Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: How to clean Fairy Tail MQ/HQ...???

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty How to clean Fairy Tail MQ/HQ...???

Sorry, I am newbie here....

I Want to ask to seniors...!!!

How to clean Fairy Tail MQ/HQ...???

I will Gratefull if you help me...!!!

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Ask] How to clean Fairy Tail MQ/HQ...???

...The same way you clean any other manga to MQ/HQ?

Going to need a little more to go on than just a goal. Can we see some examples of your current work? Or are you starting from scratch? Some details need to be given before we can do much to help you.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

@[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

I usually clean Naruto with SF or Your RAW...

I used Neat Image and Photoshop CS3 for cleaning...

Fairy Tail RAW is very different with Naruto RAW...

It's not work with Neat Image....

Can you explain to me???

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjust your settings? The stuff which you do to one set of RAW pages doesn't necessarily mean that it'll work for another set.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adexkai View Post
    I usually clean Naruto with SF or Your RAW...

I used Neat Image and Photoshop CS3 for cleaning...

Fairy Tail RAW is very different with Naruto RAW...

It's not work with Neat Image....

Can you explain to me???
    I highlighted your initial problem. I also spotted another one, but I'm refraining out of courtesy.

Denoisers are a plague on cleaning and completely unnecessary. It takes me all of 2 minutes to find decent levels for Bleach every week that can be used on every page with only a single minor adjustment for each, if that.

The major difference is that I work on full color images right off the bat, so I also play around with the selective color and hue/saturation options. I've never worked on a FT page, but looking at one, I'm getting a real One Piece vibe from the art. There's a lot of detail in there that you need to try to preserve during the leveling process. That means you have to be gentle during the initial levels.

A greyscale raw takes about 2-4 separate levels to bring it up to a workable point, depending on the quality. Don't push them too far and, if you think the image can't take it, back off a bit. Once the leveling is done, you have to reframe the panels. Don't go nuts in covering up parts of the frames themselves, but a pixel here or there won't matter much in the long run. The art, after all, is usually drawn to be centered in the frame.

Once you've reframed, you have to zoom in and touch up the damaged art. Any black line that has become 'broken up' and now has flecks of grey needs to be touched up. I generally work at 4-500% zoom with a 1px brush.

We can cover patterns when we get there.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member unok-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude View Post
    I highlighted your initial problem. I also spotted another one, but I'm refraining out of courtesy.

Denoisers are a plague on cleaning and completely unnecessary. It takes me all of 2 minutes to find decent levels for Bleach every week that can be used on every page with only a single minor adjustment for each, if that.

The major difference is that I work on full color images right off the bat, so I also play around with the selective color and hue/saturation options. I've never worked on a FT page, but looking at one, I'm getting a real One Piece vibe from the art. There's a lot of detail in there that you need to try to preserve during the leveling process. That means you have to be gentle during the initial levels.

A greyscale raw takes about 2-4 separate levels to bring it up to a workable point, depending on the quality. Don't push them too far and, if you think the image can't take it, back off a bit. Once the leveling is done, you have to reframe the panels. Don't go nuts in covering up parts of the frames themselves, but a pixel here or there won't matter much in the long run. The art, after all, is usually drawn to be centered in the frame.

Once you've reframed, you have to zoom in and touch up the damaged art. Any black line that has become 'broken up' and now has flecks of grey needs to be touched up. I generally work at 4-500% zoom with a 1px brush.

We can cover patterns when we get there.
    Let me highlight the important part of his question: MQ/HQ is not HQ (actually I guess the rating he really means is just MQ, not MQ/HQ, which is a kinda... ambiguous rating). Leaving apart blacks and artwork, grays look better denoised than just leveled (of course, it's a lot better with redrawed patterns and all that stuff you HQ groups do, but most of us don't have the time or the staff or the will needed to do HQ cleanings). Of course, I'm not trying to turn this thread in a filters vs patterns discussion, I'm just pointing out that you, being an HQ scanlator, want to make everyone do HQ cleanings (even if that's subconsciously).

Besides, depending on the denoiser used and the threshold, you can get fine grays (as fine as possible, that's to say) without loosing details in the artwork. And apart from that, I do rotate and reborder. The only problem is that I shouldn't burn, but I'm reducing it.
    Currently translating Raruto, a Spanish parody of Naruto (getting ready for the last two chapters, to be released in English in October and November). Check it out here!

Also working on another project that you might get to see in January...

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wade69's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Use the diffuse filter and set it to multiply, its probably one of the better filters out there if you want to use a good denoise filter that won't destroy the art or greys very much.

http://senbonzakura.kageyoshi.net/20...iffuse-filter/

Follow that tut and it will probably put out MQ/HQ if you do it right, but sometimes because raws are always different you will have to adjust some settings in it.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

How about this...

Please give your comment about my works....

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member deJeer's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    that's over filtered

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member L0ki's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, that's not even close to MQ. Try profiling a white area and resizing to 4000px before applying the NI. But it seems the biggest problem is that it's way too overleveled, you have to use the brush or the burn tool to fill the blacks and clean the dust, the leveling/denoising won't do everything for you.
    Last edited by L0ki; August 27, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

@All

Can you give the good tutorial for clean Fairy Tail???

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member deJeer's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

hem...
    Indo aja yak
    sebenernya sih sama aja clean apapun
    tergantung dari file raw nya
    penliain mereka sama kan?
    punya lo itu overleveled
    kalo buat yg item,..
    mungkin kamu ngejelasinnya terlalu banyak pake burn tool
    jadi kaya vexel gt
    mending semua proses dilakuin saat ukuran raw asli...mungkin 4000px
    jadi lebih enak
    dan typeset ma redraw line pas udah di resize
    hehehe

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member NymphStealer's Avatar
    Country
    Guam
    Post Thanks / Like

tinkerin round w/ a fairy tail page w/o the use of filters or replacement to fix the patterns and still get the page decently cleaned... i came up w/ this...

big image... tried to keep it at a decent size so ya could see what i did...
    http://skols.net/Bleach/nofilterpatterntut.jpg

i tried to explain what i did the best i could... my hand writtin sucks and i have poor grammar/spellin (me and spell check dont get along) ... or well i could prolly fix it but i usually type like how i talk... so hopefully ya can understand it.... my friends all know i suck at explainins stuff... if need more of an explanation ill try my best to tell ya...

oh and btw if wanna know page woulda took me bout 45min-1hr w/ this method and doing manual cleanin and touchups... cleanin out the blacks and fixin line art is what woulda took the longest w/o usin filters...
    Last edited by NymphStealer; August 29, 2009 at 08:36 AM.
    KuroKishakai
    dA gallery for manga stuff uploaded random times
    dA gallery for 3D art haven't really done anything for this acct. lately
    my spellin/grammar sucks really bad... i know and youre just gonna hafta get over it..

New Reply