Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: General Mobile Phone Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Phone Thread

Somehow my S3 already has jellybean. Not sure how that happened but who am I to complain? As for the size, I thought it would be a bigger hassle but it turns out it fits quite nicely into my pockets. Its just about an inch longer than my old BB however its significantly thinner. As it turns out the phone being very long is not nearly as inconvenient as it being thick (like my old BB) so in many ways its actually more comfortable. Being as thin as it is it slides quite nicely into my pocket and out.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I needed two hands in order to type, while I could type with one hand with my iPhone, not to mention that it felt stuffy in my pocket when I tried it. I'm going to buy SGS3, but I'm looking for better alternatives first, if there's any.
    Meh, I can type or swype well with just one hand, it wasn't a big deal for me.

My SGS3 is pretty thick though.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, got a question here. Anyone knows what is a good password manager for android(preferably free)? I have read quite a bit on the topic but I just can't decide on one.

Well, the samsung galaxy S3 is 1.2 mm thicker than the iphone and it is within 1 mm of the rest of the competition. I don't know how much of a difference any other particular phone would make in that department. If thinness is that big a deal then iphone would be the way to go. Otherwise there are quite a few other phones which are well worth the look, HTC has some pretty good ones.
    I found this page useful in comparing a few phones (there are more in the market out there though).
    http://www.gizmag.com/smartphone-com...901/pictures#1

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Samsung Galxy S4 - rumored preview?

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Ok, got a question here. Anyone knows what is a good password manager for android(preferably free)? I have read quite a bit on the topic but I just can't decide on one.

Well, the samsung galaxy S3 is 1.2 mm thicker than the iphone and it is within 1 mm of the rest of the competition. I don't know how much of a difference any other particular phone would make in that department. If thinness is that big a deal then iphone would be the way to go. Otherwise there are quite a few other phones which are well worth the look, HTC has some pretty good ones.
    I found this page useful in comparing a few phones (there are more in the market out there though).
    http://www.gizmag.com/smartphone-com...901/pictures#1
    SGS3 is thinner than iPhone.... At least, I think it is.

Normal SGS3:
    Spoiler show

My SGS3:
    Spoiler show

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I needed two hands in order to type, while I could type with one hand with my iPhone, not to mention that it felt stuffy in my pocket when I tried it. I'm going to buy SGS3, but I'm looking for better alternatives first, if there's any
    Smaller hands. I'm similar to you, I prefer 4.0-4.3" phones over >4.7" phones because of my hand size. While the bigger screens are lovely to look at, it's so awkward to hold and use for some. I recommend two phones for you, Doraku. Samsung's former flagship; Galaxy S2. And the HTC One S.

Both are able to run 4.1. Unless you play a lot of games on your phone, I don't think you'll miss having four cores over two (not when both are running Jelly Bean). They're about the same more or less, one having something the other doesn't. S2 has removable battery and microSD slot, One S has the nicer display and better industrial design, Samsung has a better track record with updates than HTC (I don't doubt S2 will get 4.2.1), and One S subjectively has the better camera.

Though, if you don't absolutely need one at this very moment, I say wait a little bit. The annual MWC (Mobile World Congress) event is coming up soon in Barcelona, where everybody reveals all their new phones that'll be coming out this year. So it might pay to wait a little to see if anything catches your fancy.

Quote Quote:
    Iphone 5 is not selling all that well because it was not a huge innovation to begin with. Half the new stuff it had was already available in competing phones a year early. More so, the S3 came out months earlier than the iphone 5 and it still has things which the iphone 5 simply does not. Their last few phone models have barely been marginal upgrades from the previous version at large. Other than the large screen there really is no reason to change from an iphone 4 to 5 to this day.
    I think you've got the iPhone 5 hardware mixed up with iPhone 5 software. iOS 6 was a train wreck. That's why Cook went so far as to offer a public apology over the fail that was Maps, as well as firing Forstall (the software head of iOS).

In-cell touch, is something not many phones have (save for the Nexus 4). And they've undeniably put the fastest silicon they could at the time of release. Nexus 4 arguably has the latest and greatest under the hood right now (quad-core Krait + Adreno 320 combo), but it came out after the 5 did. But overall, the A6 SoC trumps the Exynos 4 (S3) and Tegra 3 (One X), if we're talking about number crunching. Noise-cancellation during calls is also something I don't see many phones have. The screen increase was marginal at best, but that's more to do with the limitation of the OS (there's a reason they could only increase resolution in one direction) holding it back. While iOS 6 might have been a fail, their hardware are generally good. There is a reason to change from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5, as there is reason to change from a Galaxy S to a Galaxy S3. (I think the phone you were thinking of is the 4S, no reason for 4S owners to change really.)
    Last edited by Knifeshade; January 20, 2013 at 03:51 AM.
    -

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone root, jail-break or muck-about with their smartphone? Pretty much every android phone I've had over the past couple of years I've rooted to my liking. Sometimes its been great, sometimes I screw over my phone real bad. Last year I scrambled my phone so bad I just had to replace it completely (but it was an old phone, so I think it was at its limit anyway).

I really admire people who can modify their appliances to their liking, but for me to learn coding would take much more time than I am willing to give. Still, its fun to follow a programmer's instructions and its a nice feeling to be able to customize your phone and optimize it to how you want.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    Does anyone root, jail-break or muck-about with their smartphone? Pretty much every android phone I've had over the past couple of years I've rooted to my liking. Sometimes its been great, sometimes I screw over my phone real bad. Last year I scrambled my phone so bad I just had to replace it completely (but it was an old phone, so I think it was at its limit anyway).

I really admire people who can modify their appliances to their liking, but for me to learn coding would take much more time than I am willing to give. Still, its fun to follow a programmer's instructions and its a nice feeling to be able to customize your phone and optimize it to how you want.
    I shall introduce you to my younger brother - he roots everything even his note 1 -

He has the note 2 or 3s features on them.
    Last edited by Charlie; January 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried rooting Droid X but it wasn't until a month or three before my contract was over that I found out Droid X made itself unrootable. never tried rooting my SGS3 because I feel it'd be too dangerous.

Plus, I don't see the need to since I'm happy with my phone the way it is.

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I've contemplated the idea of rooting my One X but its performance is already very good, the only reason why I'd root is to add Titanium Backup and Tasker; so that I can fine tune how I want to run to a tee. There's many ROMs out for rooting. I always look at this guy's page for display designs, some of which can be done without rooting. They're brilliant.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Running mine on stock, albeit with Nova Launcher on top (and other bits and bogs to make it look more Nexus-y). Might go down the path of rooting and custom ROMs if I never get a Jelly Bean upgrade. God damn HTC and their slow updates.
    -

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Which phone do you have?

I got the 4.1.1 update(Jelly Bean irc) in december; .

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Which phone do you have?

I got the 4.1.1 update(Jelly Bean irc) in december; .
    HTC Desire X (with this home screen). Was an impulse buy on Black Friday. =_=

I'm not holding my breath, but I can't imagine HTC just updating their high-end devices (a grand freaking total of 3) and neglecting their mid-range. That, and my phone only came out in August/September.

HTC has a pre-MWC conference on February 19th. So we'll see.

Also, BlackBerry 10 gets announced tomorrow~!
    Last edited by Knifeshade; January 30, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
    -

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to wait a while for mine, after it was announced. So I don't think they're in a hurry to do so for mid-range products. They really should get it out there.

I've been eagerly waiting for the release of the BB 10 OS; to see the extent of changes and how it compares to android and ios. I've seen a few videos around, one especially of the app world, which I've never really liked and found lacking when I had my Curve. So I hope that has been improved.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, goldb, does your notification LED only blink for a short amount of time when you receive text messages/emails?
    -

New Reply
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast