenario.

Comment 2
    - If the page count is bothering you, you don't really have to abide to it. As a person who creates comics, I definitely seem to have a hard time planning a certain 'x' amount of pages, but I guess that's just me. I really don't know how those people on Shonen Jump do it with 20 pages per chapter. Though I guess I should take consideration on page count because I don't want the tankubons (if I make any) be varying widths (kinda shows the consumer is this person really producing the work necessary for each book).

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finalized version.
    Last edited by Eshvoide; August 03, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying^^, let's see....

Q1:The comic reads western-style (left to right)... but in this case, it seems that it c ould be either way x3x;;;

Q2:The finished comic will have gutters to separate the panels... but htere will be some panels that are 'open', and others where the action breaks or overlaps panels....right now I'm trying to see how far I can go with the storytelling, but might pull it back if it's too hard to understand o3o

I've never really thought about that..... >o<;;;; Introductions can be a bit difficult, but I think it would help to make things a bit clearer. Thanks for the suggestion/comment as well as the questions^___^
    Last edited by Yukishirow; August 03, 2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: edited for errors

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

for a total you should always have 9 frames or less on a page :O but for a background its best to use two pages

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've shown 2 pages. Whenever I do my layouts, I generally go 2 pages on the same 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I never overkill with panels per page, it screws with the pacing, not to mention it makes everything seem claustrophobic. I try to make between 4-6 panels per page the norm, but sometimes you'll see less.

New Reply