Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Seven Moments of One Piece Chapter 551

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Seven Moments of One Piece Chapter 551

Seven Moments of One Piece
    Chapter 551:
    Yonkou Whitebeard

Hallo MangaHelpers!
    Another week - another chapter. And strange but true - another my review. Last week I was very late. This week I managed to finish my review earlier.
    This chapter wasn't introducing any shocking truths therefore it was a bit easier to write. Well, I did enjoy doing this
    Please read, enjoy and comment

Again, pictures were taken from Binktopia scanslation.

Moment I

You sure are going to feel that in the morning, Usoppun!
    As usual, this chapter begins with a cover story, with the continuation, and, actually, conclusion of Usopp’s side story. A big finale, if you will. And god, how big, huge even, has Usopp become! Just look at him – he’s twice as high and four times fatter than his new friend Heraclesun who was equal to him only a week ago. And Kabuto, Usopp’s trusted weapon can serve him as his previous pachinko weapon.
    I am no Usopp fan, so it is fun for me to see that Usopp, along with Sanji, got the joke end of the Mugiwara separation deal and once more proved training/power up idea invalid. And because Usopp’s story ends for now, we probably won’t be seeing him anytime soon. So will he turn back to his normal size or continue to grow to become a true warrior of the sea? I am quite certain about this- everything should get back to normal.
    Next week – next Mugiwara. Who will it be – an almost eaten Chopper or learning to fly Nami? I’d put my money on the Mani Nami.

Moment II

This smile. I can’t help it and begin to smile as well.
    And now, to the actual chapter. It begins slowly showing the reactions of the common Shabondy folks and the uncommon press. I guess, the reaction fits the situation – no one would have guessed whose kid Ace is.
    On the next page Oda uses the famous “flying camera” technique to burst in the Marinford plaza and to give us a view of shocked Marines and Shichibukai. With a big Don, of course.
    And with Sengoku’s words still echoing above the crowd, Garp continues to experience his flashback, which started on the last page of the previous chapter. Roger, already behind jail, or should I say, gaol, bars, tells Garp about his soon to be born child. As I already have said in my last review attempt, the bond forged by these two rivals and enemies is as strong as the one between true friends. And Roger has thoroughly thought and found the best solution - and security for his future heir.
    Also, you could have noticed how cheerful Roger is. Just look at his kind smile – even with his freedom taken away – which portrays him as a real human and not a far away legend.
    And take a look at Garp – he is awesome now, but how awesome he was 22 years ago?

Hey Mama, I wanna scream so loud for you, cuz I'm so proud of you
    But the flashback continues, and now we are at the island of Baterilla in South Blue where Portgas D. Rogue lived. We see Marines, ferociously hunting for the loved ones of the pirate King, mercilessly killing all suspicious mothers, children and pregnant women. I might be thinking to deep into this, but the search for the Heir of the King reminds me on the biblical “Massacre of Innocents” ordered by cruel Herod. One certain theme is forming quite a parallel, doesn’t it? Well, no matter the assumption, once again Oda shows us the atrocities of the World Government and makes us wonder, what in the world could Roger have accomplished?
    However, Rouge endures all the times of hardships and finally, with Marines gone and suspicions cleared, she bears a child and names him Ace s his father had wanted ( Roger was a clever man – would Ace have been a girl – his name would have been Anne ). Having blessed her newborn child with bloody tears of love, Rouge passes away.

Yes, Luffy, from now on you are going to live in a circus.
    Some time - around ten years, since Luffy already wears his scar and Shanks’ hat – later, we see an already gray-haired Garp who ahs brought his own grandchild Luffy to a certain person. This person is none other than Dadan ( who was mentioned for the first time in chapter 440 by Woopslap ), Garp’s friend and possibly something much more, but aside from his one exclamation, we don’t se anything of him. Also, we see a young Ace’s back who stares at Luffy. This is the beginning of their friendship and brotherhood – even though they know they aren’t blood related and share no heritage, it makes the strength of their bond even more impressing.
    And as the logical conclusion to Garp’s flashback, we see his recent discussion with Ace in Impel Down. After this little flashback we understand how greatly Ace loved and respected Rouge and her sacrifice and why he chose her name to carry. And yet his bitter words towards Roger aren’t clear.

