Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Can't find a job? So sue...

  1. #1
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Dark-san's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    你永远想不到的地方!
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Can't find a job? So sue...

    In this time of economic recession, many of graduates find it hard to secure a permanent job when companies implements hiring freeze, wage cuts, retrenchment etc. But just one particular lady did the unthinkable after she only found herself jobless for only 3 months! 0.0

    Spoiler show


    Unthinkable right? In my case, my university only help us out in term of arranging networking sessions or job fairs. Other than that you are on your own. I could sympathize with her because I graduated last year December and it was like 6 months before I finally got one just a few weeks ago. And it is like twice of what she underwent. ._.

    Either way, she will look set to lose this proceedings for this one. In this period of time when you know that you are really hard on looking for jobs, there are always something to do.
    • Go freelance.

      Be an entrepreneur. Open up your own business. If you don't have the cash, go set up an online business. It doesn't cost much to set up a virtual shopfront these days with sites like blogspot. =)

      Or with your networks, try taking into several projects and doing them yourself to earn some quick cash.
    • Go work part- time/ contract

      Even though it might not be a permanent job. At least it helps to bring in the cash on a temporary basis.
    • Approach recruitment agencies/ networks

      Something it is good to approach your friend and through him, who knows you might land yourself a job. Or another thing is that you can approached to one of this recruitment agencies and they could link you up on a job.
    • Go for industrial training

      I have been attending industrial trainings for 3 months prior to getting this job under a government backed scheme. It helps pass the time more easily and also you could learn something from it.
    • Go indulge in your hobbies/ Take a break or go on a holiday

      If you can afford it, go on a short trip. Freshen yourself and before starting on the job hunt again.

    My final advice is to stay active, be positive and do not be choosy about jobs. Like what I learn from an online pal (kudos to Ikcud), just take up whatever you can now. This isn't a time for us to dwindle around. >.>l

  2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #2
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Chidori602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    something I hate a lot, is poor people suing rich people.

  4. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    This is the reason why I always advise my students to do their best in studying because the best opportunities come to people who gave their best efforts while they were still in the academe.

    Anyway, this is practically a good thread,

  5. #4
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    My at home.
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by steelwingcrash1 View Post
    This is the reason why I always advise my students to do their best in studying because the best opportunities come to people who gave their best efforts while they were still in the academe.

    Anyway, this is practically a good thread,
    No I disagree, the ones who actually attain success are creative people and those who think outside the box.

    Fcebook CEO was a college student, he created a social website and bam in less than ten years he is among the richest entrepreneurs.

    Do you think he would attain something like that if he persued his studies ? I don't think so
    My advice to you is to think outside the box, and do .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

    Steven Hyde

  6. #5
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    I don't really want to spend much time on searching for a job, so I should be glad that there are next to no problems to find one with the subjects I plan to chose my study out of (chemistry, engineering, medicine).

    Quote Originally Posted by dark lord View Post
    No I disagree, the ones who actually attain success are creative people and those who think outside the box.

    Fcebook CEO was a college student, he created a social website and bam in less than ten years he is among the richest entrepreneurs.

    Do you think he would attain something like that if he persued his studies ? I don't think so
    My advice to you is to think outside the box, and do .
    That sounds like a gambling. Without money, contacts and a really great idea, such a project will fail. With those things, it still has a good chance of failing.
    The safest way certainly is to start with a study which has at least realistic chances for a job and begin to work normally, when some time for a crazy project remains in the middle of that, then it's fine.


    About that case of suing: If the university promised aid in form of counsel or something like that, it would be partially replicable why someone would sue, if they don't recieve that service. But this case just sounds stupid nonetheless. Not only that it's only three months, but also that the university insists that they gave the promised advice as well as the fact that she's getting so frustrated about getting a job after having a bachelor in IT. There should be enough options... First, it can't be too hard to find a job with that, perhaps she's just really bad with applications.. Second, if it is, then it probably is because the request for people with a master graduation are requested more, so maybe she should try that.

    I don't know how that situation is like in the US, but I recently read that the bachelor isn't really requested in Germany (Bachelor and Master are still quite new here), but rather people with master graduation are wanted. The whole Bologna-Process (which was supposed to simplify and assimilate the studies and graduations -Bachelor & Master- throughout the EU) is still under heavy critics, some universities even went so far to allow their students to gain the old engineer diploma instead of a "master of engineering" again.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; January 02, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

  7. #6
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member AnkorSVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Hmm looking on the ppl in this discusion so far im on eof the older one.

    I hope this post will contain something usefull appart from a lot of cursing.

