Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Persona 4 The Golden Animation

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Persona 4 The Golden Animation

Persona 4 The Golden Animation

Episodes: 12
    Aired: Jul 11, 2014 to ?
    Producers: A-1 Pictures, Aniplex of AmericaL
    Genres: Adventure, Mystery, School, Sci-Fi, Super Power, Supernatural

Synopsis
    Adaptation of Persona 4's remake video game, Persona 4 The Golden. The story retells the events of the original while featuring a new character, Marie.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Persona 4 The Golden Animation

This is on my to-watch list right now, and I'm wondering if I can jump right in without any knowledge of the previous seasons or the game itself. Is it like the Tales of... series where each game has a separate story?

I've heard about it quite often, but I don't want to get utterly confused. The series/game interests me so I don't mind watching the previous seasons if push comes to shove.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    This is on my to-watch list right now, and I'm wondering if I can jump right in without any knowledge of the previous seasons or the game itself. Is it like the Tales of... series where each game has a separate story?

I've heard about it quite often, but I don't want to get utterly confused. The series/game interests me so I don't mind watching the previous seasons if push comes to shove.
    Although the events of Persona 4 happen two years after the events of Persona 3, you don't need to know what happened in the previous game/show. The first animation was basically a 1:1 adaption of the game.
    I can't say for sure how much this show will cover, as Persona 4 Golden was just an updated version of the original game.

The trailer says "3 years after Persona 4 The Animation" which could mean they transformed it into a sequel - I rather don't say what I'd think about that - and you'll need to watch/play the previous show/game but the clip itself looks like no time skip happened...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    Although the events of Persona 4 happen two years after the events of Persona 3, you don't need to know what happened in the previous game/show. The first animation was basically a 1:1 adaption of the game.
    I can't say for sure how much this show will cover, as Persona 4 Golden was just an updated version of the original game.
    That's good to know. The world of Persona seems rather broad considering the fact that it's a successful game and anime franchise.

Quote Quote:
    The trailer says "3 years after Persona 4 The Animation" which could mean they transformed it into a sequel - I rather don't say what I'd think about that - and you'll need to watch/play the previous show/game but the clip itself looks like no time skip happened...
    If I understood correctly, this Golden Animation is different from The Animation? It surely complicates things, but I'll watch an episode or two anyway. If it confuses me, I'll go back and watch the original.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    That's good to know. The world of Persona seems rather broad considering the fact that it's a successful game and anime franchise.

If I understood correctly, this Golden Animation is different from The Animation? It surely complicates things, but I'll watch an episode or two anyway. If it confuses me, I'll go back and watch the original.
    I never played Persona or Persona 2, but I thinks that only P3 and P4 happen in the same universe. The Persona/Demons/Summonings are usually the same though.

Well if this show really ends with just 12 episodes then it will either rush through the original plot which makes no sense or it really starts three years after the original show.
    I really recommend to watch the original show first because you could get spoiled big time.

EDIT: After watching yet another preview it looks like a remake. I have a bad feeling...
    Last edited by Skyguardian; July 03, 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguardian View Post
    I really recommend to watch the original show first because you could get spoiled big time.
    I'll take your word for it then and will watch the original while waiting for this one. (I hate being spoiled... )

Quote Quote:
    EDIT: After watching yet another preview it looks like a remake. I have a bad feeling...
    A remake, eh? So the plot will be similar to the original? I wonder why they decided to do a remake instead of making something new.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ep1

Pretty problematic due to the fact that little to no time is spent on introducing any characters or anything, though assuming its made in mind for people that watched the first season and played the game then that doesnt matter. But then the problem comes up that nothing is linked by any sort of storytelling just feeling like random scenes chosen to make the anime 23 minutes.

There were minor additions I liked that made it feel a bit better than the first anime, for example running through the town to reach the apartment complex in this area that made it briefly feel like a dungeon crawler (versus just randomly appearing at the room). Marie scenes are good too since well apart from Margaret and the seasoned citizen she was the only interesting female character on cast.

What I loved the most was, step on up to the plate, cause this aint no game, its time to make history yeah. Best battle theme. I watched the scene multiple times. Never gets old even after spending 120 hrs in the first playthrough.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read on Anime Suki, this is like a New Game+ and I can see that's true. Yu is more confident and engaging compare to the first anime series. I when he sang Junes' theme song and laughed when he talked back to Morokin. Likewise Izanagi is way overpowered and easily defeat the enemies.

The first episode is pretty fast-paced so if you haven't watch the first series, you'll be confused. The series is more focused on Yu's interaction with Marie, which I don't mind since it's entertaining. The ending was great especially when she was mortified to discover that Yu was listening to her impromptu poem.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay everyone who has not seen Persona 4 The Animation or at least played the game once, don't watch this!
    This is basically a new game+ speedrun (he likely has his social skills maxed out too, hence the scene with the teacher) with a Yu who is completely overpowered. I mean Izanagi with Ziodyne spam and Megidolaon from the get go?
    Seems to me that the main story line is completely irrelevant at this point. They did arrive in the room but they completely skipped the important part here...

Marie with that voice... That is overkill too... I only knew the english one so far... I guess they will animate the important social link events. Although they skipped a lot here too...
    It is not the best choice to introduce Marie like that. They decided to make her the "mysterious" tsundere and went with the look out scene from the start... (<___<) Well at least there was a poem...

If they don't animate the valentines day event I will never forgive them for butchering everything else...

PS: Break screen with Persona 3 uniforms... Awesome!
    PS2: And all social links in the opening. Oh~

Preview: Kanji... Already? Scooter scene... Already? What do they even want to animate here?

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

According to this post, these are the attacks that Izanagi used:

Concentrate -> Maziodyne -> Atom Smasher -> Myraid Arrows

Anyway, it looks like the show is focusing more on the social aspects of the game as well as Yu's interactions with Marie. Poor Yu! I understand that feeling in the game when you try to fit in all that social links. At least Marie makes new friends and seems to have fun. The ending when Yu came home was touching; I think he likes spending time with Nanako the best.

The new OP and ED were pretty good too.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 7:

They have 12 episodes and are almost done with the main story... 5 episodes left... The whole thing with Adachi was done quite well. Sure it was way too fast paced but still good. Yu using Magatsu Inzanagi was a nice move as well. But I had a big problem with the appearence of Ameno-Sagiri.
    He was basically the big bad at this point. He had quite interesting lines and then he just appears without a word and gets one-shotted right after that? What the hell?

Izanagi appearing in front of Marie was done pretty well though. Didn't expect that.

Next time playa-christmas? Lol.
    Last edited by Skyguardian; August 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the fight with Ameno-Sagiri was rushed imo, but I guess the animators figured that everyone saw the first anime to know what happened in the end.

The next episode is going to be interesting though I have a feeling it's not going to be what we expect.

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Did I miss something?

---------- Post added August 30, 2014 at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was August 23, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

According to the official Twitter, Persona 4 The Golden Animation volume 4 will include a new "Another End" episode titled "Thank you Mr. Accomplice." The BD/DVD will be released on December 10, 2014.

Nice!

Episode 8:

Seeing the second opening of the previous Anime version again sure felt strange.

The amount of misunderstandings was godlike... Yu asking Rise to go shopping with a straight face... That was beyond awesome.
    Like basically every moment of this episode. Just comedy gold and a memory he'll never forget...x'D

PS: I know this is animated but... How is Naoto able to make her big breasts disappear like that every time... Which kind of magic is she using?

So next time we get the beginning of the ski trip... It is about to begin.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad they are animating best ending that whole episode on adachi did feel like they could have gone into it.

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

A whole episode for this ending will be nice indeed. They did a good job with the Jester / Hunger SL in P4GA.
    But I still prefer the happy ending.

---------- Post added September 07, 2014 at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was August 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM ----------

Episode 9:

What a nice trip. Naoto is so damn adorable. She is probably the most girly character in the cast if she isn't in ace detective mode. I want her to be my waifu again.
    Anyway... The cast finally remembered Marie although it was a bit different than in the game.Not that I mind that much. They probably go for Marie as the main love interest (if at all) so Yu had to end up in the cabin alone.

Next week we are finally in the Hollow Forest!

New Reply