Moment III

Sieg Heil!
    As we see Garp doing a facepalm because Ace has turned out to be such a whining emo, Sengoku goes on with revelations. We learn that Ace has made it to the top not alone, but as a captain of the Spade Pirates – Ace of Spades? Not really original, Oda – he rapidly grew in fame and power. At that time Marines could realize who Ace actually is, but he reached New World by that time – and became a part of Whitebeard’s crew in order to make Newgate a new King.
    Little did Ace know that Newgate recognized Roger’s son in him and decided to make him Pirate King instead. That sure is some irony, no, sarcasm of Life. And if you consider that Ace gets all of those facts in such an emotional state you can only feel sorry for the boy.
    Sengoku explains that with the aid of Whitebeard, the son of Roger was fated to surely become Pirate King and the leader of the new era. Therefore World government must execute Ace at all cost – even though Whitebeard’s attack will become inevitable. Once more, such a statement makes you wonder what a man Roger was.

Moment IV

Why oh why my God above!..
    When Sengoku pauses his speech to take a drink, an urgent and unbelievable report is brought to him. The Gates of Justice are opening on their own! And on the other side of the Gates Luffy and his crew freeze in awe before the self opening Gates. Surely, it is the Heavens who favor one certain man – Buggy the Clown! Oh yes, Buggy is still ascending high – from a legendary pirate- to a godly prophet. I enjoy how Oda makes Buggy come through without him actually doing anything. And he won’t stop here – I seriously want to see Buggy being credited for some of the War losses. Though, Buggy has to consider, that from such heights he will have a long way to fall down.
    On a more serious note, I still don’t understand who could have opened the gates if the control room is located in Marinford. All the possible traitors are still in place –if you mean Hancock, Kuma or Garp. Does it mean that Luffy has some more allies among Marine lines? Or New World pirates at fault here?..

Moment V

Sunny-go is bigger than Merry-go, but you know, it won’t really matter if all New World ships are like that.
    Wait, what New World pirates? Oh, those 43 ships that suddenly have appeared out of nowhere.
    This was one of the surely unexpected steps of Oda and Whitebeard.
    Ann allied fleet of New World pirates an total of 43 ships with infamous captains on board of each would be quite an useful asset in such a battle. With a whole fleet appearing around the isle of Marinford, Whitebeard has covered the gathered fleet of Marine battleships in order to not get distracted by them and to concentrate on the land forces. After such display of tactics, you understand they don’t call you a Yonkou for being a bishounen, right?
    You won’t call these pirates bishounen as well, but Oda has done a good job with their design nonetheless. Take a look at them – these are one bizarre bunch. Ulqiuorra with a pet monkey, Gerard Depardieaux with lightning like moustache, huge and curly potato-nose man and many more. Their ships are creative and fun as well – pandas and giraffes, bulls and cthulhus – and still they manage to look powerful and menacing compared to Merry-go or Sunny-go.
    However, I don’t really see them doing any leading roles in the coming War – for that purpose we will have Newgate himself.

Moment VI

... to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
    Speaking of which, where is The Strongest Man In The World himself? Or at least s ship of his?
    Well, the storming waves and bubbles coming up from the water might be hinting at something. As well as Akainu’s ear which received 2 panels – not only to hint at someone’s arrival, but to prepare us for the powers of the last admiral.
    And simply like that, without wasting anymore of our time, Whitebeard’s personal fleet rises up from the depths in the middle of the Marinford haven. The idea of coated ships was always out there – how else could have pirates travel from the New World to Marineford without passing through the Underater island? But really, I didn’t expect t to be executed so very effective – with this tactical move, Yonkou’s forces got marines encircled both from outside and inside. This is no easy task for Marines to break out of such a stranglehold.
    What is really important, Whitebeard’s own ships sure have got some style – you have got to love those smiling whale heads which distinguish the colossal Moby Dick and 3 other ships. Also, this simply explains all the disappearing scout ships of Marines –the world of One Piece was only now introduced to underwater warfare by Whitebeard himself.
    And returning to a previous moment, no, Whitebeard couldn’t have opened the Gates from under water. Even ignoring the possible physical impossibility of that feat, there is one other important point. Pirates simply came from the other direction and didn’t pass the Gates.

Moment VII

Am I great? This moustache proves I am great!
    As awesome Moby Dick can be, it is much more important who is on board of this and other ships: the 14 Division Commanders and all 1600 pirates of 16 Divisions of Whitebeard!
    ( You do remember that 2 missing commanders are Thatch killed by Teach and Ace beaten by Teach and waving from the execution platform at the moment? )
    But what are those Commanders compared to the Legend Himself – Edward “The Whitebeard” Newgate is actually here on stage. For the first time in 11 years we see The Strongest Man In The World standing tall and proud before the gathered forces of Marines and us, readers, talking to Sengoku like to an old buddy of his.
    To tell the truth, we all know for sure this scene doesn’t need any commentaries – Whitebeard is here, he has his terrifying kwan do spear lance weapon and he is going to be all kinds of awesome right here and right now for a long time of this War. And we know for sure that after such a sight many Marines will have to wash their pants – well, only after this all is over and they are alive.
    The Legendary Rival of the Pirate King has come. Thou shall be amazed, mortal!
    Even Ace welcomes his old man with awe and fear – he does realize how hard it will be for him when all of this is over.
    No, actually, change that “when” to this “if” – and we come to the conclusion.

Conclusion

Once again, we get a superb exposition chapter by Oda. Both of the fighting sides have arrived to the scene of the War. After the formal greetings and insults, The War will eventually begin. In the meantime, Luffy with his prison crew are going to arrive as well. With Oda’s current pace it shouldn’t take more than 2-3 chapters.
    Also, we have gotten quite a meaningful although short flashback which did some explaining and some grounding for the next one to come. Roger was displayed as a real flesh human and A Legend even more, Rouge was really beautiful and brave while Ace was whining like usual.
    In my view, this chapter had something in it, even more of it than the previous one.
    It makes you excited and gives you a strange feeling: The War Has Come.
    Am I right?

Bonus Moment

No Pandaman this week. Sad but true.
    Although the pwngoat is there. How could he not? His old rival, Whitebread, is here!

However, I want to dedicate the bonus Moment of this review to another detail and another character – Portgas D. Rouge.
    Look at the sixth page. We see the house of Ace’s mother – Rouge. And before the house we see a flower blooming at Ace’s birthday – when the marines are gone and Roger’s son is safe. This flower is none other than Rouge Cardinal which Rouge has worn in her hair.
    Truly beautiful. I love Oda for those details.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment! Feel very free, don’t be shy, comment!

Obligatory P.S. As you can see, I am not a native english speaker. Fell free to bash me for my mistakes
    Last edited by Aikyet; July 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: It is easier to do introductions than conclusions~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    It's been one chapter. Lets revisit this issue when the first volume is out and we actually have an idea of where the story is going? Though I guess my suggestion will probably fall on deaf ears and if/when it is cancelled, the 'I told you so' crowd will pop their collars in misguided and unfounded praise of themselves. ....Just another day in the WSJ thread I guess.

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seven Moments of One Piece Chapter 551

Really good.

I wonder what is the ship's bow of the new world captain'ship on the left of your moment V. Is this a pandaman ?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member enraI's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

great review

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Ace isn;t really emo. He just doesn't like his father...and besides he's about to be executed.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

i could be the revolunary army spies that could have open the gates.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raysen_ht's Avatar
    Sky... if u look carefully u will find me
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review!! I really liked the way you put your own personal views while describing what happened! Its so...ease... like you do it effortlessly, the text simply connect. I cant really describe it, but its awesome!

Have you considered that Vegapunk could be the one who opened the gates??

Also, i think that this "Ace beeing the son of Roger" was what Kuma said to Reyleigh at Shabondy, so maybe he has infiltrated the MH somehow..

Of one thing im sure! The Dark King is going to fight to protect Roger´s son! And the marines will have to "fight 2 legends at the same time" as Garp said. Unless Rey was defeated by Kisaru already (but i dont think he was...)
    A melhor thread, com as melhores pessoas, os melhores assuntos na melhor língua
    ___________Portuguese thread v.14 Entre e conheça!!__________

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all kind people for reading

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rayleigh View Post
    Really good.