    Im a this year graduate i got my title in September instead of June, you could say the main reasons were bigger scale changes probably coming from the Bologna-Process which Roflkopt3r already mentioned.
    My biggest mistake was that i believed i as a student have also some rights not only obligations, well looking on it after some time its laughable how naive i was. Especialy when im more the paranoid one.
    Another mistake was i didnt cheat unlike 80% on one lesson i wanted to do in the fair -way

    So now i have a Bachelor degree in Electrical engineering (officialy), however i studied 3 years car-electronics . So due to the changes which should have assured the ability to get the degree done before start of the next school year under other made me loose one year because they postponed it a bit to much

    Even if i try to enroll the next year im not sure if i pass the entrance exams cos my major doesnt exist as master and for other i miss some subjects

    Now about the job hunt. Im unemployed now and get no money so looking for work or go for a job interview abroad isnt that easy either.

    Most jobs in my field or fields i may be able to work in demand experience but no one wants to give the opportunity to get it.

    Roflkopt3r form what i see the probability that they will look only for masters is lowering every month so unless your government gets qualified ppl from abroad you may be able to find a job or at last a trainee program as a bachelor quite hight.
    From what i see the companies started to pull down the required education so that they may somehow be able to find ppl with work experience.


    At the moment im waiting for some companies to reply but it not really that high probability for it to happen.

  8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #7
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by AnkorSVK View Post
    Roflkopt3r form what i see the probability that they will look only for masters is lowering every month so unless your government gets qualified ppl from abroad you may be able to find a job or at last a trainee program as a bachelor quite hight.
    From what i see the companies started to pull down the required education so that they may somehow be able to find ppl with work experience.
    Well, I'm not sure if that's gonna happen quite soon in Germany. It seems that some of the subjects are quite useless without Master. The newspaper featuring that article interviewed some people who started searching for a job after graduating as Bachelor, and most said that they only got really bad offers far under their qualification, because German companies didn't react to the changes at all. The companies however say that they like the new graduations - leaving the question why they offer so few jobs to people with bachelor.

    However, right now I plan on studying until master anyways, but I didn't even start yet so there's a lot of time to decide that

  10. #8
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member AnkorSVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Roflkopt3r >> well im gonna tell you looking on it from my point in my country.
    Unless you lived under a rock the last 5 years you may have noticed the huge amount of industry most car (Kia, PSA) end also electronics (Sony-now Foxconn).
    Its nice but the leading of the companies are smart asses who can make insane profit on paper but not in reality.

    All the companies came here and the only thing they can do is stealing ppl with experience from companies which came a bit sooner (doesnt work like they would like). Also a nice idiocy is that they demand experience on such positions which didnt exist here before (no interest in working in neither Bachelor nor Master).
    Another pissing fact despite the opportunity of taking graduates "haft-time" who would be paid by the unemployment office (tj 185e for 80 fours of work).
    They would get an opportunity to train and test a new employee free for 6 months, but like i said no interest they want "complete" employees (education (doesnt matter i saw them taking someone with School leaving exam if he had some experience)+ experience).

    So from my point if you get an opportunity to work with Bachelor grab it, you can finish you master by the work, it doesnt matter which field.
    To tell about the stuff you may learn at the master 4-5th year its not that great at last not in my country equipment old (so old my father ma have learnt with some of it), or so small amount that there are several ppl on one-this goes especially for books never books almost not exostent or 1-2 pieces for 30,50+ students

  11. #9
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Queenofmuffins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stalking people in South East Asia
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    To be perfectly honest, I think it also depends in what her degree is in... For example, some jobfields need people more than others. If her degree is something like "Analysing Socio-Economics in Children's Literature", she's probably not going to find a job as quickly as someone with a degree in say, I.T.

    Fact is, if she desperately needed a job she could have one- her local McDonalds is hiring, I bet. Not an ideal job but it's a job.
    She can't sue her college for not being able to find her a job in her chosen field. Problem is, some kids have the "Uni is the answer to everything" mentality, and so they don't work any jobs at all and focus on their studies. Not ness. a bad thing, but then they are shocked to find themselves unemployed when they leave Uni because they essentially have zero job expierence and people aren't that keen on hiring them. Uni is a lot of work for what is essentially a piece of paper. ^^;

    Come by and ask me questions!
    ~Ask me thread~

  12. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #10
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenofmuffins View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I think it also depends in what her degree is in... For example, some jobfields need people more than others. If her degree is something like "Analysing Socio-Economics in Children's Literature", she's probably not going to find a job as quickly as someone with a degree in say, I.T.
    According to the quoted article:
    Quote Quote:
    She is seeking to recover $70,000 (£42,000) she spent on tuition to get her information technology degree.


    $70,000? Oh right, it's quite expansive in the U.S. to study, isn't it? I heard that most students of medicine got an incredible pile of debts after graduating when they weren't wealthy before already.
    Seems still to be not too hard in Germany with max. 500€/semester (depending on the federal state, some don't take any money -mainly those in eastern germany- and the others between 200 and 500€)

    I'm curious, does a thing like Bafög (Federal Law on Support in Education - "Bundesausbildungsrderungsgesetz") exist in the U.S.? It's a law which gives people in certain ways of advanced education (such as attending a university) a maximum of ~590€/month, of which half is free and half is an interest-free credit. (Of course it has certain requirements to recieve it, depending on the personal capital and income - people who have more money don't get anything or less)

  14. #11
    Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Why is there a discussion of a court case based on a media report rather than the actual facts described in the filing? Many cases look ridiculous on the surface, but start making sense only when you read the actual court documents.

    This particular case is probably all about the contractual obligations the university might or might not have had. And that depends mostly on what EXACTLY they promised. A promise under many circumstances would constitute at least a verbal contract. If you don't know these facts, you can't possibly discuss the merits of this case, much less ridicule the plaintiff.

  15. #12
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by cmertb View Post
    This particular case is probably all about the contractual obligations the university might or might not have had. And that depends mostly on what EXACTLY they promised. A promise under many circumstances would constitute at least a verbal contract. If you don't know these facts, you can't possibly discuss the merits of this case, much less ridicule the plaintiff.
    There are some points which give a slight impression of why this is at least likely to be a stupid case, even though you might call that superficial as we cannot know the absolute exact situation:
    1. How much help does she exactly expect for finding a job? Many people just go to the employment office, have a fifteen minute talk and know what they have to, it's not that hard to find basic information about how to apply properly.
    2. How comes that it's so hard for her to find a job, although she graduated in IT? It seems relatively likely that she either wrote very few applications or very bad ones if she's so desperate which that situation. Or is the situation in the US that different? In Germany, the quota of IT graduates without a job is next to zero.
    3. The university said that they provided the support they promised, which of course is not a proof though.

  16. #13
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,312
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Or is the situation in the US that different? In Germany, the quota of IT graduates without a job is next to zero.
    In the US, it's very hard to find a job due to the bad economy and companies moving out of the country and hiring workers in other countries due to the workers' cheapness. More oldfags are being fired, so it is pretty hard for newfags to find a job... decent job in their major anyway.

    However, despite the guarantee the university may have made, the woman herself should know there's no 100% guarantee that she'll get a job. On what basis is she saying that they did not try hard enough? The fact that she doesn't have a job? To me, it looks like the family's trying to get out of paying the university. I'm not saying the university is innocent or completely innocent though.

    However, universities are too freakin' overpriced anyway. We're basically paying over 10K for a degree or degrees that may never get us that good job we wanted or help us make enough to repay the debt.

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  18. #14
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by dark lord View Post
    No I disagree, the ones who actually attain success are creative people and those who think outside the box.

    Fcebook CEO was a college student, he created a social website and bam in less than ten years he is among the richest entrepreneurs.

    Do you think he would attain something like that if he persued his studies ? I don't think so
    My advice to you is to think outside the box, and do .
    If we are referring to the general employee or worker, I have to completely agree with you that the real indicators of success are creativity and passion for one's work.

    But, it seems we are dealing with the case of the fresh graduate in here who cannot find his first job.

    As a fresh graduate...

    1. What official credentials do you intend to show to your prospective employer? Let us take into account that you have no work experience yet. This is the worst question for most new graduates:

    "Have you had any work experiences before?"

    Of course, chances are, you do not have any real answers to this one. So the employer goes on with the next one:

    "You're a fresh graduate, right? May I see your grades when you were in college?"

    So, you oblige dutifully.

    "Are you a laborious worker? Are you prompt in deadlines, official times, etc.?"

    You answer a very proud "Yes."

    The employer looks at your official records and chooses between the three options:

    a. "Your performances in college were very astounding. I definitely think you will soon be an asset in this company."
    b. "You had OK grades back then. Let's see you improve in this company."
    c. or "You say you are a dedicated worker but why did that not reflect when you were in college? What happened?"

    2. You can never impress your employee with glib and/or smooth talk. The employer will need evidences on what you claim your personality is. More likely, he will check your grades. Are you an efficient and respectful employee? He will soon do a background check and the like.

    Thus, as a teacher, I believe that grades are highly important in seeking for better opportunities. I know that there are some people who did succeed in life just by being creative, but just as Rofl said, it's merely a game of chance for them.

  19. #15
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Queenofmuffins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Stalking people in South East Asia
    Country
    Australia
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Can't find a job? So sue...

    Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    According to the quoted article:

    Oh, whoops. Didn't see that there. My bad. ^^;

    Still, I personally don't she's tried hard enough to find a job. Maybe she's looking for an 'ideal' one.
    I know when my friend wanted to get work in I.T and found it difficult, he applied for a Tech bar job in telstra, worked in their stores for about four months then moved onto the actual I.T part of his job.

    Come by and ask me questions!
    ~Ask me thread~

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts