Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A romance with bully-type lover?!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

A romance with bully-type lover?!

Yes, another topic regarding love and romance.

In romantic stories we see in shoujo/josei series, there are times when the lover, be it the boy or the girl, becomes quite the bully-type person. That is also known as the tsundere type, who loves to bully, acts like he/she doesn't care, says something mean, or even acts cold towards the others while the truth is the opposite.

What do you think of such situation? Do you like it or hate it? Do you prefer it over the normal, sweet, shy, lovey-dovey type? Or do you find romance in which the characters are often fight with one another but actually love each other is more interesting?

Share, share!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A romance with bully-type lover?!

Both male leads from Vampire Knight can be quite the bully. Kaname and Zero both could be a bit nicer to Yuki.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how they treat the other. I'm not a fan of the guy "raping" the girl, like how whatshisname fingered and groped whatshername in Ren-Ai Shoujo-Shoji or however yu spell it. Although she did want it, she was resistant. However, had he just played with her without touching her no-nos, I wouldn't have minded.

Though to be honest, I don't think I've seen as much tsundere, at least for shoujo, to really give an honest opinion without sounding like an ignorant.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Both male leads from Vampire Knight can be quite the bully. Kaname and Zero both could be a bit nicer to Yuki.
    As long as they still show some love to her... I guess it is okay?

I do wonder, though, if both the male and female are tsundere-type. Just what kind of relationship they would have? :3

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    It depends on how they treat the other. I'm not a fan of the guy "raping" the girl, like how whatshisname fingered and groped whatshername in Ren-Ai Shoujo-Shoji or however yu spell it. Although she did want it, she was resistant. However, had he just played with her without touching her no-nos, I wouldn't have minded.

Though to be honest, I don't think I've seen as much tsundere, at least for shoujo, to really give an honest opinion without sounding like an ignorant.
    Well, the tsundere type is not really a type which is that 'wild', I guess... :P
    Tsundere is mostly associated with cold words and appearance, though not really in that brutal physical situation. It is just sad and annoying that their actions hurt the others, even though the feelings are mutual. Though perhaps it spices the story even more. XDD

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    It depends on how they treat the other. I'm not a fan of the guy "raping" the girl, like how whatshisname fingered and groped whatshername in Ren-Ai Shoujo-Shoji or however yu spell it. Although she did want it, she was resistant.
    Wait, what ? Why does this sound so familiar?

I agree with Vampire Knight, sometimes they behave like jerks.
    Maybe it's because japanese still believe man are better at stuff than woman, I don't know.. but sometimes I really
    hate how some mangas depicts girls.
    Fight back, fight the bully, give him a hard time, be strong, not just stand there.
    Moving on, I think the one I know are from Boys over flowers , where the girl was constantly bullied
    by what, the entire school? That was pissed off material right there I was reading/watching.
    I'm actually a bit surprised with how the story turned out in the end.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I am in the mood for "abusive" shoujo stories. That's what I'd like to call it. Or the plots with some kind of twisted obsession perhaps.

A very clear example is Hana Yori Dango- and it's a classic shoujo at that. Domyouji was such a bully! That the slightest hint of kindness caused me to blush.

Also, a manwha- that I had long promoted but nobody seemed to care (sigh) Girl in Heels tells an odd developing relationship between the worst and cruelest delinquent (guy) and the prettiest girl in school. It's a bizarre attraction, with quite the physical violence.

Stories like these sometimes I love to read because of the intensity of emotions and the passionate display of love, hate, and desire. These emotions most characters cannot discern from each other and makes the stories all the more interesting and vibrant.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm~
    Indeed we mostly see the cases in which the females get bullied by the boys. I wonder if there is any series in return? That should be just fair. XD Though I didn't know the culture of Japanese thinking women lower than men?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Tsundere boys...
    The normal tsundere is okay, I guess... when it gets extreme... thus, the bullying.

I think there are a lot of tsundere boys who like to bully the girl, but mostly the case is the girl is too dense to know she's being bullied.

Ya know.. I think Len Tsukimori can be counted as a bully... though it's only when it concerns violin lessons though... Remember all those harsh words about Hino's playing? Gee, that hurts.

I honestly prefer the normal tsundere ("Don't get this wrong! I'm not doing this for you! It's for me!") who I think is really cute but extreme tsundere ("Why do you think I'm doing this for trash like you??!!") is too much .. especially if there are bullying and stuffs...

About girls bullying boys actually they are soooo common. Expecially if the girl's an extreme tsundere like in Zero no Tsukaima. The girl seriously treats the boy like he's lower than dog.
    Last edited by yukihime03; January 09, 2012 at 04:26 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

right now I can't think of any stories where the girl does the bullying. Except Suzumiya Haruhi. She's such a bully. -_- To boys and girls alike.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gravitation I think his name was Yuki, the tall guy. First ever yaoi series I have seen. But he was always acting tough, taking control and acting like he didn't care and said harsh things.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nodamechi's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I like when in the story either the boy or the girl does the teasing. If it gets out of hand that it becomes a bit too much, but in general i like it. Hana yori dango was one of my first ever manga, so I guess even though the bullying does get quite heavy, and there are a few scenes which are almost scary, I still can't hold it against Doumiyoji, who's a real good tsundere without any sense of self-awareness whatsoever
    I actually quite like the tsundere type all the more in yaoi to be honest. i think one of the best ever tsundere i've seen is Souichi in "the tyrant who fell in love" *___*
    I just can't get enough of how he can't figure out his own feelings at all and keeps being kind of a bully to Morinaga XD!!

but yeah... i guess you could consider this series a quite hardcore sometimes...

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to MangaHelpers and Shoujo/Josei section, Nodamechi!

By the way, as for me, I somehow prefer the boys to be the one to bully the girls. Not because I prefer boys over girls in status or whatsoever... It just feels more natural... and more lovely... and more romantic for things to go that way. XD Since that's part of boys' natural abilities, in addition to that they are mostly clueless about such thing? :P

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Just. No.

But on the flip side, I think it still depends on the one who's being bullied of the said lover.
    If the bullied one of the lover is understanding. Letting the outbursts of his/her partner with a smile.

I think that's adorable.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi moniker, can you elaborate why you seem quite adamant against this sort of plot device? ^^ welcome to MH btw.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Hi moniker, can you elaborate why you seem quite adamant against this sort of plot device? ^^ welcome to MH btw.
    Hello baboysai-senpai.

Thanks for the welcome. c:

Ah, well you can say I take this in personal perspective and from experience.
    I take this character trait personally, perhaps?
    Though sometimes I don't...I'm quite neutral.
    Since like I mentioned on my first post above, it depends to the reaction of the being bullied one.
    I can tolerate such personality if the counterpart doesn't fight back. I don't know, I feel it just gets annoying when if they bicker over something trivial.
    But most of the time as much as possible, I'd like to keep away the distance if If I encounter as such.

I like honest people. If they're mean out of honesty though, still tolerable.
    But if they're mean and a bully in no apparent reason, no.

It's not like I hate Tsundere, it's just I have my own preference of Dere.
    I like Yandere and Dandere; mostly neutral to Kuudere.
    Last edited by moniker; March 10, 2014 at 02:39 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast