Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The quality of Anime Subs.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gcat88's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The quality of Anime Subs.

A lot of people always wonder which sub is better which one is the one that i should actually DL. i think this is something that should be discussed here. which are your fav. subs and which series do they sub?? are they worth spending the time to DL??

Puella Magi 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Galth's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The quality of Anime Subs.

Ah, there's just such a myriad of groups nowadays that it's rather hard to just stick to one. What I usually do, at the start of a new anime season, is check out whether any of the groups that I know to be known for quality fansubs is subbing the series I'm interested in watching, and if they aren't, I'll ask some friends for advice on which group to follow, or I go and download all versions of the first episode released and compare their quality to decide which group I'll be following for the rest of the series.

It's generally easier to tackle this sort of question per series (and ask such questions in the respective threads), but if you want to talk about fansub groups in general...

Some of the currently active groups that're usually doing pretty well when it comes to fansub quality (at least in the series that I've watched of theirs) would be ones like gg, BSS (and gSS), Conclave, Mendoi (and Menclave), Frostii, Eclipse... For example.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^QFT

I have a lot of the same habits.

I have a few standards by which I judge a group; if they use good raws not the first raws upped. Do they translate into readable English, I don't like mentally correcting grammar while I watch TV. Finally, I like groups that maintain a regular work schedule; they don't have to release the same day raws are out, but I won't wait two weeks to watch a weekly show either.

All of the groups Galth named are very good, consider them part of my list. In addition I like Chihiro, Static Subs, m.3.3.w., Live Evil, and Thoranime. Timeless Subs do fantastic work with JDrama.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Boagrious's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Subs don't matter to me as long as I can read the manga before the Anime is released.
    Why so Serious?

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    All of the groups Galth named are very good, consider them part of my list. In addition I like Chihiro, Static Subs, m.3.3.w., Live Evil, and Thoranime. Timeless Subs do fantastic work with JDrama.
    Static Subs is an okay group, their translations are pretty good at least (same goes for m.3.3.w), but they tend to pick only mediocre shows to sub, for some reason, hmm. Live-eviL's quality varies a bit between releases, as far as I've noticed. As for ThorAnime... They're often, but not always the only ones who release an anime series from it's BluRay release raws, and that's why I download from them a lot, but their quality is inconsistent, because they borrow translations from other groups who released from the tv airings, most of the time. And for the series that they did translate themselves (their earlier shows), those were often riddles with typoes and some grammatical errors, hrm... Also, I tend to dislike their font choices, more often than not, but that's just me. >_>

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member death4578's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galth View Post
    Ah, there's just such a myriad of groups nowadays that it's rather hard to just stick to one. What I usually do, at the start of a new anime season, is check out whether any of the groups that I know to be known for quality fansubs is subbing the series I'm interested in watching, and if they aren't, I'll ask some friends for advice on which group to follow, or I go and download all versions of the first episode released and compare their quality to decide which group I'll be following for the rest of the series.

It's generally easier to tackle this sort of question per series (and ask such questions in the respective threads), but if you want to talk about fansub groups in general...

Some of the currently active groups that're usually doing pretty well when it comes to fansub quality (at least in the series that I've watched of theirs) would be ones like gg, BSS (and gSS), Conclave, Mendoi (and Menclave), Frostii, Eclipse... For example.
    Only problem with Menclave is they are slow as hell They finally finished subbing Macross Frontier 1 year after the end of the airing But probably one of the best groups out there

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Menclave has gotten incredibly slow... Another reason that I don't download from them often is that they're usually on the wrong side of fansub wars, hehehe. But nonetheless, their quality is usually superb. (Though in the case of Macross F, I still prefer gg's subs).

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner plutie's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like galth said, theres alooot of groups out there. And the most important thing is to look for a serious and active group, thats where you find good subs.

It's good to know some japanese to, if the groups does some wrong typing it doesent bother me as much as it did before.

So, the most important thing is to look for a serious group that has a website or atleast irc and doesent drop everything they sub and sub certain parts of series and drops fillers.

Taxi.

New Reply