I wonder what is the ship's bow of the new world captain'ship on the left of your moment V. Is this a pandaman ?
    As I see it - that thing definetely must be a panda
    However it can't be connected to Pandaman I think - he is only an occuring gag character.

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet View Post
    Ace isn;t really emo. He just doesn't like his father...and besides he's about to be executed.
    Or is he?

Well, you can guess that I am not too serious about this matter. I just felt like that - to tease some Ace fans
    On a more serious note, this chapter we got a really convincing and beautiful revelation of Rouge's sacrifice - and now we understand why does Ace respect his mother so much.
    However it is still unclear why Ace considers his father useless. That statement of his seems to be quite groundless and, well, whining. At least, until any further flashback

Quote Originally Posted by chihoho View Post
    i could be the revolunary army spies that could have open the gates.
    Well, it is possible. But how could they know that a ship full of Impel Down escapees is cominmg towards Marinford? Unless these spies are working under cover of simple marines - and are yet to be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raysen_ht View Post
    Great review!! I really liked the way you put your own personal views while describing what happened! Its so...ease... like you do it effortlessly, the text simply connect. I cant really describe it, but its awesome!
    Thanks, those are some nice words
    But really, it took me some effort - I had to spend some time to flesh out my thoughts.
    As I wrote in the review of the previous chapter - I have always enjoyed reading reviews here, at MH, so I might have picked up some ideas from awesome guys like sahugani or bittman

Have you considered that Vegapunk could be the one who opened the gates??
    Vegapunk? Not really. Vegapunk is going to be a key character interacting with the plot - but I don't see him as such at the moment.
    First of all, I don't know why, but I always thought that he resides in Marijoa.
    Furthermore, even if he lives in Marinford - and that would be quite logical since he is a Marine scientist - all the civilians were evacuated to Shabondy Archipelago. And a the scientist, Vegapunk must be counted as a civilian?
    Although one point still stands - Vegapunk might be quite independent and troublesome for the Marines - and as a result, does what he pleases. And in such a way, he might be at fault. But I don't really belive in that

Also, i think that this "Ace beeing the son of Roger" was what Kuma said to Reyleigh at Shabondy, so maybe he has infiltrated the MH somehow..
    Compared to all other things that Kuma might have whispered back then, this one is a possible version. It would be a subtle yet efficient way for Oda to bring Rayleigh to Marinford.
    Though, I myself think that Rayleigh was aware all this time that Roger had a son - since he was the last one who Roger visited before going to the Marines - and later has recognised Ace as such. Shanks did understand who Ace was - why couldn't more experienced Rayleigh do it?

Of one thing im sure! The Dark King is going to fight to protect Roger´s son! And the marines will have to "fight 2 legends at the same time" as Garp said. Unless Rey was defeated by Kisaru already (but i dont think he was...)
    Oh no, of course Rayleigh is in good health - he must have fled Kizaru since Kizaru couldn't really harm the Dark King
    And he might be ready to go to Marinford - this way another "worst scenario" will begin to play. But Rayleigh himself may be thinking otherwise - that his time is over and the new generation musr solve its [problems and overcome this crisis. On the other hand, seeing Whitebread back in action The Dark King might reconsider his decision

Well, as you see, I am not sure in anything at the moment
    It's been one chapter. Lets revisit this issue when the first volume is out and we actually have an idea of where the story is going? Though I guess my suggestion will probably fall on deaf ears and if/when it is cancelled, the 'I told you so' crowd will pop their collars in misguided and unfounded praise of themselves. ....Just another day in the WSJ thread I guess.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger didn't do much for ACE that whitebeard or Garp did. He never even saw ace. Ace grew up without a father until he met whitebeard. Whitebeard took him in as his own son.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aikyet View Post
    Thanks, those are some nice words
    But really, it took me some effort - I had to spend some time to flesh out my thoughts.
    As I wrote in the review of the previous chapter - I have always enjoyed reading reviews here, at MH, so I might have picked up some ideas from awesome guys like sahugani or bittman
    ...wait...what?

Sahugani I understand, but that second guy is a talentless white boy who couldn't commit to a rash let alone a review.

Anyway, your review was a great read. Bonus moments are so good I skipped the rest of the review to see what you'd found first and then backtracked.

And is that your emo Ace? It would totally be my new background if my laptop wasn't in for repairs...

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raysen_ht's Avatar
    Sky... if u look carefully u will find me
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes @Aikyet I know what you mean about not beeing sure of anything... Oda is too unpredictable for the human mind! its impossile to see what he is going to do!

Thx for the answears... and i still think that Vegapunk had something to do with it, but we will have to wait and see
    A melhor thread, com as melhores pessoas, os melhores assuntos na melhor língua
    ___________Portuguese thread v.14 Entre e conheça!!__________

Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LordZet View Post
    Roger didn't do much for ACE that whitebeard or Garp did. He never even saw ace. Ace grew up without a father until he met whitebeard. Whitebeard took him in as his own son.
    And isn't that that point? Roger had died before Ace was born. He died yet still had managed to secure Rouge and consequently Ace. However, Ace prefers to call such a father "worthless". In my view that would be a bit of ungrateful and, yes, once again, whining on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    ...wait...what?

Sahugani I understand, but that second guy is a talentless white boy who couldn't commit to a rash let alone a review.
    I kid you not!
    Really, for me those were some good times when sahugani was the Roger to your Rayliegh as you sailed the magical rainbow sea of reviewing hand in hand
    Your reviews had style. They were forged from solid cynism, carcasm, irony and humor melted together with good analysis and interesting ideas. I might be repeating myself but I want to be like you when I grow up
    I mean, how could I not enjoy something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by bittman
    While Rosward continues talking to himself, because people seem to have stopped caring a while ago, Usopp's butt delivers a frightening blow which they should have provided a freeze-frame, three-angled shot in honour of. What cracked me up was how Usopp, more reserved than a gay man surrounded by rednecks, was what clued the guards to the craziness of the Strawhats.

Anyway, your review was a great read. Bonus moments are so good I skipped the rest of the review to see what you'd found first and then backtracked.
    Thanks From the previous paragraph you can guess that I mean it
    But sometimes - especially now - it takes time to find those amazing little deatails behind all the amazing events, revelations and actions that take the main place on the pages.

And is that your emo Ace? It would totally be my new background if my laptop wasn't in for repairs...
    No, that sketch is the work of the great and famous e1n. That piece was used to campaign against Ace in Arlong Park Character Tournament 2009, I think.

Yes @Aikyet I know what you mean about not beeing sure of anything... Oda is too unpredictable for the human mind! its impossile to see what he is going to do!

Thx for the answears... and i still think that Vegapunk had something to do with it, but we will have to wait and see
    Unpredictable would be a bit of a strecth, people manage to guess some tendecies from time to time. But yes, to capture it fully and corectly is almost impossible. And that is one of the many points why I love One Piece the most

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aikyet View Post
    And isn't that that point? Roger had died before Ace was born. He died yet still had managed to secure Rouge and consequently Ace. However, Ace prefers to call such a father "worthless". In my view that would be a bit of ungrateful and, yes, once again, whining on his part.
    Knowing that whatever happens, he would die in the next months/years, it is possible that Roger decided to surrender at that time to protect Rouge and Ace. According to the history, it must be just after he met Rouge and behaved like a father that the crew was disbanded while Crocus had already left the Jolly Roger for quite a time.
    And the fact that he was thinking of Ace's future when he was in jail makes me think he did that on purpose. Besides, what Roger said to Garp when he was about to be executed has definitely saved Ace.
    So, Roger was everything except useless for Ace.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, considering Ace, Dragon, and Roger were among the enigmatic characters in the series, people never really thought about his heritage as much as, say, Luffy or the Straw Hats'?

Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rayleigh View Post
    So, Roger was everything except useless for Ace.
    Can't add anything to it

Quote Originally Posted by DARK View Post
    Well, considering Ace, Dragon, and Roger were among the enigmatic characters in the series, people never really thought about his heritage as much as, say, Luffy or the Straw Hats'?
    As I recall it, the question of Ace's heritage was always among the "hottest" - some facts like D - were already a legal grounding for theories. Unlike most of the Straw Hats

New Reply