Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: How to make the character look the same in all angles

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

How to make the character look the same in all angles

when i try to draw the same character in several angles it never looks exactly the same
    There's any technique to help it or is something only pros can do?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to make the character look the same in all angles

Really, your best bet is to pick up some reference books such as Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth or How to Draw vol. 1 by Wizard Magazine, and really concentrate on mastering anatomy and figure drawing. Doing alot of life drawing and gesture drawing (quick sketches of poses captured from live reference) will be very helpful as well.

Of course, since manga characters aren't built with photo realistic anatomy (ex. bigger heads, smaller torsos, slimmer abdomen) you'll want to adjust the lessons accordingly. For manga bodies I usually use the value 1 complete body = 5 1/2 heads (normal human height is 1 body = 7 heads)

It'll take a while to master and it's a lot of hard work, but when you get the structure of the body down your art will be all the stronger for it.

You can also try doing character turnarounds, though these are really annoying and boring to draw. If you want to make sure everything lines up as planned, a turnaround acts like a character blueprint.

Last edited by GPAnthony; August 27, 2009 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Yabe's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GPAnthony View Post
    You can also try doing character turnarounds, though these are really annoying and boring to draw. If you want to make sure everything lines up as planned, a turnaround acts like a character blueprint.
    I agree totally.
    I don't think that there's actually the technic but to keep up the practice on drawing the same character in different angles until you get used to it. It's a pain and it's really tedious, but it can really make you become more comfortable in alternating the motions of a character later on. My additional tips are before drawing, always taking note and memorising the certain details of your character's characteristics, e.g. the shape of the eyes, eyebrows, lips, nose, hair, etc.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Perspective's a b---- (especially like top view or super low/high angle). If you can look for it, I recommend "How to Draw Manga: Putting Things in Perspective or How to Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style: All About Perspective" as a good resource material. When I say resource material, use it when you get stuck don't follow the thing word by word.

---

(My friend always complained to me saying that he didn't want to buy those books because he knows how to draw and he's usually thinking not to draw that artist style, but THAT IS WRONG. It's just teaching you techniques that you can use to solve certain problems.)
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you're talking about i have some painful times drawing perspectives :\

New Reply