Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The Curious Case of Credits

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DelGrecco's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Curious Case of Credits

Really a non-issue, but I was wondering what everyone thought of crediting with solo groups? After I credit the translator, raw provider, and proofer I just put Scanlation: DelGrecco and leave it at that. Though ages ago when I was a fansubber I always felt compelled to list out the various things (editing, timing, etc.). Perhaps it's just being older that I'm fine with saying the broader heading or maybe even the assumption that most people in the community know the things that go into scanlating.

Like I said, not really an issue, just curious about people's thoughts. I'm planning on keeping my credits as they are, but any thoughts will be interesting.

MH Senpai 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DrPepperPro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Curious Case of Credits

Most people put "editing" which entails the cleaning and typesetting. Scanlation usually means the group name of all who were involved, which is why joint projects usually have multiple credits pages or at least some acknowledgment of multiple groups, and who did what in each group.

Not that yours counts as a joint project, but people might think that DelGrecco is a group with multiple cleaners, editors.

In the end it doesn't matter though hardly anyone reads credit pages.

Also I'd like to encourage putting the credits at the end.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member unok-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrPepperPro View Post
    Most people put "editing" which entails the cleaning and typesetting. Scanlation usually means the group name of all who were involved, which is why joint projects usually have multiple credits pages or at least some acknowledgment of multiple groups, and who did what in each group.

Not that yours counts as a joint project, but people might think that DelGrecco is a group with multiple cleaners, editors.

In the end it doesn't matter though hardly anyone reads credit pages.

Also I'd like to encourage putting the credits at the end.
    In my opinion, a scanlation needs a raw, a translation, cleaning (except for MQ volume scanlations or LQ magazine scanlations), typesetting; and optionally, proofreading, translation check, and quality check. If all of those parts are done by people that belong to the group releasing it, there would be no need for credits unless the people involved want to. If there are parts done by people who don't belong to the group, they must be always credited (and that's usually the case with raws and translations).

If you're the only person in the group, you can group everything you do as "editing", but you need to credit the raw and the translation anyways.

And by the way, credits page should be put at the begining, to let leechers get a chance to know who does each part. If they don't read it, it's their problem. But putting it at the end, most leechers won't even realize there's a credits page...
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Also working on another project that you might get to see in January...

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DelGrecco's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I have gone back on forth on whether or not to change the credit page to say Editor: DelGrecco instead of my usual Scanlation: DelGrecco. I think I'll keep it as is for now.

I also agree about credit pages being at the beginning. Even if someone just shoots right past it to get to the manga, there's that few seconds where they'll see some of the names of people involved.

Down the road If I ever do a joint release, I think I'll follow how it was done for the later releases of MxO. I really liked how their credit pages appeared. Though that assumes I would be posting the final release and not just submitting work to
    someone else

Thanks again.
    Last edited by DelGrecco; August 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM.

New Reply